Offshore Marine, 70"s & 80"s - Ships Nostalgia
01:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Offshore Marine, 70"s & 80"s

Old 2nd February 2008, 03:06

Offshore Marine, 70"s & 80"s

Hi,

My name's Geoff Chowles, back in the 70's & 80's i was an engineer with Offshore Marine. Then known as Kiwi even though I was born in the UK, I grew up in NZ.
I would like to here from some of my old ship mates both pre and after we were Zapped by Zappta! I was with the company for 11years.

Cheers,
NZ jollyJack
AKA Geoff Chowles

Old 28th February 2008, 21:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ JollyJack View Post
Hi,

My name's Geoff Chowles, back in the 70's & 80's i was an engineer with Offshore Marine. Then known as Kiwi even though I was born in the UK, I grew up in NZ.
I would like to here from some of my old ship mates both pre and after we were Zapped by Zappta! I was with the company for 11years.

Cheers,
NZ jollyJack
AKA Geoff Chowles

Hi Geoff,
Welcome to SN, I also just joined a few days ago.
I was in OM / Zaps from 1975 to 86. Spent most time abroad, including Canada (Mulgrave )
Weren't you 3/E in the Scotian or the Breton Shore or one of the other tall weather class ones ?
I was in the Nova Shore over there at the time ( '76 )
Rgds
Rob Bradbury
Old 3rd August 2008, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnrob View Post
Hi Geoff,
I was in OM / Zaps from 1975 to 86. Spent most time abroad, including Canada (Mulgrave )
Weren't you 3/E in the Scotian or the Breton Shore or one of the other tall weather class ones ?
Rgds
Rob Bradbury
Hello, may I join in - I have just joined today and noticed the OM thread. I was in Cunard and transferred to OM in 72 - South Shore as mate with Arthur Kenesett then many of the ships as master; Atlantic, Ocean, Straight, Tropic, Kent and lastly Fastnet. Never worked from Mulgrave although i was based at St Johns and Argentia for a while. North Sea, Japan, Borneo, Sumatra and then Bisacy before coming ashore into the chartering & marketing ofice in London with Mike Hogan & Arthur Kensett.

Left when Zapata appeared on the scene to be Ops Manager for United Towing Ocean Tugs.

Cheers

Howard Anguish
Old 3rd August 2008, 15:24
OilyRag

South Shore

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardang View Post
Hello, may I join in - I have just joined today and noticed the OM thread. I was in Cunard and transferred to OM in 72 - South Shore as mate with Arthur Kenesett then many of the ships as master; Atlantic, Ocean, Straight, Tropic, Kent and lastly Fastnet. Never worked from Mulgrave although i was based at St Johns and Argentia for a while. North Sea, Japan, Borneo, Sumatra and then Bisacy before coming ashore into the chartering & marketing ofice in London with Mike Hogan & Arthur Kensett.

Left when Zapata appeared on the scene to be Ops Manager for United Towing Ocean Tugs.

Cheers

Howard Anguish
Howard
Thought you might like this photo in the thumbnail.
I took this from the quayside at Bassens on the Gironde.
We were working the rig Neptune 7 in the bay of Biscay near Arcachon in 1967/8.
The master was Ron Stanley,mate was Bert Hodgson and I was relief Chief Eng for "One Eyed Jack"
Also on board was Peter Korving who was from Amsterdam and acted as second mate but his chief role was that of French/English/French interpreter.
Best Regards
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg South Shore 1968.jpg (142.4 KB, 144 views)
Old 3rd August 2008, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetodd View Post
Howard
Thought you might like this photo in the thumbnail.
I took this from the quayside at Bassens on the Gironde.
We were working the rig Neptune 7 in the bay of Biscay near Arcachon in 1967/8.
The master was Ron Stanley,mate was Bert Hodgson and I was relief Chief Eng for "One Eyed Jack"
Also on board was Peter Korving who was from Amsterdam and acted as second mate but his chief role was that of French/English/French interpreter.
Best Regards
Dave
Thanks for that, Dave. I see she still has the London & Rochester colours. One eyed Jacko was also the Ch/eng when I sailed on her in 72, and spent most of his time fishing when along side a rig!.

