Can anyone help - Ships Nostalgia
04:31

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Can anyone help

Old 30th November 2007, 15:33

My location
Can anyone help

Hi all, can anyone help. I have a Fujitsu Siemens laptop on a wireless Belkin 54G router. The problem is when I secure the system I cannot get on the Internet myself, unsecured the whole shooting match works perfectly. Fortunately I can disable the security. What am I doing wrong.
Old 30th November 2007, 15:47
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1955 - 1960

Graham,

When you say "secure the system" are you talking about the security settings internal to the router? (i.e. WAP/WEP etc)

Has it ever worked with your current settings? or is this a new set up you are trying out?

I have a Belkin 54G router here with 2 pcs securely attached - we should be able to compare notes....!
Old 30th November 2007, 16:03

My location
Hi Ted,
Not being a boffin and completely computer ignorant, I think you may be correct when you say "internal to the router". I have had the lot for about 10 months and the wireless connection has never been secured, a mate set it all up for me ,but unfortunately he has now moved away. Would appreciate any help you could give.
Graham
Old 30th November 2007, 16:19

My location
You should be able to access the router on line and check the attached devices. That should also allow you to enable each device.
Don't know that particular router so Ted is probably your best bet.

Kris
Old 30th November 2007, 16:36

My location
Hi Ted,
Talking about " an unsecured wire less connection" Does this help and do you know how I can secure it ?

Thanks Marconi sahib, this may help somewhere along the way. (told you I was computer ignorant................Helppppp )

Graham

Last edited by Graham McMorine : 30th November 2007 at 16:40.
Old 30th November 2007, 20:01

Hi Graham!

Please type this in on your http address page at the top of internet explorer:-

http://192.168.2.1

That's the IP address of your belkin box.

What you should see, once you press enter, is the opening page of the belkin setup screen.

Down the left hand side are a number of headings.

Look in the heading "Wireless" for a sub heading called "Security"

You should see a scroll box at the top of this new "security" page which will have the name of the security currently in use - mine says 128WEP (which means I'm using 128 bit wep security on my local area network.

What's in yours?

If you see lots of hex digits in lots of boxes (possibly greyed out) below this, you are looking at the actual security code which has been set - if all the little boxes are empty then no code is set.

Let me know & we'll go from there.

Last edited by tedc : 30th November 2007 at 20:05.
Old 30th November 2007, 20:14

My location
You may find that the address of the router is actually http://192.168.0.1 - that is the default "out of the box" setting for many wireless routers. Whatever the address you will probably be challenged for a userid and password - as delivered you can probably log on with userid Admin and password Admin if one is set - try leaving this blank to start with.

To be honest, setting up a wireless router with proper security is not for the faint-hearted. I would advise you to get the company that provided it to set it up for you unless you have a friend who is into this as there are many variations in how you can set this up. Also you will need to set it up properly to connect to your ISP.

Regards,

Brian
Old 30th November 2007, 20:34

My location
Ted, Have found "wireless" & "security", but when I click on its asking for a password. Dont see any scroll box. Ta.........Gra Ted, further to this ,I have managed to get into " security mode" and there is 13 boxes which they are calling a key. It askes me for a" passphrase " which I typed in. When I entered this the 13 boxes were filled with numbers and combinations of letters and numbers. When I applied this the security was enabled ,however, again I was not able to gain entry into the internet. Graham, fortunately I was able to disable it again.

Last edited by Graham McMorine : 30th November 2007 at 21:50.
Old 1st December 2007, 08:17

Hello Graham, I have a note to disable Firewall when using Belkin Router, presumably they have their own built in. Others with more knowledge can confirm this. Hope this helps.
Old 1st December 2007, 11:53

My location
When you apply the security encryption it prevents other people from accessing your wireless network. Without it anybody passing with a laptop or your nextdoor neighbour can use your internet connection.
When you've applied the encryption to your network you have to put the same numbers into your PC/Laptop to enable it to talk to the internet.
It always takes me ages to do this. Althought I started as a computer engineer over 25 years ago networks have always made my brain hurt.

