Royal Navy Uniforms - Ships Nostalgia
11:12

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Royal Navy Uniforms

Old 14th July 2008, 11:54

Royal Navy Uniforms

Maybe a bit off topic, but does anyone know which company makes uniforms for royal navy (specifically officers) apart from gieves, i.e standard issue gear.
Belive they also supply the cruise lines and merchants?
Old 20th July 2008, 10:27

In the 50/70s the Navy tailors such as Grieves and Unifits of Portsmouth made uniforms to measure, we would make a monthly payment thro` our pay office and when in port go along and order what gear we required. Ex navy lads , do you remember the blue serge outfit where some of your oppos had to pull it off over your head as it was too tight for you to pull it off youself, then I think they got the idea from the Canadian navy, their uniform had zip openers so we instructed the tailor to fit ours with zips, a lot easier to remove.
Now that we have women wearing the same uniform can anyone answer me on the question of the bell bottoms--do they still have the two button flap for undoing when you visit the heads(toilets) or has that change also?
Old 20th July 2008, 11:45

My location
Greetings,

Try Joe Feneck, Union Street, Plymouth. There is also Jack Blair just up from the Victory Gate at Plymouth. Also there a company called Miller, Rayner, Danko and I think they are in Hull.

Regarding the two button flap it would be interesting to know, purely from a position of prurience, what they have done to bell bottoms for the girlies. Inbound expected and well deserved.

Aye

Pat Thompson

You can't get enough photos of "O'Boats"
Old 20th July 2008, 12:13

My location
Hi Ceylon
When I joined in 1960 the two button flap had gone and the trousers simply had a normal zip fly. The tunics were the same as well and had a zip fitted so yanking over your head was thankfully a thing of the past!

Re Pat's posting Miller Rayner are still very active in supplying uniform and are based in Southampton. I think the firm in Hull is or was Bass.

Regards
Peter
Old 20th July 2008, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullad1984 View Post
Maybe a bit off topic, but does anyone know which company makes uniforms for royal navy (specifically officers) apart from gieves, i.e standard issue gear.
Belive they also supply the cruise lines and merchants?
Bernards naval tailors had some big naval uniform contracts in the fifties and sixties
Old 20th July 2008, 12:42

Bernards of Harwich were one time the biggest Naval tailors before the second world war. The main factory being at Harwich. I remember the biggest raid we had at Harwich by German bombers when Bernards was hit and set on fire,some serge was salvaged and most of the kids, myself included were running around in blue serge trousers. Lord Haw Haw gave out his usual propaganda stating that a major munitions factory had been hit thus hampering the British war effort. Bernards had shops all over the world wherever there was a naval base.
I am not sure when they actually went out of business, maybe Peter 4447 can advise us.

Last edited by ROBERT HENDERSON : 20th July 2008 at 12:44. Reason: typo error
Old 20th July 2008, 14:42

My location
According to the web the last 46 staff employed by Bernards at Harwich were made redundant as recently as July 2007.
It appears the company could no longer compete with the cheap imports, so even our Armed Forces now wear uniforms made abroad!
Peter4447
Old 20th July 2008, 15:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter4447 View Post
According to the web the last 46 staff employed by Bernards at Harwich were made redundant as recently as July 2007.
It appears the company could no longer compete with the cheap imports, so even our Armed Forces now wear uniforms made abroad!
Peter4447

Peter4447,.....i have just read out your posting to my wife ,who in the 50,s was in the cloths retail part of a big store in LIVERPOOL. before i meet her.
And she said "for the armed forces ,there uniforms should be made here for a life time ,what a sad state of affairs.

yorky jim
Old 20th July 2008, 19:23

Don't you miss some old dear touching your collar!!

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 20th July 2008, 22:02

My location
I think it is Turner Virr and Co Ltd that have the contract to supply to the RN.