mv riseley voyage 1965-67 - Ships Nostalgia
22:15

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

mv riseley voyage 1965-67

Old 2nd April 2008, 20:46

mv riseley voyage 1965-67

Hi,

Anybody around today that was on the voyage - signed on Liverpool august 65 - signed off Manchester may 67.

Thanks
IainT
Old 25th May 2008, 14:34
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAINT View Post
Hi,

Anybody around today that was on the voyage - signed on Liverpool august 65 - signed off Manchester may 67.

Thanks
IainT
Hello Iain that looks like a long trip you did i would be very interested in your ports of call ,long trips where ok as long as you where running to some good ports along the way all the best
Old 26th May 2008, 21:45

Thumbs up Riseley Voyage

Hi Durango,

Joined Riseley in Liverpool - sailed for La Pallice France loaded fertilizer for Shanghai China bunkered Pulo Bukom Singapore - Port De Galets Reunion Island loaded sugar for Auckland N.Z. - Durban S.Africa loaded pig iron for Inchon S.Korea - dry docked Sasebo Japan - New Westminster, Canada, Naniamo /Chemanus Bay Vancouver Island loaded timber for Australia Sydney/Melbourne/Adelaide - Japan Nagoya ?? loaded cars ?? for Australia - Ceduna S.Australia loaded grain for Chittagong Bangladesh - Geraldton W.Australia loaded ore ?? for Kaoshiung Taiwan bunkered Balikpapan Indonesia - Bassein/Rangoon Burma loaded rice for Port Victoria Seychelles/Port Louis Mauritius bunkered Colombo - Capetown S.Africa loaded maize for Manchester.

Did a few Japan to Australia voyages.

Remember parts of the voyage but others not so sure as 43 years is a long time. Did keep a log but it has got lost over the years.

Have tried to find voyage/crew list records but no luck as yet. Maybe someone can help.

All the best
Iain T

Last edited by IAINT : 27th May 2008 at 19:38. Reason: /
Old 31st May 2008, 13:55

Quote:
Hi Durango,

Joined Riseley in Liverpool - sailed for La Pallice France loaded fertilizer for Shanghai China bunkered Pulo Bukom Singapore - Port De Galets Reunion Island loaded sugar for Auckland N.Z. - Durban S.Africa loaded pig iron for Inchon S.Korea - dry docked Sasebo Japan - New Westminster, Canada, Naniamo /Chemanus Bay Vancouver Island loaded timber for Australia Sydney/Melbourne/Adelaide - Japan Nagoya ?? loaded cars ?? for Australia - Ceduna S.Australia loaded grain for Chittagong Bangladesh - Geraldton W.Australia loaded ore ?? for Kaoshiung Taiwan bunkered Balikpapan Indonesia - Bassein/Rangoon Burma loaded rice for Port Victoria Seychelles/Port Louis Mauritius bunkered Colombo - Capetown S.Africa loaded maize for Manchester.

Remember parts of the voyage but others not so sure as 43 years is a long time. Did keep a log but it has got lost over the years.

Have tried to find voyage/crew list records but no luck as yet. Maybe someone can help.

All the best
Iain T
That brings back memories Iain especialy with regards to Shanghai , i paid of sick there in early 62 i was there for a month i flew out to join the Worthy Down in Hong Kong i got the job from prescott st , i was only on her for a couple of months then fell by the way side ,i took sick just after we left Singapore , from what i know it was the ice in the drinks ,i have to say the chinese treated me very well i was supposed to join her in Balikpapan but the company could not get a connecting flight from Djkarta as the service at that time was only once a week so i had to sit about on pay at home and wait for her to sail to Hong Kong [ hard life i know ] by the way did i miss anything by not going to Balikpapan , we also went to Rangoon and Java during my time in her , did you go into the Shanghai seamans club i spent best part of a week there after coming out of hospital before they put me on a train to Hong kong [ that took 2 days and thats another story ] all the best .
Old 1st June 2008, 09:56

Hi Durango,

Only at Balikpapan for a few hours so no shore leave, typical bunkering port.

