Ikeja Palm - Ships Nostalgia
04:59

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ikeja Palm

Old 6th April 2004, 11:17

Ikeja Palm

Palm Line's IKEJA PALM (1961/5,700 grt) sailing from Liverpool in August of 1981.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IKEJA PALM.JPG (28.9 KB, 305 views)
Old 4th July 2004, 18:05

My location
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Palm Line's IKEJA PALM (1961/5,700 grt) sailing from Liverpool in August of 1981.
these series of sisters were IBADAN -ILESHA -ILORIN and IKEJA PALM with
little difference LAGOS and LOBITO PALM.
EURICO R. ex LOBITO PALM and DAPHNEMAR ex ILESHA PALM were broken
up in 1984 .The series terminated their life, the other were formerly broken up.
Old 29th October 2006, 13:13

Hi All, just reading through and found this thread. The Ibadan and Ilorin were exact sisters, as were Ikeja and Ilesha. The L class being slightly larger engined and tonnage
Old 29th October 2006, 14:58
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
sailed on MV IKEJA PALM 29/6/73 to 9/9/73 EDH. Took Captains kids swimming off some beach,,he wasn't too pleased with me for that and said so very politely?
Old 1st November 2006, 08:55

Guess you sailed with Capt. Holeyman then and my Dad, Adrian Hobbins, I did the voyage commencing in October 1973
Old 1st November 2006, 18:47

My location
Sailed on Ilorin June 79 - Aug 79 with what was multinational crew - nearly all from Liverpool!! Swiss mate, Ghanese,Somali,Egyptian,British ABs.Nigerian catering and Arab black gang. Quite an experience even before the coast.
Old 9th July 2007, 17:45

I think my dad sailed on the Ilorin, certainly Ilesha. C/Eng Tom Brace
Old 9th July 2007, 22:39

Nearly joined this in Middle Dock, South Shields 1979, for a bit of a challenge. I'm sure the jumbo had 'Condemned' stencilled on it & all Her gear was in a right old mess, talk about birds nests on the winches.
Old 9th July 2007, 23:21
Active: 1936 - 1986

Pat,that is unfair criticism of ILORIN PALM and any other Palm ship..
If you nearly joined,how did you see the so called condition of her jumbo etc?
As a rigger in Tilbury Docks for 30 years I worked all Palm ships and there was always one of them in the dock..
One of jobs was to replace all running gear on the derricks,sometimes before it was necessary ...It was always in safe and perfect condition..
The crews were loyal to Palm and made many voyages.They also took pride in keeping their ships in pristine condition..
Do not condemn a ship until you have sailed it !!
You missed out in not joining a very good company - If you had,I am sure you would have been with them until their sad demise..
Palm People were special...
Old 9th July 2007, 23:44

Stan.

It was the Ikeja Palm I was talking about & I was on Her for a look round as I knew there were jobs coming about for Her, easy to get aboard ship's if you showed your discharge book or ID card back then too. Her jumbo, along with all the forr'd end, was visible to anyone who looked down Mill Dam. I was with 2 other AB's, Previous Palm lads, & they were disgusted at the state of Her gear. I can condemn a ship if I see fit, like I did that day I stood on Ikejal Palm's deck. It is no personal criticism to anyone, especially ex Palm Liners. I think the jumbo had 'Ran Free' & was damaged in the process, making it being marked condemned. I only commented on what I saw & I was qualified then, as I am now, to make criticism.
Old 10th July 2007, 00:46

Pat,
Point taken but to read your observatios was a mild shock to me in having known the ships for many years..
It seems the lads you were with were also disgusted so they knew it wasnt a normal sight seen on a Palm ship..Your explanation of the jumbo also makes it clear for the reason of the shambles...
You still missed out on sailing with a good company...I hope you did sail in nice ships..
Old 10th July 2007, 08:17

Stan.
I was lucky to sail on good ship's, obviously had a couple that were, to me at the time & my age, that were dead-end jobs & got off after a few weeks, but I have had a good 30years at sea now & been lucky to get decent ship's although nothing compares to when we had 50+ crew on board

ATB. Pat
Old 10th July 2007, 12:54

Son of Tom Brace
I sailed on the Ilorin Palm for two voyages in 1965 and one voyage aboard the Kano Palm in 1966 I'm sure that I sailed with Tom Brace do you have his Seamans Discharge Record Book to check out some of the dates
Old 10th July 2007, 17:19

just got down from the loft and i've found 3 seaman's record books of discharge.You will have to bear with me as the language and terms are alien to me. The first 1 starts in 1954 up to 1973.Thanks for the tip it's opened up all sorts of memories. He was my dad so when he was home it was "take me to the football" or trips out. I never appreciated or understood his life at sea apart from being proud of the fact he in was in the finest merchant navy in the world.
Old 10th July 2007, 18:00

Son of Tom,
You are obviosly proud of your Dad and in the last few words of your posting you are stating the feelings and thoughts of us all.
We served in the worlds finest Merchant Navy !!!!
Do not return your Dad's Discharge Book to the loft...It is a treasure and should be preserved....
Old 11th July 2007, 12:55

