Grayson, Rollo & Clover - Ships Nostalgia
06:59

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Grayson, Rollo & Clover

Old 2nd February 2009, 16:01

My location
Grayson, Rollo & Clover

Shipyard alongside Cammell Lairs on the Mersey. David King, aged 72, - well here is his email to me, see for yourself:

Quote:
I am looking for any information about the above ship repair yard in which I served my apprenticeship from 1953 onwards.
Quote:
The yard was at Woodside along side the ferry and the railway station. It had 6 dry docks when I worked there, these have given way to a modern block of flats. I am now aged 72 and I would like to try put my memories and recollection down along side factual details. I have placed request for information on various forums, Birkenhead Archives and the Maritime Museum, but up now without any success.Can you help? Regards David King

I found a couple of links in google for him, but does anyone have any images?
Old 2nd February 2009, 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kemble View Post
Shipyard alongside Cammell Lairs on the Mersey. David King, aged 72, - well here is his email to me, see for yourself:

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][color=#0000ff]

Mike,
I worked in Clovers for a few weeks in the early sixties as a stager. The boss was Billy Eaton. I returned in the seventies, when the yard had been taken over by Cammell Laird, as a crane driver.
I was the designated driver for the 50 ton crane at No 1 dock, immediately adjacent to Woodside Ferry.
The yard closed in 1978, and in the early eighties, all the docks were filled in. On the site of No 1 dock, the Child Support Agency office was built. The rest of the area became flats and houses
I had taken a few photos while up the crane over the years, and these are posted in my gallery on this site.
Some are listed below, feel free to send them to David.
Regards,
Pat

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...9/ppuser/12939
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...7/ppuser/12939
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...4/ppuser/12939
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...1/ppuser/12939
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...5/ppuser/12939
Old 2nd February 2009, 19:21
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Mike,

If you click on the white 'Search Forums' text (just above the time, at the upper right hand side of the page) and type in Grayson, or Grayson Rollo, or even Grayson Rollo & Clover, you will be presented with a new page with several posts on it - the results of your search.

If you click on each post in turn, and scroll down the page, you will come to one or more posts with the words that you typed in the search, printed in bold letters, so that you can easily pick them out.

There are several, including posts from other members that also worked at the yard - you may know them.

Good luck

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
Old 2nd February 2009, 19:34

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
Mike,

If you click on the white 'Search Forums' text (just above the time, at the upper right hand side of the page) and type in Grayson, or Grayson Rollo, or even Grayson Rollo & Clover, you will be presented with a new page with several posts on it - the results of your search.

If you click on each post in turn, and scroll down the page, you will come to one or more posts with the words that you typed in the search, printed in bold letters, so that you can easily pick them out.

There are several, including posts from other members that also worked at the yard - you may know them.

Good luck
Thanks, will pass it on to David. Grateful, as always for all your expertise.
Old 3rd February 2009, 21:30

Here is a book on them : Brooks – Colin 1956 Graysons of Liverpool – a history of Grayson, Rollo and Clover Docks Ltd ISBN t3814140 which has the history of the firm, perhaps his local library could get it for him.

chris.
Old 3rd February 2009, 22:19

My location
David has now joined up and will be reading your replies, again, my thanks.
Old 27th June 2009, 09:04

Dave King

Quote:

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=2][color=#0000ff]

Hello Mike
I am a new member and unable to get around this site very well. I wonder if you can help me to get information how to contact Dave King as I think I worked with him in Graysons at That time

Regards
David Hambley
Old 27th June 2009, 19:32

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hambley View Post
Hello Mike
I am a new member and unable to get around this site very well. I wonder if you can help me to get information how to contact Dave King as I think I worked with him in Graysons at That time

Regards
David Hambley
look in the members list for him and send him a pm
Old 22nd July 2009, 23:13

Clover Clayton

My Grandfather, William McCubbin, was Foreman Joiner at Clover Clayton from about 1898 to 1930. I realise there is unlikely to be anyone around now who remmembers him but amonst his papers was the attached photograph of what was then Clover Clayton taken I think in the early 1900's. It clearly shows the 6 Dry Docks with one of them showing the timbers used to keep the docked ship upright. One of the ships may be Ellerman by it's Funnel..