Co-incidentally, I spent a year based on the Gironde with Fastnet Shore (along with the Cromarty Shore) when we had a contract with Shell France with the Medusa off Arcachon in 75.

Here is a picture of her in later life.

Cheers

Howard

Last edited by howardang : 4th August 2008 at 00:33.
Old 3rd August 2008, 16:57

This is a blast from the past.
Davie Todd I was your 2nd. on the Atlantic Shore when we were based in Singapore with Ron Turner (Topsy) as Skipper. Thought the name was familiar so looked up your profile. How are you and what are you doing now?
Howard don't think I ever sailed with you but have met you as we have been on the same boats. Perhaps in the Dolphin.
One Eyed Jack, what a man. Joined the South at Gt. Yarmouth but never met the chief till sailing time. Skipper told me to start up so goes down to tell this guy fishing he should pull his line in as we were sailing. "Wont go without me" he says "I'm the Chief". Never changed much did he.
See Rob Bradburys name there as well, he was skipper on the Kent for a while, I was on her for a few years based in Holland.
Don
Old 3rd August 2008, 23:03
OilyRag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Matheson View Post
Davie Todd I was your 2nd. on the Atlantic Shore when we were based in Singapore with Ron Turner (Topsy) as Skipper. Thought the name was familiar so looked up your profile. How are you and what are you doing now?
Howard don't think I ever sailed with you but have met you as we have been on the same boats. Perhaps in the Dolphin.
One Eyed Jack, what a man. Joined the South at Gt. Yarmouth but never met the chief till sailing time. Skipper told me to start up so goes down to tell this guy fishing he should pull his line in as we were sailing. "Wont go without me" he says "I'm the Chief". Never changed much did he.
See Rob Bradburys name there as well, he was skipper on the Kent for a while, I was on her for a few years based in Holland.
Don
Hello Don,
Nice to hear from you.
Took me a while to put a face to the name, then I got it.
Black beard and a pipe with a smile behind both.
Went out to join Atlantic Shore in January 1971 as relief for Bill Morgan for four weeks.
Found her in Balikpapan and left her in Singapore at the end of April same year.
Remember R.D.Turner, the man who had a crew change to take the Chinese off and replace them with "Christians"
As it turned out the local agent supplied him with a "Christian" crew who were all named Joseph! A few days later his insect eating pet lizard died so he was relegated to a chit-chat like the rest of us.
My last ship with OM was East Shore then joined RV Cirolana finally working ashore in 1975.
Retired about six years ago and have never been busier!
Hope you and yours are keeping well.
Best Wishes
Dave
Old 4th August 2008, 11:14

