Hain Nourse - Ships Nostalgia
16:43

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hain Nourse

Old 15th January 2009, 15:07

Talking Hain Nourse

Do anyone remember P&Os tramp outfit?The "tre" ships,mostly named after Cornish villages and towns.I sailed as 4th, 3rd &laterly,contract 2nd eng with them.I thought they were one of the best I sailed with. G Mac
Old 15th January 2009, 16:21

George
I sailed as 1st Mate on the Trefusis , Treneglos and the Kohinur , but then I was sent to the bulk carriers Duhallow , Atherstone and Fernie.
Unfortunately , that was the end , because in 1972 , P & O absorbed everything into the " divisions" , and I left the group after a very happy four years.
Old 24th May 2009, 08:37
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1970

My location
Hello George, I was first trip J/E on "Trelissick", out of Barry in September '62. This was before the Hain Stemship company became Hain Norse. The trip was eight months twelve days and seventeen hours of total pugatory! I never signed on another diesel engined ship, although I was superintendent engineer on a few.
Old 28th May 2009, 06:53

My location
Thanks for the e-mail George, I sort of know the feeling! I see that you were with KSC, I think I did a couple of jobs for them in Rotterdam in the '80s, I was also doing port repairs for KOTC. It's a funny thing about, "Hungry Hains", a great uncle of mine was carpenter on one, "Treleven", in 1910/11 ( or was that the Trevelan?-(for the experts)), he jumped ship in San Francisco to rebuild the place after the fire, then he joined the US Army to get back to the UK in 1917/18. As an apprentice on Cardiff and Barry docks, it was normal to see lots of Houlder and Hain ships in port and dry dock.

Last edited by Billieboy : 28th May 2009 at 06:57.
Old 4th June 2009, 13:32

Hi George I was one of the last eng app with Hain SS Sailed on Trefusis Tremeddow and then Atherstone before transfering to Blue Star
Regards Roger
Old 4th June 2009, 21:29
Active: 1960 - 2002

Atherstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogioio View Post
Hi George I was one of the last eng app with Hain SS Sailed on Trefusis Tremeddow and then Atherstone before transfering to Blue Star
Regards Roger
Hello Roger,

I sailed with Hain Nourse during 1966, Atherston pics..
The lad in the photograph with Tim Bream, went of to Blue Star, are you the man, I visited you on the Rockhampton Star in Whangerai off the Larchbank.

All the best ,

John.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Atherstone 2.jpg (31.3 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg Atherstone 1.jpg (22.6 KB, 134 views)
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:30
Department: Deck
Active: 1984 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by george mcmaster View Post
Do anyone remember P&Os tramp outfit?The "tre" ships,mostly named after Cornish villages and towns.I sailed as 4th, 3rd &laterly,contract 2nd eng with them.I thought they were one of the best I sailed with. G Mac
Aye George, the "Tre" prefix to the vesel's names comes from the Cornish word Tre, which means "land" or "of the land"
There are indeed many villages named with such a prefix, but also a very popular surname prefix in Cornwall too.
Fine looking vessels they were, and thats no error.

Kernow Bys Vyken!!
Old 10th July 2009, 13:36
Organisation: Port Authorities
Active: 1958 - 1996

Hains and Hain-Nourse

Hi

Hains ships were in fact named after Manor Houses, Farms etc mainly owned by relatives and friends of the Hain family.

I served my time, starting on Trelevan 1962 and Trecarne mainly but also spent time on Tremorvah and Tremedow. Then went on Jumnah before moving onto the bulk carriers Duhallow and Fernie, the pay was better and so was leave. A good company which gave a sound basis on which to build.

Treboats.

Last edited by treboats : 10th July 2009 at 13:38. Reason: errors
Old 10th July 2009, 15:14

I think I may be the last apprentice to have joined HN, 1971 just a few months before the great take over. Really enjoyed my time with them, sailed on Kohinur twice and Trefusis once before being sent for a more 'important appointment ' P & O's Strathconon !. Personnel Officer for Apprentices was Dougy Arnold.

regards
Dave
Old 11th July 2009, 12:37

Hains names

Was meant to sail on Trefusis on my first trip in late 1961 but broke my collar bone and got the Trelevan with Capt Bill Boyd, Ch Officer John Armstrong instead. Cant remember many other names Capt Donald Pemberthy, who died earlier this year, Capt Horace ? was on the Trecarne, Capt Billy Whitaker on Duhallow also Capt Lennox, he and Penberthy two of the finest Masters I ever sailed under.

It was very sad when P&O got rid of the company and created the various divisions, but by that time the whole industry was being run but certainly not managed by "Bean Counters"

treboats
Old 12th July 2009, 08:41
Organisation: Royal Fleet Auxilary
Active: 1958 - 2002

treboats,
I also sailed in Hains, I believe (or so I was told) that Captain Lennox was in fact a Polish seafarer who pitched up in the UK during WW2, he changed his name from Antonovitch to Lennox after the family he was put up with in Glasgow. I have always been concerned as to the veracity of this tale, can anyone confirm or quash the story?

Yours aye,

Slick
Old 12th July 2009, 10:08

treboats,
Your reference to Captain Horace ----- set me thinking and trawling the memory banks, and whilst shaving it came to me Captain Horace Gravell !!
Captain Penberthy was the last Captain I sailed with in Hains he came out to bring the Trewidden home after the death of Captain JJ Reilly in 1969.

Yours aye,

Slick
Old 12th July 2009, 10:53

My location
Salvage Master in Liverpool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by treboats View Post
Was meant to sail on Trefusis on my first trip in late 1961 but broke my collar bone and got the Trelevan with Capt Bill Boyd, Ch Officer John Armstrong instead. Cant remember many other names Capt Donald Pemberthy, who died earlier this year, Capt Horace ? was on the Trecarne, Capt Billy Whitaker on Duhallow also Capt Lennox, he and Penberthy two of the finest Masters I ever sailed under.

treboats
September '62, master of "Trelissick", was Capt Whitaker, Known as Windy Willie when foggy or Cyclone Bill when it was blowing! We ran out of fuel and food on that trip, picked up a tow in force 8 off Japan, then the wind started to blow! gen. av, 4kts astern for two or three days. The C/O was Richard Bonney, ex Conway, C/E was Peter Russel Cook, almost a full Barry crowd, including the cook. 8 month 12 days and 17 hours, was asked if I would like to transfer to Trident Tankers, which I politely declined, as there was NO way I was going to sea with them if the, "Trelissick", was the prime example of the P&O fleet!
Old 12th July 2009, 11:02

HAIN STEAMSHIP CO.

The Hain family had long been resident in St. Ives, and their name can be traced back to the 16th century. Their first recorded shipping venture would seem to be a part share in the fishing lugger DASHER, wich was built and registered at St. Ives in 1816.
Edward Hain (I), Michael Welch and Matthew Daniel, all described as mariners took equal shares in the vessel. She was comamded by Edward Hain (I) until in 1832 he retired from the sea, although his shareholding was retained.
The DASHER was succesful, and on 17 February 1838 the schooner CAMILLA was purchased. This time control of the vessel was firmly in the hands of the Hain family, with 16 shares held by Edward Hain (I) and 32 shares held by his son Edward. The balance of the shares were held by Richard Paynter a St. Ives fisherman whose family was closely connected with the Hains.

The CAMILLA was purchased from Thomas and William Bolitho of Gulval near Penzance, two very succesful local merchants. In addition to their shipowning activities, they also had interests in fish curing and tin smelting, and the family went on to become merchant bankers and the financiers os many of the subsequent Hain ships.

The potential of the ship was doubtless recognised by Edward Hain (II), who commanded her for some years prior to purchase. It was with her that the family gained experience of the deep sea trades with regular voyages to the Mediterranean with cured fish.

With the delivery of the schooner MYSTERY in 1850, the third Edward Hain, son of Edward (II), became active in the business. Like his father, he was also a master mariner and was to command a number of their vessels. Business prospered, albeit on a small scale, and the financial interest of the Bolithos became more apparent. In addition to the carriage of cured fish to the mediterranean, returning with Greek and Turkish dried fruit, Hains also entered the West Indies sugar and Brazilian coffee trades.

December 1851 saw the birth of the fourth Edward Hain, followed shortly afterwards by the death of his great grandfather, Edward (II). The succeeding years saw little expansion of the fleet, with never more than three vessels in service at any one time. By now the fleet was trading even further afield, and in 1862 the brigantine EMILY sailed from Wales on a voyage of 15 months duration which was to include visits to ports in Spain, Canada, Brazil, France, Holland and Ireland. Her cargo included coal, salt, fish, sugar, oil cake, bran and oats.

At the time of the death of Edward Hain (II) in February 1866, the fleet consisted of two brigantines GLYNN and EMILY, with a third, MARGARET HAIN (named after the wife of Edward Hain (II)) under construction at Rye. Shareholdings in the vessels were largely divided between the family who owned the major part, and Thomas Bolitho the banker.

After an education in various private schools in St. Ives, Edward Hain (III) was sent to the local branch of Bolitho's Bank for a training in accountancy and book keeping. Unlike his father and grandfather, he showed no interest in going to sea and it was recognised that his talents could best be employed in management. After two years at the bank, he moved on to a tea merchant's office in London to gain knowledge of current commercial practice. The combination of the bank training and the time spent in London was to have a profound influence on the development of the company. Upon his return to St. Ives in 1878 he presented his father with an ultimatum; either the company purchase steamships or he would resign.
The year previously, the Hains had taken delivery of their first and only iron barquentine, the T.S.B., a name derived from the initials of Thomas Simon Bolitho. The transition from wood to iron had been a significant development for them and the advance to steamships of more than four times the size must have seemed inconceivable. Although the compound expansion reciprocating engine had been introduced in 1860, steam tramps were still regarded as slow and unreliable. The average steamer rarely exceeded 8 knots whereas some of the ocean going sailing ships could exceed 17 knots in favourable conditions. Edward was convinced that greater profits were to be gained from steam and that the days of sail were numbered. Not the least of his father's worries was the cost, estimated to be some £ 18,000, and how the vessel was to be financed.

Young Edward was confident that the money could be borrowed from Bolithos Bank and it was eventually agreed to order one steamer if sufficient shareholders could be found who were willing to invest their money. The Bolithos were approached and took no time in deciding to support the venture by standing in with the money until a shareholding could be formed, and in agreeing to take shares themselves. Having secured financial support, young Edward visited the yard of John Readhead and Co. at South Shields, where a lasting relationship with the shipbuilders was formed. The first steamer was ordered and Readheads went on to build 73 more during Edward's lifetime; in fact he never had dealings with any other yard. A total of 87 ships were eventually delivered by Readheads to the company, one of the most outstanding owner/builder associations in British shipbuilding history.
In recognition of the support provided by the Bolithos, the first steamer was named TREWIDDEN after the Bolitho estate outside Penzance. She was launched by the daughter of John Readhead on 26th November 1878 and ran trials off South Shields in January 1879. The contract price was £18,000 which was funded by the issue of 64 shares of £285. The shareholdings in this and subsequent early steamers were for the most part held by members of the Hain and Bolitho families, plus a large number of small investors from St. Ives and neighbouring villages. There seemed to be no shortage of potential investors and an examination of early lists shows master mariners, farmers, mine agents, and even local shopkeepers. This was to be the pattern of shareholding until the formation of the limited liability company in 1901. Very often the same shareholders, such as the Hayle ship chandler Biggleston Spray and the St. Ives draper Richard Permewan purchased one or two shares in each successive ship. If funds were not readily available, the Bolitho Bank was always ready to advance the money at a suitable rate of interest. In succeeding years the variety of shareholders increased to include merchants and agents in Smyrna and the Black Sea ports, which was indicative of the Black Sea grain trade in which the ships were engaged in those early days.

In 1881 he went into partnership with Cardiff shipbroker R.A. Foster to form Foster, Hain & Co., shipping agents.
After 1883 a number of ships were registered to conform with the Companies' Acts of 1862 to 1880. This resulted in the formation of single ship companies with limited liability and a share issue considerably in excess of the former sixty fourth system. Edward Hain (III) and Edward Hain (IV) were appointed sole directors of all the single ship companies and designated managers of the ships. For this they received 2 ½ % on the gross earnings of each steamer plus travelling and other expenses incurred. By 1901 the fleet had increased spectacularly to 22 steamers with an estimated value of £500,000. It was then decided to amalgamate the single ship companies into one limited liability company. On 16th September 1901 The Hain Steamship Company Limited was registered with a capital of £500,000 in £10 shares.

The steady development of his shipping business did little to hinder Edward's interest in politics. In 1883 he had been elected a member of the St. Ives Town Council, and the following year he was chosen as mayor. He undertook his duties conscientiously and was, as a result, re elected to that office in 1885 and 1886. He was later elected for further terms in 1889, 1895 and 1899. He served as a councillor and alderman for 20 years, and was also a county councillor for Cornwall for 15 years. In 1885 he was placed on the Commission of Peace for St. Ives and in 1889 on the list of County Justices. With such a background it was hardly surprising that he decided to stand for Parliament, and in 1900 he was elected unopposed as Member for the St. Ives constituency. The seat had become vacant following the retirement of Thomas Bedford Bolitho. Edward Hain (IV) held the seat as a Liberal Unionist until 1906, when increasing business pressures forced his resignation. Public office still attracted him however, and in 1912 he was appointed High Sheriff for Cornwall. His standing in shipping circles was by now considerable, and in 1910 he was elected President of the Chamber of Shipping. This was followed in 1912 by a knighthood for services to British shipping.
His fleet continued to expand at a rapid rate following the incorporation in 1901, and by 1913 numbered 36 ships. In addition, there were a further five on order at Readheads. The expansion of the fleet had been completely financed out of revenue without making any fresh issue of capital. As noted earlier, all the new steamers were coming from Readheads on Tyneside, who in 1907 had launched their 50th for the company; the TREVINCE. At her launching, Edward Hain (IV) observed that one ship out of every five built by Readheads since 1878 had been built for his company, and he had signed all 50 contracts.

The company entered the 1914 war in a strong financial position and with a respectable fleet. Unfortunately two steamers TREGLISSON 4,265/12 and TREVIDER 4,260/13 were berthed in German ports at the outbreak and were both detained for the duration. They were declared total losses in 1915 by the North of England Protection and Indemnity Association, and the company was paid £50,000 for each vessel in compensation. Both were returned to the United Kingdom at the cessation of hostilities, and the company exercised its option to repossess them. The company also lost the services of TREVORIAN 4,144/11, which was trapped in the Black Sea and came under Russian control. Like the other two she survived the war, but was wrecked in 1919 on her return voyage from Novorossisk. A further 18 vessels were lost by enemy action and 100 lives were lost.

Losses World War One

14.11.1915 TRENEGLOS Torpedoed and sunk 70 miles WSW of Gavdo island, Crete by U34 o.v. Port Louis to U.K. with sugar.
20.1.1916 TREMATON Captured and sunk by gunfire 180 miles SE of Malta by U35 o.v. Karachi to U.K. with grain.
22.4.1916 TREGANTLE Torpedoed and sunk 1.5 miles ESE of Corton Light Vessel, 3 miles N of Lowestoft by UB16 o.v. Galveston to Hull with wheat.
16.11.1916 TREVARRACK Captured and sunk by gunfire 25 miles NW of Les Hanois,Guernsey by UC18 o.v. Buenos Aires to Hull with wheat.
19.1.1917 TREMEADOW Captured and sunk by gunfire 5 miles NE ¾ N of Ushant by UC21 o.v. Buenos Aires to Hull with maize.
22.1.1917 TREVEAN Captured and sunk by bombs 240 miles WSW of Fastnet by U57 o.v. Benisaf to the Tyne with iron ore.
18.3.1917 TREVOSE Torpedoed and sunk 230 miles NW ½ N from Ushant by U81 o.v. Tyne to Italy with coal.
7.4.1917 TREFUSIS Captured and sunk with bombs 30 miles SE of Cape Pula,Sardinia by U65 o.v. Cardiff to Alexandria with coal.
11.4.1917 TREMORVAH Captured and sunk by gunfire 70 miles NNW of Cape Bougaroni by U65 o.v. Malta to Gibraltar in ballast.
18.4.1917 TREKIEVE Torpedoed and sunk 100 miles W of Gibraltar by U35 c.v. Cardiff to Genoa with coal.
15.7.1917 TRELISSICK Torpedoed and sunk 80 miles SW by W ¼ W of Ushant o.v. Boston to Bordeaux with oats and steel by UC72.
20.7.1917 TRELYON Mined 3 miles N of Scarborough o.v. Archangel to Methil and London with timber. Beached at White Nab in Scarborough but became a total loss.
29.8.1917 TRELOSKE Torpedoed and sunk 145 miles NW ¾ W of Cape Finis¬terre by U93 o.v. Barry to Spezia with general and coal.
3.9.1917 TREVERBYN Mined and sunk in inner Hebrides 2 miles ESE of Ushinish Light Vessel.,South Uist o.v. Narvik to Manchester with iron ore. Mines laid by U75.
26.12.1917 TREGENNA Torpedoed and sunk 9 miles S of Dodman Point by UB57 on her maiden voyage from the Tyne to Gibraltar with coal.
4.2.1918 TREVEAL Torpedoed and sunk off the Skerries,Anglesey by U53 o.v. Algiers to Barrow with iron ore. 33 lost including the Master.

Sir Edward suffered a severe blow in 1915 when his only son Edward (V) was killed at Gallipoli during the Dardanelles campaign. He had been serving as a captain with the Cornish Squadron of the Royal 1st Devon Yeomanry. Edward (V) had been training in the family business for a number of years and his father never fully recovered from his loss. In June 1917, Sir Edward suffered a severe breakdown during a German air raid on London, and returned to Cornwall to convalesce. On 20th September 1917 he died at his home Treloyhan, St. Ives, and the news stunned the shipping world. Lord Inchcape of the P&O Steam Navigation Company fully appreciated the value of the fleet, and on 27th October 1917 an offer to purchase was made. The fleet, which at this time numbered 23 vessels, was valued at £2,000,000 and cash assets were held of a similar value. The P&O therefore offered £80 per share, valuing the total shareholding of 49,957 shares at £3,996,560. In addition, they agreed to pay £400,000 compensation to the retiring partners in Edward Hain and Son. The company was therefore acquired for £4,396,560. It is still remembered in St. Ives how Lord Inchcape and Robert Sawle Read embarked on the local fishing boat MOPPET and sailed into the Bay, where all contracts were signed. Immediately upon acquisition, P&O sold 50% of their shareholding to their subsidiary British India Steam Navigation Co. Ltd. and these two companies thereafter remained the sole shareholders.
It was Lord Inchcape's intention from the outset to keep Hain as a separate entity within the group and management of the fleet was to remain firmly in the hands of the Hain directors with P&O exerting overall control. One of the first consequences of the takeover, was an increase in the importance of the London office. The company had long had a presence in the capital, the first office being opened there in 1887 in partnership with Robert Sawle Read, an accountant from St. Ives. It was not too long before the directors were moved to London, and the St. Ives office was left to deal with staffing matters. In addition to London and St. Ives, the company employed a considerable staff at Cardiff, where an office had been opened as early as 1881. This operation was run by another partner, Richard Andrews Foster, and he was responsible for the chartering of ships for outward coal cargoes, bunkering, storing, dry-docking and repairing. In later years a small engineering company, Roath Engineering Co. Ltd. was established there.

