Crossed Flags - Ships Nostalgia
16:53

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Crossed Flags

Old 26th August 2008, 12:50

Crossed Flags

Hi All
Anyone remember this publication. I have an intact 1971 May edition. Would be happy to pass on the current crew list of any ship featured therein. The memories. All NZSC ships in service at that time.

Rgds Bob
Old 27th August 2008, 17:40

Hi Bob yes that would be good to see. I was on her from 6/10/70 till 3/8/71. She was a fine job. Regards Eddie Smith
Old 27th August 2008, 23:15
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1964 - 1974

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bush View Post
Hi All
Anyone remember this publication. I have an intact 1971 May edition. Would be happy to pass on the current crew list of any ship featured therein. The memories. All NZSC ships in service at that time.

Rgds Bob
Hi Bob,

I've also got a copy of the 1971 Crossed Flags.
It's got a few oily fingerprints on the cover as it was given to me by an ex NZSC refrigeration engineer who is also a member of the Chartered club that I'm General Manager of in Howick, Auckland. (small world)
I wrote the article featured on page 64 regarding my experiences when trapped in the Suez Canal in '67.
I was also in the Westmorland when the presentation was made to Chief Engineer Frank Kent on his retirement, which is featured on page 67.
Those crew lists sure come in handy for recalling the names of the guys I sailed with during my time with NZSC.

Regards Phil
Old 28th August 2008, 00:18
Active: 1967 - 1982

I have all of the issues between May 1966 (No.3) up to the last one, Sept 1971 (No. 14). Crossed Flags was known as one of the finest of shipping company house journals and and the P&O 'Wavelength' magazine was a piss poor substitute. The May 1966 edition lists 35 ships and this was down to 20 ships by May 1971. All editions have crew lists except the final Sept 71 edition. (but only officers listed before the Nov 1969 edition).
Brian
Old 28th August 2008, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward D Smith View Post
Hi Bob yes that would be good to see. I was on her from 6/10/70 till 3/8/71. She was a fine job. Regards Eddie Smith
The vessel was OTAIO
Old 28th August 2008, 23:05
Department: Engineering

My location
Hi brian, yes I have most of them too, from the first issue. Think i have lost #9 in my travels.
Old 29th August 2008, 06:52
Organisation: Royal Fleet Auxilary
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 2002

All,
As an Apprentice in Hain's in the 50s the ships were frequently on charter to Stricks and were required to fly the Strick's Houseflag.
The Houselag had to be flown on a "striker" I suppose to keep the flag clear of all rigging, did anyone else encounter this practice?
We were not infrequently reminded to ensure that the Strick's Houseflag was flown correctly and was clean, after charter the Houseflag was duly returned to the nearest Strick's ship.
Yours aye,
Slick

Last edited by slick : 30th August 2008 at 02:39. Reason: missing word
Old 29th August 2008, 08:59

Hi

Like Phil, I also wrote an article in "Crossed Flags" No 6 November 67'
"The rescue of the Tiki 111" on page 71. We were on our maiden voyage.
I also took some cine-film of the rescue, which was shown on TV in New Zealand, Oz, USA and the UK. The film of the rescue is on the end of my Blue Star Line dvd as an extra if you would like to see it.

Cheers

Chris

Last edited by Christopherobin : 29th August 2008 at 09:08.
Old 28th November 2008, 11:23

I too was on Tongariro on the maiden voyage when we picked up two men and a boy off a small boat. They had stolen the boat from Brisbane and ended up fighting with one man stabbing the other after they ran out of food.
At the time i was a engineer apprentice.
howard cox
Old 29th November 2008, 11:28

And I was also on the Tongariro's maiden voyage as Junior Third Mate. Harry Hynard (the mate) is picured in the Crossed Flags as part of the rescue. He was a fine seaman.

Alex. Chisholm.