Cameronia - Ships Nostalgia
07:49

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Cameronia

Old 27th March 2004, 20:03

Cameronia

Cameronia

Anchor Line's 16,280 grt turbine steamer CAMERONIA was completed by Beardmore, Glasgow in 1921. She spent several periods as a troop transport: 1935-36, 1941-45 and 1947-48, being converted into an infantry landing ship for the 1942 landings at Oran and Algiers. In the summer of 1948 CAMERONIA (II) was converted into an emigrant ship by the British & Australian governments. She was broken up at Newport in 1957.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camsmall.jpg (18.3 KB, 176 views)

Last edited by Steve : 29th March 2004 at 20:34.
Old 19th July 2004, 03:43

I was ship's printer on "Cameronia" after she had been taken over by the ministry of transport and renamed "Empire Clyde", white with a blue band. I did 4 trips to Cyprus and 1 to Christmas Island in the pacific, when she took RAF technologists to participate in the H-bomb trials on the above named atoll in 1957, after which she was scrapped.
Old 19th July 2004, 12:41

Thumbs up

Hi George,
Interesting that you were own the Cameronia. My father was dispenser on the ship when she was on the Australian immigrant run in the early fifties.
My first visit to her was in Southampton around 1950. That visit convinced me that the MN was the life for me. Eventually sailed on her sister company's ship Eucadia.

Glad to have you come by.

Regards from Montreal

Ian
(Admin).
Old 2nd July 2008, 19:07

Hi
I did three trips on the Empire Clyde(the old Cameronia)Ben Gunn was the bosun I was prom deck man on her and painting the gunnall I pealed back some flaking paint ,the bosun saw it and told me he remembered the gray paint that came up ,he had painted it going down the clyde at the start of the war Great old ship.happy days.
Old 25th April 2010, 20:40

I've just created an article on Wikipedia about the ship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMT_Cameronia
Old 25th April 2010, 21:06

RMS Cameronia, Similar design I believe to RMS Brownia and RMS Cleggia?

All of which had nicely painted upperworks but none particularly sound beneath the waterline...

(with apologies to the real vessel)
Old 25th April 2010, 22:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Wallace View Post
Hi
I did three trips on the Empire Clyde(the old Cameronia)Ben Gunn was the bosun I was prom deck man on her and painting the gunnall I pealed back some flaking paint ,the bosun saw it and told me he remembered the gray paint that came up ,he had painted it going down the clyde at the start of the war Great old ship.happy days.
Hi Eddie
I was deck crew and did the usual Cyprus trips and the final Christmas Island trip. Ben Gunn I remember him well an Orcadian and a proper gentleman.
She was a happy ship and a good mix of crew
Old 25th April 2010, 22:28

The Christmas Island stuff is interesting. Has any info been published anywhere that mentions Empire Clyde being involved in the trooping duties? These would have been amongst her last voyages before scrapping.