Spent most nights at the Seamans Mission or the Friendship Club as these were the only two places that you could spend any money in those days.

Were given a book with your total sub on it and every time you bought any goods except beer/food the total was deducted from your sub till it was all gone.

Regards
Iain T
Old 1st June 2008, 21:30

Quote:
Hi Durango,

All the best
Iain T
I was on Buries Markes' bulk carrier La Chacra, we were in Sasebo dry-dock for about a month in 1964. The prop shaft had been damaged in Rio, and as we were going to Japan, Sasebo was the only dry-dock big enough to accommodate us. Sasebo was a US navy base and the servicemen were not allowed into certain parts of the town, where, obviously we went! The US Shorepatrol would come around, but they didn't bother us. A mate and I got friendly with some girls working in a bar, and, chatting one night, the subject got round to Japanese food. They offered to make us the national dish 'sukiyaki' the follwing night, which they did, and it was wonderful. Great times. Ian.
Old 2nd June 2008, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian b View Post
I was on Buries Markes' bulk carrier La Chacra, we were in Sasebo dry-dock for about a month in 1964. The prop shaft had been damaged in Rio, and as we were going to Japan, Sasebo was the only dry-dock big enough to accommodate us. Sasebo was a US navy base and the servicemen were not allowed into certain parts of the town, where, obviously we went! The US Shorepatrol would come around, but they didn't bother us. A mate and I got friendly with some girls working in a bar, and, chatting one night, the subject got round to Japanese food. They offered to make us the national dish 'sukiyaki' the follwing night, which they did, and it was wonderful. Great times. Ian.
There you go again Ian you mention a port [ Rio ] next thing i,m back in Santos we spent the whole of easter 65 there i aint never been the same since , spent 4 days ashore and survived , i was in the st essylt on her last voyage in fact it was the last voyage of the south american st line another of our great shipping companys lost forever , i was A.B. in her , i was just going to say a great time was had by all but then i remembered an A.B. in her the only time he ever went ashore abroad was to paint the ships side with a roller or to secure the gangway and we are talking south america here not some lousy out of the way dump , we paid off in south shields late in the afternoon so we stayed aboard that night and we were all going to catch the train to london early next morning this particular A.B. went ashore after we had been paid off and did all his pay off in the local betting shop i have never been able to forget that [ come to think of it i doubt that he has either ] i went home with more money than him , most of my money had been spent in various places that i wont bother to go into now , i guess it takes all sorts as the old saying goes .
Old 2nd June 2008, 18:30

Hi Ian b,

Ah, Sasebo, spent a couple of weeks in dry dock, plenty of bars to keep everyone happy.

See you were with Buries Markes sailed on the La Pampa 17/7/71 till 14/3/72.

Regards
Iain T
Old 6th June 2008, 19:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURANGO View Post
There you go again Ian you mention a port [ Rio ] next thing i,m back in Santos we spent the whole of easter 65 there i aint never been the same since , spent 4 days ashore and survived , i was in the st essylt on her last voyage in fact it was the last voyage of the south american st line another of our great shipping companys lost forever , i was A.B. in her , i was just going to say a great time was had by all but then i remembered an A.B. in her the only time he ever went ashore abroad was to paint the ships side with a roller or to secure the gangway and we are talking south america here not some lousy out of the way dump , we paid off in south shields late in the afternoon so we stayed aboard that night and we were all going to catch the train to london early next morning this particular A.B. went ashore after we had been paid off and did all his pay off in the local betting shop i have never been able to forget that [ come to think of it i doubt that he has either ] i went home with more money than him , most of my money had been spent in various places that i wont bother to go into now , i guess it takes all sorts as the old saying goes .
Hi Durango

You say I mention ports (Rio), when we arrived in Rio the A/S was forever on about Santos (not a patch on Rio), however, we were in Rio for 13 weeks (unlucky for some), and I think he changed his mind after that!!

