Submitting Photos - Ships Nostalgia
10:08

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

Submitting Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12th May 2008, 22:35
Ian b Ian b is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 40
Submitting Photos

I want to submit a photo of one of my ships. This is an official company photo so I don't have the owners permission. Can I still submit it? Will it be accepted?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12th May 2008, 22:38
Gavin Gait Gavin Gait is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
My location
Posts: 11,693
Sorry Ian but you can only post photos on here with the permission of the copyright holder if you didn't take the photo yourself. Have you tried asking the company if they would allow you to post it on here?? sometimes they are ok with that being done sometimes not but it never hurts to ask them.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12th May 2008, 22:42
Ian b Ian b is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 40
Hello Davie.

This is one of Buries Markes ships which, sadly, are no more.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12th May 2008, 22:45
Gavin Gait Gavin Gait is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
My location
Posts: 11,693
If the photo is over 20 years old then provided you put in the company name and any photographer shown on the photo then you can post it. If someone complains that its copyright we may have to remove it though.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12th May 2008, 22:48
John Rogers's Avatar
John Rogers John Rogers is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954
 
Join Date: May 2004
My location
Posts: 8,177
In my opinion if you give credit to the ownership I don't think much would be said,but thats my opinion, plus the picture is seveal years old.

John.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 29th January 2009, 14:38
Terry Gittoes Terry Gittoes is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 53
large photo

hi i have a couple of photographs that i cant get on!! says they are too big, i have taken them with my digital camera and then scanned them but still no joy!! says max allowed 500kb what is that? how do i reduce them??
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 29th January 2009, 14:40
Terry Gittoes Terry Gittoes is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 53
large photos

i forgot to mention that i photographed them from original snap shot photographs
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 29th January 2009, 15:32
Steve Woodward Steve Woodward is offline  
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
My location
Posts: 0
Terry you need to reduce the size of your images, the sites software can do it but it can be slow and very large images will cause the down load to fail.
There are several free places for software to do this I use VSO which is CLICK HERE
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 29th January 2009, 15:33
Pat Kennedy's Avatar
Pat Kennedy Pat Kennedy is online now  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 8,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Gittoes View Post
hi i have a couple of photographs that i cant get on!! says they are too big, i have taken them with my digital camera and then scanned them but still no joy!! says max allowed 500kb what is that? how do i reduce them??
Terry,
I had the same problem a few months ago and someone on this site told me to download a free programme called IrfanView, which allows you to re-size a photo, bringing it under 500kbs. Its dead easy. Just do a google search for IrfanView, and download it to your programme files.
Regards,
Pat
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 29th January 2009, 16:01
R58484956's Avatar
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 13,662
Click on www.irfanView.com/
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 5th February 2009, 05:07
Four Bells's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
Terry,
I had the same problem a few months ago and someone on this site told me to download a free programme called IrfanView, which allows you to re-size a photo, bringing it under 500kbs. Its dead easy. Just do a google search for IrfanView, and download it to your programme files.
Regards,
Pat
Irfanview is good but leaves you with a BMP photo make sure you change it to a jpeg,
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 5th February 2009, 10:47
K urgess K urgess is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
My location
Posts: 0
Although I've not used it, I should think you will be able to change the default save format to jpg.
A bmp picture is a lot bigger than a jpg because of a lack of compression so if you reduce it to below 500Kb and save it as bmp then convert it to jpg it may end up a lot smaller than you intended.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 5th February 2009, 11:02
Four Bells's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Sahib View Post
Although I've not used it, I should think you will be able to change the default save format to jpg.
A bmp picture is a lot bigger than a jpg because of a lack of compression so if you reduce it to below 500Kb and save it as bmp then convert it to jpg it may end up a lot smaller than you intended.
Maybe I made a mistake from the scanner,but for months I was trying to down load,taking the scanned photo to irfran/picassa down sizeing to 500 to be sent back not excepted,her indoors said try 'save as' from the resizeing to a folder as a jpeg BINGO,standby I've heaps.cheers for a GREAT SITE.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 7th February 2009, 19:36
LizzieNo1 LizzieNo1 is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 0
Or, if you want to edit your photo while online. This is quite a good online program to use.

