Models of Coasters - Ships Nostalgia
15:36

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Models of Coasters

Old 11th August 2008, 15:11

Models of Coasters

Has anybody got any information about models of coasters, in particular models of the beautiful Dutch/German/Danish coasters of the 1950's and 60's?
I have never seen any kts of this type of ship for sale nor hulls or plans. They are very popular ships with enthusiasts and I'm surprised that models of them are so rare. Can anybody help?
Old 11th August 2008, 19:02

hi, Alan,
a number of years ago Billing Boats made a kit of such a coaster called Mercantic.
They no longer produce this kit, but some years ago I built a hull and superstructure of one and used them as plugs for grp moulds.
these were passed on to Metcalf Mouldings, who in turn sold them, with many other moulds on to Models by Design in Devon.
So if you fancy building from hull and superstructure there is at least one 1950's coaster available. neil.
Old 11th August 2008, 19:24

There is tons of info about coasters in various books. Steam Coasters by C V Waine for instance, also several other of his books are chock full of plans. Here are a couple I built from plans in his books, GLEN HELEN & ASHFIELD.
Can't help you with kits though, far too difficult for me & far too limited in their scope. Much easier & cheaper to scratchbuild.
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glen Helen (Medium).JPG (63.1 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Ashfield (Medium).JPG (48.0 KB, 126 views)

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 12th August 2008, 20:01

Wasn't there a plastic kit of a Shell coastal tanker? About a year ago I saw a faded box in a model shop, with what looked like Russian text. Try typing Shell Welder in Google.
Old 13th August 2008, 11:06
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1963 - 1974

The magazine "Marine Modelling International" publish plans for the Dutch coaster "Frans-W" in 1:48 scale as well as plans for Cory's "Corbeach" of 1957 and Kelly's "Ballyloran" of 1958. Their website can be found at: www.traplet.com
Some coaster plans from the old "Model Maker" magazine and past and current "Model Boats" magazine can be found at www.myhobbystore.com

Hope this is of help,
Chris
Old 14th September 2008, 22:17

As far as plastic construction kits go Revell make a kit of the Hawian Pilot and Shell Welder Tanker in about 400th scale 8-12 inches in length approx and these should be available at the larger hobby retailers or from Hannants or great models webstore online
Old 19th July 2009, 14:11

My location
You could always go the scratch built root, my 7ft -4 inch SS NORRIX
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nor08.jpg (244.7 KB, 106 views)
Old 19th July 2009, 15:08

Hi Binus,

That is a really superb model. Don't recall ever seeing better. Bit too big for me to build that sort of thing, but I think it must be great fun to sail. Assume it is R/C.

Unfortunately, one rarely comes across anyone who scratchbuilds model ships of any size these days! Most people will just say (or think) "I could never do anything like that, and that is the end of it!" My problem with large building is simply space, but if I won the lottery, I would get a big workshop and build a big R/C model.
Best wishes
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 19th July 2009, 15:27

My location
Hi Bob, You also build some lovely models, to small for my old fingers and eye,s.
Old 19th July 2009, 15:35

I changed over to miniatures for convenience when I was at sea, but never got round to bigger ones after I left. Just turned 65 now, but I feel that building miniatures helps fingers and eyes keep supple.
Here is sailing coaster BROOKLANDS.
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9 (Medium).JPG (38.7 KB, 44 views)

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 30th September 2009, 15:48

Mercantic body plan

Hi!
Iím a naval architect student at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm. I'm really intrested in getting a bodyplan of the mercantic hull. The reason why I'm interested is that one of the ships in that series is still running under Swedish flag with the name Polfors (ex Mercandan http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/mercandan_1967.htm ) as an educational platform for seamen. I want to use the ship to verify a manoeuvring simulation script that I have been programming and an important part in that would be to have the body plan. Unfortunately has not the owner of today any body plan only general arrangement drawings, scantlings and shell extrusions. So if you have the body plan and would be willing to help me I would really appreciate it.

regards Torvald
Old 7th October 2009, 13:27

Coaster

Hi Torvald. I was just doing some research on a model coaster I have just aquired. It was a wooden kit model of the sister ship you are talking about and requires restoration! It was radio controled. I will be Ebaying in next week. I could send you some pictures for your study? Thank you.
Jetstar.
Old 7th October 2009, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon boy View Post
As far as plastic construction kits go Revell make a kit of the Hawian Pilot and Shell Welder Tanker in about 400th scale 8-12 inches in length approx and these should be available at the larger hobby retailers or from Hannants or great models webstore online
I was interested in obtaining the kit of Shell Welder abt 4 yrs ago and that the maritime museum in Rotterdam had some. When there I asked they had none left and that the patterns had been transferred to some Russian outfit. Dead end!! Not on Hannants list any longer. But would still like to obtain one, if any exist.
Old 14th October 2009, 18:35

Hi Jetstar!

If you could send me the pictures I would really apreciate it! My e-mail is torvald(at)kth.se

Thank you!
Torvald