Having satisfactorily acquired control of Hain, P&O next made moves to acquire the long established London shipowner Mercantile Steam Ship Co. Ltd. Mercantile had grown from the activities of the brothers John and Charles Dunkerly, who purchased their first vessel NILE in 1865. The company prospered, and at the outbreak of war in 1914 they were running a fleet of some 14 tramps, with two further vessels under construction.
However, as a result of heavy war losses and poor prospects for the future, the directors made it known that the company was available for disposal. The P&O was once again interested and late in 1917, Hain acquired the majority of shares in the company at a cost of £ 1,484,944. The remaining shares were purchased in the years 1922 and 1923, and by 31st March 1923, the whole of the share capital was held by Hain.
For the first few years after 1917 the Mercantile fleet continued to trade as before, with Hain acting as managers. No new vessels were ordered, although in 1921 Hain transferred to Mercantile the contract for one of the ships they had under construction at Readheads. This ship was to be completed in July 1922 as the MIN. However, it soon became apparent to the P&O Board that there was little to be gained in running two separate companies in the tramping trades. Therefore on 21st June 1923 the Mercantile Board resolved to put the company into voluntary liquidation and transfer the fleet assets to Hain. Although the Mercantile steamers were promptly repainted in Hain colours, their traditional names were retained, and did in fact last until 1936. Then, at a board meeting in September of that year, it was finally resolved to preserve the uniformity of the fleet names. As a result, the former Mercantile steamers plus NIMODA and NOHATA of 1928, were all given “manufactured" Cornish names with the prefix “TRE".

No sooner had the acquisition of Mercantile been completed than the directors embarked upon further financial manoeuvrings. Once again the influence of Inchcape and the P&O were much in evidence. This time their efforts were directed towards a number of companies formerly controlled by the veteran shipowner Frank C. Strick. His fleet and business had been sold to Lord Inchcape's personal company, Gray, Dawes and Co. after the War, and in May 1923 they offered it to P&O and it was decided that Hain should purchase the whole of the share capital four Strick companies Strick Line (1923) Ltd., The Shahristan Steamship Co. Ltd., The Turkistan Steamship Co. Ltd. and The Serbistan Steamship Co. Ltd. The four companies were purchased for £573,468, a loan being arranged to cover the cost. The purchase was almost certainly undertaken for the financial benefit of the P&O since the companies were engaged almost exclusively in the Arabian Gulf liner trades, and would seem totally incompatible with Hain's existing business.

In 1928, in spite of his advancing years (he was by now 79) Frank Strick approached Inchcape and expressed an interest in returning to the Gulf trade. After selling his fleet and business to Inchcape in 1920 he had registered the London, Paris and Marseilles Steamship Co. Ltd. and it was through this company that he intended restoring his interest. The purchase of a 49% minority shareholding was negotiated by Frank Strick in Strick Line (1923) Ltd. and The Shahristan Steamship Co. Ltd. for £236,228. The Turkistan Steamship Co. Ltd. and The Serbistan Steamship Co. Ltd. were then to be liquidated. Hain retained the controlling interest in the two trading companies until September 1935, when they were sold to the P&O for £2 10,000. P&O ultimately acquired the Strick minorities in 1972.
The Hain company had suffered heavily in the war, losing 18 vessels as a result of enemy action and three by marine causes. Fortunately, two which had been detained in German ports, TREGLISSON and TREVIDER, were returned in 1919 and quickly put back into service. New vessels had been delivered from Readheads throughout the war, but at a rate far below the level of losses. Further orders were placed with the yard when hostilities ceased, but under the new ownership, the dependence on this one yard was about to change. Under the guidance of Lord Inchcape, negotiations were commenced for the purchase of 16 wartime standard ships. These were of various types and from a number of different yards, as follows:
A type cargo carriers B type cargo carriers H type small cargo carrier Z type heavy oiler
WAR ACONITE WAR BULLDOG WAR QUINCE WAR AIRMAN
WAR JONQUIL WAR GANNET
WAR LAUREL WAR MALLARD
WAR LILAC WAR PLOVER
WAR LILY WAR QUAIL
WAR PALM WAR STAG
WAR PAMPAS
WAR PICOTEE

In addition, the company purchased seven ex German prizes from The Shipping Controller at a total cost of £1,027,000. These were not entirely suitable for their use and five were soon transferred to the Federal Steam Navigation Co. Ltd., another company controlled by P&O A further vessel, TREVESSA, was soon lost, and only TRELEVAN remained in the fleet.

The influence of P&O over the company increased during the following years and Hain were asked to manage and crew a number of P&O cargo liners on their Eastern services. It was not long before they began to order vessels specifically for use on P&O routes and the first of these, NIMODA and NOHATA, were launched late in 1927. This order was followed by one for four 14 ½ knot cargo liners, launched as BANGALORE, BURDWAN, BEHAR and BHUTAN. These latter vessels were permanently employed on P&O services, although registered under Hain Steamship and manned, stored, maintained and repaired by them. All were to become war losses, but in May 1941 a further vessel in the series was ordered from Barclay, Curle, at a cost of £395,000. This, the second BEHAR, only lasted eight months before she was sunk in the Pacific by a Japanese cruiser. A further two vessels for P&O service were ordered, SOMALI and SOUDAN, but although the former was launched for Hain, both were sold to P&O before completion.
The income from the vessels on charter to P&O undoubtedly helped the company over the lean years of the 1930s. In common with most shipowners, much of their fleet was laid up for long periods, the company favouring the River Fal in Cornwall. In 1930 as many as 15 of their vessels were idle in a stretch of the river between Woodbury and Tolverne known locally as Hain's Alley or Reach. They used this location for many years, the last time being in 1963 when TREMAYNE was laid up there for a brief period. During these years of recession the income earned was pitifully low and in many cases failed to cover running costs. It is however a tribute to the expertise of the Head Office staff that even in the blackest years the fleet usually made a profit on voyages, albeit at times a very small one. In the year ending March 1934, the profit on voyages for a fleet of 34 vessels after charging the cost of laying up tonnage, was a mere £33,029. This compares with £656,422 in the greatly improved year ending March 1938.

Despite the poor prospects for the foorseeable future, a contract was signed on 11th September 1935 with Litgows Ltd., Port Glasgow, for two new vessels of 5,200 gross tons. The cost was to be £92,595 each, payable one fifth on laying the keel, one fifth on completion of framing, one fifth on completion of plating, one fifth on launching and one fifth on delivery. The contract was completed as TREWELLARD and TREGARTHEN in July and september 1936 respectively. It was soon followed by another with the same yard for a a further two vessels of identical dimensions. TREVALGAN and TREVANION, built at a cost of £110,975 each, were to be the first motorships in the fleet.

At the outbreak of the Second World War, the fleet numbered 24 vessels with a further three on order. The latter had all been ordered from Clydeside yards in April 1939 at a cost of approximately £ 156,000 each. It was not long before the company suffered its first loss, TREVANION of 1937. She fell victim to the German pocket battleship ADMIRAL GRAF SPEE when five days out from Cape Town and her crew were taken prisoner. After an interval of several months there were further losses and their frequency increased as the war progressed. The level of losses was in fact so high that all of the vessels in commission in 1939 were eventually lost plus two of those on order. In part, their place was taken by Ministry of War Transport tonnage allocated to the company for management, a total of 30 such vessels being entrusted to them.

Losses World War Two

22.10.1939 TREVANION Shelled and sunk by GRAF SPEE in S. Atlantic off Brazil o.v. Port Pirie & Fremantle to Table Bay & Swansea with concentrates.
17.9.1940 TREGENNA Torpedoed and sunk NW of Rockall o.v. Philadelphia to Newport in HX71 with steel, 33 lost.
5.11.1940 TREWELLARD Shelled and sunk by ADMIRAL SCHEER in N. Atlantic o.v. Boston & Halifax to Liverpool with steel & aeroplanes
11.11.1940 TREBARTHA Bombed 4 miles SE of Aberdeen and run ashore o.v. London to Philadelphia in ballast.
24.11.1940 BEHAR Mined and sunk while leaving Milford Haven with military stores, beached but eventually demolished.
22.2.1941 TRELAWNY Shelled and sunk in N. Atlantic by SCHARNHORST and GNEISENAU o.v. Swansea to New York.
11.3.1941 TREVETHOE Torpedoed and sunk by E boat off Yarmouth o.v. St.John(NB) to London with wheat.
4.6.1941 TRECARRELL Torpedoed and sunk W of Cape Race o.v. Hull to Father Point in ballast.
6.6.1941 TREGARTHEN Torpedoed and sunk to W of Cape Race o.v. Cardiff to Kingston,Jamaica with coal.
8.6.1941 TREVARRACK Torpedoed and sunk in mid Atlantic o.v. Glasgow to Montreal in ballast, 43 lost.
13.6.1941 TRESILLIAN Torpedoed and sunk SE of Cape Race o.v. Immingham to the St. Lawrence in ballast.
23.6.1941 TRELISSICK Bombed and sunk 3.5 miles from Sheringham Buoy o.v. London & Tyne to Pepel in ballast.
20.7.1941 BANGALORE Damaged and sunk in collision off Amazon o.v. London to Hong Kong via Trinidad and Table Bay.
27.8.1941 TREMODA Torpedoed and sunk to W of Achill island o.v. London to Duala via the Tyne in OS4 with general.
21.10.1941 TREVERBYN Torpedoed and sunk to SW of Cape Clear o.v. Pepel to Cardiff with iron ore in SL89, 48 lost.
29.3.1942 TREDINNICK Torpedoed and sunk to SE of Bermuda o.v. New York to Bombay with military stores & general, 46 lost.
14.6.1942 BHUTAN Bombed and sunk to S of Pantellaria Island o.v. Alex¬andria to Malta with high explosives.
12.9.1942 TREVILLEY Torpedoed and sunk in S. Atlantic to N of St. Helena o.v. Tees & Oban to Table Bay & Beira with military stores.
4.11.1942 TREKIEVE Torpedoed and sunk to E of Lourenco Marques o.v. Bombay & Mahe to Durban & U.K. with manganese ore & general.
15.6.1942 BURDWAN Bombed and sunk to S of Pantellaria Island o.v. Gibraltar to Malta with ammunition and petrol.
2.8.1942 TREMINNARD Torpedoed and sunk to SE of Barbados o.v. Alexandria to Trinidad & Ciudad Trujillo via Durban in ballast.
8.8.1942 TREHATA Torpedoed and sunk to SE of Cape Farewell o.v. Hampton Roads to Manchester with steel and general, 31 lost.
30.11.1942 TREVALGAN Torpedoed and sunk SE of Trinidad o.v. Suez & Table Bay to Trinidad & New York in ballast.
28.12.1942 TREWORLAS Torpedoed and sunk to E of Trinidad o.v. Massowah to Baltimore with manganese ore, 38 lost.
5.3.1943 TREFUSIS Torpedoed and sunk to W of Cape Finisterre o.v. Pepel to London with iron ore in XK2.
28.11.1943 TREVORIAN Collision and sunk in North Sea o.v. Hull to the Mediterranean.
9.3.1944 BEHAR Shelled and sunk by Japanese cruiser TONE to SW of Cocos Islands o.v. Newcastle(NSW) and Melbourne to Bombay.

It had always been company policy to replace losses with newbuildings, but the rapid rate of loss during the war made this impracticable. Orders were placed for new tonnage, especially in 1942, but yard space was at a premium. As a result, the company entered into negotiations with the London shipowner J. and C. Harrison for the purchase of four motorships, all less than two years old. As a result, contracts were signed on 24th January 1944 for the purchase of HARLESDEN 7,273/43, HARPAGUS 7,271/42, HARPALYCE 7,269/42 and HARDINGHAM 7,269/42. Because of Ministry commitments, delivery of HARPALYCE and HARDINGHAM was considerably delayed as can be seen from the accompanying table. In addition, another Doxford motorship, REGISTAN 7,368/44, was purchased from Strick Line.

Vessel Contract Signed Delivered Cost
HARLESDEN 24.1.1944 18. 2.1944 £234,450
HARPAGUS 24.1.1944 16. 5.1944 £232,450
HARPALYCE 24.1.1944 30.11.1944 £231,450
HARDINGHAM 24.1.1944 13.12.1944 £229,450
REGISTAN 2.7.1945 9. 7.1945 £233,000

At the cessation of hostilities the company was left with a fleet of 11 vessels, all motorships. Although new tonnage was ordered, the opportunity was taken to bid for a number of Empire ships under the Ministry of Transport's Ship Disposal Scheme. Bids were placed for a total of six vessels, but only that for EMPIRE TILBURY at £250,000 was successful. She entered the fleet in March 1946 as TREVEAN. Doxford at Sunderland had earlier been given an order for a further four motorships of the TREWIDDEN type at an estimated price of £258,000 each. Within three months of the order it was decided to increase their engine size from three to four cylinders at an additional cost of £15,640 per ship. A backward step was taken in December 1946 when two steamships were ordered. This was the first order to be placed at the Readhead yard for 24 years, and a price of £310,000 each was agreed. A further steamship was ordered from William Hamilton early in 1948, but all three were soon to prove uneconomic and were disposed of to Pakistani owners within ten years of delivery.

Although the vessels permanently engaged on P&O services had all been lost in the war, tonnage was still chartered to that company when required. Late in 1950 it was agreed to sell three motorships to the P&O for approximately £112,000 each. The value had been written down for tax purposes and there was an agreement allowing Hain to repurchase them at a later date. Crewing and management was to remain in the hands of Hain. Consequently early in 1951 TRESILLIAN 7,368/44, TREVOSE 7,354/44 and TREVETHOE 7,355/44 were all registered under the ownership of The Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company. In 1956 a further four motorships were transferred; TREWORLAS 7,271/42, TREVELYAN 7,292/ 43, TREWELLARD 7,269/42 and TREVEAN 7,312/45. All were returned in 1958 with the exception of TRESILLIAN which had been lost in the North Atlantic in November 1954.

During 1957 Hain finalised plans for the closure of Roath Engineering Co. Ltd., their Cardiff subsidiary. This company had been formed in 1925 in association with R. & H. Green and Silley Weir, another P&O company, to carry out work afloat on their vessels. At that time Hain were regular users of the South Wales ports, and are reputed to have boasted that there was never a time when there was not a white H in the Bristol Channel. Many of their outward cargoes were fixed on the Cardiff Exchange and the office of Foster, Hain and Read at Salvage Buildings, Cardiff, was particularly busy. Since most of the fleet was using the port it was considered appropriate for the company to undertake their own minor repairs there. Drydocking and underwater work was however undertaken by outside contractors.
The works were located in Roath Dock, Cardiff, and consisted of a large machine shop, boiler shop, blacksmith's and coppersmith's shops. Until the War, Roath worked almost exclusively on Hain vessels, and little effort was made to secure outside contracts. With the outbreak of war things changed and the company started working for the Admiralty, especially on frigate overhauls. This work continued after the cessation of hostilities and was supplemented by considerable outside commercial work. A notable contract was the conversion of the Flower class corvette HYDRANGEA into the merchant HYDRALOCK. Hain vessels now rarely loaded coal in the port, but Roath was kept busy with major engine repairs on their vessels. All of the motorships were fitted with Doxford engines which after a few years gave considerable trouble on account of pitting. It was necessary to strip down the engines, remetal the bearings and machine the journals. This constituted a major overhaul and was carried out on virtually the entire fleet. The lifeboats for many of the newbuildings were also constructed by Roath. However, developments around the site, and out dated machinery, meant that the days of the company were limited, and in February 1957 the decision was taken to close down. Trading ceased on 4th February 1957 and all plant and stock was sold to C. H. Bailey Ltd.

Company profits throughout the early 1950s had been maintained at satisfactory levels and the fleet was fully employed. They were further helped in 1956 by the Suez crisis which provided a sudden and unexpected boost to freight rates. The financial year ending September 1957 saw profits of £1,094,678, an increase of almost 60% on the previous year. Confident of an improving freight market, a new construction programme was embarked upon, and by March 1957 seven new vessels had been ordered. Delivery was scheduled over the period 1957 to 1961 and the first to be completed TREMEADOW, was handed over to the company by Williarn Hamilton and Co. Ltd. at Princes Pier, Greenock on 29th January 1958. She was immediately chartered to Federal Steam Navigation Co. Ltd. of London for five years, proof that tonnage now being built for the fleet was more than suited for service on the liner trades.
Unfortunately in 1957 the freight market collapsed and by June 1958 the Board were concerned about the volume of tonnage on order. Negotiations were commenced with William Hamilton and John Readhead in an attempt to cancel or defer their newbuildings numbered 523 (Hamilton) and 604 and 609 (Readhead). Work on numbers 523 and 604 was found to be so advanced that cancellation or even deferral would cause serious problems. However an agreement was reached with Readhead to defer Yard No. 609 indefinitely for ultimate completion at a time satisfactory to Hain. At that time a completion date of 1963/64 was being considered. In addition to the steps taken above, the company started to book lay up berths, anticipating that a considerable proportion of the fleet would soon be without employment. The first two vessels, the steamships TREGOTHNAN and TREGENNA, were laid up at Milford Haven on 22nd May and 6th June 1958 respectively.
As freight rates fell ever lower efforts were made to dispose of some of the older units in the fleet. TREVETHOE of 1944 was the first to go, sold for £143,000 to Panamanian owners after a short period of lay up in the River Fal. By late 1958 most of the fleet was trading at a loss and a deficit for the year of over £300,000 was envisaged. Finances did not deteriorate to this extent however and the bottom was reached during the year ending September 1960 when the profit on voyages was only £32,704. Already signs of a slight improvement were in evidence and negotiations were recommenced with Readheads for the completion of Yard No. 609. The vessel, which had been ordered on 23rd November 1956, was restarted on 8th March 1960 as a fixed value contract priced at £ 1,100,000 with delivery scheduled for September 1961. She was to be completed as TREFUSIS. During 1960 what were to be the final vessels in the Hain fleet were ordered. Two of these orders went to the Readhead yard at South Shields and marked the end of Hain's very long association with that builder. The third TRENEGLOS went to William Hamilton, and although launched for Hain, she was on completion registered in the ownership of another P&O subsidiary, the New Zealand Shipping Co. Ltd.

Freight rates remained at very low levels throughout the early 1960s and prompted the main P&O Board to undertake a detailed review of all their shipping operations. The conclusion was reached that there was not much of a future for general tramp shipping under the British flag. As such vessels were amongst the cheapest and simplest to operate, it was foreseen that the newly developing nations would be anxious to acquire them and so create considerable competition. In addition, the bulk carrier was seizing much of the traditional tramp business. As a first step, the fleet was amalgamated for operational purposes with that of fellow P&O subsidiary James Nourse Ltd. of London. A new management company Hain Nourse Management Ltd. was registered on 29th January 1964 and became responsible for the operation of the Hain and Nourse fleets. On 1 st July 1964 all shore and seagoing staff were transferred to the employment of that company. Further restructuring took place in 1965 when the fleet and trades of Nourse were finally transferred to Hain. In consequence, The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. was renamed Hain¬Nourse Ltd. on 1st October 1965. In addition to the Nourse fleet, that of the Asiatic Steam Navigation Co. Ltd. was also acquired. The new company also took over the management of two bulk carriers, ATHERSTONE and BUCCLEUCH, which were registered with other group companies. Further bulk carriers were to follow in 1966.

The developments envisaged in the aforementioned P&O review became reality in the latter years of the decade. Competition from the developing nations coupled with the rapid growth of free flag fleets made further reorganisation inevitable. In the matter of a few years the container had revolutionised the liner trades and the days of the large liner fleets were numbered. In common with most other British operators, P&O elected to join one of the new consortia being formed in order to share the high cost of container ships and equipment. They therefore became a significant shareholder in Overseas Containers Ltd., and were in 1986 to acquire complete control of the company.
The reorganisation of the early 1960s (which included combining P&O and Orient passenger operations and setting up a specialist tanker company, Trident Tankers Ltd., as well as the Hain Nourse merger) now led to the total reorganisation of the P&O Group along lines suggested by management consultants McKinsey and Co. early in 1971. The steady introduction of the
new container ships meant a surplus of general cargo ships and reorganisation into operating divisions was commenced. Four principal shipping divisions were formed, these being:

1. P&O Bulk Shipping Division. This was to include the bulk carriers formerly
managed by Hain Nourse Ltd., the tankers and gas carriers of Trident Tankers Ltd. plus bulk shipping
registered under other P&O subsidiaries.
2. P&O General Cargo Division. In time this was to include all general cargo vessels in the subsidiary fleets, and was to include the last of the former Hain TRE boats.
3. European and Air Transport. Its Short Sea Shipping sector included the former Coast Lines and General Steam fleets and similar vessels.
4. P&O Passenger Division. To include the passenger and cruise liners.

