Glorius Food! - Ships Nostalgia
07:00

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Glorius Food!

Old 6th March 2008, 08:28

Glorius Food!

Egusi stew with yam flour foofoo, jollof rice, palm oil chop..Does anybody have memories of other delicacies we enjoyed years ago?
Old 6th March 2008, 10:03
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1980

My location
Cat sick sandwiches in the Bridge supper box
Old 6th March 2008, 16:15

My location
They were "dog spew" in Hungry Hogarth's.
Every night for the whole trip.
Wrapped in greaseproof paper.
Still can't abide the stuff.
Old 10th March 2008, 22:54

Glorious Food

Actually, Elders and Paddy Hendersons were my only companies, so I cannot compare with what others provided, although I did have one meal in Birkenhead on the Clan McTaggart in my training days. that and it wasn`t long after the war, was fairly sumptuous, also my lifelong introduction to and loving of curry.
Paddy`s wasn`t too bad if you liked curry (3 times a day, if you included Kegeree for breakfast)
Elders Palm Oil Chop and Groundnut Stew I loved, but it was probably the booze which preceded it, oiled the works (The African crowd got pepper soup, if they were unlucky trhe only part of the chicken it contained was the legs,claw end) I remember particular delicacies like "Kromeskie a la Russe" and it was always "Bury" Black pudding - don`t know why, when I subsequently found out the best black pudding in the world came from the butcher in Aviemore, Bologna Sausage "sarnies" were awful, but sometimes the Chief Steward got hold of Crayfish or Red Snapper.
Used to like the side dishes that went with curry and palm oil chop etc, especially the little tomato things - I think they called them red chilli peppers!
Feeding generally depended on what was available and the Chief Steward and most were reasonable feeders - the rum ration did help everything down though!
Main benefit after leaving Elders was never had tummy trouble, used to reckon the African Cooks had poisoned us enough to give us future immunity.
Old 11th March 2008, 00:12

The claw in the soup was probably strong ju-ju! This interesting topic is also covered extensively in "Merchant Navy Fare" and "BP Culinary Delights". Kromeski a la Russe seems to feature in all our memories although I don't recall seeing one in Murmansk!

John T.
Old 17th March 2008, 09:02

I was on the Patani (2 trips) in the mid 60's. The officers used to chip in £1 each and the Chief Steward, I think his name was Jack Holland, used to buy fresh dover sole in Las Palmas, these fish simply grilled on the bone were out of this world, they hung over both ends of a dinner plate. I think the C.S must have had a contact in the wholsale fish business because he could also get large fresh prawns while in Las Palmas which no other C.S in E.D's seemed able to do.
Old 17th March 2008, 11:32
Catering 1958 - 2007
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

Talking

Sandwitch Spead Sarni and pilchards in Tomato were great wrapped in greasproof paper, bread rock hard after a couple of hours. You lads were spoiled!!!
Old 17th March 2008, 21:34

Talking of Prawns
Can`t remember which ship,may have been the "Oti" but called at Fernando Po, tied up alongside a trawler and the Chief Steward (think he was Stan Fowler) bought a bucket of prawns, had the cook cook them and organised a party in the Chief Engineers accommodation at midnight, sat round in a circle, bucket of prawns, waste paper basket, case of Worthington - brilliant party,C/E had put us all on a shake, one lad had the most amazing stutter and said to the Chief "It`s not your birthday chief it`s a f f fffffff............ing piss up chief" - funny how his stutter disappeared as the evening wore on.
Old 27th April 2008, 22:03

It was traditional for EDs to have Roast Norfolk Turkey and chipolatas for Sunday lunch. A J/E, time served in a Lancashire mill town and used to sandwiches for his lunch, is reputed to have observed of ED chop, and in broad Lancastrian, 'Eh! Christmas Dinner on a Sunday; Sunday dinners every day!'

