Spero, Ellerman Wilson Line (1969). - Ships Nostalgia
06:13

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Spero, Ellerman Wilson Line (1969).

Old 13th June 2005, 20:06
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1965 - 1970

Spero, Ellerman Wilson Line (1969).

particularly would dearly love to chat with any of the football team that played in the 1969 season, I think the manager was George, he was the restaurant manager i believe.there are so many hard luck stories to talk about.
Old 14th October 2005, 07:09

Spero 1914

hi.obviously,i'm long before your time &i don't know anything abt the football team.in my day we used to play touch rugby on the wharf at night.my first job with wilson's was the old spero in 1957,she was scrapped a few month's lateri would love to hear from any of the old hands of that time
Old 14th October 2005, 11:12

hello Peter, nice to hear from you, where did you use to go on the Spero of your day?
The Spero I was on was a ro/ro ferry from Hull to Gothenburg, up till then i had only ever worked on tankers and cargo boats.I didn't like the Spero when I joined it, we lived so far down in the ship it was awful. I started off in the crew mess, serving them their meals and cleaning up, the job was ok. as I was working on my own, I then found out that there was a football team on the ship and that they were hoping to get into a league for merchant navy ships of any nationality and to play in the team I transferred to working in the passenger cafeteria.
It turned out to be a fantastic job, I was in the football team so life was brilliant.
I ended staying on the ship for 1 year and had a great time, I got the sack for continually turning to late, I can't blame them as I really was a pain, the social life on the ship was really good and it took it's toll.
All in all I really enjoyed my time on there.
I was also with the same shipping company with the Cicero and then the Silvio and enjoyed those ships, perhaps not so much the Cicero.
I worked in catering, mainly as a galley boy, it was a job I really enjoyed, I must have been one of the fastest spud peelers in the western world.......and loved it!
Again, it was nice to hear from you.
Ray
Old 14th October 2005, 19:33

hi peter was you on the DAGO RIALTO TINTO VOLO WERE ARE YOU NOW IN THE UK OR NZ
SAM
Old 24th October 2005, 03:23

hi sam2182,
1thought it must be you.yes i'm the nz side of the family .i wasn't sure of how to contact you on this web.i'll wait and see what happens this time.all well this end
Old 25th October 2005, 20:35

hi peter though it might be you i can remember you going to the old SPERO WHEN YOU JOINED EWL. I THINK SHE WAS LAID UP IN ALEX DOCK OR THAT COULD BE VICTORIA DOCK.glad you got the jist of the message i dont think there are a lot of ship mates left from that football team you must be one of the last. anyway i will keep a look out for your threads and i have not for got the book about T. J . HARRISONS YOU WILL FIND A LOT OF MEMBERS ON THIS SITE. ALL WELL AT THIS END SAM
Old 1st March 2006, 16:55
rennop

MV Spero Football team

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgreggie
particularly would dearly love to chat with any of the football team that played in the 1969 season, I think the manager was George, he was the restaurant manager i believe.there are so many hard luck stories to talk about.
Hi Reggie, I was on the Spero 1967- 69 & played quite often for the team, we used to play in the Scandinavian ships league at the Gothenburg seamans club "Rosenbergs",in the winter we would ski ( after a fashion) I think we were the only side to have a can of Hull Brewery export at half time instead of an orange! teammates I remember were ,Pete Knowles,Tony Frankish, Reg Kemp,
George Mounce was the Manager he was the cafeteria manager, I worked as a "bar steward" in the Calypso Bar, and ,York Lounge some great characters there ,Joe Cowan, Laurie Mathieson, Ken Powdril, Pat Walters Will Grant,I still see Pat & Will, my Brother Shaun, chef Alan Mulligan, purser Dennis Thompson, the old man was Freddie Briggs, he used to come down to the pig n whistle for a pint and a game of darts, got to go come back soon, happy days. Rennop
Old 2nd March 2006, 15:11