Son of Tom Brace - that is fantastic that you have found your Dad's record of discharge books - now we will be able to compare notes - I started with Palm Line Feb 1963 and finished with them July 1967 - could you please list the ships and dates between those dates
Old 11th July 2007, 14:57

I'll put the lot in as somebody else might recognise my old man...
Jul 54 2ndEng on Gambia Palm. Promoted Chief Eng in 55.
Discharged Rotterdam Jan 1st 58.
Oct 61 Ilesha Palm
Discharged Oct 63.
I don't know what happens here- Ilorin (Hull 10 days later then Tilbury)
18- 29/11/63
Akassa L'Pool 27/1/64 to Glasgow 8/2/64.
Then in 64 the whole engagemnet- discharge is all abroad- Ilesha Badagry Lobito Lagos 26/2/64 to 26/7/65.
Back to normal Kano 27/9/65- 15/3/67
Ikeja 6/5/68- 10/3/73
Lagos 1/8/73- 27/9/74
Africa 27/2/75-29/3/75
After that he became a shore superintendent.(correct term?)
Sorry to go on but this is all bringing back so many memories. In the description of voyage section what does H/T mean? Most are foreign but there's 12 HT runs. I've dug out some old photos as well but need advice if it's worth scanning them. I'll stop now but want to talk about round tins of players or Senior Service, parrots, drums and weird cargo
Old 11th July 2007, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCardle View Post
Stan.

It was the Ikeja Palm I was talking about & I was on Her for a look round as I knew there were jobs coming about for Her, easy to get aboard ship's if you showed your discharge book or ID card back then too. Her jumbo, along with all the forr'd end, was visible to anyone who looked down Mill Dam. I was with 2 other AB's, Previous Palm lads, & they were disgusted at the state of Her gear. I can condemn a ship if I see fit, like I did that day I stood on Ikejal Palm's deck. It is no personal criticism to anyone, especially ex Palm Liners. I think the jumbo had 'Ran Free' & was damaged in the process, making it being marked condemned. I only commented on what I saw & I was qualified then, as I am now, to make criticism.
I joined Ibadan Palm as AB IN 66. Gunboat Smith was master . Still have nightmares about that voyage. You did right to give it a wide berth Pat.
Old 11th July 2007, 15:46

My location
H/T is probably Home Trade, Son of Tom.
UK Coast and certain ports in Europe.
Refers to the type of articles signed.

Kris
Old 11th July 2007, 19:17

My location
Only the one voyage with Palm Line,having seen the West African coast with Fyffe's that was enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-Scanned-17.jpg (34.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 12th July 2007, 10:45

H/T means Home Trade - which means coasting the vessel rather than sailing foreign. I sailed aboard the Kano Palm as 3rd eng - 17 jan 1966 and discharged 10 march 1966 - so I did sail with your dad. Did your dad live local to the Wirral ?
Old 12th July 2007, 11:15
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan mayes View Post
Pat,that is unfair criticism of ILORIN PALM and any other Palm ship..
If you nearly joined,how did you see the so called condition of her jumbo etc?
As a rigger in Tilbury Docks for 30 years I worked all Palm ships and there was always one of them in the dock..
One of jobs was to replace all running gear on the derricks,sometimes before it was necessary ...It was always in safe and perfect condition..
The crews were loyal to Palm and made many voyages.They also took pride in keeping their ships in pristine condition..
Do not condemn a ship until you have sailed it !!
You missed out in not joining a very good company - If you had,I am sure you would have been with them until their sad demise..
Palm People were special...
Stan
I agree with what you say about the Palm Line but Pats comments are correct. I was working for Harry Blower(Rigging) at the time and I had a nasty suprise when I saw the condition of this vessel. I had to look twice as could not believe it was a Palm boat. We also used to run these vessels down the Coast.
Old 12th July 2007, 12:36
Department: Purser
Active: 1955 - 1966

Son of Tom.

Hello there. Isailed in the Gambia Palm from Sept. 1955 to Feb.1956 (2 trips).

It would appear that this coincides with your Tom Brace's time as Chief Engineer in that ship.

It is 51 years ago now and names begin to fade, but not other memories.

Was your Father a softly spoken Scot who always smoked a pipe?.

If so he and I were quite good pals who used to have a drink or two together every night. At that time I was Assistant Purser and the Capain was Francisco de Imaz (Frankie Imaz).

If I have described your Father correctly I would love to hear from you.

Cheers,
Peter (Pat) Baker.
Old 16th July 2007, 15:20

Yes thats my dad.Blimey this is amazing.You ,or anybody else might be able to answer a long kept impression.I insist to this day that either the 'Gambia 'or the 'Kano' had a ruddy great steam locomotive on the deck.I remember seeing Dad off from Liverpool docks and I swear that train was strapped to the deck.This was more than 40 years ago and the more I think about it the more it must be some sort of dream I mean the logistics of it don't add up. I have photos but as I'm new to computers I don't know if I can scan them and put them on this site
Old 16th July 2007, 15:21

Brilliant thats my Dad alright