Captain Alan McIntyre - Ships Nostalgia
07:57

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Captain Alan McIntyre

Old 1st January 2008, 05:36

Captain Alan McIntyre

Hi all,

Does anyone remember Alan McIntyre?

I am currently doing some research on him and his father (who was also USSCo for a time), and would love to hear from anyone with any anecdotes or information on him.

Thanks.

Neen
Old 1st January 2008, 06:22

My location
Smile Alan MacIntyre

I would contact Captain Chris Barradale at the Auckland maritime Collage. Chris spent over 20 years with USS I am sur he will be able to point you in the right direction
Old 2nd January 2008, 22:18

I sailed with Capt. McIntyre on 'MAHENO' 1969-71 and also on 'UNION SYDNEY1.' in 1975-76 . I have several newspaper articles regarding him which I would be happy to copy and forward . His Union Co., personnel file may be available to peruse at the Wellington City Archives .

Butters.
Old 4th January 2008, 01:43

Many thanks

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've had a chat to Wellington archives and it looks like they are going to be a great help with his company record.

Hopefully I'll be able to put some myths to bed on this larger than life character!

Regards
Neen
Old 17th May 2009, 17:16

Neen, Captain Alan McIntyre was my Godfather. Apparently, as the story goes, he ate the log book of the Hauraki when it was captured by the Japanese in 1942. He was consiquently help as a POW in Changi. We are actually heading to 'the 'pore' next weekend where we hope to capture some of his history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neen View Post
Hi all,

Does anyone remember Alan McIntyre?

I am currently doing some research on him and his father (who was also USSCo for a time), and would love to hear from anyone with any anecdotes or information on him.

Thanks.

Neen
Old 18th June 2010, 13:05
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1969 - Present

Re Alan McIntyre,

In the mid to late seventies we had two relieving third mates came to Golden Bay Cement (Wellington, NZ) at the same time - one went to the Ligar Bay, the other to the John Wilson. These two gentlemen almost wore out our radio sets, chatting away to each other almost continuously on the 8-12. These 2 were absolutely loving it, being at sea again with almost no responsibility, and having shed all their stripes upon retirement. I seem to recall one was Alan MacIntyre, the other was Peanuts Russell.
Many years later I bumped into one of these chaps at Acacia Bay boat ramp in Taupo (where he lived), but I can't remember which one it was! Probably about time my memory retired as well.

Cheers
Skilly