Hello Dave
Afraid the black beard is having a colour change to gray but its the right guy. Hard to think it was such a long time ago.
IIRC you were the guy with the best ever put down for anyone. Topsy had canceled your docking repair list whereupon you tore it up saying "I am employed as Chief and to look after this ship and you sir are thwarting my endeavours". Brilliant.
Good to hear you made it to retirement and I hope all is well with you. Me, still running my small company but with luck the tugs will be coming this month to tow me into retirement. Will still be working on an ad hoc basis but have to much to do to work full time anymore.
Yes I do remember Ron and his "Christians" and his gheko in the hoover thanks to you.
All the best
Don
Old 28th October 2008, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Matheson View Post
Don
Hello Don, not sure if I ever sailed with you in O/M but your description sure rings a bell. I sailed on the Kent as cook once or twice while working out of Ijmuiden. Had to relieve Harry Marshal who had gone down with Melangitis or some form or another. Bob Bradbury was skipper then and I remember going ashore to a birthday party for him kindly organised by the ships agent and his wife. The whole crew was invited I believe. A great ship and even better crews. Loved every minute. Was with O/M until the were taken over by Zaps. Was on the Bass Shore for a long time and plenty others after. The Cromarty was home for a good while for me with JR. another goodun. Never had many bad skippers ,I sort of got on with all of them. Was Gordon R the other skipper or am I getting mixed up with another ship. I seem to remember the Argentine crew, was this the Kent shore . It was definately out of Ijmuiden .
I ended up going with Osa after Zaps went down the pan. Then OIL for awhile until they wanted double the time at sea (2 for 1) and no increase in wages. Went to BOA then and was on the Boa Pride a couple of trips before going to the Eskil. All Norski's except me but got on great with everyone.Finished with a trip on one of Klines out of Lowestoft.Said they needed a cook urgently. got all the way down to Kent before they said it was an AB they wanted. The ABs always did the cooking apparently . I dare'nt go on the deck for fear of killing me or worse, somebody else. German skipper asked me to stay on for 3-4 days until they could get someone else, but after a couple days of fresh bread and tabnabs He would'nt let me go.Everyone was happy for me to finish the trip.
I seem to remember Kiwi also but cant recall the ship.
Anyway, best regards Don.
Gino.
ps. Hello
Old 29th October 2008, 21:48

Gino Hello, yes I was chief on the Kent Shore for quite a while working out of Ijmuiden in Holland. Mostly serving on a Pennzoil charter to the K13Alpha and her satellite platforms.
Don,t know if I can place you but if you relieved Harry Marshall and were there when Ray Bradbury was there then I am sure I have met you. Were you there when Ray brought his wife and wee boy over for a while?
Yes Gordon Rafferty was the regular skipper there, he was married to a rather lovely Dutch girl and lived in Den Helder with her and the kids. The Kent suited him as he could always get home now and again and the family could always come down to the ship. The Argentinian crew were there and were a super bunch of guys, great shipmates once they got used to our way of working.
It was a good boat, had a good place to work and some excellent hands on board, had a good time on her.
We have quite a lot on supply boats in the Mess Deck forum, sure you would recognise some of the incidents described or add some of your own.
Don
Old 31st October 2008, 20:51

Hi Don,thank's for getting back back to me. You mention Ray Bradbury but I always knew him as Bob. This guy lives in York and has gingery hair. I never met his wife or kiddy. I can only remember one of the Argentine sailors, George Jopp. Last time I sailed with him he was living in Caister near Gt Yarmouth. I remember an old car they used to drive about in. I always called it the ships taxi. Think it was an old Opal, brownish in colour.
Did one of them fall over the side ?
Best regards . Gino
Old 5th November 2008, 20:22

Gino Sorry about delay in reply, can I claim a senior moment as an excuse. I did mention Ray Bradbury but by mistake, his name is Rob. Yes he was gingery haired or I am sure he was a while ago.
George was the Argentinian who could not speak English when he arrived and got the job by answering Yes Captain No Captain when the other argentinian Louis tapped his foot under the table. Gordon was delighted with his manners and he got the job. Found out the truth when he was watchman when we were at sea. They had an old Opel I think, it belonged to Louis as he lived ashore in Ijmuiden with a local lass. It was him that did the paintings of ships in the alleyways.
We did have a very tragic death of one of the boys at K13Alpha, when Carlos went over the side. Bert the cook saw what had happened and went in after him. He got a Lloyds Medal but unfortunately we last Carlos. I think he went into shock when he went into the water as he never recovered. Very sad day indeed as he was a great shipmate.
What are you dong now?
Don
Old 6th November 2008, 19:15

