Patroclus - Ships Nostalgia
12:54

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Patroclus

Old 29th May 2008, 13:09

Patroclus

I was on the Petroculus in 71 as R/O, went with Cunard then. Didn't like doing the Pursers job and letting the Leckie do Radars.

Anyone know Bill Rutter from the Wirral area married to Betty as I recall he was the Chief R/O at that time.
Old 29th May 2008, 22:54

Didn't know Bill Rutter, but as an ex Bluey R/O, please get the name right! It was "Patroculus"!!!!!
Old 29th May 2008, 23:06
'Sock Puppet' account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorw View Post
Didn't know Bill Rutter, but as an ex Bluey R/O, please get the name right! It was "Patroculus"!!!!!
Trevorw,
Never was good enough to sail in BF but I think you should also get the name right. It was 'PATROCLUS'
Old 30th May 2008, 04:46
makko makko is offline   SN Supporter
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
Yes, Patroclus. My grandfather was on the one sunk in 1941 saving a liner from a U-Boot!
Rgds.
Dave R.
Old 30th May 2008, 14:29

Very Very sorry - memory isn't what it was !!!!!!
Old 30th May 2008, 14:46
'Sock Puppet' account

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ringrose View Post
Very Very sorry - memory isn't what it was !!!!!!
John,

Absolutely no need to apologise. Easily done! I think TrevorW might have something to add.
Old 30th May 2008, 16:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wilson View Post
John,

Absolutely no need to apologise. Easily done! I think TrevorW might have something to add.
Serves me right for being a smart ****! I never sailed on that partucular Bluey and memory can play some funny tricks!
Old 30th May 2008, 17:20
'Sock Puppet' account

Quote:
Serves me right for being a smart ****! I never sailed on that partucular Bluey and memory can play some funny tricks!
Trevor,
The only reason I spotted it was because I am presently plowing my way through Homer's 'Odyssey' for the unteenth time. Closest I ever got to BF is when reading such literature.

All the best

Dave
Old 30th May 2008, 23:07

My location
John,
Apologies not needed! We need the mods to change the title perhaps and prune the posts! How rude of me - Welcome aboard! My first vessel was Phrontis, alas it was also her last voyage for BF, sold in Singapore Roads! There are plenty of good photos and BF people here, I hope that you enjoy!
Regards,
Dave R.
Old 20th October 2008, 01:04

Quote:
you also should get the name right it was PATROCLUS
Old 20th October 2008, 07:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by makko View Post
Yes, Patroclus. My grandfather was on the one sunk in 1941 saving a liner from a U-Boot!
Rgds.
Dave R.
Dave,

Interesting about your grandfather. We had until a few years ago, another survivor living in Nottingham. He came to the local branch of the World Ship Society and gave a fascinating talk on his experiences.
His name was Tom Jobling (Lt./Cdr., ret'd)
Old 22nd October 2008, 14:15

Hello!
I've just joined Ships Nostalgia and saw the name Patroclus - I did 5 round the world trips on her as 4th Engineer back in late 69/early 71. Yes i do remember Bill Rutter as R/O. I'm a member of the BFA but have yet to get up to Liverpool to one of the monthly meetings. I'm taking early retirement at the end of this month so I might(?!) have some spare time on my hands soon. After Patroclus was sent to Keil for 6 months for final commissioning of Kowloon Bay - I did 2 trips on her then left the sea to get back to real life(???)
Hope to hear from some old shipmates at some time
Cheers
Edward
Old 22nd October 2008, 14:23
gadgee gadgee is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Department: Navigation
Active: 1966 - 1979

Changed to PATROCLUS
Old 26th November 2008, 08:39

Patroclus Clock

An obvious nautical flavour sets off this splendid marquetry wall panel clock taken from the Blue Funnel liner Patroclus. The style is typical of the period made popular by the Festival of Britain in 1951. The marquetry design using exotic woods set into satinwood was still popular, though a remnant of pre-war tastes. It was soon to be replaced in ships' public areas by formica laminates, plastics, mosaics and other cheap, modern, easy-to-clean surfaces.
Even removing the pointers of this lovely face could not stop the advance of time.
Succour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Patroclus wall Panelling.jpg (45.3 KB, 76 views)
Old 28th November 2008, 11:59

Didn't the P and H class have a huge cut glass mirror on the main stairwell depicting an Odyssey scene of the ship name?
Old 28th November 2008, 16:30
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
Didn't the P and H class have a huge cut glass mirror on the main stairwell depicting an Odyssey scene of the ship name?
I remember well seing the clock from Peleus at the Greenwich maritime museum some years back
Old 29th November 2008, 11:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURANGO View Post
I remember well seing the clock from Peleus at the Greenwich maritime museum some years back
I coasted Jason and the mirror depicted Jason and the Golden Fleece. The placement of the mirror was obviously intended to impress the passengers coming from the dining salon to the passenger accommodation.
Old 1st December 2008, 22:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURANGO View Post
Thanks for that information. 'Peleus' was my last China boat as AB (04/61). I'll take a look next time I am in the area.
Old 5th April 2009, 09:26

hi - i,m new to this site -just to say i sailed in patroclus 1961 -62 as junior engineer -great days.
Old 5th April 2009, 11:44

Hi,
Only one WR Rutter in Wirral phone directory.
cheers.
Old 17th April 2009, 17:41

odyssey scenes

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
remember them well i was 4th mate on the pyrrhus (52) and 3rd mate and 2nd mate on the perseus (56) and the passengers were impressed as were any visitors. certainly do not come like that anymore
Old 17th April 2009, 18:03

Before going deep sea, I coasted Peleus and Jason.
The cut glass mirror depicting Jason and the golden fleece comes to mind from one of the better known schoolday Homer stories.
Story, myth or fact?
Instead of panning for gold in ancient times another method was to lay the fleece of a sheep in the river bed and leave it for a lengthy period of time.
Flecks of gold washed by the current were caught up in the wool.
The fleece was then dried, burned in a fire and the melted gold collected from the ashes.
Old 17th April 2009, 20:12

Dave R
Regarding the last voyage of the Phrontis, I also did the last trip, spending a few weeks in Singapore roads with a skeleton crew before dry docking and handing over to the Greeks.
Colin S
Old 17th April 2009, 21:38

My location
Hi Colin,
I remember you well, 4/E! 3E was Jeff, 2E Ken. I was a little disappointed that the trip was so short but a good learning experience for a first trip eng/cadet. The other cadet was John Banks from Croxteth. My first experience of Bay of Biscay - I forget who told me on board but have never forgotten the two phases of seasickness! (Manhandling/repairing winch motors with the Lecky, T/C casing, Sulzer RD exhaust valves, collapsed evap, lots of auxy overhauls, flooded shaft tunnel and those bloody valve chests with the rotten diaphragms etc.)

Saludos from Mexico,
Rgds.
Dave R
Old 18th April 2009, 05:01

My location
[Instead of panning for gold in ancient times another method was to lay the fleece of a sheep in the river bed and leave it for a lengthy period of time.
Flecks of gold washed by the current were caught up in the wool.
The fleece was then dried, burned in a fire and the melted gold collected from the ashes.[/quote]

That was very interesting, once wondered about the golden fleece...If I remember right AH used to print the origin of the ships name on all menu's.....Al

Last edited by Trident : 18th April 2009 at 05:24.