Arco Arun - Ships Nostalgia
17:08

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Arco Arun

Old 27th April 2005, 11:04

Arco Arun

The modern Arco Arun departing Ipswich 27/04/05
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arco arun 1a.jpg (89.2 KB, 261 views)
Old 27th April 2005, 14:50

Hi David,where did you take this photo from? Is that Harwich in the background?
Cheers K
Old 27th April 2005, 15:00

According to AIS Live she is dredging offshore from Great Yarmouth.
Old 27th April 2005, 15:29

The picture was taken from the viewing point at Languard this morning (27th April) and that is Harwich behind . You are correct, at 1530 she was off Great Yarmouth.
Old 14th June 2005, 22:48

My location
The arco arun,was rebuilt after she struck an underwater object and sank off of greenhithe in 2000,she was salvaged by smit tak.
Old 2nd March 2006, 20:50

ARC Marine

Does anybody else admit to being an old "ARCO" MAN? I served on the Arco Severn in 1975/6 dredging mostly off Great Yarmouth but also up the "River" taking cargoes to mostly France and Belgium. She was a good ship, fairly new and the overtime was enormous, I earned much more in overtime than basic (although don't tell the missus that!) There was also cargo bonuses in those days, for an AB I was quite a rich man. Worked 6 weeks on, 1 week off for a while but then changed to 2 weeks on, 1 week off when back in UK waters. The Company had a quay in Southampton at one stage and we helped bring the aggregate in for what is now the M27 motorway and the new bridge which replaced the old chain ferry.

Served on the Arco Dart for a very short spell, not sorry to leave her very unhappy ship and very old. Dredged mostly in the Solent/Channel off Littlehampton and ran into South Coast ports.
Old 2nd March 2006, 20:57

i was the repair manager of her when she came to our yard after she had been salvaged what a mess she was in hvery thing had to come off and be renewed just every thing them down to the tyne for dry docking for shell repairs {under tow}after that towed back to great yarmouth to be fitted she did more miles under tow up and down the coast dead ship.
Old 3rd March 2006, 15:32

My location
Hi mick I was with arc/hanson from 1990 when they took over my company from bristol,my last ship as bosun was the arco severn,I had to leave the company in 2002 when the wife suddenly passed away.
Old 4th March 2006, 14:39

i was steel foreman on one of the arco boats at wallsend drydocks a few years ago the super i believe was called tom who had been around a bit and he took us to the cleaners what a clever man he was.
cheers tom
Old 4th March 2006, 15:02

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom nicholson
i was steel foreman on one of the arco boats at wallsend drydocks a few years ago the super i believe was called tom who had been around a bit and he took us to the cleaners what a clever man he was.
cheers tom
Tom was the super for the arco severn/tyne/thames,he retired some years ago now,I was in wallsend drydock with the arco severn,we were having our tank tops replaced in the forward pump room and some double bottoms replaced,tom was super then.
Old 26th November 2006, 02:06

Propellor trouble at Aveiro

Ay Sandman ! were you on the ARCO SEVERN while she was out in Portugal ?
She had about 7 weeks laid alongside ...it was terrible never known a trip like it I hear she's dredging down the GULF now .By the way there are some great Merchant Navy Car Stickers on ebay now ....and if you havent worked out who I am check this out ..it should remind you...
Old 14th December 2006, 21:47

Served in Arco Scheldt, and a few others in 76-77, places visited Roscoff,
Shoreham, Silvertown, Marine Parade Southampton, Drydock in Falmouth,
Felixtowe, Vlissingen, and many others, had propeller trouble as well.
Old 30th December 2006, 22:07
Put ashore

portuguese campaign Hanson

I was on the portuguese campaign with the arco severn and arco dart also i remember the proppellor damage on the severn, bye the way tab-nab who are you ?????

peter
porto-pete----
Old 16th February 2007, 14:26

How am I ?

Well Peter..... as they say in the LITTLE BRITAIN series... "I'M A LADY"...
I could have been the 2nd Mate or more likely the cook ...
for sercurity reasons I have to remain enonumouse ...
Old 16th February 2007, 14:53
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1961 - 1982

My location
I sailed with them before they were ARCO in fact before they were AMEY. Originally owned by Paul Penfold from the Barnham area. They were the 'Leryn' & 'Lantyan' ex empire 'Gloucester' Colliers became 'Pen Arun' and 'Pen Adur'. 'Pen Itchen'ex Shell Mex tanker 'Ben Hebden', 'Pen Dart' ex 'Sand Dart' and the 'Pen Avon' built at Appledore
Old 16th February 2007, 21:57
Put ashore

