Ships Nostalgia banner

Grey Warrior

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  celsis 
#1 ·
The thread about the Cowie brothers got me thinking....

Can anybody remember who was the skipper on the Warrior's maiden voyage? He was a chubby wee guy who had yarns following him everywhere....Somebody said he broke his arm on the Valla?

#3 ·
That's the man! Is he still around?

#4 ·
Celsis.
Sorry don,t know if he is around or not.I remember a few year ago a couple of retired Ben Line masters were caretakers for a place down the Kirkgate in Leith.I think it was some sort of Masters Mariners club.If you are in the area someone there may be able to help you.Remember Kirkgate.not Constitution Street. Thats the other club. Nobles or Port O Leith

#6 ·
Warrior Maiden Voyage

Hi lads,
I remember the voyage fairly well, being the only junior engineer for a while.
Murray Cowie was the chief engineer, Peter Lurtsima(!) was the day work second. I'm pretty sure "Moby Dick" was the old man. I'll get round to the other guy's names, well, it was 33 years ago!!
Alistair Napier was 2nd mate, the 3rd mate was a guy called Robbie ?

#7 ·
Hi lads,
I remember the voyage fairly well, being the only junior engineer for a while.
Murray Cowie was the chief engineer, Peter Lurtsima(!) was the day work second. I'm pretty sure "Moby Dick" was the old man. I'll get round to the other guy's names, well, it was 33 years ago!!
Alistair Napier was 2nd mate, the 3rd mate was a guy called Robbie ?
Didn't we have an AB who threw a wobbler and had to be raken ashore in Brazil? Jim somebody or other?

#9 ·
I remember you Ricky. Your dad and mine worked together in BT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.