A new (slightly used!) tug for the fleet! - Ships Nostalgia
16:58

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

A new (slightly used!) tug for the fleet!

Old 17th August 2008, 12:42
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1974 - 1994

My location
A new (slightly used!) tug for the fleet!

Just thought I'd make an announcement here. I have just purchased a slightly worse for wear 'Crosby' tug kit. It's a bit old but a sailer, and has some damage to the hull which doesn't look too bad and according to her current owner:

The damage to the hull is not severe (it looks worse in the photo); the hull is made from wood and there is a small piece (about 1.5cm) of the surface that has cracked and come away slightly. I think this piece just needs cutting off carefully with a craft knife (it's Balsa wood) and then the area where this piece was needs some filler (plastic wood maybe); this needs sanding and painting, finishing off with a bit of varnish. This is just damage to the surface of the hull; the "hole" does not go through the hull

Job lot with RC gear, all fittings (etc) was 95. Delivery end of month when he gets back from France. I think Meechingman has the same kit, although this one is the old PBM kit - hence wooden hull - at 24" LOA. Anyone with experience of this kit is welcome to add to the thread and let me know the benefit of their experience. I'd appreciate it.

Plans? Well, yes - I can't leave them alone! I would hope to do what Meeching did to his - his is called 'Tarring' I think - and rename this one 'Afon Cybi' in Holyhead Towing colours adding some updated equipment to her such as HIAB, take the current lifeboat away and refit a Gemini and maybe replace the tow hooks with a winch.......

....but we'll see! Looks like I now have two winter projects to keep me on the go!

Jonty