USS Brunswick - Ships Nostalgia
14:41

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

USS Brunswick

Old 2nd December 2008, 15:06

USS Brunswick

Does any member have any details about the salvage tug USS Brunswick after she was transferred to the South Korean navy in 80s/90s ?

I sailed on this ship as Chf Stwd whilst she was doing builders trials (Brooke Ma

rine) in the early 70s. Missed out on the delivery run to Newport News.USA
Thanks Stuart Henderson France
Old 8th July 2009, 20:32
Organisation: Coastguard
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - 1996

Stuart,

Try these sites for information:

http://kalnaf.egloos.com/1589785 -This is So Korean Navy site.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/31/3103.htm-This is US Navy site.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Old 29th July 2009, 19:29

Thumbs up USS Brunswick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesdream View Post
Stuart,

Try these sites for information:

http://kalnaf.egloos.com/1589785 -This is So Korean Navy site.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/31/3103.htm-This is US Navy site.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the above sites,tried but no success to find Brunswick but lets face it that was an awful long time ago. I havent been back on this thread for some time, but thanks again for your reply
Stuart Henderson
France
Old 29th July 2009, 20:00

My location
Stuart,
Navsource is an amazing site and very large so perhaps you ovelooked THIS SHIP
Steve
Old 29th July 2009, 20:10
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1992 - 2010

From Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Brunswick_(ATS-3)
Old 30th July 2009, 08:16

For some reason, the ")" gets dropped off and link fails..? Anyway, here's the site ssr481 found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Brunswick_(ATS-3)

Last edited by melliget : 30th July 2009 at 08:18.
Old 30th July 2009, 19:58

Hey, Im from Korea and I do know the fate of the USS Brunswick

Hi all.

I just came to this site because my Blog was linked here.

So some people are discussing the fate of the ATS USS "Brunswick"?

South Korea's ship building is currently concentrated on building huge, high-tech surface combatants, and while doing so we did not acquire enough number of auxiliary ships.

That's why ROKN purchased two ATS from the USN in 1996.

USS Brunswick (ATS) is now called ROKS "Gwangyang" (광양: Name of a small coastal city in Korea) (ATS 28), and is actively participating in ROKN's naval operations.

Here's the picture of her, taken in 1999.
http://pds15.egloos.com/pds/200907/3...1ecbf3c2e3.jpg

I am surprised that anyone would wanna know the fate of this ship.

Were you former seaman of USS Brunswick or something?

We had to fix, repair, go through a total overhaul so that this huge chunk of scrap iron could become operable again, and it was a hard job.

Now, she's as good as new.
Old 31st July 2009, 08:41

USS Brunswick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaf View Post
Hi all.

I just came to this site because my Blog was linked here.

So some people are discussing the fate of the ATS USS "Brunswick"?

South Korea's ship building is currently concentrated on building huge, high-tech surface combatants, and while doing so we did not acquire enough number of auxiliary ships.

That's why ROKN purchased two ATS from the USN in 1996.

USS Brunswick (ATS) is now called ROKS "Gwangyang" (광양: Name of a small coastal city in Korea) (ATS 28), and is actively participating in ROKN's naval operations.

Here's the picture of her, taken in 1999.
http://pds15.egloos.com/pds/200907/3...1ecbf3c2e3.jpg

I am surprised that anyone would wanna know the fate of this ship.

Were you former seaman of USS Brunswick or something?

We had to fix, repair, go through a total overhaul so that this huge chunk of scrap iron could become operable again, and it was a hard job.

Now, she's as good as new.
Hi Kalnaf,
Thanks for your reply concerning Brunswick. I am very supprised to hear she is still operating but appreciate your comments about the building programme of the S Korean Navy. I looked at their site after getting information from another guy on this site and was impressed by the ships they have.
I am sure Brunswick needed a lot of work after all it 37 years ago when I sailed on her duringtrials off the English coast where she was built, dont think many ships last that long these days....
In my later life I was closely associated with Dong Ah company in Libya for about fifteen years and made some good friends but that too was a long time ago... Time flies.
Thanks for the information,best wishes
Stuart Henderson
Old 31st July 2009, 11:54

From the Paxman History website, the 3 ATS were originally engined as follows:
Engines (per vessel): Four Paxman 12YLCM for main propulsion, each rated 1,700 bhp at 900 rpm, driving two propeller shafts through 'two into one' Modern Wheel Drive gearboxes. The Starboard pair of engines were 'standard' rotation but the Port pair 'reverse' rotation. Four Paxman 8RPHCZ Mk 5 auxiliaries, each driving a 300kWe gen-set. The gen-sets themselves were built by Paxman, with Laurence Scott and Electromotors Ltd alternators.

Since being transferred to the South Korean Navy the main engines have been replaced with another make. The generators were replaced by US make.