Pixlr Photo Editor
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2nd June 2009, 11:36
Dickyboy's Avatar
Senior Member
Active: 1964 - 2009
 
Join Date: May 2009
My location
Posts: 4,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie Tait View Post
Sorry Ian but you can only post photos on here with the permission of the copyright holder if you didn't take the photo yourself. Have you tried asking the company if they would allow you to post it on here?? sometimes they are OK with that being done sometimes not but it never hurts to ask them.
I'm pleased I found this thread, I was about to ask about company official photo's.
I phoned BP up a few days ago, having found there new address and phone number. And got through to the relevant department. The phone was on "Leave a message" which I did, including my telephone number. She never came back to me.
Some of the photo's I have are marked as copyrighted on the back, but some aren't. Would I be allowed to use the ones that aren't marked as copyrighted?
Being Official Photo's they are pretty good, and of course show the ships in their best light. Blue sea, blue sky, well painted and so on. None of them show a ship in a Force 10, just after an oil spillage or broken down
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 2nd June 2009, 11:44
K urgess K urgess is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
My location
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyboy View Post
I'm pleased I found this thread, I was about to ask about company official photo's.
I phoned BP up a few days ago, having found there new address and phone number. And got through to the relevant department. The phone was on "Leave a message" which I did, including my telephone number. She never came back to me.
Some of the photo's I have are marked as copyrighted on the back, but some aren't. Would I be allowed to use the ones that aren't marked as copyrighted?
Being Official Photo's they are pretty good, and of course show the ships in their best light. Blue sea, blue sky, well painted and so on. None of them show a ship in a Force 10, just after an oil spillage or broken down
It all depends on the age of the pictures.
Recent pictures are a no-no.
There are several questions to ask yourself before posting.
If I didn't take the picture then who did?
Can I find this picture for sale on the internet?
Is the picture less than 30 years old? (A purely arbitary figure and nothing really to do with copyright)
Is the picture in the gallery already?
Is the picture going to be an asset to the gallery?

If you have the pictures on your computer from an email, CD/DVD or internet source then the answer is no. If you have hard copy of the picture and have scanned it yourself then the answer could possibly be yes.

If you get it wrong the worst thing that happens is that it gets deleted.

Regards
Kris
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 15th June 2009, 06:47
Dickyboy's Avatar
Senior Member
Active: 1964 - 2009
 
Join Date: May 2009
My location
Posts: 4,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Sahib View Post
It all depends on the age of the pictures.
Recent pictures are a no-no.
There are several questions to ask yourself before posting.
If I didn't take the picture then who did?
Can I find this picture for sale on the internet?
Is the picture less than 30 years old? (A purely arbitary figure and nothing really to do with copyright)
Is the picture in the gallery already?
Is the picture going to be an asset to the gallery?

If you have the pictures on your computer from an email, CD/DVD or internet source then the answer is no. If you have hard copy of the picture and have scanned it yourself then the answer could possibly be yes.

If you get it wrong the worst thing that happens is that it gets deleted.

Regards
Kris
Someone once said "Publish and be dammed" So I'll post them in the hope they won't get deleted.
The pictures were given to me by BP, I can't imagine them objecting to them being published as they show their ships in a good light.
Thanks for your advice.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cunard Photo's Issues LizzieNo1 Cunard 6 13th May 2008 03:57
Deleting Photos from My Photos Bridie Computers and The Internet 3 9th November 2006 20:20
'Jo' Dashwood-Howard's Brocklebank Photos Douglas Dashwood-Howard Brocklebank Line 12 14th November 2005 17:12
Magazine Photos Ron Stringer Cameras, Photography and Equipment 11 30th October 2005 22:06



Search the net with ask.com
Support SN
Ask.com and get


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.