I worked in Bookmakers in the seventies, and saw many people gambling their pay away on friday afternoons.
Old 6th June 2008, 19:52

Quote:
Hi Ian b,

Ah, Sasebo, spent a couple of weeks in dry dock, plenty of bars to keep everyone happy.

See you were with Buries Markes sailed on the La Pampa 17/7/71 till 14/3/72.

Regards
Iain T
Hi Iain (is this the Scottish way of spelling?).

I was also on La Estancia and La Marea. I have some photos of the drydocks at Sasebo, I've been meaning to dig them out, this'll probably spur me on.

Regards Ian.
Old 7th June 2008, 19:15

Hi Ian B

The Gaelic name for John is Iain or Eoin.

Regards
Iain T
Old 28th July 2012, 17:51

hi iaint
i was on the same voyage as you, 1965 to 1967 i was 3rd engineer and one of the few to last the course. i remember you well, tall lad with glasses. did you know that the riseley was sold to the greeks in 1973 and sank the following year in the bay of biscay regards alan mortimer
Old 29th July 2012, 19:37

crew lists are held at the following

Original crew-list documents

The findmypast.co.uk crew lists are indexes only. You will not see original crew list documents online, but you can use these indexes to locate the original hard copies. Original crew-list documents can provide extra information not contained in these indexes, and can also provide details for voyages and vessels not catalogued on findmypast.co.uk. Original crew-list documents are held by various repositories across the UK and in Canada:
70 per cent are at the Maritime History Archive (MHA), in Newfoundland
10 per cent are at The National Archives, Kew
10 per cent are at the National Maritime Museum (NMM), Greenwich
10 per cent are at local record offices or archives
hope this helps
regards
Old 27th August 2012, 15:34

Riseley

Hi Alan Mortimer,

Nice to hear from you, sure you came from the Newcastle area along with the 2nd and Chief, juniors came from if i remember all from the Liverpool area. Was the OM called Quigley, the mate Indian, the 2nd mate was old chap think from the Liverool area, the 3rd mate from Ireland. I can recall we did not come back with too many of the original crew. Did not know that the ship sank in 1973.

Regards
Iain T
Old 27th August 2012, 15:39

Crew Lists

Hi BGrace,

Thanks for the info, tried the site in Newfoundland but no luck so far.

Regards
Iain T
Old 28th August 2012, 11:05

Hi Iain, Yes, you are right,I am from Newcastle, also the Chief Engineer who was Tommy Coates.The 2nd Engineer was Maurice Garth, the 4th Engineer was called Ken,from Chester, can't remember his second name, we lost him over the side. The Old Man was called McCardle, also from Newcastle. The Mate was Indian, Matt Dillon, the 2nd Mate was Frankie Flowerdew. There was a Junior called Bob, from the Stafford area.I met him by chance about 20 years ago,he was working for GEC.There was another Junior called Jim, and another one jumped ship. You are right, the 3rd Mate was Irish but I cant remember his name. Very nice to hear from you, it brought back a lot of memories. Regards Alan M.
Old 23rd September 2012, 21:04

Hi Iain,Two of my mates were on the "Riseley",both AB's there names were John Ryder and Harry Edwards,they both jumped in NZ about the time you are talking about,I wonder do you remember them.
Old 17th January 2013, 18:55

Riseley

Hi Ray Morgan,

Sorry, do not remember the names of the two AB's we lost quite a lot of the crew in NZ (Auckland), Aussie and Canada. We did not come back to the UK with the same crew.

Regards
IAIN T
Old 22nd January 2013, 01:41

My location
Hi Iain,

Worked with a guy about 15 years ago who was on Riseley around that time if i remember. Name was Jim Stephens and he was in engine room, maybe junior eng. Cheers Dave
Old 14th February 2013, 19:47

Riseley

Hi Dave,

The Junior Engr named Jim Stephen sure he came from Liverpool believe he liked to go climbing, he did come back with the vessel to the UK.

