Ships Nostalgia banner

Brocklebank lads how old are you!

12K views 113 replies 40 participants last post by  charles henry 
#1 ·
As the clocks tick on it may be interesting to learn of the age of the Brocklebank contributers, that is they do not come all over coy!
Seeing all the wonderful posts of the old days in the Ma---'s it truly seems like a different world now.

Celebrated the big 72 on 9th November.
Apart from a few twinges here and there cannot complain too much. Must have been the good feeding and tender loving care from the bestest company!

#7 ·

As mentioned in Colombo Memories, I was 73 on Nov 7th and still as fit as a Malley Bull. Joined the Magdapur on the 20th October 1955 as a very raw young Electrician. I should claim the title of Senior Ancient Mariner of the Electrical Fraternity T & J Brocklebank,The Honourable Ken, do I have any competition ???
Yours on Bended Knee
Ken

#11 ·
Colin did you sail with Allan Atack ; Engineer while you were with Guinea Gulf by any chance ?
. I know he did a few trips down there and bought a Parrot ( African Gray ) which he named Sapoli . Strange bird ! It could be handled by men but would attack and bite women !
Regards Derek

#12 ·
Sorry Derek, don,t recall the name Allan Atack. African Grays were a favourite purchase down the coast as they are renowned for their great ability to speak. Quite a few of the would be Empire Builders who we carried as passengers would purchase them prior to their return trip back to the UK. It was amazing the amount of foul language they picked up from the crew on a trip from Lagos to Liverpool.!!!!! Best Regards Colin

#16 ·
Moving along - I was 74 last month. Beginning to think the decade 1950-59 saw the last hurrah of the British MN. Glad I was at sea throughout it. Bit of arthritis in the hands and have had to change my golf grip to something called the baseball grip - sometimes it works sometimes it don't! Otherwise I keep takingthe pills. Salaams

#18 ·
Hi All
I guess I am in the middle group looking to become 67 next birthday. The strange thing is that although the face looking back at me in the mirror looks different to the picture in my discharge book, I still feel like the young twentysomething that sailed with Brocks in 1963. Inside though I could'nt run to save my life.

#21 ·
I'm only 71 so I'm not quite as delapidated as some of the older Bracks men.

I still remember spark transmitters, ships taking off the tops of their funnels (Manchester Ship Canal) and lights on the front whilst going through Suez.

- and some of the good curry meals we had in those ships!

#22 ·
Been 69 since June. I still dream of wireless rooms, a sort of snug paradise. Brass aerial switchgear, CR100, rotary transformers in the cupboard, A Siemen's SB186 transmitter in the bench. A large neon tube on the bulkhead flickering as I work the key. Having a beer on Sunday lunchtime in Birkenhead with off duty ladies of the night... Anton Justman's Shag, Fair Maid (only tobacco that is).
Everything was perfect except for the coffee the 'boy' brought mid morning. I used to say 'little sugar'... (Tora Chinee?) but it seemed to get sweeter, my gums used to retreat in fright. I'm still recovering so I have it black now with no sugar.
I've just remembered the cockroaches! And the Auto Alarm going off in the eye watering Red Sea static. And the sweat dripping off my forehead onto the Basildon Bond as I tried to write home.
But young ladies did not have studs like rivets all over their faces...
It was not quite paradise but I'd like it all again.

#37 ·
Been 69 since June. I still dream of wireless rooms, a sort of snug paradise. Brass aerial switchgear, CR100, rotary transformers in the cupboard, A Siemen's SB186 transmitter in the bench. A large neon tube on the bulkhead flickering as I work the key.
Harry,

I think we sailed together on the old 1917 Maihar about 1960.

If I remember correctly your wife came along for the ride.

I seem to remember the radar on the Maihar was a war surplus Admiralty unit which required you to get up to change the range.

Ian Roberts Brocklebank Apprentice & 4th Mate 1958 to 1962 which makes me 65 and still active, only surrendered my ticket last year due to medical reasons.

#26 ·
I am 67 & 10 monhs!!

Joined Malancha in 1956 at 16 & 6 months after 2 years & 6 months on H.M.S. Worcester. Wondered if this could really be what the Merchant Navy and Brocklebanks was like sailing with Capt. Nutall. Then Mahseer, Makrana (from new for 2 years,Apprentice & 4th Mate) and Manaar on the "Car Run".

Met my wife when up for 2nd Mates and the thought of 5 or 6 months away did just not bear thinking about. Joined McAndrews for 3 or 4 week trips to the Med with 2 weeks in UK at the end (all on full Fgn Going seatime as wewere on Running Agreements).

To this day I wonder what ship I would have been sent to as Third Mate had I returned.

Next contact with Brocklebanks was as a Tees Pilot where I was just senior enough to do large cargo ships before they finally stopped running. PilotedMahout, Markhor, and Maihar to & from Middlesbrough Dock.

Regards, Tony Crompton

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.