Well, thank's for that Don. Funny how names come back to you. I do remember Louis but I got to know George quite well having sailed with him again in other ships after the Kent. His English was very good by then and he was having no trouble at all being understood. We both have a Polish background so I guess that helped. I've not been to sea since 93 and also suffered a heart attack in 96. By then I was on the wrong side of 47 and nobody wanted me.It was very quiet in the north sea at that time and nothing doing. I decided to go to college and did a 2 year course in elecronics servicing. This was mainly to help me better understand my hobby of amateur radio. I managed to pass my City & Guilds 1 & 2. but employers wanted younger people with previous experience. It did'nt bother me to much. Ill be 60 next year and i'm happy to be at home caring for my wife who has Crohn's disease. Almost lost her 5 years ago but she's still here keeping me in check.
Bye for now Don.
Best regards. Gino
Old 23rd December 2008, 23:45

Yes, I too remember most of the names mentioned, particularly Geof Chowles.who was master of the built up kiwi burger and french toast on return from a run ashore.All good fun before the rules changed and auditing/ excessive regulations arrived ...For a proper mate, the name that comes to mind is Mr Catchpole....and his bete noir Carl Kay..All of us overseen by Capt Walkers(the Bishop) benevolent eye.
Old 10th January 2009, 03:06

Hi Phil,
Boy do I remember you joning us on the "ORkNEY SHORE" in Peterhead in'77
Dave Whale was the Skipper I think! We were just about out of food on board as it was the end of the month. Whale was about to sail for a rig shift untill you put your foot down and said no. It still took a call to the office in Aberdeen before he would restock!! Almost a mutiny I think!

Cheers,
Kiwi,
AKA Geoff Chowles
PS> we'll go over the cost of keeping a wife And sex next time!
Old 10th January 2009, 03:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnrob View Post
Hi Geoff,
Rgds
Rob Bradbury
Hi Rob,
Just had the Discharge book out. Yes I was 3rd on the "Scotian:- Gt. Yarmouth to Mulgrave in '76 Then took the Island back to the UK for it's comversion to a Dive support Vesel. Roger was the skipper I think. Hit some very bad weather on the way over Skipper had put out a destes wornning But could not resind it as our airials were caried away.

Not as bad as the storm in '77 off the coast of Labrador while on the Orkney.

Cheers Geoff Chowles AKA Kiwi
Old 13th January 2009, 22:36

Geoff, was that when we went to the Sandokan stand by job with Freddie Sampson? We all used to play cards with Fred, Sinclir Anderson etc.to pass the time at anchor. Fred used to cheat..the losers had to put up the beers.. for each hand. Fred was chuckling as he kept winning, and free drinking. He didnt realise every time he went to pump his bilges we topped up our cases from his fridge! We all wore silly caps made by one of the hands.Fred made a sort of mess kit jacket out of a red boilersuit. I still smile about it all..Rgds Phil
Old 14th January 2009, 02:21

Hi Phil,

Yes, this has rekindled old memories.
I remember us all in your cabin having a few beers, sitting and sewwing caps from the rag bag.I still have the OM badge I made for mine.
Then also the time we sat around and worked out how much it cost to keep a wife at home divided by the number of times we had sex while home on leve. It was a lot cheeper to rent than buy.(Or should that be lease as the costs are on going).

You can contact me direct if you wish at jollyjack@ihug.co.nz or through one of my web sites. www.modeldockyard.co.nz or www.locksmiths.co.nz

Cheers mate,
Kiwi
Aka Geoff
Old 14th February 2009, 23:59

My location
Wink

Great to hear from some of the old OM. crew!
I was C/engr. on, to begin with, Essex Shore out of G.Yarmouth. Then a lot of trips on Atlantic Shore in 1972/73 with Topsy Turner, followed by Bay, Forties, Polar,Cook and Pacific - finishing in 1977.
Anybody remember a skipper called Paul Ellis, from Guernsey, and know what happened to him?
Balikpapan was quite a base in those days, we pinched a puppy from the girlie bars at Benteng up the road, and he lived aboard for a long time until the ship had to return to the UK. I could fill a book with stories about Balikpapan!

