Edmund and Mary Robinson Watson Class Lifeboat - Ships Nostalgia
14:24

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Edmund and Mary Robinson Watson Class Lifeboat

Old 13th February 2008, 20:00

Edmund and Mary Robinson Watson Class Lifeboat

Please does anyone know if the Ex RNLI Watson Class Lifeboat Edmund and Mary Robinson is still afloat and if so where and who owns her.

She is an ex New Brighton Lifeboat and is also the Reserve Fleet Lifeboat that Dick Evans was Coxswain of when he won his Gold Medal for the HINDLEA rescue in 1959.

I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this. Many thanks.

Chris.
Old 13th February 2008, 20:25
samuel j

pm lifeboat1721 as he just got a copy of the LBES book and she might be in there
Old 13th February 2008, 20:41

Hi Santos, according to the 2008 yearbook, ON 812 Edmund and Mary Robinson was as of 03/2004 called "Yoko; Maid of Troy" and was moored in Diglis Basin, Worcester and had had a cabin fitted,so there is every possibility that she still is afloat.neil.
Old 13th February 2008, 20:49

Many thanks Neil, thats great news, We are doing the Station history here at New Brighton and are trying to trace the whereabout or what happened to some of our old boats.

Many thanks for your help

Chris.
Old 13th February 2008, 21:13

no problems, chris. if you want my old 2007 yearbook which has the whereabouts of all the old lifeboats, just pm me with your address and I'll send it off for you.neil.
Old 13th February 2008, 21:15

Thats very kind Neil thank you, but we should be OK now.

Many thanks again.

Chris
Old 13th February 2008, 21:48

no probs, chris.
made a model of her years ago. she looked lovely.
served at Fleetwood as a relief on a number of times.
Old 15th November 2008, 17:26

Maid of Troy Diglis Basin Worcester

Hello - I have joined the forums today just to be able to post this message!

I am the British Waterways Marinas Limited Marina Supervisor at Diglis Basin in Worcester. The converted lifeboat which I know as Maid of Troy is indeed here. I am in contact with the owner who is one of my moorers.

If anyone would like to contact me I can be found via the BWML website under Diglis Basin.

Regards
Old 15th November 2008, 22:25

hi, Capehorner. Welcome to the site, and thanks for the info. If you have any photos of her, I'm sure us lifeboat enthusiasts would love to see them. cheers,neil.
Old 16th November 2008, 01:15

Capehorner,

Thank you for your information re the Edmond and Mary Robinson, I have passed it onto our Chairman who is bringing our archives up to date. Its nice to know she is still afloat.

Chris.
Old 16th November 2008, 11:51

Maid of Troy

Hi Neil, Hi Chris,
Thanks for noticing my post. I'll contact the owner to ask if I can send you some photographs, then will. Not today though; Diglis is swathed in thick 'mizzle' and terrible light. I'll be off for a few days from this evening but back on Thursday. I'll see what I can do then.
Best,
Adrian (capehorner)
Old 16th November 2008, 13:29
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings Adrian and a warm welcome to SN. Thank you for your input and bon voyage.
Old 16th November 2008, 15:29

Adrian,

Many thanks for your interest and kindness, I look forward to seeing the pics.

My very kind regards

Chris.
Old 29th November 2008, 13:24

Pictures of Maid of Troy at Diglis

Gentlemen,
I have a few pictures of Maid of Troy at Diglis Basin. Do I post them on here, and if so how, or do you have an address I can send them?
Adrian
Old 29th November 2008, 19:56

Hi Adrian,

Thats great, I would love to see the pics as would many of the members I am sure.

Go to the gallery and in the centre of the screen you will see ' upload photo ', click on this and when the new page opens just follow the instructions ( you will need to select the Lifeboats category for the photo to be posted in ) and the photo you have selected will be posted in the gallery. There is a space for info on the photo so everyone knows the name of the boat and any info you care to post about it.

Many thanks for your trouble it is much appreciated.

Chris.
Old 30th November 2008, 15:39

Maid of Troy

Hi Chris,

I have posted three photographs in the gallery which I hope you enjoy. I don't know about Forums - is one allowed to make contact in the 'real' world? Following a conversation with the owner I'd like to speak to an enthusiast about Maid of Troy. She needs a new home with a new skipper, and I'd like to find her one.

Perhaps you can let me know.

