Doxford Engines 3-legged - Ships Nostalgia
23:32

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Doxford Engines 3-legged

Old 4th November 2007, 01:53

Doxford Engines 3-legged

I am researching details of 3-cylinder Doxford Engines built prior to turboblowers becoming standard about 1940.
A few main features I've found out so far but need verification: 1. They are famous for economy (helped win the battle of the Atlantic). 2. The throw of the crank for the Upper Cylinder was half the throw for the Lower Cylinder. 3. Some may have had open crankcases. 4. The scavenge pump was driven by a pair of parallel levers connected to the upper No 2 cylinder con rods. 5. Their Engine Frames were cast rather than fabricated.
I've been trawling the www for details so I can build a representative model. There must have been hundreds of these 3-legged Doxfords built but now its hard to find enough drawings to show how they were made and operated.
I'd be very appreciative if any reader could throw some light on this not-too-distant piece of Marine Engineering history.
best regards,
Jolee
Old 4th November 2007, 01:28

There was a 3 cylinder Doxford on at least 1 of the following China Nav. ships ..... Shansi, Soochow, Szechuan, Sinkiang all built UK 1945/46
Old 4th November 2007, 03:41

I am no engineer but I am pretty certain that the smaller Prince Line ships had three cylinder Doxfords, the bigger ones had four. Examples would have been the Northumbrain Prince and the Cyprian Prince. Built late forties early fifties, had steam auxiliaries too.
CBoots
Old 4th November 2007, 08:00
andysk andysk is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1978

I'm not an engineer, so I may be barking up the wrong tree, but didn't the Science Museum in London have a Doxford engine 9n display once upon a time ?

Cheers
Andy
Old 4th November 2007, 08:31

As Demodocus has written at least one of the immediate post war S class ships built for China Navigation was a three legged Doxford. This was the Soochow built by A & J Inglis Ltd Glasgow in 1947 using an engine recovered from a vessel sunk in the Mersey. This was the story accepted by all onboard in the late fifties, including myself. The other three ships were four cyl. Doxfords.
Old 4th November 2007, 15:19

My location
The Denholm ore carriers of the late fifties, early sixties all had 3 cylinder Doxfords.
Crinan, Craigallian,Naess Trader,Clarkavon, Clarkeden, Wellpark.
Old 4th November 2007, 15:33

Doxford Engines - 3 Legged

Jolee,
On Google just type in 3 Cyl Doxford and surf the sites,
Plenty of information to answer most of your questions

Doxford-Engine.com/Family Origins.htm

www.Doxford-Engine.com/brief_engine_history.htm

Happy surfing.

Archie.
Old 8th November 2007, 08:14

Thanks to Archie and everyone else who has replied.
Old 8th November 2007, 08:48

The "Nancy Dee", ex "Hughli", built in 1943, was powered by a 3-legged Doxford and when I sailed on her in 1969 ran so well that if the rest of the ship was equally good she would still be trading. It ran like a sewing machine, even at 26 years old.
Old 21st November 2007, 02:35

3-cyl doxford x two

I sailed on the mv Tamele (elder dempester)
Twin thre cylinder side scavenge doxford.
War time engine room. One SW pump backup from ballast pump.
Little to look after so all well kept.
Old 24th November 2007, 07:44

I sailed, 1966 - 69 on the Black Prince built circa 1956. Three cylinder as did many of the Medi boats fro Prince Line as noted above. Starting handles at the end. I think it was Hawthorn Leslie built but cant quite recall. I guess they maybe stopped building around 1956 but not sure. Usual Doxford features, water cooled pistons, spherical bearings. For the record two boilers, steam auxiliaries, not a diesel aux in sight! Full sea revs was 115rpm I recall but certainly fuel pressure on starting was 600psi...now what else? Sorry but no open crankcase. Great engines and I am a B&W man!
Old 24th November 2007, 07:45

Oops...fuel pressure was 6000psi...sorry bridge failed to start!
Old 24th November 2007, 11:08

hi jolee, iwas on the british drummer 1951she was a 3 cylinder doxford oppoesed piston engine as her sister ship british bugler but i pumpman so not much help to you sorry. albert.s.i
Old 24th November 2007, 11:48