On another tack, there was a Chief Steward known as 'Bring 'em Back Alive' Kelly. This apparently a result of complaints about his feeding and his response to enquiries at the end of voyage interview - 'Well. I brought 'em back alive, didn't I?'. From experience, when coasting the Kabala, he spent the allotted 10/- per man per day, but there was nothing special in the fare or its presentation.

I've forgotten what comprised Kromeski a la Russe, but it did spawn a universal description for any of the more unusual details of maritime life as being 'very kromesk'.
Old 28th April 2008, 08:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornishman View Post
It was traditional for EDs to have Roast Norfolk Turkey and chipolatas for Sunday lunch. A J/E, time served in a Lancashire mill town and used to sandwiches for his lunch, is reputed to have observed of ED chop, and in broad Lancastrian, 'Eh! Christmas Dinner on a Sunday; Sunday dinners every day!'

On another tack, there was a Chief Steward known as 'Bring 'em Back Alive' Kelly. This apparently a result of complaints about his feeding and his response to enquiries at the end of voyage interview - 'Well. I brought 'em back alive, didn't I?'. From experience, when coasting the Kabala, he spent the allotted 10/- per man per day, but there was nothing special in the fare or its presentation.

I've forgotten what comprised Kromeski a la Russe, but it did spawn a universal description for any of the more unusual details of maritime life as being 'very kromesk'.
Kromeski a la Russe - Something about sausages wrapped in bacon and roasted - or were they 'battered' and deep fried? The mists of time.....
Old 28th April 2008, 08:57
Spongebob
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1961

We had a cook that was only fair to middling most of the time and very below par when in our home port.
He was , however very good at a chicken chow mien and used to serve this for dinner the first night back at sea.
It was very popular and many asked for seconds with the result being that the second mate and I would come into the saloon late after doing our meal reliefs for the mate and second engineer to find barely a single serve left for us.

The next trip the second mate rang me from the bridge to say
"Bob there will be plenty of chow mien left over tonight, I have just put my head in the saloon door and told them the one about"--(A rather crude joke that was sure to put those with a delicate stomachs, especially during those first few hours at sea, right off their tucker)

Yes it worked and we enjoyed our double helpings
Old 22nd June 2008, 19:43

I remeber on the Onitsha a Chief Steward called John Martin, We reckoned he had 5 Hatch filled with potato salad . Ther all ways seemed to be tons of it . They would throw walnuts in it for Waldorf Salad pineapple for Hawaian and red and green peppers for Mexicaine. Another speciality was Salad Bretonne (BAKED BEANS !) . Mind you I was an egg & chip Junior Engineer so I never complained , me face was always to close to the plate. Soup, entree , main course , cold meat an salad and then a pudding. I have yet to meet a women who could feed me like that , God bless a good Chief Steward say I.
Degsy
Old 23rd June 2008, 21:38

My location
What about Scouse stew!
Old 23rd August 2008, 15:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamH View Post
I was on the Patani (2 trips) in the mid 60's. The officers used to chip in £1 each and the Chief Steward, I think his name was Jack Holland, used to buy fresh dover sole in Las Palmas, these fish simply grilled on the bone were out of this world, they hung over both ends of a dinner plate. I think the C.S must have had a contact in the wholsale fish business because he could also get large fresh prawns while in Las Palmas which no other C.S in E.D's seemed able to do.
Could the Chief Stewards name have been Jack Mulholland , he was a Scouser, and one of the best grocers I ever sailed with.
Old 24th August 2008, 07:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by degsy View Post
Could the Chief Stewards name have been Jack Mulholland , he was a Scouser, and one of the best grocers I ever sailed with.
Thats right degsy, we used to call him "grocer jack", there was a song very popular at the time with the line "grocer jack get off your back, go into town, don't let them down". I think the song was called " from a tean age opera"
Like you I would say he was probably one of the best feeder I ever sailed with.
Old 1st September 2008, 13:39

