Ships Nostalgia banner

Lawrence

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  doug mac 
#1 ·
I just finished watching Lawrence of Arabia, probably for the 5th or 6th time. There is one scene were one of the Blues is going through the canal. All that is visible is the supperstructure and of course the stack. The movie was made in1962, so I`m sure somebody out there may have a name for her.
Ex Ben
Doug

#2 ·
Doug,

No doubt someone will have the answer for you. There are plenty of references to the ship's appearance on the internet, but most simply refer to her as a "late 50's Blue Funnel Line ship".

There is an article here which gives an insight into Blue Funnel's association with North Wales. Interestingly, one of the comments following the article is by a John Hughes from Cheshire who believes that Melampus was the vessel;

"Like Graham McMorine, I sailed on the Melampus on that final voyage of June 1967. I was the Junior Electrical Officer (lecky) at the time. I believe it was the Melampus that was featured in the Lawrence of Arabia film in the Suez Canal scene."

Graham McMorine is an SN member and since he knew her well (he was on board Melampus when she was trapped in the Bitter Lakes), he may be able to confirm John Hughes' suggestion.

I am not, by any means, a Blue Funnel expert however, I believe Melampus was built around 1960 so she would probably pass as a "late 50's Blue Funnel Line ship". (Thumb)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.