I can scan G.A. drawings of a three cylinder engine and a section through the scavenge pump if you wish.
Old 28th March 2008, 17:16

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolee View Post
I am researching details of 3-cylinder Doxford Engines built prior to turboblowers becoming standard about 1940.
A few main features I've found out so far but need verification: 1. They are famous for economy (helped win the battle of the Atlantic). 2. The throw of the crank for the Upper Cylinder was half the throw for the Lower Cylinder. 3. Some may have had open crankcases. 4. The scavenge pump was driven by a pair of parallel levers connected to the upper No 2 cylinder con rods. 5. Their Engine Frames were cast rather than fabricated.
I've been trawling the www for details so I can build a representative model. There must have been hundreds of these 3-legged Doxfords built but now its hard to find enough drawings to show how they were made and operated.
I'd be very appreciative if any reader could throw some light on this not-too-distant piece of Marine Engineering history.
best regards,
Jolee
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...n/OldTimer.jpg

DOXFORD: 520LB3 for the first "ECONOMY SHIP'S

Note:
* Upper Piston Cooling with outlet "dipper pipe"
* On the left: The 3 Fuel Oil Pumps with accumulator bottle on top.
* Sight Glasses on the Crankcase doors.

Regards
Alfons
Old 28th March 2008, 17:56
Department: Engineering
Active: 1967 - 1980

My location
3-Legged Doxfords

I sailed on B.I.'s "Purnea" in 1970. She had a 3-legged Doxford, two Scotch boilers, all steam auxiliaries, main-engine driven lub. oil and cooling-water pumps. Ran like a dream when you got her settled down, but being single-handed watches you needed the 1-hour notice for arrival standby to get the steam driven pumps warmed through. I'm sorry I can't give you a lot more of the kind of detail you're looking for, but after almost 40 years, the old memory is not too reliable. But I'm sure a bit of judicious Googling will fill in some gaps.
Old 29th March 2008, 20:23

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolee View Post
best regards,
Jolee
3 Cylinder DOXFORD with open Crank Case

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...DERDOXFORD.jpg

Alfons
Old 19th September 2011, 14:02

i was jnr engineer on mv ravensworth in 1971, from memory she had a 3 legger doxford with circular scavenge, built 1960. converted to pipelayer flexservice 1, still working AFAIK
Old 19th September 2011, 17:45

The China Nav vessel MV Chefoo (sp) which was on the Papua New Guinea service out of Sydney about 1970 and renamed Island Chief was 3 cyl Doxford. She was built in Hong Kong at the company shipyard and the engine was also built at Taikoo yard. The neatest, trouble free Doxford that I sailed on. 6 months on her and not one stoppage
Old 20th September 2011, 14:38

I have served on a Post War 3 cy unit which was in the Egton, however, the pre War 3cy was (barring for the Scott-Still) one of the most highly rated Marine Engine's available at a mechanical efficiency at about 82% other's being around 73%

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel

Last edited by chadburn : 20th September 2011 at 15:02.
Old 22nd September 2011, 04:52

The La Pampa (buries Markes) was also a 3 cylinder doxford 1950-55.I only stood by her and was resting from a 6cylinder job.Only half the trouble I thought.
Jim Garnett
Old 22nd September 2011, 08:10
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 1960

I was deck apprentice on the Furness Withy mv Sagamore in 1959. She had a 4 cyl. Doxford. From the deck point of view it was matter of faith when docking with a full load of ore that the engine room could actually start it in reverse when we wanted to stop. It had after all a direct drive, and if I remember rightly we ran it at 104 rpm most of the time.
Old 28th September 2011, 11:55

How about this 3-legger? And everything goes around as it should!

http://oi52.tinypic.com/2v0muyd.jpg
Old 28th September 2011, 20:45
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Dockworker
Active: 1970 - 1982

Thr mechano version probably has more nuts and bolts than the real thing, but I prefer the model tool kit especially if I have to fetch the spanners
Old 28th September 2011, 21:57
stores stores is offline   SN Supporter
STORES

doxford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillytoes View Post
How about this 3-legger? And everything goes around as it should!

http://oi52.tinypic.com/2v0muyd.jpg
THAT IS FANTASTIC.