Whale Ships - Ships Nostalgia
06:42

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Whale Ships

Old 16th June 2005, 20:38
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Whale Ships

Has any one ever sailed on a Whaling ship??. One time back in the 50s I was sent down by the Shipping Pool to one named the 'Northern Star or Cross" (I have forgotten the exact name,) its one I like to forget,she was berthed in Avonmouth and as I approached her gangway I got a whiff of this awful stench,almost made me upchuck, one of the dockers nearby said the smell was worst on board. I went back to the Pool and said they didn't need anyone. She had a large opening in the stern to pull the whales in to cut them up. I never did meet anyone that sailed on one.
Old 17th June 2005, 14:39
Super Moderator
Active: 1952 - 1965

On entrance to Durban they had a whale cut up slipway and you could smell the stench of that long before you arrived., The best known whale factory ship was the "Baleana" Today in Reykjavik (Iceland) they have 4 whalers in working order, but I was told they only catch whales for scientific purposes, just like the japs and norwegians do. How much scientific knowledge do they want. The Icelanders said the whales were eating too much cod but on opening them up no cod has ever been found
Old 17th June 2005, 15:36

Would that be a Salvesen whale factory ship? All had prefix names such as Southern Empress, Princess, Empress, Venturer,Collins, Opal, Harvester etc etc
Old 17th June 2005, 16:44
Super Moderator

United whalers ltd ,15715 tons, registered london and she was an up & downer.
Old 17th June 2005, 17:40
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
It could of been the Southern Cross my memory is good but that ship I forgot real fast but the smell remain in my nose to this day.
They also told me they had all kinds of free perks and lots of overtime if you signed on. No thank you.!!
Old 17th June 2005, 17:55
Super Moderator

There was a Southern Harvester, a whale factory ship of 15364 tons, registered in Leith and owned by South Georgia co ltd ( Chris Salveson co)
Old 18th June 2005, 04:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM
I sailed with an ex whaling master. He used to sober up enough to come to dinner on a Sunday. Sometimes he'd come into the radio room so drunk he was incoherent and when you couldn't understand a word he said, he'd fly into a rage and start punching and kicking the Oceanspan (Transmitter). I met him again later and dried out he was a totally different man, almost fatherly.

Those were the days, my how we laughed.
Dave,

Was he the one who liked to transit the Great Australian Bight via Macquarie and Hern Islands?

When I was little, there was a girl in my class who's father worked on whaling ships. One day she brought a stuffed alligator to school, that was enough for me... I couldn't wait to run away to sea. However, I'm far to environmentally friendly to have sailed on a whaling ship, although I do remember seeing and smelling the slipway at Durban, and the nearest I got to a stuffed alligator was removing the used bandages from the stuffed camels in Suez!

John T.
Old 18th June 2005, 09:52
Scaley Back

Crew Change Day

Two photos taken in the South Atlantic during the 1950's. The catcher "Setter II" and crew change day. Two Master Mariners from my village worked down there, one in the 1930's and the other when these photos were taken. Most of the photo collection would be deemed Politically Incorrect in today's climate, but historically very important, Regards Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg setter2.jpg (27.8 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg crew_change.jpg (55.7 KB, 263 views)
Old 13th September 2005, 17:04

My location
[b]have A Read Of The Book, (shetland Whalers Remembered)and You Will Find Out All About Whaling Down In The Antarctic
Old 13th September 2005, 22:30
saltie

To RHIW.com Would the other Master have been Captain Sam Williams ,I was with him for almost a year
Old 13th September 2005, 22:53
Village idiot
Active: 1964 - 1997

My location
I have a photo of the Juan Peron's flensing deck I'll dig out and post. It is an interesting photograph.
Old 14th September 2005, 11:57

Served as a Messboy, Southern Harvester ( Salvesen of Leith ) 1953/54. First trip to sea. £7. 17.6p per month, 10p. per hour overtime. 12 hr. shifts, day /night. As we were at sea it was O.K. for those under 18yrs. to work a nightshift. I only did the one trip, but would do it again as I went away a wee boy and came back as a man. It was tough but, you soon figured out that Mummy wasn't there to hold your hand when things got tough. I was cheeky to a deckhand, I'll never forget him, he just turned round and flattened me. I wasn't cheeky again. I met him many years later and asked him if he remembered. He said no, but I must have deserved it ! I bought him a drink anyway.

There is a Whaler's club in Leith if anyone is interested.

