William Wilberforce - Ships Nostalgia
10:46

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

William Wilberforce

Old 20th May 2008, 20:43

William Wilberforce

I'm doing a bit of family research and looking for data on the "William Wilberforce", built by Hendersons in 1930, possibly lost to enemy action in the war. I've taken the liberty of posting a photo in the gallery, from the family album, of the vessel believed to be under tow at the time, date unsure. Anybody have any data on the the vessel's history and eventual end ?
Old 20th May 2008, 21:04

My location
If you go to the Miramar site here you'll find some details.
Old 20th May 2008, 21:04

Charles:
Here's a short account of her sinking in 1943:

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/2580.html

Bruce
Old 20th May 2008, 21:11
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/s...a2742266.shtml
Old 20th May 2008, 21:57
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1990

My location
William Wilberforce

Built for African Steamship Co. by D&W Henderson, Glasgow. Completed May 1930.

9th January 1943 (Capt. J. W. Andrew) torpedoed and sunk by U511 (Kapitanleutnant Fritz Schneewind) in position 29 20 N, 26 53 W while on voyage Lagos - Liverpool, general cargo.
Schneewind saw William Wilberforce's mastheads at 1725. She was steering a mean course of 325 at 11 knots while zig-zagging by 30 to 40 degrees. U511 hauled ahead until 2045, at which time the ship executed a large zig for nightfall before returning to her original course 15 minutes later. U511 then ran in on the surface from down moon, firing at 2142 a salvo of two bow torpedoes which ran for 55 seconds before striking the target, one amidships, the other forward. The ship took a list to port and within five minutes had capsized, sinking by the head at 2154.
U511 closed the lifeboats, of which there were four, and found out the name of the vessel and her port of departure and destination.
Three crew members lost their lives.

Extract from Elder Dempster Fleet History

Further pic. uploaded to Cargo Vessel gallery
Old 21st May 2008, 07:29

Thanks to all, I had some outline details, mostly verbal family stories and so on. Fantastic immediate response, and a lot of first class data to add to what I have and to follow up. Many thanks again to all !
Old 21st May 2008, 08:46

Poop Deck Armament

While on the wartime subject, here's another quickie from the family album.
Looks like the installation has just been completed, judging by the scrap metal bits lying around on the deck! The chap looking rather pleased with his efforts, is my father. Ship and location are unknown but it is E.D.'s. Anybody like to throw up any info ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Poop deck reduced.jpg (56.2 KB, 76 views)
Old 21st May 2008, 13:05

My location
Those bits scattered around look like some sort of non-slip stuff.
A couple look as if they're welded down so could be there to let the gun crew's boots grip the deck better in heavy weather.
Looks like a stern light hanging on the rail. It may be possible to identify where it is by looking at the pictures of the whole ship.
Although why she's headed off at ninety degrees to the other vessel is a bit of a mystery.
Cheers
Kris
Old 21st May 2008, 20:14

Hi Kris, Think the bits hanging on the rail are the tackle for the trailing log ("Walkers" log is it?). Mebbe the top of the stern light at deck level. No disturbance of the water visible so I guess at anchor someplace. T'other boat looks like just getting the h*ll out of the way PDQ ! Non-slip idea is good, one I hadn't thought of, but poss a bit early for 'elf 'n safety types! Only wish the old fella was still around to give us the full story.
73's ... Chas.
Old 21st May 2008, 20:28

My location
Wouldn't think the box was for the Walker's log stuff, Chas.
A bit dodgy dropping the log into the turbulent water aft. Normally streamed from the break of the poop or a spar from midships.
Probably a sand box so your Dad can put his cig out.
Either that or spare bulb for the stern light and gear for starting the oil fired stern light if necessary.
Not necessarily elfin safety. Those decks get very slippery in the wet especially if you've got a four inch shell in your arms.
Cheers
Kris