Rosebank - Ships Nostalgia
18:53

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Rosebank

Old 4th November 2007, 00:46

Rosebank

The first Bank Line ship I was really happy to sail on was the Rosebank. The only picture I have of her was taken leaving Capetown by the local ship's photographer. Not sure if I'd be permitted to copy it for this web-site.
Anyhow, I had just been put ashore from the Northbank (Kent the ....) and had a spell in hospital in Colombo then flown to Calcutta to join the Northbank. What a fantastic difference in ship management! Everyone on board so very pleased with themselves. Even the Chief Engineer, who had his son as 2/Eng doing all his work for him, as he had come out of retirement to make up the compliment! Their names were Boyd.
The 2/O was Brian Lucy who I believe went on to work in the London office. A great guy! We sailed from India to S.Africa thence to south, central then N. America where I paid off and went home to take my 2/O ticket in 1963.
Anyone else remember that trip?
BFN Howard
Old 5th November 2007, 12:42
Waighty Waighty is offline   SN Supporter
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2009

Brian Lucy

Brian is retired and living in Norfolk. He jointly runs the Bank Line Association with Albert Scales and Andy ????? (name escapes me). The Association meet up at a hotel in West Bromwich every two years - next one October 2009.

Cheers, Waighty.
Old 27th November 2007, 00:42

Brian Lucy

Just to let you know I have caught up with Brian(By email). Thanks for that waighty!
Old 8th December 2007, 14:35

Smile Northbank and Rosebank

I was fortunate enough to have sailed on both the Rose and the Northbank. My first trip as apprentice was on the Northbank in 1964 whilst the Rosebank was a coastal voyage just getting in a week or two's sea time in ready for sitting my 2nd mates ticket. Yes I have very fond memories of both trips although they wer'nt so fond at the time.

Boxers
Old 8th December 2007, 16:37
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings Boxers and welcome to SN. Plenty of ex Bankers on site. Enjoy what you see and bon voyage.
Old 8th December 2007, 20:03

My location
Welcome from the North-West of England.

I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian
Old 17th December 2008, 20:00

Rosebank

I had a brilliant trip on the Rosebank in 1972, as a cadet. The usual US Gulf>Aus>New Guinea>Samoa and back. Ah the copra bugs, especially those baked in the bread.
Attached photo was taken at in Houston and does not reflect the mood on board, someone's idea of a joke. Never found out who did it but it was painted out pretty quickly!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg houston_1972 .jpg (22.2 KB, 74 views)
Old 20th December 2008, 14:50

Welcome Boxers! I've just posted some Bankline related photos. One includes self with 3/E and Sparky on Rosebank way back in 1963. Just in case Brian is surfing around! Merry Christmas !!!!!!! Howard
Old 29th December 2008, 05:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waighty View Post
Brian is retired and living in Norfolk. He jointly runs the Bank Line Association with Albert Scales and Andy ????? (name escapes me). The Association meet up at a hotel in West Bromwich every two years - next one October 2009.

Cheers, Waighty.

How does one get in touch with Albert scales. I sailed with him on the Fleetbank in 61/62