Kevin Routledge

PS. -- attached a couple of pics. of my model of Anglia Shore - 1:100 scale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anglia Shore 001.jpg (25.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Anglia Shore.jpg (36.4 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by KevinR : 15th February 2009 at 15:49.
Old 15th February 2009, 04:00
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Did a bit with OSM and Zappata !
Tern Shore 3/4/70.....Norfolk Shore 10/4/70 to 5/5/70 (north Sea)
Pacific Shore (Mulgrave) 7/5/70 to 29/8/70
Petrel Shore (West Africa/Gt Yarmouth) 25/12/71 to 7/4/71
Trojan Service (North Sea ) no discharge dates Monrovian flag
Then a few of the Lady Boats (Foreign flags afain)
Sailed as EDH and as EDH/reliefe cook on the Trojan...LOL
Great times then?
Old 15th February 2009, 20:36

My location
Wink Atlantic Shore

I was C/Eng. on the Atlantic Shore back in '72/73 with Topsy Turner and Chris Upjohn as Captains. Anybody know where Chris is now (think he's in Oz).? I'd also like to contact John Fox and John Harvey, both engineers from Hull, with whom I had some weird runs ashore.
I attach a model I made, and still have, of the old Atlantic Shore, also a pic. of myself and Ben, the ship's dog (see posting above!) with Chris; also a pic. of the motley Indonesian crew (myself holding "Ben") and Chris in the white shirt.
PS - To Rob Bradbury - we were on the Pacific Shore in Punta del Este when she was alongside for over a month having a stern gantry fitted - quite an experience!!!!!

PS - To Don Mathieson - We sailed together sometime, your name rings a bell - remember me at all?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Offshore Marine 006.jpg (21.9 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Offshore Marine 007.jpg (23.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Offshore Marine 005.jpg (28.9 KB, 75 views)
Old 15th February 2009, 21:23

Kevin Yes I am pretty sure I sailed with you on Atlantic Shore around the time I left to come back to the North Sea again.
Have lost my old discharge book so cant find dates for first time with OM but sailed on Atlantic Kent Viking Suffolk Norfolk Arctic South North and even on one Jim Barnes mentioned, the Tern Shore. So if it was not the Atlantic I am sure I have sailed with you somewhere. I served with Offshore Marine twice coming back for a second go in 76 and finishing in79.
Jim I thought I was the only one who even served on the Tern Shore.
Don
Old 15th February 2009, 21:34

Kevin Just read your posts again and had to edit my first post.
I see you mentioned John "Anchors" Harvey, and weird runs ashore with him. Trust me everyone who went up the road with John had a weird experience. Remember one night drying his "Clean" shirt in the galley oven so he could hit the town. I am sure it was Anchors who borrowed the shell from the British frigate in the West Indies and it was also him who was arrested on the plane going to Mulgrave in Canada when he grabbed the pilot round the neck, by mistake I may add in his defence.
I think a weird night would have been a quiet night. Think Dave Todd may have some idea about him and Foxy as I think he comes from near them.
Don
Old 16th February 2009, 00:18

I remember a run ashore in Yarmouth with"anchors"..to the old quayside pub with the woodburner stove..he told the landlady she must have had a hard life to end up with a face like hers.....and to the working girls on the stools at the bar, that he XXXXXX for yorkshire and wanted "it" for nowt, all at the top of his voice.. What a revelation, what a great character!
Old 16th February 2009, 12:26

My favorite story about Anchors was the one about him going to Mulgrave in Canada. On the plane Anchors decides to take a look at the cockpit but doesnt ask, just goes charging up there. Throws open the door, trips on the small step and goes flying into the cockpit. In an attempt to save himself he grabs the pilot round the neck and holds on to stop him falling.
Pilot is suddenly being pulled backwards from his seat and must be thinking its a high jacking. Co pilot is trying to knock lumps out of Anchors to prevent the highjacking and Anchors is screaming that he just wants to visit the cockpit. They get it all sorted out in the end, fortunately there were no sky marshal's then or Anchors was a goner. The crew later visited the supply boat and a few beers smoothed it all out.
A typical day in the life of Anchors.
Don