masters salaries - Ships Nostalgia
16:24

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

masters salaries

Old 20th November 2008, 18:08

Question masters salaries

been a few years now since i was in the mn and was just wondering about the salaries that masters would now get on the likes of supertankers etc.

regards scotty
Old 20th November 2008, 18:46

salaries

what ever they are paid now a days,its still not enough.especially with ,what is happening in the gulf of aden.[21st century rambos].same for all the crew.

Last edited by trucker : 20th November 2008 at 19:00.
Old 21st November 2008, 01:09
James_C James_C is online now   SN Supporter
Malim Sahib Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation

My location
Tankers tend to be the higher end of the market with regards to wages, and certainly the last time I was on a British flag tanker 2 and a bit years ago Masters salaries ranged from between 60,000 to 100,000 depending on length of service and bonuses.
That was all of course tax free, assuming you spent 183 days out of the country, which was pretty much a given. You can get more going foreign flag.

Jim
Old 21st November 2008, 08:03
Organisation: Royal Fleet Auxilary
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 2002

All,
One Company I was with used to have Senior Masters (4), they split a fifth Masters Salary into 1/4's and did his work a nice little earner!!
Yours aye,
Slick
Old 21st November 2008, 08:33

Whatever they pay you can be assured it can be bettered elsewhere. However, the diffential is not what it was. In the 60s /70s the difference was vast.
Old 21st November 2008, 12:57

I believe, I am rather sure of it - having heard it several times, that on Norwegian vessels there was a clause that said the Captain was to recieve a certain sum above the highest sum paid any other crew member, overtime included, if this was to surpass the Captain's contract salary. So having, let's say, the Electrician changing light bulbs every night, and doing standby on the forecastle when entering or leaving port, might be a proftable idea to the Captain. This is at least how a certain Electrician came to do what should have been the work of a mate was explained to me, but that story might perhaps be far-fetched?
Old 24th December 2008, 22:01
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 1981

Not so! My first command was with the Commodore Chief Engineer who was the top salary earner among Chiefs. I automatically was paid 10% more than he which was a nice increase over what I should have been paid as a newby Master! On my next ship, however, the Chief was new to the company and I was reduced to the regular salary level as befitted my junior status!
This was the company's policy that the Master received 10% more than the Chief Engineer if not otherwise above that differential.