Over the next few years all the former Hain Nourse fleet was to be registered in the ownership of the P&O Steam Navigation Company, and for a time the former owning company lay dormant. It was to be briefly revived in 1975 when the new 4,000 ton ro/ro ships BISON and BUFFALO were introduced. However the name no longer seemed appropriate and was soon changed to P&O Ferries Ltd., and as such still exists today, owning ships employed on services between Scotland and Orkney and Shetland.
So disappeared one of the great names of British tramp shipping, almost 100 years after the introduction of their first steamship TREWIDDEN. It is perhaps fitting that when the company identity was finally lost in 1972, there was still a TREWIDDEN in the fleet. The fifth vessel of that name, she was to be sold before she could be given one of the P&O STRATH names, and therefore never lost her Hain identity whilst under the British flag.

SOURCES
Hain of St. Ives, K. O'Donoghue and A. Appleyard, WSS, 1986.
Travel of the Tramps, twenty Tramp fleets Vol. III, N.L. Middlemiss, Shield Publication, 1992.

Last edited by maritiem : 12th July 2009 at 11:04. Reason: Sources
Old 12th July 2009, 11:06

FLEET LIST NOTES
The notation (1), (2) after a ship's name indicates that she is the first, the second etc, ship of that name in the fleet. The dates following the name are those of entering and leaving the fleet, or coming under and leaving the management of the company. The histories are in chronological order according to acquisition (where known) or to the date of launch for newly built ships.
On the first line is given the ship's Official Number (O.N.) in the British Registry, followed by her tonnages (g) and net (n). Dimensions given are registered length x beam x depth in feet and tenths The dimensions given for ships after TREMEADOW (1957) are the overall length x beam x draught at summer deadweight in feet and inches. In addition, the overall length (o.l.) has been given for some of the earlier ships where shown in the Register. The notation B.B. indicates that the overall length is inclusive of the ship's bulbous bow
On the second line is given the type and make of engine and the name of the engine builders except ships built by Wm. Doxford and fitted with Doxford diesels. In these cases the statement is limited to ... oil engine by the shipbuilder. T.3 cyl. denotes triple expansion three cylinder steam engines, C.2 cyL denotes compound two cylinder steam engines, Q.4 cyl denotes quadruple expansion four cylinder steam engines and for motor vessels the number of cylinders is given and whether they are two stroke cycle (2.S.C.), single acting (S.A.) or (D.A.) double acting.

FLEET LIST
SAILING SHIPS

DASHER (1816 1841)
Fishing Lugger, 17 registered tons. 39.0 x 10.8 x 6.1 feet.
1816: Launched at St. Ives for Edward Hain, Michael Welch and Matthew Daniel. 2.12.1825: Transferred to Edward Hain and Michael Welch. 3.3.1841: Sold to James Paynter, St. Ives. 13.3.1865.. Registry closed and vessel broken up.

CAMILLA (1838 1851)
Schooner. 131g 14n. 7 1.0 x 18.2 x 11. 1 feet.
1826: Launched by Hill, Plymouth, for Phillips. 1828: Sold to Douglas. 1830: Sold to Bolitho and Co., Penzance. 17.2.1838: Purchased by Edward Hain and Co. 9.1851: When entering Bute Docks, Cardiff, jammed against the schooner VENUS 123/27 and sank. Refloated on the next tide, but found to be beyond economical repair and sold to London shipbreakers.

MYSTERY (1850 1860)
Schooner. O.N. 8458. 114n. 75.2 x 17.6 x 11.1 feet.
21.11.1850: Launched by Hoad Brothers, Rye, for Hain and Son. 20.4 1860: Driven ashore on Porthgwidden Beach, Cornwall, when on passage from Swansea to Smyrna. She was declared a total loss, stripped of her cargo and fittings and broken up.

BOHEMIAN GIRL (1852 1860)
Schooner. O.N. 19349. 175g. 157n. 76.0 x 18.8 x 12.1 feet.
1843: Launched by White, Waterford, for Ogilby and Co., London. 1849: Sold to Newson and Co., London. 15.3.1852: Purchased by Edward Hain. 13.11.1859: In collision with an unidentified brig off the Portuguese coast whilst on a voyage from Genoa and Gallipoli to Hull with a cargo of oil. She was abandoned by her crew, but later taken in tow to Corunna where 10. 1860 she was sold to meet salvage expenses to Fox, Sons and Co., Plymouth. 1874: Sold to Short and Co., Plymouth. 1875: Owners restyled Marshall and Short. 1887: Sold to Stuart McGiffen, Carrickfergus. 1890: Sold to Frederic Lowes, Swansea. 3.1893.. Sold to Peter Garriock, Lerwick. 2 7.10.1899: Sailed from Sunderland for Wick with a cargo of coal. Wreckage was subsequently washed ashore on the island of Whalsay, but no subsequent news of the vessel was received.

GLYNN (1857 1882)
Brigantine. O.N. 17567. 138n. 92.0 x 21.3 x 12,1 feet. 22.7.
1857: Launched by Hoad Brothers, Rye, for Edward Hain. 1864: Registered under J. Hain and Co. 1875: Returned to Edward Hain. 1882: Sold to W. Walles, Cardiff. 11.9.1885: Wrecked in the Lelant Estuary when on passage from Cardiff to Cherbourg with a cargo of coal.

EMILY (1861 1882)
Brigantine. O.N. 29590. 161g, 145n. 96.6 x 22.6 x 12.6 feet.
12.3.1861: Launched by Hoad Brothers, Rye, for Edward Hain and Co. 1882: Sold to William C. Phillips, Port Isaac, Cornwall. 11.6.1888: Sank in the River Scheldt following a collision with the steamship MANITOBA, 2,127/87, when on passage from Teignmouth to Antwerp.

MARGARET HAIN (1866 1889)
Brigantine.
O.N. 52863. 170n. 100.6 x 23.9 x 12.9 feet.2.1.1866: Launched by Hoad Brothers, Rye, for Edward Hain and Co. 27.2.1889: Wrecked at Saffi.

ARETHUSA (1868 1874)
Barque. O.N. 19358. 220n. 112.2 x 23.1 x 14.0 feet.
8.1.1852: Launched by W. Bayley, Ipswich, for A. Williams, London. 1854: Sold to William Bolitho, Penzance. 22. 7. 1868 Purchased by Edward Hain and Co. 27.4.1874: Sank following a collision in dense fog with the steamship CINGALESE, 1,299/70, off Cape Finisterre, whilst on a voyage from Smyrna to Nantes with a cargo of dried fruit. There were only two survivors.

A. D.GILBERT (1872 1886)
Schooner O.N. 51313. 177n. 108.0 x 23.5 x 12.5 feet.
10.1865: Launched by Hodge, Truro, for William Hodge, Truro. 7.1872: Purchased by Edward
Hain and Co. 28.10.1886: Stranded off Chipiona Light, Spain, and became a total loss. 6.11.1886:The hull was sold at auction and broken up.

JANIE BANFIELD (1874 1875)
Topsail schooner. O.N. 49989. 190 registered tons. 108.8 x 25.1 x 12.6 feet.
10. 1866: Launched by Stribley, Padstow, for John Harvey Trevithick, Hayle. 8.11.1866 Completed. 20.4.1874: Purchased by Edward Hain. 17.3.1875: Wrecked on the island Of Nicero.

KESTREL (1875 1880)
Schooner. O.N. 65344. 158g, 151n. 102.6 x 22.0 x 11.9 feet.
10.10.1874: Launched by Henry S. Trethowan, Falmouth, for E. Pope, Falmouth. 1875: Sold to Hall and Co., Bristol. 1875: Purchased by Edward Hain. 1880: Sold to J. Munn and Co., Newfoundland and 1892 registered under Robert Stewart Munn. Upon his death, registered under his trustees, John F. Apsey and Alfred G. Smith, who on 14.6.1895 sold the vessel to Robert Ehlers, Bristol. 31.7.1895: Sold to George Kearon, Arklow, but Canadian registry retained. 1899: Transferred to John F. Storey, Arklow. 10. 1916: Sold to John William Kingston (John Carter, manager), Poole. 14.3.1918: Wrecked on the Pipette Rocks, Minquiers, when on a voyage from Fowey to St. Malo with china clay.

T.S.B. (1877 1882)
Iron Barquentine. O.N. 81673. 1513g, 973n. 249.0 x 36,1 x 17.5 feet.
29.10.1877: Launched by Harvey and Co., Hayle, for Edward Hain. 1882: Sold to Thomas C. Guthrie, Glasgow, and renamed PENPONT. 1890: Sold to James de V. Le Couteur, Germany (Glasgow registry retained). 19.9.1894: Wrecked 20 miles N. of Rio Grande Bar, when on passage from Rangoon to Rio Janeiro. Her crew was rescued.

STEAM AND MOTORSHIPS

TREWIDDEN (1) (1878 1891)
O.N. 67899. 1271g, 824n. 240.0 x 32.1 x 17.9 feet. C. 2 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
26.11.1878: Launched by J. Readhead and Co., South Shields (Yard No. 146), for Edward Hain and Son. 1891: Sold to Vagliano Bros., Greece, and renamed ADELPHI. 1893: Sold to G. L. Vatis, Greece. 27.2.1896: Wrecked opposite Messina, at Brancalenoe, Calabria.

TREGENNA (I) (1880 1892)
O.N. 67900. 1332g, 864n. 245.0 x 32.7 x 18.0 feet. C. 2 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
13.1.1880 Launched by J. Readhead and Co., South Shields (Yard No. 156), for Edward Hain and Son. 16.1.1892: Sold to David Russell, Alfred Tennant Miller and David Huskie, Leith. 9.2.1892: Registered under The Steamship Tregenna Co. Ltd. (Russell, Miller and Huskie, managers). 1897: Sold to Tregenna Steamship Co. Ltd. (Miller and Richards, managers), Glasgow. 29.11.1898: Sold to Steamship Ashgrove Co. Ltd. (Alexander and Arthurs, managers), Glasgow. 7.3.1900: Sold to Robson Brown and Sons Ltd., Sunderland. 1920: Sold to Soc. Anon. de Gerance at d'Armement, France, and renamed CAP LA HEVE. 1923: Sold to Rederi Aktieb. Carrie (G. F.Persson, manager), Sweden, and renamed CARRIE. 1925: Sold to Rederi Aktieb. Cecil; same manager. 1933 Sold to shipbreakers.

TREVILLEY (1) (1881 1895)
O.N. 81672. 1275g, 810n. 245.8 x 32.7 x 18.0 feet. C. 2 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
4.1881: Launched by J. Readhead and Co., South Shields (Yard No. 169), for Edward Hain and Son. 11.5.1881: Ran trials. 1895: Sold to B. Repetto, Italy, and renamed MARIQUITA. 1900: Sold toW. S. Miller and Co., Glasgow, and renamed TREVILLEY. 28.9.1901: Sailed from Castro, Spain, for Glasgow with a cargo of iron ore and disappeared.

TRENEGLOS (1) (1882 1883)
O.N. 78079. 289g, 276n. 137.4 x 26.2 x 12.5 feet. C. 2 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
4.2.1882: Launched by J. Readhead and Co., South Shields (Yard No. 178), for Edward Hain and Son. 30.7.1883: Wrecked on Bridge Rock, Limerick, whilst on a voyage from Galatz to Limerick. Salvage was attempted and approximately 700 tons of her cargo of maize was discharged before the hull broke in two and sank in deep water.

TREKIEVE (1) (1883 1897)
O.N. 81676. 1489g, 939n. 259,0 x 36.1 x 17.6 feet. C.2 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
26.4.1883: Launched by J. Readhead and Co., South Shields (Yard No. 193), for Edward Hain and Son. 31.7.1897: Wrecked at Connah's Quay whilst on a voyage from Carthagene to Mostyn with a cargo of iron ore. She broke in two and was declared a total loss.

TRELYON (1) (1882 1895)
O.N. 81674. 14289, 897n. 249.0 x 36.1 x 17.5 feet. C. 2 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
12.8.1882: Launched by J. Readhead and Co., South Shields (Yard No. 184), for Edward Hain and Son. 4.9.1895: Sold to Cairnlyon S.S. Co. Ltd. (Cairns, Young and Noble, managers), Newcastle and renamed CAIRNLYON. 1901: Transferred to Cairnglen S.S. Co. Ltd. (same managers). 1903: Managers restyled as Cairns, Noble and Co. 1912: Sold to Rederiaktieb. Anglos (A. Johnsson, manager), Sweden, and renamed ELSIE. 1916: Management transferred to Carl Norrthon. 19 18: Sold to Rederiaktieb. H. Modin (H. Modin, manager), Sweden. 1920: Sold to John Bohman, Sweden. 1923: Sold to Rederi. Aktieb. Elsie (J. Holmstrom, manager), Sweden. 1935: Sold to Rederi Aktieb. Fram (Algot Johansson, manager), Finland. 12.11.1939: Wrecked off Terschelling whilst on a voyage from Viipuri to Zaandarn with a cargo of timber.

TREVOSE (1) (1882 1895)
O.N. 81675. 1493g, 941n. 259.5 x 36.0 x 17.5 feet. C.2 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
24.10.1882: Launched by J. Readhead and Co., South Shields (Yard No. 187), for Edward Hain and Son. 1895: Sold to Fratelli Sanguineti fu G., Italy and renamed ANGELA. 1911: Sold to live Soc. Anon. con Sede in Genova, Italy. 1919: Sold to Lloyd Mediterraneo Societa Italians di Nav., Italy. 1924: Sold to Gio. Batte Bibolini, Italy and renamed PERTUSOLA. 1951: Sold to Navigazione Sardera S.A., Italy. 1954: Sold to Cantieri di Portovenere and 17.12.1954 arrived at La Spezia to be broken up.

TREVIDER (1) (1883 1898)
O.N. 81677. 1538g, 974n. 259.5 x 36.1 x 17.8 feet. C.2 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
29.10.1883: Launched by J. Readhead and Co., South Shields (Yard No. 200), for Edward Hain and Son. 1885: Transferred to Trevider Steamship Co. Ltd. (Edward Hain and Son, managers). 13.1.1898: Sold to Gaelic Steamships Ltd. (Cairns, Young and Noble, managers), Newcastle and renamed CAIRNBAHN. 1903: Managers restyled as Cairns, Noble and Co. 1913: Transferred to Cairn Line of Steamships Ltd. (same managers). 1913: Sold to Rederi Aktieb. Hebe (C. W. von Liewen, manager), Sweden and renamed IGOR. 1917: Sold to Rederi Aktieb. lgor (L. Norstrom, manager), Sweden. 1918: Sold to Aktieb. Svenska Amerika Mexico Line (Dan Brostrom, manager), Sweden. 17.9.1918: Foundered about 10 miles S. of Longstone Light whilst on a voyage from Gothenburg to Hull with a cargo of timber and woodpulp.

TRELOSKE (1) (1884 1897)
O.N. 81678. 1548g, 98On. 259.0 x 36.1 x 17.6 feet. C.2 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
28.2.1884: Launched by J. Readhead and Co., South Shields (Yard No. 205), for Edward Hain and Son. 1889: Transferred to Treloske Steamship Co. Ltd. (Edward Hain and Son, managers). 20.12.1897: Sold to G. P. Cutting and Co., South Shields and 1898 renamed PEARL. 1911: Sold to Akties. Tordenvore (Lundegaard & Stray, managers), Norway and renamed TORDENVORE. 9.6.1917: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine UC53, S.W. of Cape Finisterre in a position 42.30 N, 09.08 W.

TREVELLOE (1884 1894)
O.N. 81679. 1646g, 1062n. 259.5 x 36.2 x 17.6 feet. C.2-cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
3.1894: Launched by J. Readhead and Co., South Shields (Yard No. 206), for Edward Hain and Son. 1889: Transferred to Trevelloe Steamship Co. Ltd. (Edward Hain and Son, managers). 9.1.1894: Stranded in heavy weather at the entrance to the harbour at Sulina, whilst on a voyage from Cardiff to Sulina with a cargo of coal. Declared a constructive total loss, she was eventually refloated 1.6.1894 and towed into port. 1. 7.1894: Sold for £5,300 to Theophilatos Bros., Greece and renamed ODYSSEUS. 1897: Sold to F. Carnevali, Italy and renamed ODISSEO. 1897: Renamed UMBRIA. 1899: Sold to Sociedad Hullera Espanola, Spain and renamed HULLERA ESPANOLA. 4.1.1902: Sank 100 miles S. of Cape Finisterre following a collision with the British steamship ALFONSO 1.325/78, whilst on a voyage from Aviles to Barcelona with a cargo of coal.

TRENEGLOS (2) (1886 1905)
O.N 91342. 1559g, 992n. 259.0 x 36.2 x 17.7 feet. C.2 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
3.1885: Launched by J. Readhead and Co., South Shields (Yard No. 213), for Edward Hain and Son. 1901: Transferred to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 27.9.1905: Sold for £8,000 to Rederiaktieb. Karnan (B. Ingelsson, manager), Sweden and renamed NORMA. 26.3.1917: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U169 in the English Channel, 8 miles S.E. of lle de la Vierge, whilst on a voyage from Dakar to Dunkirk.

TREVEAN (1) (1885 1899)
O.N. 91343. 1567g, 999n. 259.0 x 36.1 x 17.8 feet. C.2 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
17.4.1885: Launched by J. Readhead and Co., South Shields (Yard No. 214), for Edward Hain and Son. 14.11.1899: Wrecked near St. Nazaire whilst on a voyage from Cardiff to St. Nazaire with a cargo of coal. Much of the cargo was discharged into lighters.

TREMAYNE (1) (1886 1905)
O.N. 91344. 1578g, 997n. 259.0 x 36,0 x 17.9 feet. C.2 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
17.6.1886: Launched by J. Readhead and Co., South Shields (Yard No. 222), for Edward Hain and Son. 1901: Transferred to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 18.4.1905: Sold for £8,250 to Rederiaktieb. Helios (J. Pettersson, manager), Sweden and renamed HELIOS. 1914: Sold to Rederiaktieb. Polaris (same managers), Sweden. 1916: Sold to Rederiaktieb. Helios (R. Gohle, manager), Sweden. 1922: Sold to Rederiaktieb. Nordsjoen i Helsingborg (A.T. Jonasson, manager) Sweden. 1931: Management transferred to M. Jonasson. 1936. Sold to Rederi Aktieb. Helny (A. Abraharnsson, manager), Finland and renamed HELNY. 1942: Sold to Rederi Aktieb. Eystrasalt (E. Dunér, manager), Sweden and renamed FRIGG. 28.4.1944. Sank off Kiel after striking a wreck whilst on a voyage from Emden to Sundsvall with a cargo of coke.

TRELAWNY (1) (1888 1905)
O.N. 91345. 1658g, 1047n. 259.0 x 36,0 x 17.9 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
30.1.1888: Launched by J. Readhead and Co., South Shields (Yard No. 232), for Edward Hain and Son. 5.3.1888: Ran trials. 1901: Transferred to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 30.8.1905: Sold for £9,000 to G.& D. Domestinis, Greece and renamed IOANNIS DOMESTINIS. 1907: Sold to Bank of Athens (K Hadjipateras, manager), Greece and remaned LEANDROS. 1913: Sold to C. Hadiipateras and N. & D. Pateres, Greece. 25.8.1916.. Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U38 100 miles E. of Barcelona, in a position 41.52 N, 04.07 E whilst on a voyage from Cardiff to Genoa.

TREWAVAS (1888 1892)
O.N. 91346. 1682g, 1054n. 259.0 x 36.1 x 17.9 feet. T.3cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
23.7.1888: Launched by J. Readhead and Co., South Shields (Yard No. 239), for Edward Hain and Son. 27.8.1888: Ran trials. 16.1.1892: Sailed from Cardifffor Kingston, Jamaica with a cargo of coal and disappeared.

