Cuvier - Ships Nostalgia
10:49

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Cuvier

Old 11th April 2008, 23:17

Cuvier

I have been diving on the wreck of the Cuvier which sank following a collision on 9/3/1900 off of Dover with the Norwegian SS Douvre and would be very keen to hear anything that people know of this ship.

She is in incredibly good condition on the seabed.
Old 3rd October 2008, 09:48

Smile ss cuvier

I've just started researching this ship, having discovered an ancestor of mine, William Richard Nicholson, was drowned following the collision.

The Lloyds Register gives the following information :

Official No : 87903
Tonnage : 2299(registered) 2021(gross) 1452(net)
Built by : A.Leslie & Co Newcastle
Date : 1883
Owners : J.Henderson
Length : 302ft
Breadth : 37.2 ft
Depth : 24.6 ft
Port of Registry : Liverpool
Flag : British

The Lloyd's Lists immediately prior to the collision on 9/3/1900 record that she left Liverpool on 26/2, arriving London (probably Gravesend) 27/2. Left London 5/3, arriving Antwerp 6/3. Left Antwerp 9/3 bound for Santos in Brazil.

Collision occurred at approx 5am with the Dovre, a Norwegian steamer, carrying coal from Burntisland (near Kirkcaldy in Fife) to Dieppe. The Dovre arrived in Dieppe with considerable damage, but no reports from her that she'd stopped after collision.

The Windsor picked up the second mate and 2 other seaman,from a capsized boat at 7am, all the others presumed drowned. The captain and 3rd mate were seen to jump from the bridge, but presumably did not survive. Following the collision (on the starboard quarter) the survivors stated that she blew her whistle for assistance, and shortly afterwards settled down by the stern and sank. Most of the men were in their bunks.

A court case followed but on May 14 the local court in Dieppe found the Cuvier alone to blame for the collision, and awarded the Dovre '2,400l' for 'damages, demurrage, and indemnity.

I note from the internet that a group calling themselves the Canterbury Divers also dive on the wreck, and have taken away crockery, and a porthole. I'm not sure what the ethics of this is, not being a diver.

Are you able to give me a precise position for the wreck so I can locate it on a map, please?

Also, there is an indication that the Cuvier was designed to carry passengers, but the numbers on board (26?) at the time seem to indicate no passengers were being carried.

I hope you find this of interest, and would be grateful for a location reference.

Best wishes,

Charlie
Old 3rd October 2008, 14:25

Welcome Cavier. See that already you are getting assistance. Sure you will enjoy this wonderful site
Best wishes
Bert.
Old 3rd October 2008, 15:21

Paul and Charlie, a warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia.
Good to have you onboard and thank you both for the interesting thread as your first postings.

Bruce