Leith Nautical college 74 intake - Ships Nostalgia
20:37

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Leith Nautical college 74 intake

Old 24th August 2008, 20:33

Leith Nautical college 74 intake

Hi , a new member here who arrived as a very green engineer cadet at the Seamans mission on Tower place on 7th September 74 to start at the college on the following day.

Must say it was the start of the probably the best 2 years of my life , met some great lads , Mike Burnett , Al Blamford , Ian Hood , Andy Fairclough , Al Stewart ( passed away unfortunately) , Neil Campbell (Chorley) , Doug Humphries , Keith Holliday ,Neil West ,Mike Patterson , plus many many others.

Also some great lecturers , Messrs Purcell , Hole , Atherton , Campbell come to mind.
Our second year we stayed in the Lochewe hotel up in Royal Terrace , closer to the bright lights of Edinburgh and again brilliant times were had by all. Sometimes wonder how we ever passed any exams!

I could go on and on but interested to hear from anyone who remembers the College in 1974 and stayed in the Mission , can you believe it is the Malmaison hotel now...? Al Blamford and I shared a room on the top floor in the right hand side "turrett" when you look at the front of the hotel , probably costs 400 / night there now and none of Frank the cooks lovely egg sandwiches in the morning either.

Best of luck to all ,....Doug
Old 6th March 2013, 17:02
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - 1985

Hi Dougie,

I just posted a similar request and your popped up..... yours is a lot more detailed. Did you get any replies from it.

Regards, Ian Hood
Old 9th March 2013, 09:28

Hi Ian and others, I fronted up to Captain Fisher in 1956 and said I waned to be an engineer. He told me to go to the Dolpnin because,'we don't do engineering here.'Four months later I was peeling spuds on a tramp steamship heading for Philadelphia. No worries mate but can you explain. Regards from sunny NZ Ronnie.