Shipping Colours research - Ships Nostalgia
14:51

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Shipping Colours research

Old 21st October 2008, 14:35

Shipping Colours research

Hi there...we're researching which company had a white band near the top of the funnel with a blue S between it - pictures in the SN Gallery show SS Robin aka SS Maria with these colours on her funnel. So far we've drawn a blank as to whether this was during her time under Spanish shipping owners from 1900-1974 or prior in the early 1890's when she was registered in Glasgow under Robin Steamship Company or from her launch in 1890.

If anyone could shed any light we'd be really interested to hear from them.....thanks, N
Old 10th June 2009, 22:59

Would it be Saguenay Terminals Ltd.? Black funnel with white band with blue S and their name in white on the blue hull . Canada. This is from my 1953 book on house flags.
John
Old 6th August 2009, 14:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ward View Post
Would it be Saguenay Terminals Ltd.? Black funnel with white band with blue S and their name in white on the blue hull . Canada. This is from my 1953 book on house flags.
John
Hi John,
Thanks for looking it up - no Canadian history I'm afraid - the SS Robin was a short-sea trader working UK coastal ports and Northern Europe from 1890-1900 thereafter sold to Spanish shipping owners with Bilbao-Santander routes.
Appreciate the effort though....thanks,
Old 6th August 2009, 16:41

My location
Hi Nish
I have checked Lloyds Flags and Funnels for 1912 without success. Can you just confirm as to whether the blue S is actually on the white band or is it between the white band and the top of the funnel. There are a couple of smaller fleets with a blue S on the white band but both appear to have been based in Whitby, Yorkshire.
May I also ask the purpose of your research as I may be able to put you in touch with somebody who could help.
Regards
Peter4447
Old 18th August 2009, 15:49

shipping colours

Hi Peter,

Thanks so much - would be very grateful for help. Purpose is that the SS Robin Trust is currently restoring SS Robin and looking to be as accurate as we can about her colours. We know from her archive that she passed hands from London to Glasgow mid 1890's before being sold overseas early 1900.

Since I last posted we have discovered Eduardo de la Sota, Bilbao shipping owner and last/latest of the Basque owners (until 1970's) had a similar house style - black funnel with white band and blue stripe - but no 'S', however it would make sense given the name Sota.

Would be interested in anyone who may be able to help us understand SS Robin's early funnel colours between her launch in 1890 until 1900 when she was still a British coaster.

cheers, N