Ex NESWT BRIDLINGTON - Ships Nostalgia
11:13

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ex NESWT BRIDLINGTON

Old 25th August 2008, 14:28

Ex NESWT BRIDLINGTON

HI there you guys ,

There must be still a few ex Neswt guys knocking about? Have always been curious as to what's been happening to all my old mates from those wonderful days back in the early to mid 60's.
I know there's a forum somewhere about NESWT in a Daimler cars forum, but though I'd start a thread here as an alternative.
So if any of you guys were around 1960 to 1965, would be great to hear who and what you're doing now.
Of course any photos from that era would be an added bouns.

Standing By
Offshore Eddie
Old 25th August 2008, 17:51
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
Eddie,

there are a few of us NESWT chaps on this site. Myself and Trotterdotpom to name but two. Some others whom I cannot recall. I will send you a PM and advise you about the NESWT Association.

Hawkey01
Old 26th August 2008, 06:49

I had a copy of the NESWT brochure circa '53 which had a picture of P&O's Strathmore/GYMS radio room. I also had a copy of South Shields College brochure showing the radio room. Did Bridlington not insist on wearing some sort of a uniform?
Old 26th August 2008, 11:17

In 1964/65 we wore a blazer with an MN badge on the pocket. The NESWT website shows photos from WW2, when the school had shifted to Otley, near Leeds, with everyone in square rig uniforms.

For anyone interested the NESWT website is at: http://daimler.co.uk/neswt/

John T.
Old 27th August 2008, 08:55

NESWT Uniform

Yep - I think initailly Navy blue blazers, with grey trousers were the rig of the day, but eventually the old jeans and casual gear came out as the terms progressed. Of couse it was during the swinging 60's - Stones - Beatles - All night dances at the Brid Spa. Guess we'll never see the likes of that again.

Cheers mateys
Offshore Eddie
Old 4th September 2008, 13:12

Hi, what about those of us prior to the dates mentioned? Only joking Eddie.
The Associations has quite a few members and publishes an excellent newsletter. Good luck
Old 12th December 2010, 21:40
Active: 1966 - 1986

and Sallys for Radio School cheapo coffee !
Old 13th December 2010, 15:09
Super Moderator

My location
Sparks69,

she did a mean sausage roll as well. No smut please!
Can you remember the name of the Newsagent/Ciggy shop next door or very near. Could buy one cig if desperate. 5 Park Drive - good lung cleaners.

Reference the Association - it is no longer. I posted a thread in July in, - Shipmates Remembered - that Brian Priestley - who ran the Association had past away. Unfortunately no one to take up the task. Most were from and earlier era than me. I still have not found too many of my ex students friends/colleagues. They must be lurking around somewhere.

Hawkey01
Old 7th January 2011, 08:30
Active: 1965 - 1967

NESWT Shaftesbury Ave Bridlington 1962-64

I have a photo of five students (inc me) outside NESWT in 1963.
Would like to catch up with anyone who was there. Great times in Brid. Acker Bilk at the Spa all night with bacon sandwiches and champagne for breakfast.
Learnt morse code the hard way but never forgot it. closed the 'college' down for two weeks after everyone went down with 'scrot rot'. The notes on transistors ran to a page. Three leg devices that would never replace valves!!! It was a great education.
Great times!!
Michael Collinson
Old 7th January 2011, 11:46
Super Moderator

My location
Michael,

Ref the photo I will PM you.

I remember the close down well - it was because of an outbreak of Ringworm. All sent home and off to respective Dr's. Seem to remember having some dire stuff to put in the bath. Soon killed anything off.
The member who started this thread is Eddie Moore, I would think he had left before you arrived. I have not spoken to him for a while but I am sure he will see this.

Neville - Hawkey01

Last edited by hawkey01 : 7th January 2011 at 11:56.
Old 8th January 2011, 02:39

Ringworm at NESWT

Neville, You must have been at NESWT at the same time as I was there. I was 'Head Boy' and put in 'Coventry' for some action which I have now forgotten. We had one bath a week and cleaned the bath with Vim.

The three 'young likely lads'in the back were from Leeds. I don't have a photo of Chris Wells, but he was tall, wore glasses and his father was a doctor in Bournemouth. I am the 'hard'looking guy in the front. I had an Austin A30. Some one bought an Austin Atlantic which had a back window that wound down and we would sit on the boot with our legs through the rear window inside. I remember the village pubs that we would visit in the 'Atlantic' and drink Cameron's Old Stranton and eat pickled eggs from a jar on the bar. Fond memories.

Best Regards, Michael
Old 8th January 2011, 03:48

Michael, you must have left as I started, I think. I was there when the place shut down. Started '64. I don't remember having a "Head Boy".

I remember the weekly bath. I also remember some of us cleaning it with Vim! There was a sign on the wall near the toilet roll holder with a picture of nasties with spikey noses - underneath it said: "Germs get through toilet paper". Someone had changed it to "Germans get through toilet paper". Why do I remember that?

I remember Chris Wells - he also had a big bushy beard and wore corduroy trousers. Unfortunately, I was too young for all that drinking caper.

You mention three "lads from Leeds" - could one of them be Mitch Pass? Have you posted the photo somewhere?

John T.
Old 8th January 2011, 14:50
Super Moderator

My location
Ah! Chris Wells - indeed I remember him. Bim was his nick name.

The Austin Atlantic A90 belonged to TAFF from north Wales - not too obvious by his name!
I used to drive it around a lot of the time as I was lucky enough to have a good grant by then and could cover the petrol costs.
Hope you received my PM and look forward to receiving a copy of the photo. I will send on to JT as well.

JT,

we had what was called Duty Officer or something similar. I ended up doing this job and lived in the small room on the right as you entered the front door. Had to make sure all were back present and correct and lock up the place at night. Also make sure any late pass persons were back in time.

Neville

Last edited by hawkey01 : 8th January 2011 at 14:55.
Old 9th January 2011, 00:11

Photos of NESWT 1963

Hi John, fond memories. I have posted some photos in the Gallery under Marine Radio. Maybe someone will put names to faces. I'm the 'hard nut' in front. Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg British Venture 1965.jpg (83.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 9th January 2011, 02:28

NESWT photo

Hi Eddie, I have posted a photo of four of the past students at NESWT taken around 1963 in the Marine Radio Gallery. Do you recognise anyone??
Michael
Old 9th January 2011, 14:06
Super Moderator

My location
Michael,

as I have advise I have moved those photos to the Members Faces gallery as the other was not the home for them.
Certainly know you now having seen the photos.
Neville.