Ellermans colours - Ships Nostalgia
03:29

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ellermans colours

Old 22nd June 2008, 10:34

Ellermans colours

Right,all you Ellerman Mates out there.What was the correct Storry Smithson colour you ordered for the 'buff' on the funnel and the 'grey' on the hull.
I seem to remember a 'stone' and a 'light Admiralty grey',I think the grey we used in the ER was a different grey . Do you also remember when the boot topping changed from scarlet to red.
Dave
Old 22nd July 2008, 13:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALLLINE View Post
Right,all you Ellerman Mates out there.What was the correct Storry Smithson colour you ordered for the 'buff' on the funnel and the 'grey' on the hull.
I seem to remember a 'stone' and a 'light Admiralty grey',I think the grey we used in the ER was a different grey . Do you also remember when the boot topping changed from scarlet to red.
Dave
Here's a yarn. I was still at school and it must have been about 1958/9. My dad was a purser/chief Steward with Ellermans and was 'working by' in the RA or WI docks. We lived in Windsor so he often used to come home. One day he said, 'here son, why don't you paint the front door'. He then handed me a very large tin of grey paint that was clearly marked "Paris Grey". I finally got the job done and didn't think any more about it until several years later when I too joined the company as a writer and I have to say that our front door looked awfully similar to the hull of the City of Liverpool. I cannot swear that the paint came from the ship but........

El_Scripto
Old 22nd July 2008, 14:14

Hello EL_Scripto,
It could well be a hull colour,I always thought it was light admiralty gray.I'll get the right colours one day.I've found a letterhead with the Ellerman 'E' in the funnel colours,which I should be able to match the 'Buff' to.
I sailed with a writer who lived in London,but I can't remember where abouts in London.It would have been in the late 60's early 70's,on one of the twelves.All I can rememeber is that he had a Lotis 7,wasn't you was It ?.
Dave
Old 23rd July 2008, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALLLINE View Post
Hello EL_Scripto,
It could well be a hull colour,I always thought it was light admiralty gray.I'll get the right colours one day.I've found a letterhead with the Ellerman 'E' in the funnel colours,which I should be able to match the 'Buff' to.
I sailed with a writer who lived in London,but I can't remember where abouts in London.It would have been in the late 60's early 70's,on one of the twelves.All I can rememeber is that he had a Lotis 7,wasn't you was It ?.
Dave
Nope it was not me, but I knew a guy who had a Lotus 7 and even had a very uncomfortable ride in it. His name was Nick Forster and he was on the 'York' with me. I will try and attach a pic. Don't know who's cap he borrowed.

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nick forster.jpg (77.1 KB, 44 views)
Old 25th July 2008, 11:31

Pete,yes that's the fella.I remembered he was called Nick about an hour after I'd answered your post. I too was in that Lotus 7, couldn't get used to looking up at the wheels of London buses!.What happened to him?, I've looked through a few Ashore and Afloats disposition lists from 1969 to 1974, but can't find his name on any of the ships. What year were you on the York together?.
I was on one of the steamers when the rumors went round about the big 4 being sold,which was denied by the company,they still had a future, next thing they're all laid up on the Tyne!.
Dave
Old 26th July 2008, 22:02

Hi Dave,
Must have been during 67. I joined the York in January of that year after three years on the Chicago.
Pete
Old 29th July 2008, 11:21

Hi Pete,
I just missed going on the Chigago about that time.I was due to join as a junior for the Bornio run but got sent to the Coventry for a gulf run instead. 8 months later we arrived back in the UK. We were heading back light ship and it was when the seamans strike was about to start, so when we were passing Gib if it was off we were coming home if it was on we were going on the Canada/India run. The 4th had only been married about 2 weeks so left the sea for good after that trip. We still keep in touch and yes he's still married.
Dave