He was responsible for hiring the required joiners to carry out the work for the day and in the 1920's there is a letter he wrote to a Canadian friend describing the system of hiring men for the job as being entirely inappropriate. He also pointed out that there was no incentive for the men to complete a job efficiently and quickly because the quicker they finished the quicker they could be out of work.

The picture clearly shows the proximity of Birkenhead Woodside Station and the arches over its platforms and in the background is Birkenhead Town Hall and looking carefully near the station one can make out the Woodside Hotel

The reason for his Canadian friend is that he emigrated from Dumfrieshire to Canada where he was a member of the Canadian North West Mounted Police and then returned and settled in Birkenhead after marrying his Scottish born partner Jane Buchanan in winnipeg where they then settled in Mortimer Street alongside the Town Hall. His Son also William was a Master Mariner and I would be pleased to hear from anyone who has knowledge of him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22-07-2009 22-23-32_0001.jpg (166.3 KB, 113 views)
Old 22nd July 2009, 23:25
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Possibly not early 1900s since it was quite a while before aerial photography became common (its most rapid development - no pun intended - was during the Great War 1914-18).

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
Old 22nd July 2009, 23:26

My location
I can also see Hamilton Square Underground station, was that there early 1900's? I was just going to say aerial photo!!!! I would say this was late 20s.

Edit: Thanks to wirraldon for letting me post this image in my birkenhead section. My annotation below the image reads:

Quote:
In this image, off to the left would be Cammell Laird, above the yard is the A41 Chester Road, to the top right is the tower of Hamilton Square underground station. To the right of the yards is the steam railway terminal. Top centre is Hamilton Square with the tower of the Town Hall. On the dock gates can clearly be seen the word 'Clover' and the timbers shoring up the ships in the dry docks. Second from right could possibly be a Mersey ferry boat. I suspect this image is 1920's possibly nearer 1930. The crews of these ships, whilst in dock, would be 'ship paid off'. Strange thing is that, until the 1960s, not all that much changed. I would take the Ferry, daily, (1965) to the Pier Head coming in on the 21 limited stop from Moreton. (Fare 2d) I remember the railway, still in use, I vaguely recall seeing these dock gates as the Ferry left Woodside. I remember tenements opposite Cammell Laird gates.

Last edited by Mike Kemble : 23rd July 2009 at 07:00.
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:29

If you go to this link there is a very good aerial photograph taken around 1988 of the site of Grayson Rollo and Clover docks. Only No 1 dock remains, and the infilling has been started at the head of the dock. The picture gives a good view of Birkenhead as it was twenty years ago. The Child Support Agency has been built on the site.
Regards,
Pat

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...6346&nocache=1.
Old 23rd July 2009, 13:19

My location
Cheers pat, can i use that one too?
Old 23rd July 2009, 13:25

Pat,

I always understood Hamilton Square to be designated Grade I listed. Is that so?

Brgds

Bill
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:16

Quote:
Cheers pat, can i use that one too?
Mike,
Certainly you can. It was given to me by the late Ray Woods who as deputy director of Leisure Services for Wirral Borough Council, had commissioned several aerial photos of the Birkenhead waterfront.
Regards,
Pat
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:19

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davies View Post
Pat,

I always understood Hamilton Square to be designated Grade I listed. Is that so?

Brgds

Bill
Bill,
I believe that to be true.
Did you know that very recently our glorious Council announced that Birkenhead Town Hall, a beautiful building in it's own right and centrepiece of Hamilton Square is surplus to requirements and is up for sale!
This is in addition to proposing to close most of our libraries.
Regards,
Pat
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:21

Ray Woods, what a gentleman and what a nice man. I knew Ray very well and worked with him and Carole his Deputy on many events, Tall Ships, North Atlantic Celebrations, Wirral Shows and many more. It was such a tragedy when he died and I still miss him. He had a great sence of humour and was very good at his job.

