Silver Line Ltd, London - Page 13 - Ships Nostalgia
23:11

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Silver Line Ltd, London

Old 13th December 2010, 10:21
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1996

Shipbuilder. Morning Bob, passed your regards on to Les and he sends his to you, he remembers you well. The incident re the ballast on the Algol was caused by the tank valves failing. Would seem it was a common problen initially, as we had similar problems on the Alice Redfield in the first few months of her service. In operation, the valves refused to stop on the lever causing the shear pins to break or in the worst scenario the gearing to shred. Les said he thinks Alan Stoddart was also on board.
Regards
Old 13th December 2010, 11:19

Thanks,
Glad I didn't imagine it all. As far as I remember, they had filled up the cargo tanks with seawater to the extent that it was pouring out of the open tops that can be seen in the photograph when the incident ocurred. Alan Stoddart was in the standby team, but I am not sure he was on trials, he also sailed for six months.

Initially, I (as R/O) was not required on trials as Camell Lairds normally had their own trials R/O. Anyway, when it came to it, they couldn't find him and Lairds asked if I would like to work for them for the trials. Silver Line said it was entirely up to me, so off I went, getting paid by both Lairds and Silver Line at the same time.

After we got off to sea on maiden voyage, we only got as far as Milford Haven where we had to put in for more adjustments. Then we bunkered in Augusta, Siciliy, before loading our first cargo of crude at Ez Zuetina (Libya) for Houston.

Lightering was awful boring and extremely hot. Although the air conditioning units were great in themselves, the freon pipe crossed the expansion joint and it kept either cracking or breaking, losing the freon. It was a sealed ship and the windows would not open, so it was unbearably hot inside most of the time. It was still hapenning when I left after six months.

During that time we lightered
MARYLAND, JARABELLA, JANE STOVE, TAKATORISAN MARU, SIR JOHN HUNTER andf MARYLAND again.

Once a month we got "let out" to make a short voyage, usually Coatzacoalcos (Mexico), Freeport (Bahamas) or Philadelphia and these little trips made a welcome break. Think it was something to do with US rules regarding length of stay in US waters on foreign ships.

Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 13th December 2010, 14:25

Weren't those first few months out of the yard bloomin awful. The Alice went to the Caribbean, loading in La Salina, Venezuela, and discharging about 10 hours later in Aruba. Mike Lazonby was the Mate and was determined to beat the discharge record in Aruba, set by an Esso vessel eons earlier. This we duly did, but the refinery expected a new record each time we berthed, which turned out to be impossible. Then of course we had the switchboard explosion, which really set us back. A great crowd on board and once we got over the problems, a good vessel too, so all in all a pretty good trip.
Old 13th December 2010, 15:09

I feel our best times on the ALGOL were when we were still in the yard. Long days, going in at about 0800 and coming out at about 1800 with not a great deal to do all day. We were all staying in the MN hotel on good subsistence money, so we all went out together each night. Off home after lunch on Friday and set off back to Liverpool on Monday morning.

When they put the propeller on the third one, ALRAI, I went along to watch. Whilst they were putting it on, I noticed the name ALKAID on the counter. When I told the ship manager, he was a bit sceptical, but on checking, found it was true, different name on each end! I think it may have been that one that finished up as ALICE REDFIELD. The last two were ALMAK and ALVENUS.

At the launch of ALVEGA, they broke the bottle on the bows and nothing hapenned. We all hung around for ages listening to the sound of hammering coming from underneath and finally gave up and we all dispersed. As soon as we got behind the sheds, we heard a distant rumbling noise as the ALVEGA took it in her head to take off down the slip with hardly anyone there.

ALGOL was my only tanker and it put me off them forever. From there, I went to the almost new SILVERAVON that later became BANDAMA. We regularly spent 5 weeks at a time in Abidjan discharging general from Marseilles and loading logs. Then a few hours up to coast to San Pedro to load coffee and more logs on deck and that took another two weeks, then back to the Med.

Rama Ramakrishna was chief and Les Wynne 2nd (later chief).
Nice comfortable ship and fairly trouble-free.

Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 13th December 2010, 19:11

Aye Bob. The Taabo, sister to the Bandama was my last ship as second engineer as I was promoted to C/E on the Carchester. Taabo had a good run, Mediterranean to the Ivory Coast. Don Troupe was the old man, Paul Wakeling the mate and Albert Trotter the C/E. Alan Stoddart was the 3/E and Peter Smallwood the PCS. A good trip with good lads and wives and children too.
ps, the Alice Redfield became the Alkes I think. Chris (Borderreiver) will know
Old 13th December 2010, 19:30

Aboard BANDAMA, we had captains Tester, Robinson & Tuddenham, chief engs, Ramakrishna and Les Wynne. Others remembered were Steve Last c/o, Paul Mellor c/o, Colin Warburton 2/E, Adrian Cooper & Bill Beamson PCOs, Willie Black, 3rd eng, Charlie Leung 4th eng, Paul Bibby 3rd eng, Dennis Dowan 2/0, Pete Jones 3/0. Elec Dave Webster. Dave Webster & I moved on to tiny passenger ship ST. HELENA next (UK - Cape Town run), where we remained until packing it in in late 1992. By that time, we had both married and were fed up of the sea!

BANDAMA was a strange ship to be on, on account of weeks and weeks in port, but a very happy bunch of officers. Remember we had a giant pair of binnoculars aboard, courtesy of Hiroshima Heavy Industries. Believe TAABO had identical pair that got nicked. I was charged with their care and safekeeping aboard BANDAMA and they afforded us hours of amusement in San Pedro, oggling visiting yachts.
San Pedro was strange port as well. Big lagoon, and appeared very safe to go ashore, nobody bothered us. We all used to go up to Arso Hotel on hot sweaty afternoons at week-ends for a swim & a beer or two!

Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 13th December 2010, 22:49

If memory serves me correctly Bob, it would not be yachts you were ogling at San Pedro, but the rather lovely young topless French girls. Sete was similar in the glorious sights too on the northern end of the trips
Old 14th December 2010, 07:00
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 2010

which is why I live near by.
Old 14th December 2010, 07:47

Yes,
Correct, we had some good ports at the northern end, Sete, Valencia, Barcelona, Marseilles, Livorno, Marina de Carara, Port St. Louis. It was a bit more hectic when we were a container ship though, running through Suez to Jeddah with SILVERNESS (TAABO), with very little time in port.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 14th December 2010, 09:24

Now now Chris
Old 18th December 2010, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccurtis1 View Post
lochie
If you are still in touch with Peter Haigh, please give him my regards. He was on the Carchester along with Harry Avery (bosun) and Brian Phillips, both from Sunderland. I was the Chief Engineer.
Will do,I sailed with Harry on the Alvega and with Brian Phillips who was a good mate of mine many times over the years
Old 26th December 2010, 12:39

Been a while since I last logged on and posted anything, but thought I'd like to say to anyone who knows me, hope you all had a great Christmas and best wishes to everyone for 2011.
Old 10th January 2011, 23:15
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1974 - 1981

Silver Line

hi Chris Turner R/O with Silver Line for 5 years ...I think
Silver Forth Altair Alice Redfield Almak etc 76 to 81
Old 13th February 2011, 17:43

Me and my wife were just reminiscing about some of the "characters" we sailed with. Jimmy Wyness and Neil Widdas together on the Spey Bridge take some beating. Any others?
Old 13th February 2011, 18:13

Matty Jack, Norman Tuddenham, Alfie Crowther, Denis Barker, Tony Blackwood, Mike Lazonby to name just a few.
Old 13th February 2011, 19:37

Quote:
Matty Jack, Norman Tuddenham, Alfie Crowther, Denis Barker, Tony Blackwood, Mike Lazonby to name just a few.
Hi Colin
i remember Norman Tuddenham sailed with him on the Forth and Mike Lazenby on the Alice..
Do you remember Captain James T Kirkpatrick????
Old 13th February 2011, 19:40

Quote:
Weren't those first few months out of the yard bloomin awful. The Alice went to the Caribbean, loading in La Salina, Venezuela, and discharging about 10 hours later in Aruba. Mike Lazonby was the Mate and was determined to beat the discharge record in Aruba, set by an Esso vessel eons earlier. This we duly did, but the refinery expected a new record each time we berthed, which turned out to be impossible. Then of course we had the switchboard explosion, which really set us back. A great crowd on board and once we got over the problems, a good vessel too, so all in all a pretty good trip.
Was that the trip we met Coling - Mike Lazonby was mate and then came back as old man!!
Old 13th February 2011, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Frost View Post
Hi
I sailed on the Mv SILVER EIRIK in 1976 from europort to gadansk.
Then on SILVERFORTH from istanbul & left in yokohama again in 1976.
Does anybody remember chief steward Hank Otter,if so please let me know.

