Help please. - Ships Nostalgia
14:45

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Help please.

Old 8th April 2008, 14:04

Help please.

Help to find an old shipmate.

James Chadwick was the Marconi on the good ship 'John W MacKay' (cableship) when I was 3rd mate aboard from 69 to 72.

An educated, urbane complete piss-head you could not have sailed with a better man. Many and many a night, after coming off watch at 24:00 I would happen to the shack, which was on the boatdeck just forward of the funnel on that ship, and share a Tennants or two. Good memories of years long gone - the best perhaps getting the girls ashore in Curacao before the Old Man got up. Happy days.

Any infor would be most welcome. Thank you.

David
Old 8th April 2008, 15:41

My location
If he was J. CHadwick I can't find him in the May-June 1975 appointments list, David.
The only Chadwicks are P. G., on the Texaco Copenhagen and E., on leave from Liverpool depot.

Cheers
Kris
Old 8th April 2008, 16:23

I suspect this was a direct employ cableship.
The "John W McKay" was operating of Rio in 1960 and the R/O then was ex Niarchos who nearly got me into a spot of bother coming out late evening in a launch to take me ashore before we had cleared customs and immigration the following morning.
Had a great p...up next day on this lovely vessel and my big regret was being gifted a vibroplex bug key which for reasons stated I forgot to take with me.
Old 9th April 2008, 08:38

Thank you Gentlemen.

He was James for sure though what his 'proper' initials were I have no idea. He came from Dublin which may ring a bell with someone.

In my innocence it never occured to me that all Marconies were not directly Marconies but the concept of direct employment rings true with the John W Mackay which did about everything differently from others.

I'm glad you were aboard of her R651400 - she was indeed a lovely ship, the happiest I ever sailed on and the only one that I can remember with the Radio Office where it should have been in lone splendor on the boat deck, all varnished and pretty.

David
Old 9th April 2008, 12:45
andysk andysk is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1978

She sat for a long time on the Thames near Greenwich, somewhere I have a slide of her there, but blowed if I can find it.

She was a classic looking vessel, and a delight to behold. Such a shame she was scrapped, she should have been recycled as a submarine cable and comms museum there - Greenwich is a tad more accessible than Porthcurno !
Old 9th April 2008, 14:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Miller View Post
I'm glad you were aboard of her R651400 - she was indeed a lovely ship, the happiest I ever sailed on and the only one that I can remember with the Radio Office where it should have been in lone splendor on the boat deck, all varnished and pretty.
David
Yes I do remember the radio room and also the officers mess perhaps amidships down some steep steps which got steeper and steeper as the day's revelry went on. I think I dined on board but was too p....d to remember or leaving the JWM on the same launch I mentioned previously. Happy days.
Old 10th April 2008, 07:48

My location
cable ship

That was'nt that "cable ship" in that movie "A Prayer for the Dying" with Bob Hoskins and Micky Rouke was it ? that was filmed in london
All the best
Hughesy