Tabnab.
I hav,nt got a bloody clue, come on who are you ???? man or woman or what

Peter..
Old 9th January 2008, 18:14

I sailed with Arco Marine.On the Scheldt.Thames.Tyne,Severn
Dee.also on the Cambrae.Joined the Dee new in Rotterdam.
A week on the Humber (Laid up) Spent most of my time on
the Dee,was with the company nine years.
Regards Artie
Old 11th January 2008, 15:49

Arco Dart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick quinn View Post
Does anybody else admit to being an old "ARCO" MAN? I served on the Arco Severn in 1975/6 dredging mostly off Great Yarmouth but also up the "River" taking cargoes to mostly France and Belgium. She was a good ship, fairly new and the overtime was enormous, I earned much more in overtime than basic (although don't tell the missus that!) There was also cargo bonuses in those days, for an AB I was quite a rich man. Worked 6 weeks on, 1 week off for a while but then changed to 2 weeks on, 1 week off when back in UK waters. The Company had a quay in Southampton at one stage and we helped bring the aggregate in for what is now the M27 motorway and the new bridge which replaced the old chain ferry.

Served on the Arco Dart for a very short spell, not sorry to leave her very unhappy ship and very old. Dredged mostly in the Solent/Channel off Littlehampton and ran into South Coast ports.
Is this the Arco Dart built in 1990 you are talking about-Not as old as the Arco Severn surely?/
Old 21st March 2008, 14:11

Arco

Hi i done short time in arco severn about 1977 skipper came from padstow i think, then from january 1978 till november 1980 was in arco test visiting such hot spots!!!!! as cowes,portsmouth,bedhampton,littlehampton,portslad e,newhaven,dover,whitstable,river stour . Then january1981 joined arco thames left september1981

Last edited by hobgoblin : 21st March 2008 at 14:31.
Old 21st March 2008, 15:10

Smile

Hi rock dodger..............I was relief master on the Amey 1 in 1973 dredging mainly in the Solent and discharging in Dover, Newhaven, Southampton and Shoreham. I believe that she was later renamed Arco Thames, Cheers Glan
Old 21st March 2008, 15:44
Department: Deck
Active: 1961 - 1982

My location
Was Bob Lake the regular Master that time ? and is he still with us ? Regards
Old 22nd March 2008, 16:18

Hello awateah2.....yes, Bob Lake was the regular Master at that time, I left and went to another company, J.J.Riley and served aboard the "Stone Marshall", lost contact with Bob Lake....Cheers.....Glan
Old 3rd September 2009, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabnab44 View Post
Ay Sandman ! were you on the ARCO SEVERN while she was out in Portugal ?
She had about 7 weeks laid alongside ...it was terrible never known a trip like it I hear she's dredging down the GULF now .By the way there are some great Merchant Navy Car Stickers on ebay now ....and if you havent worked out who I am check this out ..it should remind you...
Dont what was so bad about the Aviero patrol.? The 'Severn' managed to get in about six weeks work before pulling up that old 36mm wire round her prop'
spent the next seven weeks either in drydock or afloat, minus a prop'
New blades fitted by shore labour, assisted by the CE Robbie Kerrison and the the super'
Sailed , loaded, and took the load to Vianna de Castello, and then came back to the UK. Not a very nice passage across the Bay as the ship was restricted to less than 60 miles from the coast.

Last edited by Abbeywood. : 4th September 2009 at 05:42. Reason: Demoted the C.Eng, apologies
Old 3rd September 2009, 23:05
Bilge Rat
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by awateah2 View Post
I sailed with them before they were ARCO in fact before they were AMEY. Originally owned by Paul Penfold from the Barnham area. They were the 'Leryn' & 'Lantyan' ex empire 'Gloucester' Colliers became 'Pen Arun' and 'Pen Adur'. 'Pen Itchen'ex Shell Mex tanker 'Ben Hebden', 'Pen Dart' ex 'Sand Dart' and the 'Pen Avon' built at Appledore
I had about three weeks on the Pen Adur in 1965. My father was mate at that time Ian
Old 4th September 2009, 05:32

Arco Severn

The 'Arco Severn' was laying alongside the US Army base pontoon at Hythe,
on Southampton Water earlier this year. Can't remember the date but she was apparently in working order, (well the lights were on), she stayed there for about a week, before she disappeared, horizontally.
All the dredging gear seemed to be in place.
Sailing under a short name beginning with 'A', about five letters, which escapes me at the moment, will try harder. !
Best wishes to the 'Sandman' and 'tabnab44'. I know who you are.