hiya Paul, I remember you, I worked in the cafe (by the way George was the restaurant manager, I think Brian was the cafe manager), you're the one who tried to smack your toothpaste into Kenny Cable's mouth in the crew mess, remember?, it went right down the front of your bar jacket which was I think blue, Kenny ended up with a large glob on his cheek, how you missed his gob is a mystery to me.
I remember Pat, a tall guy, I palled around with Dave Mercer for quite a while.
The football and the social life were the tops, I played in the football team for every match until I got the sack for turning too late once too often, it was a relief cafe manager and I think he had been warned about me, can't blame him as I was bad, my hoppo in the cafe was a kid called Jim Bridgen.
I've not seen anyone that I use to sail with since I left the Merchant Navy in 1971 when I got married to a girl I met on the Spero.
When I got the sack we had played 5 of our 7 league games, we had won all of them, usually by scores of 10-0 or even higher, we lost our last two games but still ended up as the highest placed british ship.
What a ship, what a crew, I was on it for just over 1 year ..but what a year!
Do you still see Kenny Cable, Dave Mercer, Alan Hall
Speak to you again .
Ray.
Old 3rd March 2006, 14:19
rennop

Hi again Ray,i think I remember you too, I definitely remember Dave Mercer, I think he married a girl from the crew Jackie?? Ken Cable I have seen once or twice, I went on the Abbey boats as third crew barman after the Spero and chucked it when they shut down, then after a year ashore went on the oilrigs, first as cook/steward ,or Camp Boss as the yanks called it and later as a welders mate/roughneck (better money), still live in Hull area , speak to you again,
Paul
Old 3rd March 2006, 20:14

hello again Paul, just a few more team members I remember, I remember most of the ones you mentioned, by the way it was Pete 'the feet' Knowles!, there was a brilliant lad from Sheffield in goal, Twiggy, he palled around with Dave Mercer, Alan Hall and myself, I was also from near Sheffield, what I meant to say about Twiggy was that he was brilliant in goal, our centre half was the radio operator, Kenny Cable was a fair decent player as well, Kenny Powdrill also played didn't he.
We were 'mentored' by a swedish guy who had links of some kind with Rosenberg, he showed some kind of support to us his name was Stig Danielson I believe, he had at one time represented Sweden in the olympics.
We were awarded with a medal and a penknife for ending where we did.
You may recall one time where you and Pat called at Dave Mercer's house, you were back to join the ship for it's usual sailing, Dave and I had been around Hull all day on the booze and we decided to jump ship, it was only you and Pat that talked us out of it, we went back and were legless all shift.
Do you remember that episode with the toothpaste and Kenny Cable?
Dave was going with Jacqui on the ship, she worked in that shop just outside the cafe, very attractive dark haired girl, she had a good personality, so Dave married her did he.
I packed the sea up shortly after leaving the Spero, I did a short while on one of the North Sea ferries, was it the Norwave, crap it was, I didn't last long on there, again it was down to my inability to turn too on time after a session on the booze.
I ended up back on the Spero, unbelievably I got my old job back in the cafeteria, I only lasted one day and again turned too late after a session, so I decided it was time to leave the sea and get my life into order.
But I will always look back on my year on the Spero with very fond memories.
speak soon, cheers, Ray.
Old 23rd October 2006, 22:23

The Spero

Hello there
Is anyone still in contact with Joe Cowan? He worked on the Spero until I think 1968? Many thanks
Vanessa

Last edited by Vanessa : 24th October 2006 at 14:47.
Old 23rd October 2006, 22:25

Hello there
Do you remember Joe Cowan well? He is my father.
Thanks & regards
Vanessa
Old 23rd October 2006, 22:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
Hello there
Do you remember Joe Cowan well? He is my father.
Thanks & regards
Vanessa
Hello Vanessa,

I believe there is a photo in the gallery that includes your father on board the Spero.
I remember Joe, he worked in one of the bars, one of the top barmen, if not the top.
I was on the ship for one year and enjoyed it.

There are other ex crew members of the Spero who post on here now and again, so don't be surprised if you get more responses.

