Engineers Who Sailed On The SS Matra - Ships Nostalgia
03:22

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Engineers Who Sailed On The SS Matra

Old 12th May 2005, 10:31
Vince Donegan

Smile Engineers Who Sailed On The SS Matra

Dear All,

I am trying to contact any engineers who sailed on the SS Matra at the same time as myself (between 11/8/69 & 16/3/71), or failing that, at some time during the period that this vessel (registered in 1948) was in service with Cunard Brocklebank.

I have developed an asbestos related disease, and I am currently in the process of suing both the company that I served my time with ashore, and Cunard Brocklebank, where I believe I came into contact with asbestos in the engine room of the SS Matra.

I am of the opinion (but need corroboration), that both the insulation on the turbine covers, and on the associated steam and condensate pipework installations, contained asbestos.

The only names that I can remember (with any clarity), from my three consecutive deep sea voyages, inclusive of coasting on the SS Matra are as follows;

Peter Joyce? Senior 3rd Engineer (from Trimden Village in the North East)
Delwyn Jones Junior 3rd Eng. (Known as "Del" and Welsh obviously)
Alistair Macaulay? Chief Electrician (Glaswegian)
Brian Williamson 4th Engineer (Bebbington on the Wirral)
Reginald Crowe Eng Cadet ("Reg" from N.Ireland)

I served in the MN from 1969 to 1980 inclusive.

Can anyone please help with any information, however small.

Many thanks in anticipation!

Vincent Donegan
Old 12th May 2005, 10:35
Vince Donegan

Engineers Who Sailed On The SS Matra

Dear All,

Have edited and corrected my errors on the original message!

I am trying to contact any engineers who sailed on the SS Matra at the same time as myself (between 11/8/69 & 16/3/71), or failing that, at some time during the period that this vessel (registered in 1948) was in service with Cunard Brocklebank.

I have developed an asbestos related disease, and I am currently in the process of suing both the company that I served my time with ashore, and Cunard Brocklebank, where I believe I came into contact with asbestos in the engine room of the SS Matra.

I am of the opinion (but need corroboration), that both the insulation on the turbine covers, and on the associated steam and condensate pipework installations, contained asbestos.

The only names that I can remember (with any clarity), from my three consecutive deep sea voyages, inclusive of coasting on the SS Matra are as follows;

Peter Joyce? Senior 3rd Engineer (from Trimden Village in the North East)
Delwyn Jones Junior 3rd Eng. (Known as "Del" and Welsh obviously)
Alistair Macaulay? Chief Electrician (Glaswegian)
Brian Williamson 4th Engineer (Bebbington on the Wirral)
Reginald Crowe Eng Cadet ("Reg" from N.Ireland)

I served in the MN from 1969 to 1980 inclusive.

Can anyone please help with any information, however small.

Many thanks in anticipation!

Vincent Donegan[/quote]
Old 12th May 2005, 10:52

My location
Vince
This is a subject that I have given much thought to over the years since "asbestos" became a dirty word. I wasn't on Matra but one time on Maidan we had to do some work on a steam valve which required us to strip back some of the lagging that abutted up to the valve flange. I remember it being white in colour, probably whitewash, and very dry and brittle and came away in chunks. I was of the opinion at the time that it was an asbestos based material but of course nobody even gave a thought that it could be a hazard.
Some years later while working in Vauxhall Motors Engineering block in Luton some blue asbestos (Crocilidite) was discovered coating the structural girders of the building. This would have been around 1977. We had to vacate the building for a year while the offending material was removed. The contractors had to have air lock doors and intermediate showers when exiting the building. It was at this time that I became aware of the dangers of the stuff and wondered about my own health from my Brocklebank days. I'm afraid it became a matter of "If it aint broke, don't fix it" and the longer I'm around without any effects is a bonus.
This of course does not help your condition and feelings, and I can only add my wishes for your recovery and well being and success in any information you are seeking.
Stuart
Old 12th May 2005, 11:02

Welcome aboard there Vince,

We hope you enjoy our site and what it has to offer and wish you well in your quest to obtain the information you require.

Regards Julian
Old 12th May 2005, 11:14

Vince,
I wish you well in trying to make contact with your fellow engineers whom you sailed with on the SS Matra.
I have a friend who is in similar plight and like you he is currently taking legal action against the shipyard that he was appreticed to and the company that he sailed with for some 8 years.
It is a worrying situation because if you stood by a vessel during dry dock, refit etc as was so common in those times, no matter what department you were in, it is very possible that you could have come into contact with asbestos based products. They were just so common in earlier times.
Likewise I can only wish you well for the future and success with the information you are seeking and with the legal endeavours that you are now engaged in.
Doug

Last edited by Doug Rogers : 7th June 2005 at 11:39.
Old 12th May 2005, 12:34
Vince Donegan

Smile Engineers Who Sailed On The SS Matra

Gentlemen All,

Sorry about the "triping" errors in the original version!!