TREWELLARD (1) (1889 1913)
O.N. 91347. 2269g, 1452n. 290.0 x 39.0 x 18,8 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
4.3.1889: Completed by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 246), for Edward Hain and Son. 1901: Transferred to The Hain Steemship Co. Ltd.29.7.1913: Sold for £11,000 to D. B. Corpi, Italy and renamed ANTONIO DI PADOVA. 8.12.1913: Sailed from Zoungouledak, Turkey for Genoa, via Heraclea, with a cargo of wheat and disappeared.

TREVORIAN (1) (1889 1910)
O.N. 91348. 2270g, 1443n. 290.0 x 39.0 x 18.8 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
30.3.1889: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 247), for Edward Hain and Son. 29.4.1889: Ran trials. 1901: Transferred to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 25.1.1910: Foundered in the Bay of Biscay whilst on a voyage from Berry to Taranto with a cargo of coal.

TREGLISSON (1) (1889 1911)
O.N. 91349. 2273g, 1461n. 290.2 x 39.1 x 18.8 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
31.8.1889: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 252), for Edward Hain and Son. 10. 1889: Completed. 1901: Transferred to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 28.10.1911: Sold for £6,000 to Compagnie des Chargeurs Francais (Plisson at Cie., managers), France and renamed HENDAYE. 1926: Sold to Benvenuto & Mortola, Italy and renamed AQUILA. 1926: Renamed REGULUS. 1928: Sold to shipbreakers.

TREVALGAN (1) (1890 1911)
O.N. 98241. 2420g, 1567n. 290.5 x 40.0 x 19.8 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
18.2.1890: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 257), for Edward Hain and Son. 15.3.1890: Ran trials. 1901: Transferred to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 10.5.1911: Sold for £7,000 to Compania del Vapor Charito (Uribarri & Echevarria, managers), Spain and renamed CHARITO. 1915: Sold to Jose do Uribarri, Spain. 1916: Sold to Altos Homos do Vizcaye S.A. Spain and renamed FAUSTINO R. SAN PEDRO. 28. Z 1936: Requisitioned by Republican forces for service during the Spanish Civil War. 11.6.1937: In collision with the steamship MARIA AMALIA 744/18 off Santander whilst on a voyage from Gijon to Bilbao with coal. She was beached near Conejera Inlet at the entrance to Suances in a position 43.26 N, 04,02 W and subsequently sank.

TRESILLIAN (1) (1890 1896)
O.N. 98242. 2429g, 1570n. 290.5 x 40.0 x 19.8 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
19.3.1890. Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 258), for Edward Hain and Son. 4.1890: Completed. 22.1.1896: Wrecked at Hisipezza near Otranto, Italy whilst on a voyage from Cardiff to Brincdsi with a cargo of coal. The salvage steamer BERGER WILHELM was despatched from Piraeus to assist, but by 27.2.1896 the funnel and bridge were reported washed overboard and the hatch comings and decks stove in. Subsequently abandoned as a total loss.

TREVAYLOR (1)( 1890 1911)
O.N 98243. 2426g, 1572n. 290.4 x 40.0 x 19.8 feet. T.3-cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
20.5.1890: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 260), for Edward Hain and Son. 15.7.1890: Ran trials. 1901: Transferred to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 23.5.1911: Sold for £6,250 to Cosmettos & Filicos, Greece and renamed SIFNOS. 1915.. Sold to D/S A/S Fjoesanger (Frimann & Pedersen, managers), Norway and renamed HALLINGDAL. 1916: Sold to A/S D/S Hamlet (H. Thomsen, manager), Denmark and renamed AMLETH. 1917. Sold to A/S D/S Orion (C. P. Jensen, manager), Denmark. 1920: Renamed POLARIS. 1928: Sold to Rederi Aktieb. Iris (C. Abrahamsen, manager), Sweden. 1956: Sold to C. Persson & Son, Sweden, and 30.5.1956 arrived at Ystad to be broken up.

TREGURNO (1) (1891 1911)
O.N. 98244. 2432g, 1564n. 290.0 x 40.0 x 19.9 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
18.8.1891: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 274), for Edward Hain and Son. 17.9.1891: Ran trials. 1901: Transferred to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 10.3.1911: Sold for £8,000 to Pandeli Bros., Greece and renamed PANDELIS. 1918: Taken over by The Shipping Controller (Galbraith, Pembroke and Co., managers). 1920: Returned to owners. 1934: Sold to Mme. Mexandra Pappadopoulou, Greece and renamed HELLAS. 1934: Sold to Italian shipbreakers.

TREVANION (1) 1891 – 1911)
O.N. 98245. 2437g, 1566n. 290.0 x 40.1 x 19.9 feet. T.3-cyl. By the Shipbuilder.
1Z 10. 7637: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 276) for Edward Hain and Son.
11. 1891: Completed. 1901: Transferred to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 27.9.1911: Sold for £7,700 to N. M. Emiris, Greece and renamed MICHAIL. 1912: Sold to J. Trofirnoff, Greece. 1916: Registered under A. M. Emiris & J. Trofirnoff, Greece. 25.10.1916: Sailed from Cardiff for the Azores and after passing the Lizard on 1. 11. 1916 disappeared.

TREWIDDEN (2) (1891 1916)
O.N. 98246. 2613g, 1683n. 298.5 x 40.1 x 20.1 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
30.12.1891: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 278), for Edward Hain and Son. 2.1892: Completed. 1901: Transferred to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 4.9.1915: Sold for £29,000 to Gart S.S. Co. Ltd. (Whimster and Co., managers), Glasgow and renamed GARTLAND. 3.1.1918: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine UB30, 5 miles E.S.E. from Owers Light.

TREGENNA (2) (1892 1915)
O.N. 98248. 2623g, 1691n. 298.4 x 40.1 x 20.1 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
11.2.1892: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 279), for Edward Hain and Son. 21.4.1892: Ran trials. 1901: Transferred to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 15.10.1915: Sold for £31,000 to Stathe S.S. Co. Ltd. (John Sidney Rees, manager), Cardiff and renamed STATHE. 26.9.1916: Captured by the German submarine U35 and sunk by gunfire 50 miles E. by S. from Barcelona. She was on a voyage from Penarth to Leghorn with a cargo of coal.

TREFUSIS (1) (1893 1917)
O.N. 98249. 2642g, 1708n. 299.0 x 40.1 x 20.6 feet. T.3 cyl by the Shipbuilder.
13.3.1893. Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 288), for Edward Hain and Son.
4.1893: Completed. 1901: Transferred to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 7.4.1917. Captured by the German submarine U65, 30 miles S.E. of Cape Pula, Sardinia, and sunk by explosive charges in position 56.30 N, 32.14 W. She was on a voyage from Cardiff to Alexandria with a cargo of coal.

TREVELYAN (1) (1894 1918)
O.N. 98250. 3066g, 1986n. 321,5 x 41.5 x 21.8 feet. T.3 cyl by the Shipbuilder.
21.3.1894: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 295), for Edward Hain and Son.
4.1894: Completed. 1901: Transferred to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 19.12.1917: Torpedoed and damaged by a German submarine 20 miles N. of Cap Barfleur, France whilst on a voyage from Rouen to Berry. Beached and declared a total loss. 5.4. 1918: Sold for £80,000 to Sicilia Soc. di Nav., Italy, salved and repaired at Cherbourg. 1919: Renamed ESPERIA. 1920: Sold to Soc. Anon. di Nav. Orientale, Italy. 1924: Sold to Italian shipbreakers and broken up at Genoa.

TREVETHOE (1) (1895 1911)
O.N. 104671. 2097g, 1344n. 284.3 x 39.0 x 16.8 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
28.3.1895: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 305), for Edward Hain and Son. 6.5.1895: Ran trials. 1901: Transferred to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 2 7.3.1911: Sold for £9,300 to Akties. D/S. Erviken (J. Christensen, manager), Norway and renamed ERVIKEN. 1912: Management transferred to Wallem and Co. 1915: Management transferred to H.J. Wallem. 25.10.1917: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U64 off Cabo de Gate, Spain, whilst on a voyage from San Reggio to Seville.

TREVARRACK (1) (1895 1914)
O.N. 104672. 2098g, 1344n. 284.3 x 39.0 x 16.8 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
30.4.1895: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 306), for Edward Hain and Son.
28.5.1895: Ran trials. 1901: Transferred to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 27.6.1914: Sold for £11,000 to Rederiaktiab. Rekord (A L. NiIsson, manager), Sweden and renamed IRIS. 25.12.1917: Wrecked off the Longsands, Essex whilst on a voyage from Gothenburg to Rouen with general cargo.

TREVOSE (2) (1896 1917)
O.N. 104673. 3112g, 1995n. 323.5 x 47.1 x 22.6 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
18.3.1896: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 314), for Trevose Steamship Co. Ltd. (Edward Hain and Son, managers). 4.1896: Completed. 1901: Transferred to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 18.3.1917: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U81, 230 miles W. by N. ½ N. from Ushant whilst outward bound from the River Tyne with a cargo of coal.

TREVILLEY (2) (1897 1911)
O.N. 104674. 3112g, 1983n. 323.0 x 47.1 x 22.8 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
1.3.1897: Launched by J. Readheed and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 322), for Trevilley Steamship Co. Ltd. (Edward Hain and Son, managers). 30.3.1897: Ran trials. 1901: Transferred to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 20.1.1911: Seriously damaged in collision with the German steamship SANTA LUCIA 4,238/07 off Krankeloon in the River Scheldt. A large hole was torn in her port side and she was beached to avoid sinking. 11.2.1911: Refloated and towed to Siberia Dock for drydocking. She had been on a voyage from Bourgas to Antwerp with grain. Repairs were considered uneconomical and sold 31.3.1911 for 127,500 Belgian Francs to Antwerp Engineering Co. Ltd., Belgium. 7.1911: Sold to Anglo Ionian S.S. Co. Ltd. ( A.A. Embiricos & Co., managers), Greece and renamed SALAMINIA . 1917: Sold to Embiricos & Drosopulos Maritime Co. Ltd., Greece. 1917: Sold to Hellenic Shipowning Co. Ltd., Greece. 29.3.1918: Torpedoed and sunk off Anglesey in a Position 53 .27N, 05.32W.

TRELYON (2) (1897 1917)
O.N. 104675. 3099g, 1990n. 323.0 x 47.0 x 22.5 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
25.11.1897: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No, 329), for Trelyon Steamship Co. Ltd., (Edward Hain and Son, managers).
26.1.1898: Ran trials. 1901: Transferred to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 21.7.1917: Mined 3 miles N. of Scarborough whilst on a voyage from Archangel, Russia, to the U.K. with a cargo of timber. Beached at White Nab, Scarborough and became a total loss.

TREKIEVE (2) (1898 1917)
O.N. 104676. 3087g, 1983n. 323.0 x 47.1 x 22.6 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
4.6.1898: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 332), for Trekieve Steamship Co. Ltd., (Edward Hain and Son, managers). 23.7. 1898: Ran trials. 1901: Transferred to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 18.4.1917 Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U35, 100 miles W. of Gibraltar whilst on a voyage from Cardiff to Gibraltar with Government cargo.

TRESILLIAN (2) (1899 1924)
O.N. 104677. 3585g, 2309n. 341.0 x 46.7 x 26.0 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
27.7.1899: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 341), for Tresillian Steamship Co. Ltd., (Edward Hain and Son, managers). 8.1899: Completed. 1901: Transferred to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 9.4.1924: Sold to Monument Steam Navigation Co. Ltd., London and renamed YORKHILL. 1926: Sold to Naigai Kisen K.K., Japan and renamed TAISEI MARU. 5.6.1944: Sunk in a collision off Komoi Cape, Hokkaido, Japan.

TREVESSA (1) (1899 1920)
O.N. 104678. 3566g, 2296n. 341.0 x 46,7 x 26.0 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
6.9.1899: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 342), for Trevessa Steamship Co. Ltd., (Edward Hain and Son, managers). 10. 1899: Completed. 1901: Transferred to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 28.8.1920: Sold for £90,000 to Sociedad Nacional de Buclues y Maderas, Chile and renamed MIRAMAR. 9.6.1926: Wrecked at Valparaiso during a severe gale.

TREVIDER (2) (1902 1911)
O.N.115641. 3082g, 1990n. 323.0 x 47.0 x 23.6 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
6.8.1902: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 363), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 8.9.1902: Ran trials. 28.4.1911: Wrecked off Cabo Villano, Spain, whilst on a voyage from Newport, Mon. to Palermo with a cargo of coal.

TRELOSKE (2) (1902 1917)
O.N. 115642. 3071g, 1976n. 323.0 x 47.0 x 23.7 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
6.9.1902: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 364), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 9.10.1902: Ran trials. 29.8.1917 Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U93, 145 miles N. by W. ¾ W. from Cape Finisterre whilst on a voyage from Barry to Spezia with a cargo of coal.

TREVEAN (2) (1902 - 1917)
O.N. 115643. 3081g, 1989n. 323.0 x 47.1 x 23.7 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
15.10.1902: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 365), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 17.11.1902: Ran trials. 22.1.1917 Captured by the German submarine U57 and sunk by bombs 240 miles S.W. by W. from Fastnet. She was on a voyage from Benisaf, Algeria, to the River Tyne with a cargo of iron ore.

TREGANTLE (1) (1902 1916)
O.N. 115644. 3091g, 1991n. 323.0 x 47.1 x 23.7 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
17.11.1902: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 366), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
17.1.1903 Ran trials. 22.4.1916: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine UB16, 11 miles E.S.E. from Corton Light Vessel whilst on a voyage from Galveston and Norfolk, Virginia, to Hull with a cargo of wheat.

TREWYN (1) (1903 1916)
O.N.115645. 3084g, 1989n. 323.0 x 47.1 x 23.7 feet. T. 3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
15.1.1903: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 367), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 9.3.1903: Ran trials. 25.3.1916: Passed Gibraltar whilst on a voyage from Algiers to Middlesbrough with a cargo of iron ore and subsequently disappeared. On 1.4.1916 a lifebuoy and other wreckage was sighted, but no survivors.

TREGOTHNAN (1) (1903 1923)
O.N. 115646. 3075g, 1983n. 323.0 x 47.1 x 23.7 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
12.3.1903: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 368), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 20.4.1903: Ran trials.1.8.1923 Sold to Strick Line (1923) Ltd. (F. C. Strick and Co. Ltd., managers), London.
1926: Transferred to The Dwina Ltd. (same managers), London. 1928: Sold to S.A.M. Killingbeck (M. Xydia manager), Egypt. 1932: Sold to Samy Khouri (Costi Xydia & Son, managers), Egypt. 1935 Sold to Basile Sapovelos, Greece. 1939: Sold to Palestine Transport and Shipping Co. Ltd. (N. W. Purvis, manager), Palestine, and renamed HAIFA TRADER. 1941: Sold to Irish Shipping Ltd., Eire, and renamed IRISH LARCH. 1949: Sold to Mehmet Hilmi Daregenli Sirketi, Turkey, and renamed SABAH. 1950 Registered under Hilmi Daregenli, Turkey. 1952: Registered under Fuad Muradoglu ve Hilmi Daregenli Vapurculuk Sirketi, Turkey. 1958: Sold to Sadikzade Nazim Oguilari Vapurculuk Komandit Sirketi, Turkey, and renamed KERVAN. 1961: Sold to Fratelli Cosulich, Italy and 27.7.1961 arrived at Trieste to be broken up.

TREGARTHEN (1) (1904 1911)
O.N. 115647. 2171g, 1376n. 289.0 x 43.0 x 20.1 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
17.2.1904: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 375), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 21.3.1904: Ran trials. 15.8.1911: Sold for £16,350 to Delmas Freres, France, and renamed FRANK DELMAS,
1920: Registered under Compagnie Delmas Freres & Vieljeux, France. 1933: Sold to J. D. Chandris, Greece, and renamed MARI CHANDRIS. 1936: Sold to Rederi A/B Snabb (Algot Johansson, manager), Finland, and renamed SNABB. 3.6.1940: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U37, 300 miles off Cape Finisterre. She was on a voyage from Greenock to Dakar. One crew member was killed and the remainder were landed at Queenstown.

TREMATON (1) (1904 1911)
O.N 115648. 2171g, 1374n. 289.2 x 43.0 x 20.2 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
19.3.1904: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 376), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 28.4.1904: Ran trials. 27.6.1911: Sold for £16,200 to Compania Naviera Vascongada (F. de Abasolo, manager), Spain and renamed ARTAGAN. 29.2.1912: Wrecked off Carboeiros, Cape Verde Islands, whilst on a voyage from Cardiff to Barcelona with a cargo of coal.
Old 12th July 2009, 11:07

TREMEADOW (I) (1905 1917)
O.N. 115649. 3653g, 2358n. 347.2 x 49.1 x 25,1 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
2.2.1905: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 383), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
6.3.1905: Ran trials. 19.1.1917: Captured by the German submarine UC21 and sunk by gunfire 35 miles N.E. ¾ N. from Ushant, France. She was on a voyage from Buenos Aires to Hull with a cargo of maize.

TREMORVAH (1) (1905 1917)
O.N 115650. 3654g, 2345n. 347.3 x 49.1 x 25.1 feet. T. 3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
7.3.1905: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 384), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
4.1905: Completed. 11.4.1917: Captured by the German submarine U65 and sunk by gunfire 70 miles N.N.W. from Cape Bougaroni, Algeria, whilst on a voyage from Malta to Gibraltar in ballast.

TRENEGLOS (3) (1906 1915)
O.N. 122651. 3886g, 2510n. 346.4 x 49.5 x 26.5 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
9.2.1906: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 391), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
3.1906: Completed. 14.11.1915: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U34, 70 miles W.S.W. from Gavdo Island, Crete, whilst homeward bound from Mauritius with a cargo of sugar.

TREMAYNE (2) (1906 1926)
O.N. 122652. 3881g, 2507n. 346.3 x 49.6 x 26.5 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
22.3.1906.. Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 392), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 7.5.1906: Ran trials. 1926: Sold for £23,500 to Kingdom Steamships Ltd. (Jackson Brothers, managers), London, and renamed COLLINGDALE. 13.4.1927: Wrecked near Melilla, Spanish North Africa, whilst on a voyage from Melilla to Rotterdam with a cargo of iron ore.

TRELAWNY (2) (1906 1926)
O.N. 122653. 3877g, 2502n. 346.0 x 49.6 x 26.5 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
15.12.1906: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 398), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
2.1907: Completed. 15.7.1926: Sank in the North Atlantic in position 48.44 N, 17.56 W, following a collision with the British steamship GAELIC PRINCE, 8,634/18, whilst on a voyage from Rotterdam to Hampton Roads in ballast.

TRECARRELL (1) (1907 1916)
O.N. 122654. 3875g, 2502n. 346.0 x 49.6 x 26.5 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
11.2.1907: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 399), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
3.1907: Completed. 24.2.1916: Wrecked on Black Fish Shoal, Chincoteaque Island, Virginia, whilst on a voyage from Huelva to Philadelphia with a cargo of pyrites.

TREVINCE (1) (1907 1926)
O.N. 122655. 3874g, 2502n. 346.0 x 49.6 x 26.5 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
19.3.1907: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons, South Shields (Yard No. 400), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 25.4.1907: Ran trials. 1926: Sold for £20,000 to Cassar Co. Ltd., Malta, and renamed CASSAR. Resold to J. Pateras, Greece, and renamed IOANNIS PATERAS. 1927: Registered under N. J. Pateras and Sons, Greece. 1930: Renamed SAPPHO. 10.6.1932: Wrecked W. of the Burlings on the Portuguese coast whilst on a voyage from Bona, Algeria, to Stettin, Germany, with a cargo of phosphate.

TRELISSICK (1) (1909 1917)
O.N. 122656. 4168g, 2647n. 363.4 x 51.1 x 26.1 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
6.7.1909: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 408), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 8.1909: Completed. 15.7.1917: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine UC72, 80 miles S.W. by W. ¼ W. from Ushant, whilst on a voyage from Boston to Bordeaux with a cargo of oats and steel.

TREVEAL (1) (1909 1918)
O.N. 122657. 4160g, 2641n. 363.4 x 51.0 x 26.1 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
30.9.1909: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 410), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 4.11.1909: Ran trials. 4.2.1918: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U35 off the Skerries, Anglesey whilst on a voyage from Algiers to Barrow with a cargo of iron ore.

