Umkuzi/Clan Angus - Ships Nostalgia
11:12

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Umkuzi/Clan Angus

Old 25th November 2007, 07:52

My location
Smile Umkuzi/Clan Angus

Phil Roe here, ex-Brock's.
I wonder if any of you Clan Line chaps know anything about the old "Clan Angus"? I was in Colombo on Brock's "Matheran" (J4/E 1961-62 and subsequently promoted to 4/E after 3/E had an accident and had to be hospitalised in Suez homeward-bound) when our 2/E, Dick Hope, spotted the "Angus" coming in and said, "I sailed on her when she was Bullard-Kings "Umkuzi". Once she's tied-up I'll take you aboard and see if we can have a look round the engine-room".
As we were walking up to her you could just make-out "Umkuzi" underneath her new name of "Clan Angus" which bore-out Dick's recognition abilities!!!!
We were given permission to have a look round the engine-room and, as it was the first large up-and-downer I had ever seen I was absolutely amazed by the huge size of the engine!!
The engine-room was extremely dimly-lit, from what I remember, having a tiny little generator chuffing-away to itself.
It was several years, previously that Dick had sailed on her but he remembered the engine-room lay-out perfectly showing me various bits-and-bobs in and around both the boiler-room and the engine-room itself.
I wondered if anyone remembers her and who she was built and engined by. Salaams, Phil Roe
Old 25th November 2007, 08:25
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Phil

Clan Angus Built 1942 as Empire Prince by Caledon, Dundee, Bonnie Scotland, 1945 purchased from MOWT, renamed Clan Angus, 1956 transferred to Bullard King & Co., renamed Umkuzi, 1959 reverted to Clan Angus, 1962 scrapped.
Old 25th November 2007, 11:00
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1973

Phil,
Her tripple expansion engine was built by the North Eastern Marine Engineering Co. (1938), Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
Regards,
Alastair
Old 25th November 2007, 21:25

My location
Thumbs up

Many thanks to both Alastair and gdynia! What a great site this is! I don't think I've yet seen any query that hasn't been replied to! Thanks again chaps! Salaams, Phil
Old 26th November 2007, 12:21
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

SS Clan Angus Built 1942 (Ex as above)builders as above. 431.3 x 56.3 x 35.2.
3 cyl; 24 1/2, 39 x 70" stroke 48". 3 single ended boilers at 220psi.
2 decks, cruiser stern. DF,ESD. code flags GIFG. British flag registered Glasgow.
Old 27th November 2007, 11:24
andysk andysk is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1978

Phil ...

If you can get hold of a copy of the new Clan Line book**, there are pictures of all three of that class (Allan, Alpine and Angus) in their various guises, as well as a bit of history of how they came into the fleet.

The Alpine, of course, was the one that ended up in the paddy field after a cyclone near Chittagong on her scrap voyage. There are a number of threads here about that incident.

Cheers

Andy

** by Roy Fenton, John Clarkson and Archie More, & published in September 2007 by Ships in Focus

Last edited by andysk : 28th November 2007 at 09:50.