Chris.
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
Bill,
I believe that to be true.
Did you know that very recently our glorious Council announced that Birkenhead Town Hall, a beautiful building in it's own right and centrepiece of Hamilton Square is surplus to requirements and is up for sale!
This is in addition to proposing to close most of our libraries.
Regards,
Pat
Pat,

I used to frequent Earlston Road library when up for Second Mates (FG).
And the SS Peter & Pauls business.Whatever next?

Brgds

Bill
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos View Post
Ray Woods, what a gentleman and what a nice man. I knew Ray very well and worked with him and Carole his Deputy on many events, Tall Ships, North Atlantic Celebrations, Wirral Shows and many more. It was such a tragedy when he died and I still miss him. He had a great sence of humour and was very good at his job.

Chris.
Chris,
Ray was a boyhood friend who I lost touch with after I was married, but met up with again when I started work for WBC about fifteen years later. He was a great guy and is still sadly missed.
Do you remember his band that used to play in the Temple Bar in Dale St? Ray was bass guitar.
Regards,
Pat
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:50

Bill,
You probably remember the Art School that was at the centre of Wallasey Central Park, a large and beautiful building. Well this council of ours, allowed it to fall into disrepair, pleading lack of funds, until finally after years of neglect and vandalism, it was burned to the ground. A shameful waste of a very good community resource.
Pat

Last edited by Pat Kennedy : 24th July 2009 at 18:06.
Old 23rd July 2009, 20:26

Pat,

I remember it well, as the attached (near by) rose garden was a favourite spot for the nuns to take us young ones when was in the Convent.

Brgds

Bill
Old 23rd July 2009, 22:59

Quote:
Mike,
I worked in Clovers for a few weeks in the early sixties as a stager. The boss was Billy Eaton. I returned in the seventies, when the yard had been taken over by Cammell Laird, as a crane driver.
I was the designated driver for the 50 ton crane at No 1 dock, immediately adjacent to Woodside Ferry.
The yard closed in 1978, and in the early eighties, all the docks were filled in. On the site of No 1 dock, the Child Support Agency office was built. The rest of the area became flats and houses
I had taken a few photos while up the crane over the years, and these are posted in my gallery on this site.
Some are listed below, feel free to send them to David.
Regards,
Pat

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...9/ppuser/12939
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...7/ppuser/12939
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...4/ppuser/12939
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...1/ppuser/12939
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...5/ppuser/12939
Pat

Your photos are brilliant.
A firm I worked for used to send plates to Rollo's to be rolled into cylinders for pressure vessels.
Pat , I am chuffed to learn that you worked on a crane at great height, this means that you would make a great look-out in the crow's nest, SEE GRACIE FIELDS NOW.

Regards Nick
Old 18th August 2009, 22:06

Hi

I'm interested in anything people can tell me about my Father's working life in Grayson Rollo and Glover Docks (that's what I knew it as!). Danny Summerville worked there from just before the war until it was taken over by Cammell Laird. He was finally made redundant in 1971. I would love to make contact with anyone who might have known him.

I spent many happy hours in and around the docks, especially when Dad was working evenings. If anybody remember's Danny's son, well that was me!

Many thanks
Graeme Summerville
Old 19th August 2009, 09:22

My location
Quote:
Bill,
You probably remember the Art School that was at the centre of Wallasey Central Park, a large and beautiful building. Well this council of ours, allowed it to fall into disrepair, pleading lack of funds, until finally after years of neglect and vandalism, it was burned to the ground. A shameful waste of a very good community resource.
Pat
One of the reasons I left Birkenhead in 1981. The place was visibly deteriorating daily with a left wing council in charge, in those days comprised of Mil Ten commies.
Old 16th September 2009, 21:15

My location
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...mek/bhead1.jpg

This show G,R & C at the base of the image, date not known