Lynton Grange 1912-1933 - Ships Nostalgia
15:02

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Lynton Grange 1912-1933

Old 4th November 2007, 11:02

Lynton Grange 1912-1933

Hi
I'm doing my family history and am seeking a photo of the first LYNTON GRANGE built in 1912 as a family member was a crew member on the ship in 1913.
This ship was scrapped in 1933.
Have seen photos of the second Lynton Grange torpedoed in 1942 - not the one I want. Cannot find anything on numerous nautical websites.
ANY HELP would be appreciated.

Thanks
Agatha
Old 4th November 2007, 20:07

My location
Agatha, a warm welcome aboard to you; enjoy the site and all it has to offer. It is good to see that you already have a picture, thanks to Hugh. We look forward to more of your postings. Bon Voyage

You may already have all the information at your finger tips, but in case not - Lynton Grange (I) was built by Northumberland Shipbuilding Co., of Newcastle and delivered to Houlders in 1912. She remained in the company until the disastrous freight market of 1932 when she was laid-up and then sold for scrap in late 1932, and broken up in 1933
Old 5th November 2007, 02:14

Agatha, the photo is of the later ship.
The vessel you are looking for, being built in 1912, would almost certainly have a vertical bow and a counter stern.

Bruce
Old 5th November 2007, 12:31

There was an identical ship, built in the same year by the same builders and measuring the same in tonnage, the 'Denby Grange'.
4,252GT, 380' x 49', 3exp, single screw
Sunk by collision on October 24, 1918 on a voyage from Newport to Spezia with a cargo of coal.
Perhaps someone may have or find a picture of the above, which would at least show the Lynton Grange's general likeness.
Agatha, I was remiss in my first posting as I didn't welcome you to Ships Nostalgia.
I do that now and hope you enjoy our site and all its many features.

Welcome onboard,
Bruce
Old 5th November 2007, 16:55
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1976 - 1988

Sorry for putting you on the wrong road, Agatha, the two ships are, I think ,one and the same, although the one I mentioned looks slightly different but this is probably because it is a night time shot. The second photo on that site is without doubt the 1937 built ship.

Thanks, Bruce for pointing that out.

If nobody can come up with the goods - and I wouldnt bet against anyone on this site - there is one for sale at the National Maritime Museum at this link here: http://www.nmm.ac.uk/cgi-bin/empower...PlansAndPhotos just put LYNTON GRANGE into the search box, the downside is this museum is quite expensive and a photo will cost you around about £20 UK.
Paid it in full”
Old 5th November 2007, 22:14

My location
Natal Transport

That looks very promising Hugh; in the meantime the best I can come up with is an image if the sister ship - Natal Transport.

Good luck with the National Maritime Museum

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Natal Transport.jpg (76.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 5th November 2007, 23:34

Lynton Grange

Thanks once again to all you helpful people! I'll check out the links from gdynia.
I contacted the NMM at Greenwich about 10 days and Photo Sales Administrator couldn't confirm their Lynton Grange photo is the 1912 vessel although the reference number ending in 1912 sounds promising. Waiting for Plans and Photos dept at NMM to respond to me.
Hugh, as you say 20 pounds for a photo is expensive - especially when converted to Oz dollars!

Regards
Agatha
Old 8th November 2007, 12:00

Cool Lynton Grange

Hi
Does anyone have access to the book "One Hundred Years of Houlders 1849-1950"?
Author Edward F Stevens
It apparently has illustrations and photos - hopefully it contains photo of Lynton Grange 1912 vessel.

Thanks & regards
Agatha
Old 8th November 2007, 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
Hi
Does anyone have access to the book "One Hundred Years of Houlders 1849-1950"?
Author Edward F Stevens
It apparently has illustrations and photos - hopefully it contains photo of Lynton Grange 1912 vessel.

Thanks & regards
Agatha
Good Morning Agatha.
I have a copy of the aforementioned book but I am afraid it has no picture of the ship your are seeking. I have also checked other books I have regarding the ships of Houlder Bros. but alas to no avail.
Keep searching.
Regards
Old 9th November 2007, 07:03

Cool Lynton Grange

Hi Marinero
Thanks for looking in your Houlders books. I have surfed (or sailed?) the net for the past several weeks looking for a photo but as I am also of the tenacious Bulldog Breed I'm not giving up!

Cheers
Agatha
Old 9th November 2007, 20:48

My location
Agatha,
Just found this in an old book. Not very clear I'm afraid. It's a poorly printed pre war book.

The caption reads -

"One of many vessels stopped by the German cruiser Dresden and later released was the Lynton Grange. On August 6, 1914, she met the German raider off the Brazilian coast. A vessel of 4,252 tons gross, the Lynton Grange was built in 1912 at Newcastle-on-Tyne. She had a length of 380 feet, a beam of 49ft. 1in. and a depth of 26ft. 5in."
From Shipping Wonders of the World, Volume IV, published in the late 1930s

Hope this is the right one.
Cheers
Kris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lynton Grange - 001s.jpg (156.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 9th November 2007, 20:59

That's a winner, Kris.
I was beginning to think we were looking for a phantom ship.

Bruce
Old 9th November 2007, 23:46

Cool Lynton Grange

Thank you Kris! At last the elusive Lynton Grange. Old books are such a treasure trove.
Bruce, I have my ancestor's Certificate of Discharge for this ship so at least I knew it's not a phantom ship, although I was beginning to wonder..........

Cheers
Agatha
Old 4th January 2008, 22:45

My location
Thank to The National Maritime Museum we are finally there with an image, which is reproduced with kind permission of the Museum
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lynton grange - a (2).jpg (64.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 28th January 2008, 11:50

Smile Lynton Grange

Special thanks to Tonga and all involved in obtaining a photo of the first Lynton Grange for me. My grandfather worked on the ship so it's a great record to add to the family history.

Regards
Agatha
Old 4th November 2011, 18:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by K urgess View Post
The caption reads -

"One of many vessels stopped by the German cruiser Dresden and later released was the Lynton Grange. On August 6, 1914, she met the German raider off the Brazilian coast. A vessel of 4,252 tons gross, the Lynton Grange was built in 1912 at Newcastle-on-Tyne. She had a length of 380 feet, a beam of 49ft. 1in. and a depth of 26ft. 5in."
From Shipping Wonders of the World, Volume IV, published in the late 1930s
Hello,

I'm French and my English not very good, sorry for faults.

I have found this topic by the help of a member on Great War forum (here: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/fo...owtopic=171168 ), I make a research about this ship, I think (If no mistake), because I have found a vapour ship called "Lynton" in a French military paper. I know by French archives of aviation that the ship "Lynton" was at Marseille (France) the 05/01/1916 (if no mistake) and going the same day in May (morning) to normally Salonica (Greece) with in his board some French aircrafts (Caudron, Farman and Nieuport), were sent for the French aviation of the "Armée d'Orient (A.O.)" (in French), surely to the French aviation park.

Thank you for your message and photographs in this topic, surely well this ship at Marseille for Salonica.

Could you, please, confirm this or that Salonica or the Mediterranean sea were the transportation area of the "Lynton Grange" 1912 in 1916? If well the good ship, I will be happy.
Thank you.
Regards.