Ships Nostalgia banner

Eastham depot

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  marlinspike 
#1 ·
Can any R/O remember being at the Eastham Marconi depot waiting for his next posting in that waiting room with usually about 5 or 10 other hopefulls
wondering what fate had in store for them and which ship they had found for him,not only this but being called to the dispatcher in the next room by the most god awful morse which nobody could read and usually ended up by everyone asking who the hell was that for !!
All this in the far and distant past around 1953/54

Pat

#4 ·
They'd stopped that business of calling people in with a morse signal by the time I worked for Marconi. My only visit to East Ham Depot was when I missed a ship in Immingham and got a train down to London - not a good look! I survived to have a couple of years of further mishaps with the company. And what a caring company they were.

John T.

#8 ·
You mean that you didnt take advantage and do things like that??, and revel in the culture and society of the countries you visited. I am suprised at you. I did and look at me now!!. What exactly did you do when you were at sea eh??, apart from drink???, come on.. tell us. lol.

B\) :) [=P]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.