Scanning and Image "NOISE" - Ships Nostalgia
01:32

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Scanning and Image "NOISE"

Old 3rd May 2008, 08:09

Scanning and Image "NOISE"

Hello all:
I would like an opinion or recommendation you may have to address the following problem with scanned images, especially those that are scanned from books. I do descreen, and that takes care of that part. The problem is with noise as it is called. I have Adobe Photoshop 7.0, and have been told about a Photoshop add-on. I think, but not sure, it is called “Pixel Genius”, but can’t be certain. The friend who sent me the info had also sent several other links to various other software for doing different things, and he is gone ‘till September. He had taken a couple of ship scans I had from a book, and they were terrible. When he sent them back they had improved immensley.He told me with little efford the so called noise is removed, and the quality of the scans greatly improved.

I have to wonder if anything I just said makes sense to any of you, but those that do scan should understand what I mean. Is there anything else I can use? Something free of very cheap would be great. Shareware would even be better. Is the add-on program I just mentioned for doing this sort of thing?

Any help will be most appreciated, and I thank you for you time.
Cheers,
Rory
Old 3rd May 2008, 10:08

http://www.pixelgenius.com/downloads.html
Free for a limited time
Old 3rd May 2008, 13:17
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1951 - 2010

My location
Noise

I use CS2 and under
Filters-Noise-Despeckle
Have a play with that.
With newspaper in particular I hit the picture with plenty of Contrast to make the text stand out and then add Brightness to get rid of the grey tone of the background.
Regards..
Old 3rd May 2008, 14:04

My location
My Epson scanner software calls it descreening and gives you the option of selecting "newspaper", "magazine" or "fine print" (175 lpi).
If you are still getting interference patterns it's probably because of using the wrong "lpi" setting.
Sometimes the frequency of the dots cannot be matched by the descreening process. It's either that or the number of dpi you're using that is causing the intereference.
I have found that leaving it switched off is the better solution on occasion and experimenting with dpi settings before applying it again.

Cheers
Kris
Old 3rd May 2008, 14:52
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
Rory,

One of the systems I use for my copying is Picasa2 which is free from Google.
I think you would find it useful.

Hawkey01
Old 3rd May 2008, 19:56

Gentlemen thank you all;
I'm not very good at expressing or understanding all the PC stuff. I just like to use it to produce the best image when it becomes available. For the most part any printed pix in a book has this so-called noise. The scanner probably adds more to it. I do not believe the screening is the noise, and my scanners take care of that. If I may, let me show you what I mean by putting up [I hope] one of the pix in question - a sort of Before & After. While you may thing the image is still not the best, I feel it is a great improvement, and now I can work to remove some other stuff manually. Please let me know your comments. Cheers, Rory
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...912_01_GWF.jpg
Old 4th May 2008, 13:03
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1951 - 2010

My location
Noise

1/ The top photo has an accute lack of Contrast and possibly needs the Curve filter to darken the whole photograph. Mind you the lower photo looks very good.

2/ Or could this be what you are after? Excuse the roughness but I did it in a couple of minutes.
Regards..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (87.5 KB, 45 views)
Old 5th May 2008, 18:47

Thanks rickles23 ;
That does seem to work also. Now I've been told the following "... the program you need is at www.neatimage.com
have a good day .... Greg
Anybody know this one?
Cheers,
Rory

Last edited by Rory : 6th May 2008 at 11:33.
Old 10th May 2008, 07:56

Well! All;
My Guru came home for a spell, and I got first hand experience with his program "Neatimage" I downloaded the free demo, and that works too, but is limited to a maximum size of 1024 x yyy. I have ordered the licence, and looking forward to getting the full blown program [add-on to Photoshop]. It really cleans up the "noise", and a few adjustments with the Highpass filters and hard or soft light, and it makes the book scan look like the real photograph.
Thanks All for your help here.
Cheers,
Rory
Old 10th May 2008, 09:30

I use Paint Shop Pro. I find that does everything I require to sort out my images including dealing with noise.
Having taught myself photography spending a lot of time in a darkroom, what a difference it is to take a pic and within a few mins have it on board the computer and email it to anywhere in the world - or to Ship Nostalgia !
Great this technology !
I also have photo shop, but find in the main, it's a sledgehammer to crack a nut, although I think a lot more can be done with photoshop which is used in the printing industry.

Peter

Last edited by shippix : 10th May 2008 at 09:32.
Old 10th May 2008, 19:45

Hi Peter;
I must agree with you on the Photoshop being a bit big for most of us, especially myself. I received it from my daughter as she is a graphic artist, and gets a new version whenever one comes out. The "Neatimage" add on is really fantastic, and I am amazed at how well it works.
Rory
Old 11th May 2008, 02:39

My location
Photo Editing Software

I agree about the Adobe Photo Shop CS2 / 3 being over the top but Photo Shop elements is much more reasonable but my personal favourite is Corels PhotoImpact X3 (it was Ulead). It is by far the cheapest and IMHO the most user-friendly - a 30 day free trial version is available at:

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...nloadContainer

and by the way I have no financial stake in this company!

Cheers,

Bob
Old 13th May 2008, 20:15

Rory, I find picasa 2 a free download from google is a good program to organise files on one's computer. There are tools to help one to improve basic corrections to pics, although not noise. It even allows one to set up a web site with their pics. I have done this.
Old 16th May 2008, 23:06

Just thought you might like to know. I did get the program "Neat Image", and it works great. There is also the free demo version, but that is limited to a size 1024x???. It is well worth the $50.00 I paid for it.
Cheers,
Rory
Old 17th May 2008, 07:27

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory View Post
Just thought you might like to know. I did get the program "Neat Image", and it works great. There is also the free demo version, but that is limited to a size 1024x???. It is well worth the $50.00 I paid for it.
Cheers,
Rory
Hi Rory, in view of your enthusiastic report I downloaded the free version and it installed in both PhotoImpact and Photoshop Elements no problem and as you reported it does an excellent job - and the 1024 x 1024 limit is makes it ideal for use on this most excellent site.
Old 17th May 2008, 08:33

Hi Bob;
Glad you liked it. I am going so far as to say some of my book scanned images are now photographs, so to speak. It is fantastic the way it cleans up noise. Now I have learned from my guru how to sharpen in a new way. Filter, High Pass, Hard light on one Layer, and soft light on the second Layer, and this attacks only the fringes [outline] rather than the whole image. A few other tricks are yet to come. It is nice to know that a scanned book image can be so good when that is all that is available.
I wanted the regular version for $50.00 as most of my scanns are up there in size. I am very impressed with this product. Interesting too we are talking about it as they advertise only by word of mouth.
Cheers,
Rory