Regards
Iain T
Old 5th April 2014, 17:32
Organisation: Port Authorities
Active: 1965 - 2008

I was a cadet on the Riseley. Did a 5 month trip prior to the 65 voyage signed off at the Hutchison sugar dock in Liverpool and signed back on again about a week later.

La Pallice France to load fertiliser for Shanghai then went all over the place after that. Australia, N.Z. Reunion, Inchon for pig iron, Japan for cars for Aus. I jumped ship after 16 months on board in Port Lincoln after falling in love with a 'Shelia' in Melbourne which was not a good career move! I remember a lot of people jumped ship on this voyage.

Last edited by cms.pilot : 5th April 2014 at 17:36.
Old 26th April 2014, 20:41

Riseley

[quote=cms.pilot;786466]I was a cadet on the Riseley. Did a 5 month trip prior to the 65 voyage signed off at the Hutchison sugar dock in Liverpool and signed back on again about a week later.

La Pallice France to load fertiliser for Shanghai then went all over the place after that. Australia, N.Z. Reunion, Inchon for pig iron, Japan for cars for Aus. I jumped ship after 16 months on board in Port Lincoln after falling in love with a 'Shelia' in Melbourne which was not a good career move! I remember a lot of people jumped ship on this voyage.

Remember yourself - wondered what happened to you after your pier jump - there was a lot of shall we say new crew members especially in Aussie - have spoken to Alan the 3rd Eng on this site.

Regards
Iain T R/O
Old 27th April 2014, 11:41

Hello Iain nice to hear from you after all those years. I must say that reading the threads on the voyage was like taking a trip down memory lane.

I can vaguely remember Capt MacArdle(?) having white hair. The 1st Mate was called Matt Dillon (after the TV sheriff of the same name). The 2nd Mate was called Frank and was a professional second mate as he didn't want the responsibility of the mate's job. I have forgotten the 3rd mates name but he was getting sea-time in for his mates ticket. He certainly got that!!

I recall the C/E as wearing a beret and spending most of his time walking around the accommodation decks with a rolled up newspaper in his hand. Don't recall the 2/E but can vaguely remember Alan the 3/E who I used to get along with quite well. The 4/E called Ken was lost over the side.

I also recall the two A/B's who joined the ship in Aus or N.Z. The bigger chap of the two used to whistle all the time and was quite gifted at it. I sailed on a Shell tanker with him while I was a 2nd Mate. It was through his whistling that I recognised him.

After I parted company with the 'Riseley' in Port Lincon, I spent about 6 months in Oz before being deported home DBS to my not too happy parents. Spent 2 years as an EDH with Shell Tankers which gave me the incentive to study for my Second Mates ticket and get of by backside and make something of myself.

I spent 9-10 years with Shell and got my Mates and Masters tickets with them before going offshore on supply boats and oil terminal support vessels. Got some pilotage experience at an oil terminal in Nigeria. Emigrated to Eastern Canada to work as superintendent for a Canadian oil company. Spent nine years with them before falling in with a small US oil company with production interests in Equatorial Guinea and worked for them as an independent contractor for interesting 11 years.

After that had a brief spell in Nigeria again on a FPSO start-up operation, and another short spell with BP in Egypt before retiring in 2006.

I don't know if you are into Facebook, but I have a page there if you want to become a 'friend' there.

All the best,
Andrew Cumpstey
Headland Road
Torquay.
Old 27th April 2014, 18:04

Well it all worked out for you in the end Andrew and back then we all had our adventures I paid off sick in Shanghai back in 1962 at the time I was none to happy about it , but now I would not have missed it for the world I saw a different China than I would have done we had a few mishaps along the way but we where lucky to have been at sea during those times best regards Dave .
Old 28th April 2014, 08:58

Hello Dave, nice to hear from you after all these years.

I recall you were always kind to me as a green second trip cadet on board the Riseley, and would slip me the odd cold can Tennants. Looking back on the trip it was really a pretty miserable existence really with SS but we really saw some interesting ports. I came back from Oz with the Federal Steamship Lines on the 'Essex' which was a real eye opener as how the other half lived.

All the best,
Andrew.