TREVERBYN (1) (1910 1917)
O.N. 122658. 4163g, 2642n. 363.2 x 51.0 x 26.1 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
9.2.19 10: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 412), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 16.3.1910: Ran trials. 3.9.1917: Mined and sunk 2 miles E.S.E. from Ushinish Light, South Uist, whilst on a voyage from North Russia to Manchester with a cargo of iron ore.

TREVORIAN (2) (1911 1914)
O.N. 122659. 4144g, 2642n. 363.0 x 51.0 x 26.1 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
15.3.1911: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 418), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 4.1911: Completed. 8. 1914: Detained by Russian forces in the Black Sea and subsequently requisitioned as Transport No. 68. 12.2.1917: Sold for £135,000 to The Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty who 13.2.1917 requested that the Register be closed. 26.12.1918: Returned to the British Government. 19.5.1919: Wrecked at Anatolia Lighthouse in the Black Sea when in tow from Novorossisk to Constantinople.

TREGURNO (2) (1911 1930)
O.N. 122660. 4145g, 2646n. 363.0 x 51.1 x 26.1 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
1.5.1911: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 419), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 1.6.1911: Ran trials. 1930: Sold for £25,500 to C. D. Calafatis, Greece and renamed MEROPI. 1932: Sold to A. Pappas, Greece. 15.2.1942: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U566 off Halifax, N.S. in a position 44.14N, 62.41W whilst on a voyage from the River Tyne to Halifax. 24 crew and 2 gunners were lost.

TREVALGAN (2) (1911 1929)
O.N. 133211. 4185g, 2675n. 363.0 x 51.1 x 26.1 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
26.7.1911: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 421), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 9.1911: Completed. 1929: Sold for £27,750 to N. G. Kyriakides, Greece and renamed GEORGIOS KYRIAKIDES. 1937: Registered under the Heirs of the late N. G. Kyriakides, Greece. 30.6.1940: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U47, S.W. of Cape Clear in a position 50.25 N, 14.33 W whilst on a voyage from Macoris, St. Domingo to Liverpool with a cargo of sugar in bags. The crew of 30 were saved.

TREVANION (2) (1912 1929)
O.N. 133212. 4267g, 2727n. 369.7 x 51.1 x 26.1 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
2.3.1912: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 425), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 11.4.1912: Ran trials. 1929: Sold for £24,500 to Proios Brothers, Greece, and renamed MAROULA.
29.11.1934: Wrecked near Necochea, Argentine Republic whilst on a voyage from Brindisi to Necochea in ballast.

TREGLISSON (2) (1912 1914) (1919 1934)
O.N. 133213. 4265g, 2727n. 369.8 x 51.1 x 26.1 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
30.9.1912: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 429), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
11. 1912: Completed. 4.8. 1914: Detained at Bremen whilst discharging a cargo of barley and rye from Taganrog, Russia. Served as a prison ship. 20.1.1919: Returned to owners. 1934: Sold for £8,350 to Neptun Sea Navigation Co. Ltd. (B. Burger, manager), Hungary and renamed NYUGAT. 1940: Sold to Soc. Anon. Maritime et Commerciale, Panama and renamed LIRAN. 1941: Seized by Dutch authorities off Timor. 2.3.1942: Scuttled at Sourabaya.

TREVAYLOR (2) (1912 1934)
O.N. 133214. 4249g, 2717n. 369.9 x 51.1 x 26.1 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
7.11.1912: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 430), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 12.1912: Completed. 1934: Sold for £8,875 to Lensen Transport Ltd. (Cornelis A. Lensen, manager), London and renamed FREDERIKA LENSEN. 1940: Sold to Austin Friars Steam Shipping Co. Ltd. (Gaibraith, Pembroke and Co., managers), London. 20.7. 1942: Torpedoed by the German submarine U132 in a position 49.22 N, 65.12 W whilst on a voyage from Montreal to Sydney N.S. in ballast. Subsequently beached in Grand Valee Bay where she broke her back and was declared a constructive total loss. Four crew were lost.

TREVETHOE (2) (1913 1932)
O.N. 133215. 4248g, 2716n. 369.9 x 51.1 x 26.1 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
8.1.1913: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 431), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 2.1913: Completed. 1932: Sold for £8,250 to N. V. Scheepvaart Maatschappij Houtvervoer, Panama, and renamed ANTJE CATHARINA. 1933: Sold to Atlantic Tank Rhederei G.m.b.H. (J.T. Essberger, G.m.b.H., managers), Germany and renamed KARIN. 1936: Sold to Kauffahrtei A.G., later Kauffahrtei Seereederei Adolf Wiards & Co., Germany, and renamed EMSHORN. 21.12.1941: Torpedoed and sunk by the Russian submarine M174 at Petsamo, Russia.

TREVILLEY (3) (1913 1932)
O.N. 133216. 4259g, 2724n. 369.9 x 51.1 x 26.1 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
22.2.1913: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 432), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 4.1913: Completed. 1932: Sold for £7,350 to Osterreichischer Lloyd Schiffahrts A.G., Austria, and renamed WIEN. 1933: Sold to Slobodna Plovidba Topic D.D. (Ant. Topic, manager), Yugoslavia, and renamed SERAFIN TOPIC. 1941: Interned at Oran by the French authorities and 11.1942 taken over by the Italian Government and renamed COSALA. 10.2.1943: Torpedoed and sunk by H.M.S. UNA about 7 miles off Punts Staletti, whilst on a voyage from Messina to Taranto.

TREVIDER (3) (1913 1914) (1919 1933)
O.N. 133217. 4260g, 2723n. 369.9 x 51.1 x 26.1 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
9.4.1913: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 433), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 5.1913: Completed. 4.8.1914: Detained at Brake, Germany, whilst discharging a cargo of barley from Taganrog and Novorossisk, Russia. 18.12.1918: Returned to owners. 1933: Sold for £8,350 to llirija Dionicko Drustvo za Brodarstvo (Ant. Topic, manager), Yugoslavia and renamed ROSINA TOPIC. 1934: Owners restyled lLirija Navigation Co. Ltd., (same managers). 1.3.1941: Time chartered to the Ministry of Shipping (later Ministry of War Transport), registered at Belfast and renamed PICOTEE, H. Hogarth and Sons appointed managers. 7.8.1947: Returned to Brodarsko Akcionarsko Drustvo Oceania, Yugoslavia, and renamed ROSINA TOPIC. 1946: Renamed LIKA. 1947: Taken over by State Enterprise Jugoslovenska Slobodna Plovidba, Yugoslavia. 1953: Sold to Brodospas, Yugoslavia, and broken up at Split.

TREGARTHEN (2) (1913 1933)
O.N. 133218. 4263g, 2726n. 369.8 x 51.1 x 26.1 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
22.5.1913: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 434), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 6.1913: Completed. 1933: Sold for £6,050 to Neptun Sea Navigation Co. Ltd., (B. Burger, manager), Hungary and renamed KELET. 19.8.1940: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine UA in an approximate position 50 N, 22 W, whilst on a voyage from Port Talbot to Tamps in ballast. Her crew of 33 was rescued.

TREWELLARD (2) (1914 1933)
O.N. 133219. 4202g, 2667n. 370.2 x 51.6 x 25.0 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
27.5.1914: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 442), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 13.7. 1914: Ran trials. 1933: Sold for £7,500 to J.D. McLaren and Co. (Shipping) Ltd., A.A. Callergis & N.G. Revelis, Greece and renamed SYLVA. 1937: Sold for £30,000 to Ch. N. Pateras & Co. Greece and renamed VICTORIA. 30.10.1940: Bombed by German aircraft NW. of Rockall in position 54.47 N, 13.32 W, whilst on a voyage from Durban to Belfast with 7500 tons of sugar. She sank later the same day in position 54.48 N, 13.28 W. Her crew of 29 was rescued.

TREMATON (2) (1914 1916)
O.N. 133220. 4198g, 2665n. 370.2 x 51.6 x 25.0 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
23.7.1914: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 443), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 9.1914: Completed. 20.1.1916: Captured by the German submarine U35 and sunk by gunfire 180 miles E. by S. from Malta whilst on a voyage from Karachi to London with a cargo of grain.

TREVARRACK (2) (1914 1916)
O.N. 137861. 4199g, 2679n. 370.0 x 51.6 x 25.0 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
21.10.1914: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 445), for The Hain SteamshipCo. Ltd. 12.1914: Completed. 16.11.1916: Captured by the German submarine UC18 and sunk by gunfire 25 miles W. ½ N. from Les Hanois, Guernsey, whilst on a voyage from Buenos Aires to Hull with a cargo of maize.

TRECARNE (1) (1914 1933)
O.N. 137862. 4196g, 2679n. 370.3 x 51.6 x 25.0 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
17.12.1914: Launched byJ. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 446), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 2.1915: Completed. 1933: Sold for £7,750 to S. Castanos & Sons, Greece, and renamed STYLIANOS CASTANOS. 9.9.1934: Stranded West of Oran whilst on a voyage from Pitea, Sweden to Alexandria. Egypt with a cargo of timber. Subsequently refloated and 8. 12.1934 arrived at Algiers but found to be severely damaged and sold to Italian shipbreakers.

TREHAWKE (1915 1925)
O.N. 137863. 4198g, 2680n. 370.0 x 51.6 x 25.0 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
17.2.1915: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 447), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 4.1915: Completed. 17.4.1925: Wrecked in the Straits of Magellan whilst on a voyage from Santos to Coronel in ballast.

TREWIDDEN (3) (1917 1937)
O.N. 137867. 4381g, 2776n. 400.0 x 52.1 x 25.2 feet. T. 3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
1917: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 454), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
9.1917: Completed. 1937: Sold for £30, 00 to Prekomorska Plovidba D.D., Yugoslavia, and renamed KUPA.
15.5.1942: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U156 E. of St. Lucia in a position 14.50 N, 52.20 W whilst on a voyage from New York to Table Bay and Alexandria with a cargo of military trucks, aeroplane parts and oil in drums. Two of her crew of 41 were lost.

TREGENNA (3) (1917)
O.N 137868. 5772g, 3706n. 400.1 x 52.1 x 33.2 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
1917: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 455), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
12.1917: Completed. 26.12.1917: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine UB57, 9 miles South from Dodman Point whilst on her maiden voyage from the River Tyne to Gibraltar with a cargo of coal.

TRENEGLOS (4) (1917 1935)
O.N. 137869. 5768g, 3702n. 400.0 x 52.1 x 33.2 feet. T. 3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
14.11.1917: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No.456),forThe Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 3.1918: Completed. 1935: Sold for £17,625 to M. J. Lyres and Co., Greece, and renamed GALAXIAS. 1938: Sold to Galaxias S.S. Co. Ltd., Greece. 23.5.1940: Bombed and sunk by German aircraft at Dieppe. 14.9.1949: Reported raised in sections and by 7.1.1950 the final 150 tons had been raised and broken up.

TREVOSE (3) (1918 1935)
O.N. 137870. 5768g, 3702n. 400.2 x 52.1 x 33.2 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
28.1.1918: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 457), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 5.1918: Completed. 1935: Sold for £19,500 to Slobodna Plovidba Topic D.D. (Ant. Topic, manager), Yugoslavia, and renamed OLGA TOPIC. 1946: Sold to Dubrovacka Plovidba A.D., Yugoslavia, and renamed KOSMAJ. 1947: Taken over by State Enterprise Jugoslovenska Slobodna Plovidba, Yugoslavia. 25.2.1950: Abandoned on fire S.E. of St. Paul Rocks in a position 03.40 S, 30.15 W, whilst on a voyage from Rosario to Rotterdam with a cargo of linseed. The fire was extinguished 10.3.1950 but on 21.3.1950 broke out again, and all upperworks were reported destroyed. Towed into Fortaleza, Brazil, and on 13.4.1950 was settled as a constructive total loss. The vessel was then abandoned.

TREGANTLE (2) (1918 1939)
O.N. 142563. 5742g, 4279n. 400.2 X 52.1 x 33.2 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
1918: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 458), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
10. 1918: Completed. 1939: Sold for £26,750 to J.G.P. Livanos (J. Livanos and Sons Ltd., managers), Greece, and renamed ANNITSA. 15.1.1943: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U617 in a position 33.02 N, 21.58 E, when on passage from Alexandria to Benghazi and Tobruk with a cargo of 4400 tons of petrol in cases. An earlier attempt to discharge at Benghazi had been abandoned owing to a severe gale. One of her crew of 32 and two gunners were lost.

TRELOSKE (3) (1918 1939)
O.N. 142564. 5767g, 4304n. 400.2 x 52.1 x 33.2 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
23.10.1918: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 459), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 12.1918: Completed. 1939: Sold for £27,250 to C.N. Pateras, Greece, and renamed AGIOI VICTORES. 1948.. Sold to Agioi Victores Shipping Co. Ltd., Greece. 1949. Sold to Elias N. Pateras, Greece, and renamed PARALOS. 1952: Sold to British Iron and Steel Corporation, allocated to Clayton and Davie Ltd. and 29.12.1952 arrived at Dunston on Tyne to be broken up.

TREVEAN (3) (1919 1931)
O.N. 142624. 5225g, 3217n. 400.2 x 52.3 x 28.5 feet. T.3 cyl. by North Eastern Marine Engineering Co. Ltd., Newcastle.
27.5.1918: Launched by Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle (Yard No. 249), as WAR QUAIL for The Shipping Controller (Federal Steam Navigation Co. Ltd., managers). 8. 1918: Completed. 1919: Purchased by The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. and renamed TREVEAN, 25.2.1931: Stranded 8 miles East of Anatolia Lighthouse whilst on a voyage from Nicolaieff to Oran with a cargo of ore. 23.5.1931: Refloated and condemned as a constructive total loss and settled with the underwriters for £35,000. Subsequently sold to Italian shipbreakers for £1,650 and broken up at Trieste.

TREMEADOW (2) (1919 1938)
O.N. 142565. 5302g, 3231n. 400.4 x 52,2 x 28.4 feet. T.3 cyl by the Shipbuilder.
19.12.1918: Launched by D. and W. Henderson and Co. Ltd., Glasgow (Yard No. 516), as WAR PICOTEE for The Shipping Controller (Federal Steam Navigation Co. Ltd., managers). 1919: Purchased and 3.1919 completed as TREMEADOW for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 1938: Sold for £31,400 to Biagio Borriello (Lauro & Montella, managers), Italy, and renamed SAGITTA. 9.11.1941: Attacked by British warships and sunk by gunfire approximately 120 miles S.E. of Punta Stilo, Italy, in a position 37.08 N, 18.09 E, whilst on a voyage from Naples to Tripoli.

TREMORVAH (2) (1919 1938)
O.N. 142566. 5270g, 3198n. 400.0 x 52.3 x 28.4 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
18.3.1919: Launched by D. and W. Henderson and Co. Ltd., Glasgow (Yard No. 518), as WAR PALM for The Shipping Controller (Quito Shipping Company, managers). Purchased and 4.1919 completed as TREMORVAH for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 1938: Sold for £31,250 to Nivose ¬Societa di Navigazione (A. Scinicariello, manager), Italy, and renamed NIRVO. 24.5.1943: Bombed and sunk during an air attack on 0lbia. 1946: Salved and returned to service under the ownership of Angelo Scinicariello, Italy. 1952: Sold to Franco Maresca, Italy, and renamed MAR GLAUCO. 8.1958: Sold to S.p.A. Cantieri Navali Santa Maria for demolition at La Spezia, Italy.

TRELISSICK (2) (1919 1941)
O.N. 142567. 5265g, 3223n. 400.9 x 52.3 x 28.5 feet. T.3 cyl by the Shipbuilder.
29.4.1919: Launched by Harland and Wolf!' Ltd., Glasgow (Yard No. 551), as WAR PAMPAS for The Shipping Controller. Purchased and 6.1919 completed as TRELISSICK for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 23.6.1941: Bombed and sunk by German aircraft 31 miles from Sheringham Buoy, whilst on a voyage from London to the River Tyne and Papal in ballast. Two of her crew of 42 were lost.

TREVARRACK (3) (1919 1941)
O.N. 142568. 5270g, 3197n. 400.0 x 52.3 x 28.4 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
2.6.1919: Launched by D. and W. Henderson and Go. Ltd., Glasgow (Yard No. 519), as WAR LAUREL for The Shipping Controller. Purchased and 6.1919 completed as TREVARRACK for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
29.12.1940: Abandoned after an attack by German aircraft, N.W. of Tory Island, in a position 55.34 N, 09.30 W, whilst on a voyage from Durban to Immingham with a cargo of ore and carbides. 2.1.1941: Towed to Rothesay Bay and 13.3.1941 bombed and sunk by German aircraft whilst under repair in DaImuir Basin. 26.3.1941: Refloated and subsequently repaired and returned to service. 8.6.1941: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U46, in mid Atlantic in a position 48.46 N, 29.14 W, whilst on a voyage from Glasgow to Montreal in ballast. Her crew of 37 and seven passengers were lost.

TREVELYAN (2) (1919 1923)
O.N. 142569. 2500g, 1456n. 303.0 x 43.0 x 20.8 feet. T.3 cyl. by Richardsons, Westgarth and Co. Ltd., Hartlepool.
1.5.1919: Launched by C. Hill and Son Ltd., Bristol (Yard No. 132), as WAR QUINCE for The Shipping Controller. Purchased and 7.1919 completed as TREVELYAN for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 22.3.1923: Sold for £24,000 to Kelvin Shipping Co. Ltd. (H. Hogarth and Sons, managers), Glasgow, and renamed BARON HERRIES. 1934: Sold to Abbey Line Ltd. (Frederick Jones and Sons, managers), Cardiff, and renamed NEATH ABBEY. 1939: Sold to Constants (South Wales) Ltd. (M. Constant, manager), Cardiff, and renamed LYMINGE. 1946: Sold to Wheelock, Marden and Co. Ltd., London. 1947: Sold to San Peh S.N. Co. Ltd., registered under Hoong On S.N. Co. Ltd., China, and renamed TUNG SHAN. 15.8.1949: Bombed and sunk by Chinese Nationalist aircraft in the Yangtsze River 60 miles from Shanghai whilst on a voyage from Shanghai to Pukow in ballast.

TREGENNA (4) (1919 1940)
O.N. 142570. 5242g, 3201n. 400.1 x 52.3 x 28.4 feet. T.3 cyl. by Central Marin,e Engine Works, West Hartlepool. 1.5.1919: Launched by Wm. Gray and Co. (1918) Ltd., West Hartlepool (Yard No. 915), as WAR BULLDOG for The Shipping Controller. Purchased and 7.1919 completed as TREGENNA for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
17.9.1940: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U65, N.W. of Rockall in a position 58.22 N, 15.42 W whilst on a voyage from Philadelphia to Newport, Mon. with a cargo of 8000 tons of steel. The vessel was sailing in convoy HX71 at the time of her sinking. 33 of her crew of 37 were lost.

TRELYON (3) (1919 1938)
O.N. 142571. 5294g, 3232n. 400.0 x 52.4 x 28,5 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
12.6.1919: Launched by J . Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 11), as WAR PLOVER for The Shipping Controller. Purchased and 8.1919 completed as TRELYON for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 1938: Sold for £34,000 to Rickmers Rhederei A.G., Germany and renamed HANS RICKMERS. 30.11.1942: Beached after striking a mine off Petsamo, Finland, and subsequently destroyed by Russian artillery.

TRECARRELL (2) (1919 1941)
O.N. 142572. 5272g, 3198n. 400.1 x 52.3 x 28.4 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
15.7.1919: Launched by D. and W. Henderson and Co. Ltd., Glasgow (Yard No. 520), as WAR LILAC for The Shipping Controller. Purchased and 8.1919 completed as TRECARRELL for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 4.6.1941: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U101, W. of Cape Race in a position 47.10 N, 31.00 W whilst on a voyage from Hull to Father Point in the River St. Lawrence in ballast. Four of her crew of 43 were lost.

