cat and fiddle - Ships Nostalgia
10:45

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

cat and fiddle

Old 28th December 2007, 23:39

cat and fiddle

After taking a month comming from the gulf to the isle of grain the only place to go was the cat and fiddle and a few cool pints of cool honey ..... lovely.
Old 30th December 2007, 14:35

Stewart,
I think you mean the Cat & Cracker........never got to visit it much as an apprentice - always seemed to be working in Grain & it was a very long walk!
Kind regards,
John.
Old 30th December 2007, 15:51

no John,
the pub Cat and Fiddle is in the Derbyshire peak district area up on the lonely moor road from Buxton towards Manchester ( i think reputed as one of the highest altitude pubs in England and very well reknown- a beautiful drive on a warm summer evening) where the air is rare but the beer is superb!!
Old 30th December 2007, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart4866 View Post
After taking a month comming from the gulf to the isle of grain the only place to go was the cat and fiddle and a few cool pints of cool honey ..... lovely.
Joined the "splendour" at the Isle of grain, got a five pound sub, got a taxi to the "cat and Cracker" had about enough money left for one pint, long long walk back!!
Old 30th December 2007, 20:04

I stand corrected john F another senior moment .....panic
Old 31st December 2007, 09:21
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
There was always the free Seamans Mission bus, phone them up and get collected from the end of the jetty and be taken to the mission outside the dock gates....then on to the "Cats Kn**ker"!!!
Old 31st December 2007, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhore View Post
There was always the free Seamans Mission bus, phone them up and get collected from the end of the jetty and be taken to the mission outside the dock gates....then on to the "Cats Kn**ker"!!!
Must have been one of the Isle of grains best kept secrets
Old 1st January 2008, 12:27
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
The Isle of Grain.....home of the best 'oiled mutton' in the country!
Old 10th January 2008, 14:19

Isle of grain

I can remember watering the Mushrooms outside Ivys
Drynet
Old 15th January 2008, 23:01
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

Cat & Cracker at the village of Grain on the isle of Grain, never went there myself as I was either heading inbound to work or outbound for leave. BP in their wisdom decided to send many 1955 marine engineering apprentices to spend 12 months of hell working at the Isle of Grain refinery in all departments and all on shift work (instead of Ship building yards throughout the country). Best times by far were the 4 weeks on the oil jetties loading the ships, gave us all the chance to see what we were destined to and in some cases the chance to get the hell away from.
I was thinking about the pub sign and as I never frequented the place wondered what it was like? A cat and a cracker could be pretty simple but being at Grain I guess it was a play on words for part of the refinery plant. The 'Catalytic Converter' was a major piece of equipment and the slang for it was 'the cat cracker'.
With the demise of the Refinery and the Gas plant (?) next door did the village survive? Though I believe the area is a large container terminal now.
I was living for a year in digs, first in a pub in Higham (had to give that up) and then moved into Rochester but he trip back and forth by refinery busses was never fun.

Graham
Old 29th January 2008, 19:10

The cat&cracker has been demolished now houses,the refinery is thamesport a container port.The berth is located between jetty 2 and 5,number 6 is used by foster yeoman to disharge stone from scotland,no 1 is still BP for AVGAS and we now have a huge LNG terminal with 3 large tanks next to the existing gas works.Also a new LNG jetty with a second coming,supplied by BP from Algeria.