Thank you for having taken the time and trouble to assist me in my quest for information re my forthcoming legal action.

I will of course be replying to you all individually, and any others who may offer any additional information, however small.

Please forgive me for not replying to each of you immediately, as I have some commitments today, that have to be met. But rest assured I am most grateful for all the comments posted so far this morning, and I will come back to each of you, by tomorrow.

Many thanks once again!

Best wishes to all.

Vince Donegan

Last edited by vincedonegan : 12th May 2005 at 12:36.
Old 13th May 2005, 02:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTinOZ
Vince, I see from your message that the ship was built in 1948, it would definitely have used asbestos not only for heat insulation, many ships built before the 70's also had asbestos used as sound insulation in and around the accomodation. I also regret to add that asbestosis is not confined to enginroom people, asbestos was used to lag deck steam pipes and accomodation water pipes. Most of the asbestos used was white asbestos fibre mixed with water then covered with a woven white asbestos bandage. I earnestly urge everyone to get lung xrays and if neccessary cat scans. My doctor informed me that 95% of people exposed to asbestos will have traces of fibres in their lungs, I have asbestos in my lungs but it is not malignant, the doctor also told me that less than one per cent of those with asbestos in their lungs will ever suffer from asbestosis or mesothalmia(?). I have xrays every year and cat scans every two years. I urge everybody to do the same and if any trouble shows then sue the bastards, the dangers of asbestos were known but covered up. Best of luck. George Taylor
I think its mesophilioma that the asbestosis develops into and thats the killer once it has developed.
Doug
Old 13th May 2005, 02:39
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1953 - 1958

With all our friendliness and help to eachother on this site, it seems to me that Vincent's request is one that we should really try to assist. Do any of you ex-Brocklebank regulars know how he may contact any of the people he has named?
Give it a real go! - Doug H
Old 13th May 2005, 09:26

Running some names for Vincent through my programes.....will P/M him with any results Doug....bear with me for a while.
Old 13th May 2005, 10:29
Vince Donegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian anstis
Welcome aboard there Vince,

We hope you enjoy our site and what it has to offer and wish you well in your quest to obtain the information you require.

Regards Julian
Julian,

Belated thanks for your welcome on board.

Kind Regards,

Vince
Old 13th May 2005, 11:02
Vince Donegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian anstis
Running some names for Vincent through my programes.....will P/M him with any results Doug....bear with me for a while.
Thanks again Julian!

Kind Regards,

Vince

PS Dear All,

I have started to work my way thro' replies to the individual guys who kindly responded to my "MAIDEN SPEECH in the House yesterday!!

Vince
Old 13th May 2005, 11:05
Vince Donegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug H
With all our friendliness and help to eachother on this site, it seems to me that Vincent's request is one that we should really try to assist. Do any of you ex-Brocklebank regulars know how he may contact any of the people he has named?
Give it a real go! - Doug H
Doug,

Thanks for this!

Regards,

Vince Donegan ( same as 'Lonnie' but without the money!)
Old 13th May 2005, 11:17
Vince Donegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B Manderson
As I said all my stuff can be sent to you via post . on headed paper and signed if you require .
I have taken hard copy of all the postings on this s so just shout
Ron
Ron,

That would be great , but only if you let me reimburse you for the cost of the postage!

Agreed!

Many thanks again!

Vince
Old 13th May 2005, 13:57
Vince Donegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B Manderson
Vince Thanks for the offer But that would not be necessary .
Only to glad to help .
Ron
Ps If you send me your address I will write this ASAP.
Ron,

Address sent to you by P/M.

Thanks again,

Vince
Old 13th May 2005, 14:49
Vince Donegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Smith
Vince
This is a subject that I have given much thought to over the years since "asbestos" became a dirty word. I wasn't on Matra but one time on Maidan we had to do some work on a steam valve which required us to strip back some of the lagging that abutted up to the valve flange. I remember it being white in colour, probably whitewash, and very dry and brittle and came away in chunks. I was of the opinion at the time that it was an asbestos based material but of course nobody even gave a thought that it could be a hazard.
Some years later while working in Vauxhall Motors Engineering block in Luton some blue asbestos (Crocilidite) was discovered coating the structural girders of the building. This would have been around 1977. We had to vacate the building for a year while the offending material was removed. The contractors had to have air lock doors and intermediate showers when exiting the building. It was at this time that I became aware of the dangers of the stuff and wondered about my own health from my Brocklebank days. I'm afraid it became a matter of "If it aint broke, don't fix it" and the longer I'm around without any effects is a bonus.
This of course does not help your condition and feelings, and I can only add my wishes for your recovery and well being and success in any information you are seeking.
Stuart
Stuart,

Sorry, about the delay in replying to you, and many thanks for the info'

I will having run out of time now, (still working to pay the bills), come back to you again, on the content.

Best wishes,

Vince