TREVEAL (2) (1919 1920)
O.N. 142573. 5243g, 3226n. 400.7 x 52.3 x 28.5 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
11.6.1919: Launched by Harland and Wolff Ltd., Glasgow (Yard No. 549),as WAR JONQUIL for The Shipping Controller. Purchased and 9.1919 completed as TREVEAL for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 9.1.1920: Wrecked on Kimmeridge Ledge, 2 miles West of St. Alban's Head, whilst on a voyage from Calcutta to Dundee with a cargo of jute and manganese ore. Earlier in the day the ship had called at Portland for a pilot but none was available and the master was instructed to continue the voyage.

TREMATON (3) (1919 1937)
O.N. 142574. 5202g, 3179n. 400.1 x 52.3 x 28.4 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
10.9 1919: Launched by D. and W. Henderson and Co. Ltd., Glasgow (Yard No. 521), as WAR LILY for The Shipping Controller. Purchased and 10. 1919 completed as TREMATON for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 1937: Sold for £61,500 to Slobodna Plovidba Topic D.D. (Ant. Topic, manager), Yugoslavia, and renamed JURKO TOPIC, 1946: Sold to Dubrovacka Plovidba A.D., Yugoslavia, and renamed KORENICA. 1947: Taken over by State Enterprise Jugoslovenska Slobodna Plovidba, Yugoslavia. 1956: Transferred to Atlantska Plovidba, Yugoslavia. 1960: Sold to Japanese shipbreakers and 29.4.1960 arrived at Osaka. 14.5.1960: Demolition commenced.

TREKIEVE (3) (1919 1942)
O.N. 142575. 5244g, 3230n. 400.0 x 52.4 x 28.5 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
9.9.1919: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 12), as WAR MALLARD for The Shipping Controller. Purchased by 11. 1919 completed as TREKIEVE for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 4.11.1942: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U178, E. of Lourengo Marques in a position 25.46 S, 33.48 E whilst on a voyage from Bombay and Mahe to Durban and the U.K. with a cargo of 2500 tons of manganese ore, 1700 tons of nuts and 1650 tons of copra and general cargo. 3 crew were lost.

TREFUSIS (2) (1919 1943)
O.N. 142634. 5299g, 3229n. 400.3 x 52.4 x 28.5 feet. T.3 cyl. by Harland and Wolff Ltd., Glasgow.
27. 7. 1918: Launched by Wm. Doxford and Sons Ltd., Sunderland (Yard No. 529), as WAR ACONITE for The Shipping Controller ( W. Runciman and Co. Ltd., managers). 10. 1919: Completed 1919: Purchased by The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. and renamed TREFUSIS. 5.3.1943: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U130, W. of Cape Finisterre in a position 43.50 N, 14.46 W whilst on a voyage from Pepel to London with a cargo of 7400 tons of iron ore. The ship was sailing in Convoy XK2 at the time of the sinking. 3 crew were lost.

TREGONNELL (1919 1935)
O.N. 142431. 5249g, 3178n. 400.0 x 52,3 x 28.5 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
28.3.1918: Launched by Wm. Doxford and Sons Ltd., Sunderland (Yard No. 525), as WAR STAG for The Shipping Controller (Watts, Watts and Co. Ltd., managers). 1918: Completed. 1919: Purchased by The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. and renamed TREGONNELL. 1935: Sold for £15,650 to A. Lauro, Italy and renamed IRIS. 25.6.1943: Bombed and sunk during an air attack on Messina. 4.1947: Raised after 8 months work and on 21.5.1947 left in tow for Spezia for repair. 1948: Recommissioned. 1958: Sold to Cantieri Tomaso di Savoia for demolition and 10.4.1958 arrived at Spezia.

TREVERBYN (2) (1920 1941)
O.N. 142576. 5281g, 3294n. 400.7 x 52.3 x 28.5 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
22.11.1919: Launched by Harland and WoIff Ltd., Glasgow (Yard No. 530), as WAR AIRMAN for The Shipping Controller (having been laid down as WAR MAPLE). Purchased and 1. 1920 completed as TREVERBYN for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 21.10.1941: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U82, S.W. of Cape Clear, in a position approximately 51 N, 19 W. She was on a voyage from Pepel to Cardiff with a cargo of 6900 tons of iron ore. The ship was sailing in Convoy SL.89 at the time of the sinking. Her crew of 38 and 10 gunners were lost.

TREVVYN (2) (1920 1937)
O.N. 142577. 5241g, 3228n. 400.1 x 52.4 x 28.5 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
8.12.1919: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 13), as WAR GANNET for The Shipping Controller. Purchased and 2.1920 completed as TREWYN for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 1937: Sold to for £61,800 Rickmers Rhederei A.G., Germany and renamed MONI RICKMERS. 10.5.1940: Seized at Sabang by Dutch authorities, renamed SALANDO and operated by the Dutch Government (N.V. Nederlandsch Indische Maatschappij voor Zeevaart VI.) 1943: Management transferred to Netherlands Shipping and Trading Co. Ltd. 1945: Management transferred to Rotterdamsche Lloyd. 1948: Management transferred to A. Veder and Co. 1949: Sold to Avni Nuri Meserretcioglu, Turkey and renamed MESERRET. 1958: Sold to A. Veder, Holland. 1959: Sold to Hakki Marmara, Turkey and renamed YENI MESERRET. 1960: Sold to Deniz Nakliyat ve Ticaret Limited Sirketi, Turkey. 1.9.1962: Driven ashore at Green Island, Hong Kong during typhoon Wanda. 6.9.1962: Refloated and beached at Gin Drinker's Bay where she was broken up by Hong Kong Chiap Hue Manufactory Co. (1947) Ltd. 24.9.1962: Demolition commenced.

TREVORIAN (3) (1920 1943)
O.N. 142578. 4599g, 2845n. 400.3 x 52.1 x 25.9 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
1.6.1920: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 462), for The Hain Steamship Co, Ltd. 10. 1920: Completed. 28.11.1943: Sank in the North Sea following a collision with the Icelandic trawler
OLI GARDA 316/21, whilst on a voyage from Hull to Mediterranean ports.

TREBARTHA (2) (1920 1940)
O.N. 142579. 45979, 2847n. 400.1 x 52,1 x 25.9 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
31.8.1920: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd,, South Shields (Yard No. 463), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 12.1920: Completed. 11. 11. 1940: Bombed by German aircraft 4 miles S.E. of Aberdeen whilst on a voyage from London to Philadelphia in ballast. On fire forward and run ashore in Cove Bay, Kincardineshire, 3 miles S. of Aberdeen. She broke in two 15.11.1940 and was abandoned as a total loss. 4 crew were lost.

TREVESSA (3) (1920 1923)
O.N. 143920. 5004g, 3121n. 401.2 x 52.7 x 28.3 feet. Q.4 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
25.8.1909: Launched by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg (Yard No. 290), as IMKENTURM for Deutsche Dampfschifffahrts Gesellschaft Hansa, Germany. 10. 1909: Completed. 1919: Surrendered to Great Britain as a prize and allocated to The Shipping Controller (British India S.N. Co. Ltd., managers). 19.10.1920: Purchased for £86,000 by The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd., and renamed TREVESSA. 4.6.1923: Foundered in the Indian Ocean whilst on a voyage from Port Pirie and Fremantle to the U.K. and Antwerp with a cargo of zinc concentrates.

TRELEVAN (1) (1920 1929)
O.N. 144396. 4770g, 2937n. 396.5 x 54.8 x 26.2 feet. T3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
1Z4.1914: Launched by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg, (Yard No. 338), as LUBECK for Deutsch Australische D.G., Germany. 6.1914: Completed 1919: Surrendered to Great Britain as a prize and allocated to The Shipping Controller (British India S.N. Co. Ltd., managers). 18.11.1920: Purchased for £121,350 by The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. and renamed TRELEVAN. 1929: Sold to Donaldson Line Ltd. (Donaldson Bros. and Co. Ltd., managers), Glasgow and renamed AIRTHRIA. 1938: Sold to Rederi A/B Atlanta (B. Krogius, manager), Finland and renamed ANJA. 1941: Taken over by the United States Maritime Commission, registered under the Panamanian flag and renamed SCAPA FLOW. 14.11.1942: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U134, S.W. of Cape Verde Island whilst on a voyage from W. African ports to Baltimore. She carried a cargo of 4500 tons of manganese ore, 1500 tons of latex in drums and 500 tons of baled rubber. 33 of her crew were lost.

TREDINNICK (1920 1942)
O.N. 142580. 4597g, 2846n. 400.1 x 52.1 x 25.9 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
25.11.1920: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 464), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 2.1921: Completed. 29.3.1942: Torpedoed and sunk by the Italian submarine CALVI, S.E. of Bermuda in a position 27.15 N, 49.15 W whilst on a voyage from New York to Bombay via Table Bay with a cargo of Government stores and general. Her crew of 46, including 6 gunners was lost.
Old 12th July 2009, 11:08

TREDENHAM (1920 1924)
O.N. 143074. 8435g, 5369n. 479.7 x 62.2 x 33.0 feet. Q.4 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
1915: Completed by A.G. Weser, Bremen (Yard No. 208), as FALKENFELS for Deutsche Dampfschifffahrts Gesellschaft Hansa, Germany. 1919: Surrendered to Great Britain as a prize and allocated to The Shipping Controller (James Chambers and Co., managers). 9.12.1920: Purchased for £190,000 by The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. and renamed TREDENHAM. 1924: Sold to Federal Steam Navigation Co. Ltd., London and renamed PAREORA. 1934: Sold to Japanese shipbreakers and 7.4.1934 arrived at Tokuyama to be broken up.

TREMERE (1920 1924)
O.N. 143094. 8047g, 5038n. 475.6 x 60.9 x 33.0 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
22.1.1915.. Launched by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg (Yard No. 343), as AUGSBURG for Norddeutscher Lloyd, Germany. 2.1916: Completed. 1919: Surrendered to Great Britain as a prize and allocated to The Shipping Controller (Watts, Watts and Co. Ltd., manager) 9.12.1920: Purchased for £ 180,000 by The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. and renamed TREMERE 1924: Sold to Federal Steam Navigation Co. Ltd., London and renamed PURIRI. 1934: Sold to Japanese shipbreakers.

TREVITHICK (1920 1924)
O.N. 144525. 8046g, 5128n. 469.8 x 58.1 x 32.1 feet. Q.4 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
1910: Launched by John Brown and Co. Ltd., Clydebank (Yard No. 417), as PREUSSEN for Hamburg Amerikanische Packetfahrt A.G., Germany. 12.1910. Completed. 1919: Surrendered to Great Britain as a prize and allocated to The Shipping Controller (British India S.N. Co. Ltd., managers). 13.12.1920: Purchased for £ 160,000 by The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. and renamed TREVITHICK. 1924: Sold to Federal Steam Navigation Co. Ltd., London and renamed PAPANUI. 1934: Sold to Japanese shipbreakers, and 14.3.1934 sailed from Shimonoseki bound for Kuchinotsu.

TREWINNARD (1920 1924)
O.N. 143291. 7233g, 4448n. 472.0 x 60.9 x 28.6 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
16.5.1914: Launched by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg (Yard No. 339), as AMMON for Deutsche Dampfschifffahrts Gesellschaft Kosmos, Germany. 7.1914: Completed. 1919: Surrendered to Great Britain as a prize and allocated to The Shipping Controller (Glover Brothers, managers). 13.12.1920 Purchased for £ 170,000 by The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. renamed TREWINNARD. 1924.. Sold to Federal Steam Navigation Co. Ltd., London and renamed PAKIPAKI. 1933.. Sold to Italian shipbreakers.

TRESITHNEY (1921 1924)
O.N. 143148. 6714g, 4162n. 472.5 x 59.3 x 28.6 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
8.8. 1914. Launched by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg (Yard No. 341), as LIPPE for Norddeutscher Lloyd, Germany. 2.1915 Completed. 1919: Surrendered to Great Britain as a prize and allocated to The Shipping Controller (Cairns, Noble and Co., managers). 1.2.1921: Purchased for £ 120,000 by The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd., and renamed TRESITHNEY. 1924 Sold to Federal Steam Navigation Co. Ltd., London and renamed PIPIRIKI. 1933 Sold to Italian shipbreakers.

TREWORLAS (1) (1922 1942)
O.N. 147041. 4692g, 2898n. 400.4 x 53.1 x 26.3 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
5.10.1922: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 470), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
11. 1922: Completed. 28.12.1942: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U124, E. of Trinidad in a position 10.52 N, 60.45 W whilst on a voyage from and Massowah to Baltimore with 3000 tons of manganese ore. 33 crew and 5 gunners were lost.

MIN (2) / TREMINNARD (1923 1942)
O.N. 142582. 4694g, 2901n. 400.4 x 53.1 x 26.3 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
25.5.1922: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 469), as MIN for Mercantile Steam Ship Co. Ltd. (E. Hain & Son, managers), St. Ives. 7.1922: Completed. 8.11.1923: Transferred to the Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 1936: Renamed TREMINNARD. 2.8.1942 Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U160, S.E. of Barbados in a position 10.40 N, 57.07 W whilst on a voyage from Alexandria to Trinidad and Ciudad Trujillo via Durban in ballast. The crew of 47 was rescued.

BOYNE (1923 1930)
O.N. 129121. 4445g, 2781n. 373,7 x 51.5 x 26.2 feet. T.3 cyl. by Blair and Co. Ltd., Stockton on Tees.
18.6.1910: Launched by J. L. Thompson and Sons Ltd., Sunderland (Yard No. 473), as BOYNE for Mercantile Steam Ship Co. Ltd., London. 8.1910: Completed. 1917: E. Hain and Son appointed managers. 8.11.1923: Transferred to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 1930: Sold for £22,400 to Marmara Steamship Co. Ltd., Greece and renamed ARIADNE PANDELIS. 19.6.1936: Beached on fire at Itaparica, Brazil, and abandoned as a total loss. She was on a voyage from Gdynia to Mar del Plate.

FOYLE (1923 1934)
O.N. 139093. 4739g, 2952n. 400,0 x 53.0 x 26.0 feet. T.3 cyl. by Blair and Co. Ltd., Stockton on Tees.
29.6.1915: Launched by J.L. Thompson and Sons Ltd., Sunderland (Yard No. 510), as FOYLE for Mercantile Steam Ship Co. Ltd., London. 10.1915: Completed. 1917: E. Hain and Son appointed managers. 8.11.1923: Transferred to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 1934: Sold for £9,750 to Rethymnis & Kulukundis (Hellas) Ltd., and D.E.and M. Lemos (Rethymnis & Kulukundis Ltd., managers), Greece and renamed DELPHOI 1936: Owners restyled D.P., M.G. & E.P. Lemos and Rethymnis & Kulukundis (Hellas) Ltd. 9.11.1938: Stranded at Chekka, Syria, whilst on a voyage from Gdynia to Chekka with a cargo of coal. Refloated and reported sold to Italian shipbreakers who resold her to F. A. Bertorello, Italy, who renamed her VOLODDA. Repaired and returned to service. 9.1943: Scuttled at Bari. 1947: Salved, repaired and returned to service. 1958: Owners restyled as Febo Amedeo Bertorello fu Giacomo. 1960: Sold to British Iron and Steel Corporation, allocated to P. and W. McLellan Ltd., and 10.8.1960 arrived at Bo'ness. 1.11.1960: Demolition commenced.

PRUTH (1923)
O.N. 139109. 4698g, 2945n. 400.0 x 53.0 x 26.0 feet. T.3 cyl. by Blair and Co. Ltd., Stockton on Tees.
23.9.1915: Launched by J.L. Thompson and Sons Ltd., Sunderland (Yard No. 511), as PRUTH for Mercantile Steam Ship Co. Ltd., London. 1. 1916: Completed. 1917: E. Hain and Son appointed managers. 8.11.1923: Transferred to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 31.12.1923: Wrecked on Natara Reef, Port Moresby whilst on a voyage from New York to New Zealand ports via Samarai and Port Moresby with general cargo.

TRESILLIAN (3) (1925 1941)
O.N. 148685. 4743g, 2873n. 400.0 x 53.0 x 26.4 feet. T.3 cyl. by Central Marine Engine Works, West Hartlepool. 21.8.1925: Launched by Wm. Gray and Co. Ltd., West Hartlepool (Yard No. 968), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 10.1925: Completed. 13.6.1941: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U77, S.E. of Cape Race in a position 44.40 N, 45.30 W whilst on a voyage from Immingham to the River St. Lawrence in ballast. The crew of 46 was rescued.

TRELAWNY (3) (1927 1941)
O.N. 149899. 4689g, 2876n. 406.0 x 54.7 x 25.2 feet. T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
15.8.1927: Launched by Hawthorn, Leslie and Co. Ltd., Newcastle (Yard No. 546), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 9.1927: Completed. 22.2.1941: Sunk W. of the Seychelles, in a position 47.12 N, 40.13 W whilst on a voyage from Swansea to New York when the convoy was attacked by the German battleships SCHARNHORST and GNEISENAU. One of the crew of 40 was killed and the remainder taken prisoners of war.

NIMODA / TREMODA (1927 1941)
O.N. 149980. 4736g, 2858n. 409.0 x 55.8 x 25.0 feet. T.3 cyl. by Harland and WoIff Ltd., Belfast.
24.11.1927: Launched by Harland and WoIff Ltd., Greenock (Yard No. 797), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
1. 1928: Completed. 1937: Renamed TREMODA. 27.8.1941: Torpedoed by the German submarine U557, W. of Achill Island in a position 53.36 N, 16.40 W whilst on a voyage from London to Duala via the River Tyne with general cargo and war stores. The ship was sailing in Convoy OS4 at the time of the attack and was last seen in a position 54.08 N, 15.28 W on the following day. 26 crew and 6 gunners were lost.

NOHATA / TREHATA (1927 1942)
O.N. 149988. 4817g, 2862n. 413.2 x 54.2 x 25.1 feet. T.3 cyl. by Central Marine Engine Works, West Hartlepool.
6.12.1927: Launched by Wm. Gray and Co. Ltd., West Hartlepool (Yard No. 994), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
1. 1928: Completed. 1936: Renamed TREHATA. 8.8.1942: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U176, S.E. of Cape Farewell in a position 56.30 N, 32.14 W. She was on a voyage from Hampton Roadsto Manchesterwith 3000 tons of steel, 1000 tons of tinned goods, 1000 tons of lard, 1000 tons of cheese and 1000 tons of manufactured goods. 31 crew were lost.

BANGALORE (1928 1941)
O.N. 160547. 6067g, 2908n. 436.0 x 57.5 x 29.8 feet. Q.4 cyl. by the Shipbuilder, with low pressure steam turbine.
5.6.1928: Launched by Barclay, Curle and Co. Ltd., Glasgow (Yard No. 622), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
8.1928: Completed. 20.7.1941: Damaged in collision with the British motorship RICHMOND CASTLE 7,798/39 in a position 01.30 N, 41.54 W whilst on a voyage from London via Trinidad and Table Bay to Hong Kong with general cargo, aeroplanes and horses. 2 1. 7.1941: Sunk by gunfire of an escort ship in a position 00.59 N, 43.00 W to prevent her becoming a hazard to navigation.

BURDWAN (1928 1942)
O.N. 160559. 6069g, 2911n. 436.0 x 57.5 x 29.8 feet. Q.4 cyl by the Shipbuilder, with low pressure steam turbine.
5.7.1928: Launched by Barclay, Curle and Co. Ltd., Glasgow (Yard No. 623), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
9.1928: Completed. 15.6.1942: Bombed and severely damaged by German aircraft 35 miles S. of Pantellaria Island when on a voyage from Greenock and Gibraltar to Malta with a cargo Of Government stores including ammunition and petrol. Abandoned by her crew, she was sunk by escorting warships. She carried a crew of 125 including military personnel; three were lost.