Thanks

Malcolm Frost.
hi Malcolm
I remembet Hank Otter didnt he have a glass eye and continually had a cigarette in his mouth under his glass eye

rgds
chris turner ex r/o
Old 13th February 2011, 19:49

Quote:
Come on you old Silver Liners. There are lots of people whom we sailed with who are cworth a comment. Cap Ronnie Safe (the only Master serving with the MN who had a certificate to say that he was sane!!!!, his words) C/E Albert Trotter, Cap Don Troop (was he ever sober?) Albert RN the Chief Steward, Tommy Wilson, another chief steward, Billy Graham, no not that Billy Graham, this one an engineer. lets get this up and running
No Colin he isnt the only one with a certificate
I give you Captn Norman Tuddenham Silver Forth used to boast that he was the only man on the ship that was sane as he had a certificate to prove it!!! threatened to log me once!!! i was a boy what did i know??? happy days
rgds
Chris
Old 13th February 2011, 19:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTurner View Post
Hi Colin
i remember Norman Tuddenham sailed with him on the Forth and Mike Lazenby on the Alice..
Do you remember Captain James T Kirkpatrick????
Tommy Kirkpatrick did a eventful trip on one of the sat 55
Mike Lazenby great guy got the best out of everybody. sailed with him on the Alvega das to aden back and forward. This was the time when some gen part arrived for the wrong engines We had to take then to the agents office left them against the wall in such a position that to get them loaded they had to take the wall down.
Old 14th February 2011, 18:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTurner View Post
Was that the trip we met Coling - Mike Lazonby was mate and then came back as old man!!
Aye Chris, that was the trip. You introduced us all to "Black Russians". A quite potent mixture as I recall of 4Bells, Tia Maria, coca cola and a dash of lime. Journey into space. That was a great trip.
Jock Riddell being relieved as Master by Mike Lazonby. A second mate whos name slips my mind who had a propensity to paint flowers on the bridge wing dodgers. 3/E was Angus Mather, 4/E big Wayne Scott and "Splitters" Steve Cogger, Electrician Dave Lane followed by Stevie Bell and the C/E the smashing Gentleman George Ferdinand who relieved another who shall be nameless. And so many wives on board too. Do you recall the "Queen" PCS? What a trip.
Regards
Old 14th February 2011, 19:05

Do not know about the drink but swimming in the cargo tanks.
did we not have a gen fire in Das 3 engineer George sent home with his lovely wife Sally (still in love with her)
Old 25th February 2011, 21:26
Active: 1972 - 1976

I'm bored and have been surfing, satisfied a little bit of curiosity, I loved my time on the Don,great ship,great crew and great times, this ship apparently was eventually sold on to the chinese(see page 3) and renamed Fei Cui Hai, listed as foundered, foundered alright, it bloody well SUNK and only 3 survivors!! Lets hope the chinese did'nt look after it properly, she was such a lovely ship with a great engine room.
I joined in Aussie, stuck my bags into the accomodation and was greeted with "f..k me its Chris", no one knew I was the relief and pretty much all of the engineers I had sailed with before, as I recall we had rolo wakeham and Yorky Thompson as chiefs john wright was the 2/e for part of the trip anyway, last time I saw John was at the tall ships,the first time they were in the tyne,he was sailing as chief on oil rig supply boats and not very happy with them.

Last edited by chris thompson195 : 25th February 2011 at 21:45.
Old 22nd August 2011, 20:22
Active: 1969 - 2008

lo out there im Bobby Moore (A/B-GP1)i sailed with silverline from 1976-1986.My first ship was Silvermain jioned her in Hamburg Blom n Voss shipyard was there about a month or so then sailed light to New Orleans loaded grain for japan then cars back to New Orleans kept that upfor a few runs then loaded bails of paper pulp for UK.Does any one remember me.
Old 1st September 2011, 20:11
Active: 1969 - 2008

[quote=bobbymoore13;533472]lo out there im Bobby Moore (A/B-GP1)i sailed with silverline from 1970-1976 my first ship was Silvermain joined her in Hamburg(Blom n Voss)was there for a mnth or two re-storing n getting decks ready sailed from there light to Baton Rouge loaded grain for Japan then cars back to New Orleans carried on like that till we came back home 6 month or so later with paper pulp paid of in Lieth.Then sailed on some of the other ships including kemmy tankers had a very good time with Silverline great lads great trips kushty 5 n half year.So if any one who worked with them round that time get in touch