Ships Nostalgia banner

Nautical Lecturers we knew

9K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  CaptRobert 
#1 ·
I am thinking now of Liverpool: Ozzie Stewart, Frank Main, Chalkie (First Mates) and the younger ones Alan Bole, Len Holder, Terry Beggs.
Any memories?

#5 ·
Wasn't Terry Beggs Captain Superintendent of the Indefatigable shore scholl at Llanfairpwll, Anglesey. I think I am right ! If so, he and Capt Parry Hughes published a wonderful book on the Menai Straits - full of graet photos which terry Beggs took. I understand he was a very good photographer.
Regarding lecturers, not many of you will remember Nellists Nautical Academy in Newcastle on Tyne. I studied for 2nd Mate there in 1946 or 7. Neither of the two brothers had ever been to sea but their success rate was the best in the country.
Sid

#10 ·
'Bomber' Lancaster had 3 pet hates,

1) Long haired coffee bar cowboys
2) People who smoked
3) Women who played bingo

Needless to say he ended up marrying his landlady, who smoked 30 a day, and spent her evenings at the bingo hall.

A great guy when we came up for 2nd Mates.

#8 ·
All,
I was up in front of an Examiner Captain ----- ?(yes, above Burtons) for Coxswain Second Class when at the Boulevard Nautical School in Hull in 1958, can someone please enlighten me as to his name.
He was ferocious we lived in terror.
Yours aye,
Slick

#9 ·
When I was at Nellists Nautical Academy doing 2nd Mates in 1945 there was a chap briefly in our digs who was doing his 3rd orals for master. At his first oral he had disagreed with the examnier over some point and had been failed and told to come back after 3 or 6 months back at sea. He came back - went into the orals - was asked same question - stuck to his answer - sent back to sea again. Third time examiner relented and passed him. Wish I could remember what the bone of contention was between them.

#16 ·
I remember him well, at first when attending the "Pre-Sea Cadet Course" at the old Clarence Street location (College of Building) in 1955.

Later on had him for 2nd Mate in 1960 and Mate in 62.

A genial, humerous man with a broad Lanky accent, his first name was Frank

#18 ·
The Byrom Street Lecturers were very much two tier (age wise). Ozzie Stewart headed the old timers.
The younger ones who were contempories of Terry Beggs (mentioned above) were Len Holder and Alan Bole ( all three BF). Percy Owen was ex Brocks and Tom Maddox ex T & Js. There was only one lecturer in Byrom Street who did not have Extra's and that was Chalkie (lived Leasowe Road). Chalkie was only allowed to teach up to First Mates (FG) which was a shame as he really knew his stuff.

#20 ·
More by good luck than by design, I did all of my study & tickets in Glasgow at GCNS between 1971 and 1980. The lecturers in the Nav Department were the finest and fairest one could possibly hope for. They must have been to get me past DOT! I had the grestest respect for each and every one of them.

Harold Brown
Andrew Callendar
Tony Wright
George Gordon
Ian Pearson
Moore LaMay
Alistair Crozer
Alistair Douglas
Ian Drummond
Capt. Kennedy
Douglas Watkinson (Head of Dept).

I'm sure I've skipped a few.

Stephen

#24 ·
Did 2nd Mates at King Teds and remember a Bell and a Ballard.
Did Mates at Warsash and remember only Ken Glass.
Did Masters at the Boulevard and remember only a Captain Ferguson or "Fergie" as he was known. He used to lecture with a roll-up ciggy hanging from his mouth and the longer it sat there the soggier and more disgusting it used to get. One of his vintage jokes was to leave this old tab end on the side somewhere, then just before finishing the lecture pretend to find it and pronounce "ah, glad I found that, I would have had to come back tonight to look for if I had'nt".
Seems strange now, to even think about a class full of students all lighting up as and when they wished.

#28 ·
Was taught by F Main A Bole Terry Beggs L Holder who became Head of Maritime them for 1st mates and later on the BSc Nautical Science Degree.Did 2nd Mates ONC at South Shields.Later did PGCLTHE when lectured there
Never finished my PhD. Got Masters from there as well. Also I think Frank Main was head of Maritime

#32 · (Edited)
Wasn't Terry Beggs Captain Superintendent of the Indefatigable shore scholl at Llanfairpwll, Anglesey. I think I am right ! If so, he and Capt Parry Hughes published a wonderful book on the Menai Straits - full of graet photos which terry Beggs took. I understand he was a very good photographer.
Regarding lecturers, not many of you will remember Nellists Nautical Academy in Newcastle on Tyne. I studied for 2nd Mate there in 1946 or 7. Neither of the two brothers had ever been to sea but their success rate was the best in the country.

Collaborating with Capt Parry Hughes, they crafted a captivating book on the Menai Straits, enriched with Terry Beggs' impressive photography. 🌊📷 His dual expertise in education and visual storytelling left an indelible mark. For those navigating educational waters today, services like Essays.Edubirdie https://essays.edubirdie.com/assignment-writing-service can provide valuable support. Shifting focus to Nellists Nautical Academy in Newcastle upon Tyne, the success stories emanating from two brothers who hadn't sailed themselves are awe-inspiring. Studying for 2nd Mate at this unique institution in 1946 or 7 must have been a memorable journey.

Sid
His collaboration with Capt Parry Hughes on a book about the Menai Straits showcases his photography skills. The mention of Nellists Nautical Academy in Newcastle on Tyne brings back memories of a unique institution with successful outcomes, despite the founders not having been to sea themselves. It's fascinating how various individuals contribute to maritime education and leave a lasting impact.

#33 ·
Terry Beggs taught at Liverpool Polytechnic when I was doing my Chief Mates and later on doing a Nautical Science BSc. Around 1973
Great lecturer very laid back.
Did hydro surveying on Menai Strates on Prince Madog.
Really bad weather never been so seasick in all my time at sea.
And last year had a summer holiday on Anglesey. Felt sick just remembering the experience.