BEHAR (1) (1928 1940)
O.N. 160577. 6100g, 2942n. 436.0 x 57.6 x 29.6 feet. Q.4 cyl. by Harland and WoIff Ltd., Glasgow, with low pressure steam turbine.
16.8.1928: Launched by Harland and WoIff Ltd., Greenock (Yard No. 830), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
11. 1928: Completed. 24.11.1940.. Mined and badly damaged in a position 51.42 N, 05.07 W, when leaving Milford Haven with a cargo of 4770 tons of Government stores. Subsequently beached 230 º from Great Castle Head Lower Light and declared a constructive total loss. The crew of 71 was rescued. Salvage efforts continued, but were hindered by the weather and enemy minelaying. Work was eventually abandoned and 27.10.1941 the wreck was sold to British Iron and Steel Corporation (Salvage) Ltd. for demolition in situ.

BHUTAN (1928 1942)
O.N. 161203. 6104g, 2943n. 436.0 x 57.6 x 29.6 feet. Q.4 cyl. by the Shipbuilder, with low pressure steam turbine.
12.12.1928: Launched by Harland and Woiff Ltd., Glasgow (Yard No. 842), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
3.1929: Completed. 14.6.1942: Bombed and sunk by enemy aircraft S. of Pantellaria Island in a position 34.00 N, 23.40 E, whilst on a voyage from Alexandria to Malta. The ship was sailing in a convoy which had been under continuous air attack since leaving Alexandria three days previously. She carried a cargo of 7500 tons of Government stores including high explosives, aviation spirit and food. Six were lost from her crew of 128, 28 gunners and 52 passengers.

SOMALI (1930)
O.N. 161938. 6809g, 3550n. 459.0 x 60.7 x 29.7 feet. Q.4 cyl. by J.G. Kincaid and Co. Ltd., Greenock, with low pressure steam turbine.
9.10.1930: Launched by Harland and WoIff Ltd., Glasgow (Yard No. 898), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. Sold whilst fitting out to Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company and 18.12.1930 delivered. 26.3.1941: Bombed by German aircraft off the Northumberland coast and hit by three bombs in her No.3 hold. Her cargo of straw, hay, paint and oil was ignited and was soon blazing out of control. The crew was evacuated and on 27.3.1941 she blew up and sank 1 mile E. of Snoop Head, Sunderland.

TREWELLARD (3) (1936 1940)
O.N. 164680. 5201g, 3067n. 432.3 x 56.2 x 24.8 feet. T.3 cyl. by D. Rowan and Co. Ltd., Glasgow.
16.6.1936: Launched by Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow (Yard No. 883), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
7.1936: Completed. 5.11.1940: Shelled and sunk by the German raider ADMIRAL SCHEER, S.E. of Greenland, in an approximate position 52.26 N, 32.34 W. She was on a voyage from Boston and Halifax N.S. to Liverpool with 7800 tons of steel and 12 aeroplanes. 16 crew were lost.

TREGARTHEN (3) (1936 1941)
O.N. 164706. 5201g, 3067n. 432.3 x 56.2 x 24.8 feet. T.3 cyl. by D. Rowan and Co. Ltd., Glasgow.
30.7.1936: Launched by Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow (Yard No. 884), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
9.1936: Completed. 6.6.1941: Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U48, W. of Cape Race, in position 46.17 N, 36.20 W. She was on a voyage from Cardiff to Kingston, Jamaica, with 7800 tons of coal. Her crew of 45 were lost.

TREVALGAN (3) (1937 1942)
O.N. 165560. 5299g, 3120n. 432.3 x 56.2 x 24.8 feet. 3 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. Doxford oil engine by Barclay, Curle and Co. Ltd., Glasgow.
29.6.1937: Launched by Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow (Yard No. 898), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
8.1937: Completed. 30.11.1942: Torpedoed by the German submarine U508 and sank 2.12.1942 S.E. of Trinidad, in position 09.40 N, 59.15 W. She was on a voyage from Suez and Table Bay to Trinidad and New York in ballast. Her crew of 43 was rescued.

TREVANION (3) (1937 1939)
O.N. 165602. 5299g, 3120n. 432.3 x 56.2 x 24.8 feet. 3 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. Doxford oil engine by Barclay, Curle and Co. Ltd Glasgow.
9.9.1937: Launched by Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow (Yard No. 899), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
11.1937: Completed. 22.10.1939: Intercepted by the German pocket battleship ADMIRAL GRAF SPEE in the South Atlantic in position 19.40 S, 04.02 E. After removal of the crew, she was sunk with time bombs. She was on a voyage from Port Pirie and Fremantle to Table Bay and Swansea with a cargo of concentrates.

TREVAYLOR (3) (1940 1955)
O.N. 167400. 5257g, 3091n. 432.5 (447.8 o.l.) x 56.2 x 24.9 feet. 3 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. Doxford oil engine by the Shipbuilder.
9.1.1940: Launched by Barclay, Curle and Co. Ltd., Glasgow (Yard No. 674), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
3.1940: Completed. 1955: Sold to Williamson and Co. Ltd., Hong Kong, and renamed INCHSTAFFA. 1966: Sold to Rowan Shipping Corporation Ltd., Hong Kong. Resold to Mullion and Co. Ltd., Gibraltar, and renamed ARDSTAFFA. 1967: Sold to Southern Shipping and Enterprises Co. Ltd., Hong Kong, and renamed NANKWANG, 30.11.1967: Stranded and sank off Woosung anchorage after breaking her anchor chain in heavy weather. She was on a voyage from Whampoa to Shanghai with a cargo of ore.

TREVETHOE (3) (1940 1941)
O.N. 167555. 5257g, 3083n. 432.5 (446.7 o.l.) x 56.2 x 24.9 feet. 3 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. Doxford oil by Barclay, Curle and Co. Ltd., Glasgow.
10.4.1940: Launched by A. Stephen and Sons Ltd., Glasgow (Yard No. 570), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
6.1940: Completed. 11.3.1941: Torpedoed and sunk by German E boat N.E. of Yarmouth, in position 52.46 N, 01.57 E. She was on a voyage from St. John N.B. to London with 8160 tons of wheat. One of her crew of 38 was lost.

TREVILLEY (4) (1940 1942)
O.N. 167621. 5296g, 3106n. 431.9 (448.5 o.l.) x 56.2 x 24.8 feet. 3 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. Doxford oil engine by Barclay, Curls and Co. Ltd., Glasgow.
24.4.1940: Launched by Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow (Yard No. 928), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
8. 1940: Completed. 12.9.1942: Torpedoed, shelled and sunk by the German submarine U68 in the South Atlantic in position 04.30 S, 07.50 W. She was on a voyage from Middlesbrough and Oban to Table Bay and Beira with 6000 tons of general carqo and military stores.

TREVELYAN (3) (1943 1956) (1958 1962)
O.N. 168475. 7292g, 4970n. 428.8 (442.9 o.l.) x 56.5 x 35.5 feet. 3 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. oil engine by the Shipbuilder.
8.4.1943: Launched by W. Doxford and Sons Ltd., Sunderland (Yard No. 704), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
7. 1943: Completed. 1956: Transferred to P & O Steam Navigation Company. 1958: Returned to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 20.10.1962: Sold for £52,000 to Sigma Shipping Co. Ltd. for demolition and work commenced 5.11.1962 at Hong Kong.

BEHAR (2) (1943 1944)
O.N. 168497. 7840g, 3864n. 465.7 (485.5 o.l.) x 62.9 x 38.3 feet. Two 4 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. Doxford oil engines by the Shipbuilder.
24.5.1943. Launched by Barclay, Curle and Co. Ltd., Glasgow (Yard No. 692), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
8. 1943: Completed. 9.3.1944: Shelled and sunk by the Japanese cruiser TONE, S.W of the Cocoa Islands in position 20.32 S, 87.10 E. She was on a voyage from Newcastle N.S.K and Melbourne to Bombay with a cargo of 796 tons of zinc. She carried a crew of 90, 20 gunners and nine passengers. Three crew were killed during the action and the remainder were taken aboard the cruiser. Of these, 71 were executed by the Japanese on 18.3.1944 and others subsequently died in prisoner of war camps.

TREVINCE (2) (1943 1959)
O.N. 169571. 7292g, 4969n. 428.8 (442.9 o.l.) x 56.5 x 35.5 feet. 3 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. oil engine by the Shipbuilder.
4.5.1943: Launched by W. Doxford and Sons Ltd., Sunderland (Yard No. 705), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
8. 1943: Completed. 23.9.1959: Sold for £135,000 to Black Star Line Ltd., Ghana, and renamed DENSU RIVER. 1967: Sold to Compania de Naviera Victoria S.A., Panama, and renamed VICKY. 1973: Sold to Holivian Shipping Co. S.A., Panama. 4.6.1974: Arrived in tow at Saigon, Vietnam, after her engines had broken down during a voyage from Penang. Repairs were considered uneconomical and she was towed to Hong Kong. After minor repairs she sailed 24.7.1974 for Whampoa for demolition by Chinese shipbreakers. 27.7.1974: Delivered at Whampoa.

TREVANION (4) (1943 1955)
O.N. 169710. 7375g, 5134n. 432.6 (447.2 o.l.) x 57.9 x 35.3 feet. 6 cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. Burmeister & Wain oil engine by Harland and WoIff Ltd., Glasgow.
11.11.1943: Launched by Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow (Yard No. 985), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
1.1944: Completed. 25.4.1955: Sold to The Aviation and Shipping Co. Ltd. (N. W. Purvis, manager), London, and renamed AVISBROOK. 1957: Purvis Shipping Co. Ltd. appointed managers. 1960: Sold to Integritas Shipping Co. Ltd., Greece, and renamed MICHALIS. 1967: Sold to Taiwan shipbreakers and arrived 23.10.1967 at Kaohsiung.

HARDINGHAM (1944 1945)
O.N. 168314. 7269g, 5041n. 428.8 (442.9 o.l.) x 56.5 x 35.5 feet. 3 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. oil engine by the Shipbuilder. 1.6.1942; Launched by W. Doxford and Sons Ltd., Sunderland (Yard No. 692), as HARDINGHAM for Willis Steamship Co. Ltd. (J. and C. Harrison Ltd., managers), London. 9.1942: Completed. 1944: Purchased by The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 5.4.1945: Lost by fire and explosion in the Outer Anchorage, near Colombo, whilst on a voyage from New York to Calcutta with general cargo including explosives.

HARLESDEN / TREWIDDEN (4) (1944 1959)
O.N. 168406. 7273g, 4984n. 428.8 (442.9 o.l.) x 56.5 x 35.5 feet. 3 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. oil engine by the Shipbuilder.
23.10.1942: Launched by W. Doxford and Sons Ltd., Sunderland (Yard No. 699), as HARLESDEN, for J. and C. Harrison Ltd., London. 3.1943: Completed. 1944: Purchased by The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 1945: Renamed TREWIDDEN. 20.4.1959: Sold for £142,000 to Black Star Line Ltd., Ghana, and renamed ANKOBRA RIVER. 1964: Sold to Tenes Shipping Company, Liberia, and renamed ELAND. 1968: Sold to Tien Cheng Steel Manufacturing Ltd. for demolition and arrived 29.10.1968 at Kaohsiung, Taiwan.

HARPAYLCE / TREWELLARD (4) (1944 1956) (1958 1962)
O.N. 168334. 7269g, 5042n. 428.8 (442.9 o.l.) x 56.5 x 35.5 feet.3 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. oil engine by the Shipbuilder.
30.6.1942: Launched by W. Doxford and Sons Ltd., Sunderland (Yard No. 694), as HARPALYCE for National Steamship Co. Ltd. (J.. and C. Harrison Ltd., managers), London. 10. 1942: Completed. 1944. Purchased by The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 1946: Renamed TREWELLARD. 1956: Transferred to P & O Steam Navigation Company. 1958: Returned to The Hain Steamship Co.Ltd. 12.10.1962: Sold for £70,000 to Santa Marina Compania Maritime S.A., Greece, and renamed ARTEMON. 7. 10.1965: Arrived at Piraeus, Greece, with engine trouble sustained whilst on a voyage from Cebu to Rotterdam. Fire broke out in her cargo, and was discovered 1.11.1965 and as a result she was beached in Ambelaki Bay in order that fire fighting could take place. The fire was not extinguished until 8.11.1965. Declared a constructive total loss and left Piraeus in tow 29.9.1966 for Valencia and demolition. 12.1966: Work commenced by Desguaces Incolesa.

HARPAGUS / TREWORLAS (2) (1944 1956) (1958 1960)
O.N. 168347. 7271 g, 5044n. 428.8 (442.9 o.l.) x 56.5 x 35.5 feet. 3 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. oil engine by the Shipbuilder.
28.8.1942: Launched by W. Doxford and Sons Ltd., Sunderland (Yard No. 695), as HARPAGUS for National Steamship Co. Ltd. (J. and C. Harrison Ltd., managers), London. 11.1942: Completed. 1944: Purchased by The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 19.8.1944: Struck a mine 1 ½ miles North of the West Breakwater, Arromanches Harbour, France, whilst on a voyage from Southend to Arromanches with a cargo of military stores. She broke in two, and the fore part quickly sank. The after part was beached, but later refloated and towed to Southampton for discharge. She was taken in tow for the River Tyne, but grounded again on West Barrow Sand in the Thames Estuary. After refloating she was beached off Sheerness where overhanging obstructions were removed. The tow to the River Tyne was restarted and she arrived 1. 12.1944, having put into Leith on account of bad weather. A new fore part was ordered and launched 5.1946. After fitting to the original after part, the vessel was renamed TREWORLAS. 1956: Transferred to P & O Steam Navigation Company. 1958: Returned to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 1.6.1960: Grounded on Madira Reef in the Persian Gulf in position 28.49 N, 48.45 E, and 7.6.1960 refloated. Sailed under her own power for Falmouth where drydocked and declared a constructive total loss. Sold to British Iron and Steel Corporation for demolition and sailed from Falmouth 18.9.1960 in tow of the tug TRADESMAN 592/44.21.9.1960: Arrived at Briton Ferry where work was commenced by Thomas W. Ward Ltd.

TREVIDER (4)(1944 1955)
O.N. 169843. 7376g, 51133n. 432.6 (447.2 o.l.) x 57.9 x 35.3 feet. 6 cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. Burmeister & Wain oil engine by Harland and WoIff Ltd., Glasgow.
15.2.1944: Launched by Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow (Yard No. 986), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
5.1944: Completed. 22.8.1955: Sold to Turnbull Scott Shipping Co. Ltd., (Turnbull, Scott and Co., managers), London, and renamed EASTGATE. 1956: Sold to Navigation Maritime Bulgare, Bulgaria and renamed BALKAN. 16.1.1968: Reported aground on rocks off Lattakia, Syria with her engine room and holds flooded while on a voyage from Bourgas to Lattakia with a cargo of grain. 24.7.1968. Refloated and taken in tow for Bulgaria, but sold to Brodospas, Yugoslavia, for demolition, and arrived 4.8.1968 at Split.

TREVETHOE (4) (1944 1951) (1958 1959)
O.N 169895. 7355g, 5004n. 431.0 (444.8 o.l.) x 56.5 x 35.5 feet. 3 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. oil engine by the Shipbuilder.
18.2.1944: Launched by W. Doxford and Sons Ltd., Sunderland (Yard No. 715), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
6.1944: Completed. 1951: Transferred to P & O Steam Navigation Company. 1958: Returned to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 16.3.1959: Sold for £143,000 to Herculiania Compania Maritime S.A., Greece, and renamed ALCYONIS. 1969: Sold to Nan Feng Steel Enterprises Co. Ltd., for demolition and arrived 13.8.1969 at Kaohsiung, Taiwan. 10.1969: Work commenced.

TREVOSE (4) (1944 1951) (1958 1962)
O.N. 169931. 7354g, 5006n. 431.0 (444.8 o.l.) x 56.5 x 35.5 feet. 3 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. oil engine by the Shipbuilder.
25.4.1944: Launched by W. Doxford and Sons Ltd., Sunderland (Yard No. 716), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
8.1944: Completed. 1951: Transferred to P & O Steam Navigation Company. 1958: Returned to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 1962: Sold to Red Anchor Line Ltd. (Chris. Moller, manager), Hong Kong. (London registry retained) and renamed RUTHY ANN. 9.9.1968: Ran aground following a collision at Haiphong, North Vietnam during a typhoon. She was refloated 30.9.1968 and was reported to be heavily damaged. Subsequently repaired and returned to service. 1971: Sold to Chinese Mainland shipbreakers and sailed from Hong Kong 1.2.1971 bound for Whampoa, where she was delivered 11.2.1971.

REGISTAN / TRESILLIAN (4) (1945 1951)
O.N. 180022. 7368g, 5039n. 431.0 (444.8 o.l.) x 56.5 x 35.5 feet. 3 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. oil engine by the Shipbuilder.
8.1944: Launched by W. Doxford and Sons Ltd., Sunderland (Yard No. 720), as REGISTAN for Strick Line (1923) Ltd. (F. C. Strick and Co. Ltd., managers), London. 12.1944: Completed. 1945: Purchased by The Hain Steamship Co Ltd. and 1946 renamed TRESILLIAN. 1951: Transferred to P & O Steam Navigation Company. 30.11.1954: Capsized and sank when her cargo shifted in heavy weather 25 miles off Ballycotton, Irish Republic. She was on passage from Montreal to Avonmouth with a cargo of grain.

TREVEAN (4) (1946 1957) (1958 1963)
O.N. 181116. 7312g, 4748n. 429.0 (442.9 o.l.) x 56.5 x 35.5 feet. 3 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. oil engine by the Shipbuilder.
9.7.1945: Launched by W. Doxford and Sons Ltd., Sunderland (Yard No. 732), as EMPIRE TILBURY for The Ministry of War Transport (later Ministry of Transport), W. Runciman and Co. Ltd., Newcastle, appointed managers. 12.1945: Completed. 27.3.1946: Purchased by The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd., and renamed TREVEAN. 1957: Transferred to P & O Steam Navigation Company. 1958: Returned to The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 1963: Sold to Willow Shipping Co. Ltd. (Eastern Asia Naviation Co. Ltd., managers), Hong Kong, (London registry retained) and renamed EAST LION. 1964: Renamed KAWANA. 4.6.1966: Beached near Chittagong, Pakistan after fire had broken out in the cargo of coal with which she had arrived 23.5.1966 from Chinwangtao, China. 20.6.1966: Reported that her back had broken and declared a total loss.

TRELYON (4) (1948 1963)
O.N. 183048. 5414g, 3049n. 427.6 (442.9 o.l.) x 56.5 x 26.5 feet. 4 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. oil engine by the Shipbuilder.
17.12.1948: Launched by W. Doxford and Sons Ltd., Sunderland (Yard No. 767), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 7.1949: Completed. 1963: Sold for £100,000 to Chiao Mao Enterprises Ltd., Hong Kong, and renamed YUNGLUTATON. 1967: Yick Fung Shipping and Enterprises Co. Ltd. appointed managers. 1974: Transferred to China Ocean Shipping Company, People's Republic of China. Later reported transferred to the Government of The People's Republic of China (Shanghai Port Affairs Administration). Renamed HUA SHAN. Believed still in service.

TRELAWNY (4) (1949 1963)
O.N. 183080. 5414g, 3049n. 427.6 (442.9 o.l.) X 56.5 x 26.5 feet. 4 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. oil engine by the Shipbuilder.
14.1.1949: Launched by W. Doxford and Sons Ltd., Sunderland (Yard No. 768), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
8.1949: Completed. 1963: Sold for £130,000 to Great Eastern Shipping Co. Ltd., India, and renamed JAG RAHAT. 1969: Sold to Sotir Compania Aseguratora y Maritime, Cyprus and renamed PANAGIA ODIGITRIA. 1972: Owners restyled Pantocrator Compania Aseguratora y Maritime S.A. of Panama. 1974: Sold to Gujranwala Steel Industries Ltd. Pakistan for demolition and arrived 9.8.1974 at Karachi.