Best wishes,
Adrian
Old 30th November 2008, 17:42

how much is the owner asking, Adrian.
The best person to find her a new home would be a member called Quinton Nelson.
He has a boat and classic lifeboat brokerage on the www called Nelsons boats.
If you look on www.nelsonsboats.co.uk you'll see what I mean.
and a gentleman as well.
neil.
Old 30th November 2008, 20:32

Adrian,

Many thanks for those they are great - our station was very proud of her when she was with us. I concur with Neil re Quinton Nelson, if anyone can find her a new owner I am sure Quinton can.

My very kind regards

Chris.
Old 30th November 2008, 20:56

Maid of Troy

Neil, Chris...
Thanks for your kind comments. The owner of MoT is 84 years old, a lovely gentleman and an enthusiast for old boats, of which he has had many. He came into my office the other day, sighed and declared that he'd have to acccept that his boating days are over.
He is asking 'best offers'. What he wants is for the MoT to be taken on by someone who can work on her, take her forward and enjoy her anew. The value to him of that happening is more than a price that might be put on the vessel.
I'll get in touch with Quinton Nelson, and thank you for that contact.
Best wishes to both,
Adrian
Old 19th December 2008, 13:37

Maid of Troy

Chris, Neil

A line to say that I have been in touch with Quinton Nelson re the ex Edmund and Mary Robinson and enjoyed a good dialogue with him. He has some good ideas for the vessel and does, indeed, have a person interested in her.

I don't think much will happen now until the New Year but I want to thank you both for suggesting Quinton's name. I am sure he is the right person to be talking to.

Incidentally the owner has lent me the book Liveboat VC by Ian Skidmore. I have just started reading it. The description of the Hindlea rescure in the first few pages is very moving. A remarkable rescue.

Seasons Greetings to you Gentlemen!

Adrian
Old 19th December 2008, 20:11

Adrian,

Thank you, the news is great, she will hopefully live on. Thank you very much for your interest and help in saving her, she deserves a longer life and I am sure Quinton will find a worthy new owner for her.

Lifeboat VC is a great book and features some fantastic rescues by some very brave men.

May I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year.

Chris.
Old 20th December 2008, 20:26

No problems Adrian, only glad we were able to help.
I just hope he gets a ood price for her and she is sympathetically resored.
neil
Old 16th March 2009, 13:04

Dear Chris and Neil

I want to be in touch to tell you about the lifeboat ex Edmund & Mary Robinson.

After some interest from Quinton Nelson which unfortunately did not come to anything I was put in touch with Phil Trotter at RW Davis at Saul Junction on the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal (www.rwdavis.co.uk).

Phil Trotter has now taken over ex Edmund & Mary Robinson and on Saturday last (14th March '09) moved her down the River Severn to his yard. He is absolutely the right person to have the boat and will be restoring her to something like her former glory. Not, sadly, as she was originally because she has had too much work done to her in the meantime. However he has already discovered that what apears to be her original conversion from a lifeboat was done in the 1970s in teak, and a lot of that is still pretty good.

A chap at his yard, Craig, has spent the last several years doing a complete restoration on the Runswick, Yorkshire, lifeboat "The Always Ready". She is beautifully done; Craig, whom I have now met, is a remarkable man. He and Phil brought "The Always Ready," to the Severn to Worcester, breasted up to ex Edmund & Mary Robinson and sailed the two of them back down the river to Gloucester. I have some pictures of them leaving Worcester. It was quite a sight.

So that's where the boat now is. In safe hands and to be restored to a working vessel in the next couple of years or so. The ex owner is pleased that she'll have another life and Phil and Craig are pleased to have that opportunity.

I'll see if I can post a number of the pictures I took of them leaving Worcester.

This comes with best wishes to both.

Adrian
(capehorner)
Old 16th March 2009, 14:27

thanks adrian for keeping me in touch and it's wonderfull to hear that another venerable old boat is to be restored.
i'm just titivating up a model of a sisterboat of the E and M R, the ROSA WOODD and PHYLISS LUNN.
Just don't have the skill or money to atempt a full size one.
i'd love to see pictures of the ol' gals together.
neil.
Old 16th March 2009, 18:10

Hello Neil,
I put a few pictures into the Gallery this morning...
I agree with you - it is marvellous that the E & MR is to have a new life. The previous owner was saddened by the fact that she needed more work and attention than he could give her. He's just turned 86 and as recently as a couple of weeks ago was in my office wondering what he should do with the vessel. I have not spoken to him since she left for Gloucester but I know he will be pleased.
Good for you for making models of a couple of the sisters. I'm sure that's a better idea than making a full-sized one!
Adrian