Fred.
Old 20th September 2005, 06:21

Thumbs up Whale Ship Pic

There's a grand Pic of Salvesen's Southern Harvester and Southern Venturer,
moored at the Mill Dam. You can find this at the 'Tyne Tugs' website under the link 'Ships on the Tyne' at the page bottom, along with other interesting Tyne stuff. Thanks for the welcome to Ships Nostalgia.

Last edited by Succour : 20th September 2005 at 07:39. Reason: Spelling :Ships on (not) Ships of
Old 6th October 2005, 12:13
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Ahoy,
Here another painting from Henk, it's a whale catcher, rebuilt in 1951 at the wharf "de Hoog" at that moment in old Delfshaven, where Henk has worked as a docker from the beginning till the delivery, was built as corvette, and layed up for a long time.Here his expression:
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/328...veer3fw.th.jpg
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b
Old 6th October 2005, 16:42

Hi Shipmates,
Remember when the Whale factory ships used to tie up at Gladstone Dock in Liverpool. I think the whole crew used to be in the pub at the dock gate,and I think "Fredkinghorn" the deckhand who filled you in was the same one that started all the fights in that pub?
Neil Mac.
Old 6th October 2005, 19:36

I once came stern of the whale factory ship Baleadon i think she was called,I am not to sure of the the name the stink was to much i don,t think anyone was reley interested she was in scotland i think Bob
Old 6th October 2005, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil maclachlan
Hi Shipmates,
Remember when the Whale factory ships used to tie up at Gladstone Dock in Liverpool. I think the whole crew used to be in the pub at the dock gate,and I think "Fredkinghorn" the deckhand who filled you in was the same one that started all the fights in that pub?

Neil Mac.
I heard that the crew used to have a 'Whale of a time' in that pub!!
Old 6th October 2005, 22:37
Super Moderator

Lets hope they stay in the pub because the way things are going, these wonderful creatures will soon be extinct.
Old 14th October 2005, 22:49

The whalers even came to Manchester the smell was even worse than the canal in the summer.
Old 15th October 2005, 01:12
Super Moderator
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
The Bluff In Durban

I lived in Durban as a kid and fished with my Dad where the whalers used to tie up for Grunter . The fleet was tied up at the far end of the Grain Elevator wharf. As a kid I was fasinated bye the harppon station forward and the walkway from the acommodation to the gun .My Dad worked for the Natal Mercury and one of his pals was a well know shark fisherman. He caught a world record shark from the bluff and it was displayed in a tent along the beachfront ( 1 shilling entrance fee ! ) We got in free as Dad has his press card . I still remember touching the beast ; its skin was like sandpaper .
We would visit the Bluff from time to to time to watch the whales being hauled up the slip . Sharks would attack the carcasses and take huge chunks of blubber from them . I was about 9 years old and much impressed.
My brother Cameron was at Riversdale Tech Liverpool with the son of Salvesons but they have lost touch.
I now go and watch whales in the Bay of Fundy for sport .
Changed Days ???

Regards Derek Roger
Old 17th October 2005, 02:20

Hi Derek,
When you mentioned The Bluff it brought back memories to me,I sailed on The Stanvac South Africa and we were the Durban refinery ship. If my memory serves me right there was a coaling wharf there and right across the harbour was the South African Naval Station. I remember seeing a Royal Navy cruiser coming in on a visit,the Marine Band was playing on the foredeck and all the lads were lined up wearing their whites,what a sight and feeling of pride we all felt.
Nostalgia,
Neil Mac.
Old 17th October 2005, 11:49
Super Moderator

You are lucky there are still whales to watch for sport Deryk. If the greedy short sighted morons have their way hunting them to extinction, there will be nothing for future generations to enjoy OR make future money out of?!. David
Old 19th January 2006, 13:07

Go to either the Greenpeace or sea shepperd sities and you will find pictures of Japan's so called research fleet in the southern ocean. You will also see on the Greenpeace site the results of the Artic Sunrise vs Nissin Maru, the Artic Sunrise come off second best.
Old 19th January 2006, 19:07
Jeffers Jeffers is offline   SN Supporter
Ship's Minstrel
Department: Deck
Active: 1968 - 1970

My location
I remember as a boy growing up on the Tyne seeing the whaling ships arriving in the river.
It must have been the Southern Harvester and the Southern Venturer. It seemed to be something that happened every summer. I remember it being sunny anyway!

Jeff
Old 19th January 2006, 20:23

As the Japs are so good at making artifical things why do they have to kill whales, Sorry this site is not for this type of rant.

Paul