The Paxman History website is at: http://www.paxmanhistory.org.uk/paxmanRN.htm

Last edited by R736476 : 31st July 2009 at 11:59. Reason: Additional info.
Old 16th September 2009, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by R396040 View Post
Does any member have any details about the salvage tug USS Brunswick after she was transferred to the South Korean navy in 80s/90s ?

I sailed on this ship as Chf Stwd whilst she was doing builders trials (Brooke Ma

rine) in the early 70s. Missed out on the delivery run to Newport News.USA
Thanks Stuart Henderson France

Stuart,
I was part of the last crew that was on the Supertug from 1994-1996. We decomissioned her in Hawaii in the spring of 1996.
Back in the spring 1994 we replaced her original with New CAT Diesel Engines.
Before we decommisioned her, we had teh pleaseure of being teh first US Navy ship allowed in the waters off the coast of Cambodia for an MIA recovery off of Koh Tang Island.
It was stationed in Sasebo, Japan and did alot of exercises with the Korean Navy/Divers. The mixed gas dive system as well as the onboard decompression chamber were several reason why the Korean Navy wanted it.
If you need any more info, let me know.

Ryan
Old 21st September 2009, 19:35

Smile USS Brunswick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynobull View Post
Stuart,
I was part of the last crew that was on the Supertug from 1994-1996. We decomissioned her in Hawaii in the spring of 1996.
Back in the spring 1994 we replaced her original with New CAT Diesel Engines.
Before we decommisioned her, we had teh pleaseure of being teh first US Navy ship allowed in the waters off the coast of Cambodia for an MIA recovery off of Koh Tang Island.
It was stationed in Sasebo, Japan and did alot of exercises with the Korean Navy/Divers. The mixed gas dive system as well as the onboard decompression chamber were several reason why the Korean Navy wanted it.
If you need any more info, let me know.

Ryan
Hi Ryan,
Thanks for your interesting input concerning the Brunswick. Mention of Sasebo was also interesting and I recalled my last visit to that port way back in the days of the Korean War in 1952 delivering oil for the USN aboard a Panamanian flagged Esso tanker the Esso Syracuse. Even thinking that far back makes me feel EVEN OLDER ............
Thanks gain
Stuart
Old 10th May 2010, 21:02

Hi to you R396040,
I was on ATS3 Brunswick as a AB tock her over to Rottadam to do lifting trisals then up to Dunhellder for towing trisals,
name Phil balfe about 5ft 2 had long blond hair,so who aer you?
Phil balfe Dover. Oh she is no moor.

Last edited by philipbalfe : 10th May 2010 at 23:31.
Old 15th May 2010, 19:27

Thumbs up USS Brunswick

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipbalfe View Post
Hi to you R396040,
I was on ATS3 Brunswick as a AB tock her over to Rottadam to do lifting trisals then up to Dunhellder for towing trisals,
name Phil balfe about 5ft 2 had long blond hair,so who aer you?
Phil balfe Dover. Oh she is no moor.
Hi Philip,
Yes I was on her for trial runs at immingham & Lowestoft I recall as Chief Steward,think it was pulling trials (?). I did several jobs like that on new builds mostly Hall Russell shipyard Aberdeen. in early 1970s. I had already served at sea on different ships,was on Vindy training ship at Sharpness in 1946. Shortly after Brunswick got job on SENLAC of Sealink Newhaven -Dieppe run. Finally left the sea in 1977 after thirty years. Went on N>Sea oil for a while then Saudi Arabia for five years followed by Libya 15 years and was there till I retired at 65 in 1996. Moved to France permanently in 1993.Just got back from Saudi again Riyadh visiting my younger son who works there, lots of changes there nowadays. Must be getting old,,,,, 79 and feeling it.
Cheers
Stuart Henderson
Old 24th June 2010, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by R736476 View Post
From the Paxman History website, the 3 ATS were originally engined as follows:
Engines (per vessel): Four Paxman 12YLCM for main propulsion, each rated 1,700 bhp at 900 rpm, driving two propeller shafts through 'two into one' Modern Wheel Drive gearboxes. The Starboard pair of engines were 'standard' rotation but the Port pair 'reverse' rotation. Four Paxman 8RPHCZ Mk 5 auxiliaries, each driving a 300kWe gen-set. The gen-sets themselves were built by Paxman, with Laurence Scott and Electromotors Ltd alternators.

Since being transferred to the South Korean Navy the main engines have been replaced with another make. The generators were replaced by US make.

The Paxman History website is at: http://www.paxmanhistory.org.uk/paxmanRN.htm
Hi R736476,
Interesting comments regarding the US Navy Tug 'Brunswick', but tell me where was she built, obviously in the UK, somewhere, ?,
I'm not surprised that USN 'ditched' the Paxmans, B. awful engines.
The best one I ever saw was the remains of one that 'accidentally' fell over-board in the Tasman Sea. Oh we did cheer, but fully expected Davy Jones to send it back.