recipe for today FOFAR BRIDIES rough mince beef/onions/carrot /plenty pepper/wrapped in short pastry folded flat, baked in oven ,served with mash /peas and onion gravey/ yum lick your lips.
Old 6th September 2008, 19:51

recipe for the weekend- Corned beef stovies-sliced onions sweated down/large dice tatties gentley simmered/loads of pepper/dice corned beef added in last 10-15 minutes, yum-yum lick your lips
Old 7th September 2008, 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Martin View Post
Kromeski a la Russe - Something about sausages wrapped in bacon and roasted - or were they 'battered' and deep fried? The mists of time.....
second cook knows--cooked second hand sausage wrapped round with bacon /battered /deep fried/served with homemade thick tomatoe sauce.Was agood alternative to greasy spam -yuk-fritters
Old 7th September 2008, 22:16

Second Cook? In my book "Chief Cook"; Had a go at the Kromeskies at lunch time today - a triumph. Gone are the days of "Can't cook. Won't cook" for me! At least in the eyes of the Lady Wife!!
Any thoughts on "Palm Fruit Sundae"?
Old 7th September 2008, 22:30

My location
Brock ships, leaving Mukalla in the Gulf of Aden, would usually have acquired some crayfish. The Chief Cook ( Bengali crews) would produce a curry with these "chingli". I do not normally care for fish curry, but this one with crayfish was to die for. If someone could turn the clocks back that is one experience to revisit.
Old 10th September 2008, 22:01

Jack Mulholland

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamH View Post
Thats right degsy, we used to call him "grocer jack", there was a song very popular at the time with the line "grocer jack get off your back, go into town, don't let them down". I think the song was called " from a tean age opera"
Like you I would say he was probably one of the best feeder I ever sailed with.
I well remember Jack, a privelige to have sailed with him. Talking of songs, Jack, whilist not being a Duane Eddy, could none the less handle a guitar. I remember one night in the Onitsha bar him treating us to a favourite from his grande repetoire. Lyrics below
We had a Tom cat his name was Ben
He had nine A###holes, F###ing near ten
He'd S##t all around the room of a night
And the green grass grew all around it
Oh! you take the poker I'll take the broom
We'll chase Sh###y A##e all around the room
He would'nt eat pie an he would'nt eat crust
But he'd eat rice pudding till he F###ing near Bust.

Then the refrain
Oh! star of the evening shining on the one I love
Star of the evening shining on our Sh##house door
Please dont pull our Sh##house down
Mother said she'd pay
If you pull our Sh##house down
We'll have no place to stay.

I can see Jack now in my mind's, pushing his glasses back up his nose whilst he strummed the guitar. Imagine if you can a balmy night on the West Coast of Africa . A beautiful Sunset, and Jack's melodious voice carrying to the African shore. It would have brought a tear to a glass eye, not a dry eye in the house. Happy Days
Old 11th September 2008, 18:18

Can you remember the yune this was sung to? I'd really like to have a go at it!
Old 11th September 2008, 19:14

Mullholland's Melody

Quote:
Can you remember the yune this was sung to? I'd really like to have a go at it!
Unfortunately I cant recollect the tune, I think it was just a song that had been hashed together. It meant allot to Jack he always became emotional when he sang it. It was either the song or the Tennants.
Old 6th October 2008, 02:21

Thumbs up Palm oil chop

Quote:
Egusi stew with yam flour foofoo, jollof rice, palm oil chop..Does anybody have memories of other delicacies we enjoyed years ago?
Yes happy memories of palm oil chop washed down with large quantities of gin,much looked forward to. I was sailing on the Winnebar at the time.
Old 6th October 2008, 17:11

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burned Toast View Post
Sandwitch Spead Sarni and pilchards in Tomato were great wrapped in greasproof paper, bread rock hard after a couple of hours. You lads were spoiled!!!
Ooh how I remember those sarnies BT