Regards

Ray.
Old 23rd October 2006, 23:10

Thank you Ray, the photo is fabulous. I have some others that my Mum gave me, I can scan them and e mail them to you if you like? Some crew parties so you may be in them! I also have a very similar one to the one posted in the gallery.
Many thanks for the response.
Kindest regards
Vanessa
Old 7th January 2007, 16:15

would like to contact any old Wilson Line Cadets 1956-1964 Domino(1947) Sacramento(1945) Bassano, Cicero,Rollo Rinaldo Palermo, Vasco and others.
Old 16th June 2007, 16:24

Hi Redgreggie
I joined the Spero new in Birkenhead.I had to get my Lifeboat ticket before
I could join.31-aug-1966.I stayed on her untill Dec-1967.I seem to remember
a few names.Pete the feet,Allan Mulligan,Thompson.Dave Milner,Jim Smith,
George Empson.Capt,Stokes, Capt Briggs.I was AB.also Brian Chapman.I will
let you know If I can remember anymore,I know there was getting a football
team together but dont rember when it started.
Regards Artie
Old 28th June 2007, 19:12

Pictures

A selection of the ships you requested. I hope these meet with your approval.

Kind regards,

Baileybloke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Z-Cicero1954.jpg (63.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Z-Cicero1954-5.jpg (37.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Z-Silvio1947.jpg (35.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Z-Silvio1947-2.jpg (37.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Z-Silvio1947-4.jpg (14.7 KB, 37 views)
Old 29th June 2007, 15:15

cheers for the pictures baileybloke, Cicero is spot on but the Silvio I was referring to must have been a later one, if I remember correctly everything was aft and she was only small, very much like the Baltic Jet.

Regards

Ray.
Old 29th June 2007, 23:01

OK, try these for size. I believe this is your Silvio which was renamed City of Patras in 1974.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg City of Patras1967.jpg (73.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg City of Patras1967-2.jpg (51.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg City of Patras1967-3.jpg (79.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg City of Patras1967-4.jpg (68.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 30th June 2007, 18:06

Silvio

Thanks baileybloke, that's the Silvio I was on.

Regards

Ray.
Old 4th July 2008, 00:24

Spero - John Heelas shipmate

[Hi,

Just wondered if you new my Dad John Heelas he was the chief steward on the Spero then I think, he later died on the Salerno is Turkey in 1973 very sad loss.

Thanks (Alistair his Son)
Old 4th July 2008, 12:50

hello Alistairjbl,

Yes I remember your dad well, good bloke he was too,sorry to hear that he passed away, I am no longer in touch with people from the Hull area so don't get to know many things, most of my communication is through this site.

John was one of these people that, as long as you were doing your job he left you alone, as I say a good bloke.

Ray.
Old 26th October 2008, 15:06

Hello to the Wilson Fan Club. I am writing my life story, mainly for the family. Could anyone help with photographs of the 'Tasso' 'Livorno' and the 'Bassano' during the late fifties and early sixties. Thank you inantisipation. P.G.M.
Old 28th October 2008, 21:30

Hi just type in the names of the shipsat the top of the page and thay are on this site sam
Old 23rd September 2013, 08:32
Active: 1968 - 1983

spero

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgreggie View Post
hello Peter, nice to hear from you, where did you use to go on the Spero of your day?
The Spero I was on was a ro/ro ferry from Hull to Gothenburg, up till then i had only ever worked on tankers and cargo boats.I didn't like the Spero when I joined it, we lived so far down in the ship it was awful. I started off in the crew mess, serving them their meals and cleaning up, the job was ok. as I was working on my own, I then found out that there was a football team on the ship and that they were hoping to get into a league for merchant navy ships of any nationality and to play in the team I transferred to working in the passenger cafeteria.
It turned out to be a fantastic job, I was in the football team so life was brilliant.
I ended staying on the ship for 1 year and had a great time, I got the sack for continually turning to late, I can't blame them as I really was a pain, the social life on the ship was really good and it took it's toll.
All in all I really enjoyed my time on there.
I was also with the same shipping company with the Cicero and then the Silvio and enjoyed those ships, perhaps not so much the Cicero.
I worked in catering, mainly as a galley boy, it was a job I really enjoyed, I must have been one of the fastest spud peelers in the western world.......and loved it!
Again, it was nice to hear from you.
Ray
I was on spero and I got the sack for turning to late after a party to celerbrate my birthday cant remember the date