THV Mermaid - Ships Nostalgia
15:23

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

THV Mermaid

Old 15th February 2008, 20:51
Janet Foulger

My location
Smile THV Mermaid

Hi were any of the SN members on the crew of the Mermaid in the early 1970's, my brother Ivan Lewis was a steward and his friend Graham Durrant was a deckhand I believe during the period 1971-1974. It would be nice to see if there was anyone who knew them. He has some good memories of the Mermaid and has a framed photo on his mantlepiece at home

Cheers

Fay
Old 17th December 2008, 20:33

Now owned by Gardline off Great Yarmouth, renamed Ocean Observer and working as a survey vessel.
Old 17th December 2008, 22:59
Janet Foulger

My location
Thanks Smoggie I will tell my brother he will be very interested to know she is still going strong.
Old 18th December 2008, 19:05

Wrong Mermaid, Smoggie. Ocean Observer was not built until 1987. You want the THV Mermaid that was the lead ship in 1960 of four sisters built by JS White at Cowes, Isle of Wight.
Old 3rd January 2009, 20:36
Janet Foulger

My location
Thanks Vectiscol, I was also told recently by one of our marine engineers at work that it was the wrong Mermaid I think the one Smoggie is thinking of is the sister ship to Patricia built in 1982. The Mermaid my brother was on was built in 1959.
Old 3rd January 2009, 22:43

If you look in the Gallery under Special Purpose Ships, you can find photographs of the 1959 THV Mermaid and the later 1982 Mermaid, in Trinity House guise and in Gardline livery as Ocean Observer.
Old 7th January 2009, 01:00
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
sailed on her for a short period while living in Gorlston, Gt Yarmouth till i was old enough to work on supply boats to the rigs (18 yr old)
I was on deck remember a bloke called WINGS looked a bit alike we did but he was older and of course uglier...?
Good job usually sailed monday to Friday weekend off
Old 9th January 2009, 19:45
Janet Foulger

My location
I will have to ask my brother if he knew of Wings when he was sailing on her, mind you he was a steward so his friend would probably be the best one to ask seeing as he was a deckie. My brother had the nickname of Mast but that harks back to a bet he had with his friend 'who could climb the mast of a fishing boat the quickest' needless to say he won and the nickname has stuck all these years.
Old 10th January 2009, 15:11
Janet Foulger

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim barnes View Post
sailed on her for a short period while living in Gorlston, Gt Yarmouth till i was old enough to work on supply boats to the rigs (18 yr old)
I was on deck remember a bloke called WINGS looked a bit alike we did but he was older and of course uglier...?
Good job usually sailed monday to Friday weekend off
I asked about wings, my brother knew him quite well it seems, name of Trevor Cashman he had tattoos of hinges on the inside of his elbows and a tattoo around his belly button that read "Naval Patrol".

He also remembered the Master as being Peter Charles Vere Ingham, the First Officer he thinks was Barry? Collingwood, Bosun Arthur Slater, Chief Steward Lesley "Magoo" Masquery (not sure if I have spelled that correctly), Cook Henry Eke, 2nd Cook Eddie Pleban, Chippy Ted Hawkes, Winchman Sammy Dybal, Greaser Bertie Austin (he used to smoke roll-ups out of Blackboy Pipe Tobacco), Peggy was called Paddy. Norman Nuttall used to be on deck but then changed jobs and became a steward, Ivan shared a cabin with him. Then there was Arthur Hobbs who used to make ships in bottles.

Because Ivan had tight curly dark hair he was called Yvonne by a few of the crew hehe it was to do with Yvonne Goolagong having dark curly hair too. He was 17 when he joined the Mermaid so it would make it 1971 and 1974 when he left.
Old 10th January 2009, 16:58

My location
great amount of info there and i am sure its all corect, i only spent a short period of time on her. just passing through as you might say? Wings is a spot on description so it is definatly the right bloke, dont know if any one remembers me, Jim from Sheffield (yorky) only event out of the norm was we went op o Midlesborough for some reason, a proper voyage. LOL
Old 10th January 2009, 18:46
Janet Foulger

My location
hehe well i am sure it was quite a voyage too, I will certainly ask about you and see if he remembers you.

It was quite strange really asking him about Wings because he was only thinking about him yesterday and wondering what happened to him since they crewed together. I think asking him to remember back 30 odd years is going to shake loose a few more names so i will have to make sure I have a pen and paper handy at all times lol.

Even though Ivan only went to sea on the Mermaid for a short while he has never lost the love of the sea, and he still hankers after the life onboard.
Old 10th January 2009, 20:20

My location
Smile

30 odd years? well thanks for reminding me, lol
just another thing your comments brought back a memory of, one day i called into a pub in Gt Yarmouth on the quey called the STAR i think, well there was a realy old timer in there who had had a few as good sailors did, he was ashore of one of the light ships. I always remember him saying to me and any one else willing to listen how he had sailed the world and Gt Yarmouth. well those words stayed with me. i am proud to say the same now! people think i am daft but like the old timer before me ITS TRUE
Old 4th March 2009, 20:18
Janet Foulger

My location
I had a word with my brother's friend (Graham Durrant) who was on the Mermaid at the same time as Ivan, he said he remembered Wings quite well and as far as he recalled Wings crossed the bar several years ago after taking a swim up the river and drowning.
Old 4th March 2009, 23:45

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesty Fay View Post
I had a word with my brother's friend (Graham Durrant) who was on the Mermaid at the same time as Ivan, he said he remembered Wings quite well and as far as he recalled Wings crossed the bar several years ago after taking a swim up the river and drowning.
Sorry to hear of his demise but all in all sounds quite possible. many have died trying to swim across the River Eyre, very strong current usually attempted by having a bet while mostly under the influence.
God bless and rest in peace Trevor.
old ship mate!
Jim
Old 22nd April 2009, 16:25

Trevor Cashman

I think this chappie was my father. He didn't drown swimming across the river, but his friend did. I used to be named Trevor Cashman also, but when my mother and father divorced I was made to change my name! If anyone could put me in contact with anyone who knows about my fater I would be most pleased.

Last edited by Donuttah : 22nd April 2009 at 16:28. Reason: added 'I think' to start
Old 22nd April 2009, 22:24
stores stores is offline   SN Supporter
STORES

Thv Mermaid1 And Thv Mermaid 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesty Fay View Post
Thanks Vectiscol, I was also told recently by one of our marine engineers at work that it was the wrong Mermaid I think the one Smoggie is thinking of is the sister ship to Patricia built in 1982. The Mermaid my brother was on was built in 1959.
HI JUST TO CLARIFY , first mermaid built by samuel whites isle of wight, sister to siren, stella, and winston churchill, churchill differed only in bridge which was fully enclosed for working irish sea, 2nd mermaid was built in south korea by hyundai, patricia 11 was built in uk somewhere in devon i believe, and a totally different design to mermaid, the two profiles are completely different , uk built ship more shipshape and bristol fashion, i worked on patricia and we often referred to mermaid as the ugly duckling, was also on siren, stella ,winston churchill, ready, and the odd day on first mermaid and first patricia, hope this helps, STORES.
Old 11th November 2011, 23:09

Hi there.
My name is john. I was interested to find this thread regarding THV Mermaid. My grandfather served on the first Mermaid and previous to that, THV Warden.
He was a Quatermaster by the name of Jacob "Bro" Canham.
I wonder if anyone here remembers him.
Thanks,

John