TREGENNA (5) (1949 1959)
O.N. 183073. 5815g, 3206n. 435.2 (453.3 o.l.) x 57.6 x 25.9 feet.T.3 cyl. by the shipbuilders, with low pressure turbine, double reduction gearing and hydraulic coupling.
16.2.1949: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 564), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 8.1949: Completed. 10.12.1959: Sold for £205,000 to Pan Islamic S.S. Co.Ltd., Pakistan and renamed SAFINA E NUSIRAT. 1975: Sold to Pakistan shipbreakers and demolition commenced 6.1976 at Gadani Beach.

TRELISSICK (3) (1949 1963)
O.N. 183107. 5386g, 3055n. 427.6 (442.9 o.l.) x 56.5 x 26.5 feet. 4 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. oil engine by the Shipbuilder.
2.3.1949: Launched by W. Doxford and Sons Ltd., Sunderland (Yard No. 769), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
9.1949: Completed. 1963: Sold to Chiao Mao Enterprises Ltd., Hong Kong, and renamed KINROSS. 1967: Yick Fung Shipping and Enterprises Co. Ltd., appointed managers. 1972: Registered under Yick Fung Shipping and Enterprises Co., Ltd., Somali Republic. 1974: Transferred to China Ocean Shipping Company, People's Republic of China. Believed still in service.

TRELEVAN (2) (1949 1964)
O.N. 183132. 5386g, 3055n. 427.6 (442.9 o.l.) x 56.5 x 26.5 feet. 4 cy]. 2 S.C.S.A. oil engine by the Shipbuilder.
15.3.1949: Launched by W. Doxford and Sons Ltd., Sunderland (Yard No. 770), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
11. 1949: Completed. 1964: Sold for £165,000 to Cambay Prince S.S. Co. Ltd. (John Manners and Co. Ltd., managers), Hong Kong, and renamed SYDNEY BREEZE. 1970: Sold to Global Navigation Ltd., Canada, and renamed GLOBAL ENVOY. 1973. Renamed BAFFIN BAY. 5.7.1973: Considerably damaged by fire which broke out in the engine room while she was lying at Halifax, Nova Scotia. She had arrived at the port in tow 24.6.1973 after developing engine trouble during a voyage from Montreal to Haiti with a cargo of grain. The fire was extinguished 6.7.1973 and after examination the vessel was sold to Industrial Machinery Corporation, Panama, who then sold her to Marine Salvage, Port Colborne, Ontario. Resold through Jacq. Pierot Junior and Sons to Spanish shipbreakers. 2.1974: Demolition commenced.

TREGOTHNAN (2) (1949 1959)
O.N. 183141. 5815g, 3206n. 435.2 (453.3 o.l.) x 57.6 x 25.9 feet.T.3 cyl. by the shipbuilders, with low pressure turbine, double reduction gearing and hydraulic coupling.
12.7.1949: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 565), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 11. 1949: Completed. 1959: Sold for £207,500 to Trans Oceanic S.S. Co. Ltd., Pakistan, and renamed OCEAN ENTERPRISE. 9.12.1971: Heavily damaged in an Indian air attack when berthed at Chaina, Pakistan. No subsequent reports, but assumed broken up.

TREGLISSON (3) (1949 1960)
O.N. 183212. 5270g, 3281 n. 435.5 (453.0 o.l.) x 57.5 x 26.0 feet. T.3 cyl. by D. Rowan and Co. Ltd., Glasgow, with low pressure turbine double reduction gearing and hydraulic coupling.
20.10.1949: Launched by Wm. Hamilton and Co. Ltd., Port Glasgow (Yard No. 484), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 3.1950: Completed. 29.3.1960: Sold for £215,000 to United Oriental S.S. Company, Pakistan, and renamed YOUSUFBAKSH. 8.5.1965: Beached near Deal after a fire had broken out in her cargo of jute while on a voyage from Chittagong, Pakistan to Boulogne, She was refloated 28.5.1965 but grounded again the following day. 31.5.1965. Again refloated and 1.6.1965 arrived in tow at Rotterdam where her cargo was discharged. Found to be beyond economical repair and sold to German shipbreakers. 23.1.1966. Demolition commenced at Hamburg by Eisen & Metall A.G.

TRELOSKE (4) (1949 1963)
O.N. 183219. 5386g, 3055n. 427.6 (442.9 o.l.) x 56.5 x 26.5 feet. 4 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. oil engine by the Shipbuilder.
9.8.1949: Launched by W. Doxford and Sons Ltd., Sunderland (Yard No. 774), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
4.1950: Completed 1963: Sold for £100,000 to Chiao Mao Enterprises Ltd., Hong Kong, and renamed YUNGFUTARY. 26.7.1968: Ran aground some 300 miles N.E. of Hong Kong on rocks off Fukien Province, S.E. China, and was declared a total loss. She was on a voyage from Shanghai to Singapore with general cargo.

TREMAYNE (3) (1952 1965)
O.N. 185848. 5608g, 3131 n. 436.5 (455.5 o.l.) x 58.2 x 26.0 feet. 4 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. Doxford oil engine by D. Rowan and Co. Ltd., Glasgow.
17.9.1952: Launched by Wm. Hamilton and Co. Ltd., Port Glasgow (Yard No. 493), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 3.1953: Completed. 1.10.1965: Registered under Hain Nourse Ltd. 1968: Sold to Vasa Shipping Co. Ltd., Cyprus, and renamed VIRGY. 1973: A. Halcoussis & Co. appointed managers. 1975: Sold to Fury Shipping Company Ltd., Cyprus, and renamed ILION. 1979: Sold to M/S Yashma Ltd., Pakistan, but not delivered due to litigation. Arrived and anchored 22.5.1979 off Karachi. 7.8.1979: Ran aground close to the Manora Lighthouse, but no attempt was made to refloat her. Sold to local shipbreakers and demolition commenced in situ during 12.1979.

TREMORVAH (3) (1954 1965)
O.N. 186088. 5605g, 3032n. 436.5 (455.5o.l.) x 58.2 x 26.0 feet. 4 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. Doxford oil engine by D. Rowan and Co. Ltd., Glasgow.
7.5.1954: Launched by Wm. Hamilton and Co. Ltd., Port Glasgow (Yard No. 494), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 7.1954: Completed. 1.10.1965: Registered under Hain Nourse Ltd. 18.1.1968. Sold to Sancherouvim Compania Maritime S.A., Greece, and renamed ARCHON CHERUBIM. 1974: Sold to Caledon Bay Shipping Company, Panama, and renamed FIVE HILLS. 1976: Sold to Victoria Navigation Co. Ltd., Panama, and renamed PHUTRUKSA. 1978: Sold to Sam Woo, Hong Kong, for demolition. 14.9.1978: Work commenced.

TREMEADOW (3) (1957 1965)
O.N. 187723. 6504g, 3415n. 471’.9” x 61’1" x 26’6 ½ “. 4 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. Doxford oil engine by D. Rowan and Co. Ltd., Glasgow.
7.11.1957: Launched by Wm. Hamilton and Co. Ltd., Port Glasgow (Yard No. 514), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 1. 1958: Completed. 1.10.1965: Registered under Hain Nourse Ltd. 1.10.1971: P & O General Cargo Division appointed managers. 1972: Registered under Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company. 11.12.1973: Sold to Gulf Shipping Lines Ltd. (Wallem Shipmanagement Ltd., managers), London, and renamed RELIANCE EXPRESS. 1975: Gulfeast Ship Management Ltd. appointed managers. 1976: Renamed GULF RELIANCE. 1980: Sold to Nan Long Steel and Iron Co. Ltd., Taiwan and demolition commenced 2.5.1980 at Kaohsiung.

TRECARRELL (3) (1959 1965)
O.N. 300862. 6499g, 3388n. 471' 9” x 61' 3" x 26’ 6 ½ ". 4 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. Doxford oil engine by D. Rowan and Co. Ltd., Glasgow.
8.1.1959: Launched by Wm. Hamilton and Co. Ltd., Port Glasgow (Yard No. 518), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 3.1959: Completed. 1.10.1965: Registered under Hain Nourse Ltd. 1971; Sold to Seven Isles Shipping Corporation, Cyprus, and renamed SKIPPER. 1972: Sold to Saint John Shipping Co. Ltd., Cyprus. 1974: Sold to Elefinor Shipping Company S.A., Cyprus, and 1975 renamed DELPHI. 1976: Resold to Saint John Shipping Co. Ltd., Cyprus. 1977: Sold to Green River Inc. (Belgravia Maritime Corp., managers), Greece, and renamed ALTONA. 4.5.1979: Abandoned by her crew when a boiler explosion resulted in a severe fire while passing through the Straits of Gibraltar, on a voyage from Dunkirk to Kuwait. Beached 5.5.1979 near the entrance to Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz, in position 30.05 N, 06.26 W. She was refloated and following examination sold to Maslia S.A. for demolition. 27.8.1979: Arrived Cartagena in tow from Cadiz and 1.1980 demolition commenced.

TREVAYLOR (4) (1959 1965)
O.N. 300882. 6501g, 3388n. 471' 9" x 61’ 3" x 26’6 ¼ “. 4 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. Doxford oil engine by the Shipbuilder.
23.1.1959: Launched by Barclay, Curle and Co. Ltd., Glasgow (Yard No. 741), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
4.1959: Completed. 1.10.1965: Registered under Hain Nourse Ltd. 1.10.1971: P & O General Cargo Division appointed managers. 1972: Registered under Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company. 26.1.1973: Sold to Gerontina Compania Naviera S.A. Panama, Greece, and renamed EVGENIA I. 11.2.1976: Grounded 23 miles N. of Jeddah when on passage from Houston to Hodeidah, Yemen with general cargo. She was quickly refloated but was promptly beached due to severe bottom damage. Much of her cargo was subsequently discharged but attempts to refloat her were unsuccessful and she was abandoned as a total loss.

TRECARNE (2) (1959 1965)
O.N. 300974. 6499g, 3381n. 471’ 9" x 61’3” x 26' ¼ “. 4 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. Doxford oil engine by D. Rowan and Co. Ltd., Glasgow.
6.5.1959: Launched by Wm. Hamilton and Co. Ltd., Port Glasgow (Yard No. 519), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd.
8.1959: Completed. 1.10.1965: Registered under Hain Nourse Ltd. 1.10.1971: P & O General Cargo Division appointed managers. 1972: Registered under Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company. 20.3.1974: Sold to Golden Arrow Shipping Co. Ltd., Cyprus, and renamed GOLDEN ARROW. 1976: Sold to East Arrow Compania Naviera S.A., Greece. 25.10.1976: Arrived at Hodeidah, with her engine room flooded, during a voyage from Damman, and was subsequently laid up. Considered to be beyond economical repair, and sold to Premier Shipbreaking Company, Pakistan. Sailed from Hodeidah 3.10.1978 bound in tow for Karachi, anchoring off the port 28.10.1978. Later moved on to Gadani Beach for demolition, arriving prior to 7.12.1978.

TREWIDDEN (5) (1960 1965)
O.N. 301146. 6671g, 3352n. 488’ 0” x 63' 3” x 26’ 5 ¾ ". 4 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. Doxford oil engine by Wallsend Slipway and Engineering Co. Ltd., Wallsend.
26.2.1960: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 604), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 6.1960: Completed. 1.10.1965: Registered under Hain Nourse Ltd. 1.10.1971: P & O General Cargo Division appointed managers. 1972: Registered under Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company. 18.6.1975: Sold to Epiktetos Shipping Co. Ltd., Cyprus, and renamed SARINA I. 6.6.1978: Reported disabled off Somalia in a position 08,31 N, 50.43 E, with main engine damage. She was on a voyage from Aqaba to Tanzania with a cargo of bulk phosphate. Taken in tow, and 26.6.1978 arrived at Tanga, where she was discharged. Subsequently offered for sale by order of the District Registrar of Tanga and purchased for demolition by Aluminium Africa Ltd. Resold through West German interests to Nan Long Steel and Iron Co. Ltd., Taiwan, and arrived 11.12.1979 at Kaohsiung. 26.12.1979: Demolition commenced.

TREVALGAN (4) (1960 1965)
O.N. 302610. 6706g, 3407n. 487’11" x 63’3” x 26' 5 ½ “. 6 cyl. 2 S.C.S A. Sulzer oil engine by D. Rowan and Co. Ltd., Glasgow
6.12.1960: Launched by Wm. Hamilton and Co. Ltd., Port Glasgow (Yard No. 523), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 3.1961: Completed. 1.10.1965: Registered under Hain Nourse Ltd. 1.10.1971: P & O General Cargo Division appointed managers. 1972: Registered under Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company. 5.1.1973: Sold to Evalend Shipping Company S.A., Greece, and renamed LENDOUDIS EVANGELOS. 1982. Registered at Panama. 1985: Sold to Eastern Ship Breakers, Bangladesh, and 4.2.1985 arrived at Chittagong. 7.3.1985: Demolition commenced at Bhatiary.

TREFUSIS (3) (1961 1965)
O.N. 302856. 10077g, 5754n. 508' 3” x 65’ 3” x 29’0 ¼ “. 5 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. Sulzer oil engine by Wallsend Slipway and Engineering Co. Ltd., Wallsend.
11.9.1961: Launched byJ. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 609), forThe Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 12.1961: Completed. 1.10.1965: Registered under Hain Nourse Ltd. 1.10.1971: P & O General Cargo Division appointed managers. 1972: Registered under Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company. 11. 7.1975: Renamed STRATHTEVIOT. 19.1.1978: Sold to Kodros Shipping Corporation (Olistim Navigation Company, managers), Greece, and renamed EVIA. 23.9.1980: Detained at Basrah as a result of the Iran Iraq hostilities. After end of hostilities scrapped in 1987.

TREBARTHA (2) (1962 1972)
O.N. 302985. 10148g, 5754n. 508' 3” x 65' 3” x 29’ 9". 5 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. Sulzer oil engine by Wallsend Slipway and Engineering Co. Ltd., Wallsend.
23.1.1962: Launched by J. Readhead and Sons Ltd., South Shields (Yard No. 610), for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. 5.1962: Completed. 1. 10. 1965: Registered under Hain Nourse Ltd. 1.10.1971: P & O General Cargo Division appointed managers. 1972: Registered under Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company. 7.5.1975: Renamed STRATHTAY. 25.1.1978 Sold to Marikog Shipping Company S.A., Panama, and renamed ZAK. 1985 Sold to Chinese shipbreakers and 9.1.1985 arrived at Lianyungang.

TRENEGLOS (5) (1963)
O.N. 304673. 9976g. 5793n. 505' 3" x 65’ 3” x 27’1 ½ “. 5 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. Sulzer oil engine by Fairfield Rowan Ltd,, Glasgow,
28.3.1963: launched by Wm. Hamilton and Co. Ltd., Port Glasgow (Yard No. 527), as TRENEGLOS for The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd but completed 8.1963 for New Zealand Shipping Co. Ltd., London. 12.11.1964 Grounded 1 ¼ miles S. of Timaru whilst on a voyage from Timaru to Dunedin. Refloated 17.11.1964 with considerable damage. 30.9.1968: Registered under Hain¬-Nourse Ltd. 1.10.1971: P & O General Cargo Division appointed managers. 1972: Registered under Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company. 28.11.1974: Renamed STRATHTRUIM. 27.1.1978: Sold to Torenia Maritime Inc. (Zodiac Maritime Agencies Ltd., managers), Singapore, and renamed SIAM BAY. 1979: Sold to Chrysalis Compania Naviera S.A. (Family Shipping Co. S.A. Panama, managers) Greece, and renamed FAMILY ANGEL 1984: Sold to Temple S.A., Panama, and renamed DOMAN. 1985: Sold to Chinese shipbreakers and arrived 2.8.1985 at Nantong.

SOURCES
Hain of St. Ives, K. O'Donoghue and A. Appleyard, WSS, 1986.
Travel of the Tramps, twenty Tramp fleets Vol. III, N.L. Middlemiss, Shield Publication, 1992.
Old 12th July 2009, 11:28

My location
Gee! thanks Maritiem! I think that this must be the most comprehensive list of the Hain SS fleet I've ever seen on the net!.
Old 12th July 2009, 17:49

HN Masters I can remember,
L J Annett (Paddy) sailed with him on Trefusis and Merkara.
Captain Lennox also on Merkara. There were quite a few Polish nationals in both HN and BI that came to the UK during war time.
Captain Sellars sailed with him on Kohinur.
Captain Armstrong I think went to P&O Ferries.
Captain Quigley went to P&O Ferries.
I have an old fleet list somewhere circa 1971, probably the last one will have to search for it.

regards
Dave
Old 12th July 2009, 17:58

I will say thank you as well, is this a copy of the history nolonger available on BOT Aquaintences?

To answer Slicks question. Yes Capt Lennox was Polish although I dont know how he changed his name. He joined the Free Polish Navy and spent quite some time on MTB's in the channel but they were not armed as they were not trusted to begin with. At the end of hostilities he cadged lifts across Europe and into the Soviet zone to find his girlfriend and brought her out and they married. They lived in Harrow west London while he was at sea. He was a major contributer to my swallowing the anchor as one evening on the bridge he was chatting and said that it was his sons 21st birthday and he had been totting things up and had seen him for a total of 5 years in the past 21. I rather think that for all the good things it was rather a waste of life and I tended to agree. He was a man I greatly admired and only saw him loose his cool once when an apprentice arrived in the saloon for a meal looking very scruffy. It never happened again ! A good man who has probably crtossed the bar by now.

I remember Billy the Wit very well loved enjoying someone elses whisky, after the first bottle which enjoyed while was on watch I was not caught again. Lived in Wallesey with a pair of admirable daughters I recall, who attrected much attention when they visited with their mother.

Last edited by treboats : 12th July 2009 at 18:01.
Old 13th July 2009, 09:14

Dear All,
There is a book titled 'Hain of St Ives' by K.J.O'Donoghue and H.S.Appleyard published by the World Ship Society which gives a potted history of the company and many photographs.

There is also a great book titled '1700 miles in open boats' by Cecil Foster. This is the account of the loss of the S S Trevessa by her Master, this book has become quite collectable and if you see it you should grab it.

regards
Dave
Old 13th July 2009, 09:58

All,
Re the Trevessa's boats journey there are pieces of Memorial silver etc to this epic voyage in HQS Wellington on the Embankment.
Yours aye,

Slick
Old 13th July 2009, 10:54
Super Moderator
Active: 1952 - 1965

Congratulations Maritiem on your time and typing skills to have put so much detail and facts into the Hain History on this site. Thank You.
Old 25th July 2009, 13:44

I would like to thank all for the letters and information on the "Tre" boats.I had forgot about Trevessa day in Mauritius,we called in there for sugar,on Trevessa day,and had a great time at the seamans club.We were the first Tre boat to visit on Trevessa day.Happy memories,thanks again. George McMaster
Old 27th September 2009, 15:28

I started with Nourse Line in '61 on the Indus, then Kallada, Nurjehan, Trefusis (3 times) Tremayne, Atherstone, Kohinur, Trecarrell, Treneglos, Tremeadow and Trevalgan. So I have sailed with or am familiar with most of the names mentioned in the HN threads. It's just some of the faces that won't come back into focus. Talking of which, that is me, the good looking one, on the right in one of the Atherstone pics on Macphail's post above. Do you remember John, we used to share at least 6 cold beers after coming off watch at midnight and were sometimes still at it when the next watch came off at 0400. Might have been alright for you engine wallahs, replenishing lost body fluids, but it used to play havoc with my water works for the rest of the night. Oranjeboom was the worst offender, if I recall. The other 3rd Eng in your pics was Tim BREEN, who I sailed with again when he was Chief. I did keep the names of all earlier shipmates but neglected to do so after '66 so everything after that is a bit of a blur.
Some Masters' names that appear in my discharge book but not above include Ryan, Dodson, Darby, Abbott, Alexander, Robinson, Lister and Thorpe. Others I can't decipher, or remember. Sad, isn't it?
I was on Trefusis in Japan, late '69 ?, when we changed from white crew to Chinese, the first Hains ship to do so I think, certainly post war. That was probably the beginning of the end as the bean counters started to take control. I came ashore in '72 and look back on those days, when it wasn't an offence to enjoy yourself at work, with great fondness. There was never a dull moment, particularly on the white crew ships.