Kris
Old 1st December 2007, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham McMorine View Post
Ted, Have found "wireless" & "security", but when I click on its asking for a password. Dont see any scroll box. Ta.........Gra Ted, further to this ,I have managed to get into " security mode" and there is 13 boxes which they are calling a key. It askes me for a" passphrase " which I typed in. When I entered this the 13 boxes were filled with numbers and combinations of letters and numbers. When I applied this the security was enabled ,however, again I was not able to gain entry into the internet. Graham, fortunately I was able to disable it again.
Graham,
That's good news (setting up a password).
Once the password is set in the router you move on to setting up the adapters up on the 2 pcs (or more) which which are on this router.
If you run your mouse pointer along the icons at the bottom right of your screen you should find an icon for a wireless card or connection.
I have a ralink dongle (adapter) in my big pc (usb2 connector) and a Cable & wireless card in my laptop. The icons are different but they do the same thing.
Firstly, make sure that your wifi is switched on if you have a notebook - many of these have a wifi switch mounted on the side of the case!
Next double click the icon for the adapter which you are trying to fix.
This should lead you to an opportunity to input the security code which you entered into the router.
Note that you'll want to add a "profile" to the adapter driver to make sure you don't have to input the codes every time you attempt to connect to the web.
If you have NO icons for any of your machine you'll need to find the drivers cd for the adapter in question & re-install the driver.
Old 1st December 2007, 12:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binnacle View Post
Hello Graham, I have a note to disable Firewall when using Belkin Router, presumably they have their own built in. Others with more knowledge can confirm this. Hope this helps.
Yes, many Routers have their own firewall and the Belkin bumf suggests that you don't need to run the Windows XP firewall as well as the router firewall - However, I find that running the firewall in NIS (on my main pc) and SystemSuite 8 (on my notebook) works fine and gives extra security.
My XP firewall is OFF.
Old 1st December 2007, 18:29

Ted, I also have a ralink dongle on my big PC, but it's something I don't talk about in polite company.

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce Carson : 1st December 2007 at 18:52.
Old 2nd December 2007, 16:57

My location
Thanks Ted,
Sorry not answerd earlier, been baby sitting all weekend while mum & dad been to wedding in York.
Have tried the mouse pointer on the Icons on the bottom of the screen ( one being a little tv type picture & one being a globe/ earth type picture which turns black when connection is completed. If I just rest the pointer on this it says "Odyssey client" ) , however, when I click on either of these I cannot find an opportunity to enter the security code I entered into the router. Might it be an idea to re run the software disc provided to see if I can get a clue from this or have you any other suggestions.
I really appreciate you trying to assist me with this Ted and thanks for being so patiant
Old 2nd December 2007, 17:09

My location
Go to "My Network Places" on the start menu (assuming Windows XP)
Click on view network connections
Double click on the icon that corresponds to your wireless connection. Bearing in mind that you may be able to see your neighbour's networks.
Click on view wireless networks.
Highlight your network and click on change advanced settings
Click on the wireless networks tab
Highlight your network
Click on properties
This should be the page for entering your encryption information and it must match the settings on your router.

All this is normally done automatically when you install the network and router from the disks.

Kris
Old 7th December 2007, 19:26

My location
Hi Ted & Marconi Sahib, Have found how to get into " wireless network" & have tried to enter keys on both 64bit and 128bit wep. Unfortunatly neither will work as I mistakenly entered the passphrase on my first attempt and I am unable to clear it away from the computer side "wireless network". The router side seems to be o.k. and when I apply the Key the router is secured. fortunatly I can disable it to get back on the internet. Please do you have any suggestions on how to remove the passphrase from the "key boxes". Sorry to be a pest, but I have a feeling someone is trying to get into my computer. Graham. .
P.s. Yes I am on XP
Old 7th December 2007, 22:12

My location
Graham
If you've got your firewall set it would be difficult for someone to get into your PC. They can use your connection to access the internet but unless you have shared files on your PC shouldn't be able to get at your files etc.
The only thing I can think of to get rid of the pass phrase is to highlight it with a double click and type in your new one. Or delete it completely and start again.
Refer to the manual for info on how to start from scratch again.
On the page that shows your network connection you can set up another one called something different.
That's about all I can suggest. I don't have the same gear as you so I can't go through it step-by-step.
Re-installing your netwrok from the supplied disks is usually the best solution if you get totally stuck.
Cheers
Kris
Old 7th December 2007, 22:29

My location
Thanks Kris, Will try this later. Gra.
Old 7th December 2007, 22:32

My location
hi bought the wife a siemens laptop or should i say bought her
self one with a belkin 54 router what a load of trouble
could not sign on at all on the phone of the phone not gointo
it all do not get belkin send it back i did and got a refund
so i went out and got a netgear got on the net right away
thats the good news bad news she does not go on it now
cheers terry music man
Old 7th December 2007, 22:51

My location
Hi Terry, not having a problem getting on the internet mate. Just cannot get the computer to talk to the router, ie cannot secure the wireless network.
Cheers Graham