Benlarig 1962-4 - Ships Nostalgia
12:00

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Benlarig 1962-4

Old 10th March 2009, 15:44

Question Benlarig 1962-4

Anybody about who served on this ship during this period
Old 10th March 2009, 15:56
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings Airman and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.
Old 11th March 2009, 06:25
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 2010

My location
Welcome aboard Airman, I am sure you will enjoy SN, a mine of nautical information, a great crew and more than tolerant owners and moderators.

As for your questions, I didn't sail on the "Benlarig" during your time but was a Deck Cadet on her in 59/60 when she was the "Javanese Prince". She had just come off the Prince Line round the world service and changed to a full British crew which was a shock as all of a sudden everyone had to do their own dhobi etc. We also lost the Indian and Chinese galley's and had to adjust to standard Merchant Navy fare.

We did one run to eastern Canada and the States and then went on MoD charter on the supply run to Christmas Island for the H bomb tests. No one asked us to volunteer, no one warned us of the potential hazards and no one gave a toss about us when the experiments were over.

We were there after the main bomb tests, but the whole area was still heavily radioactive. Marine life observed in the lagoon and overboard with clusters at night looked more like bubble headed space invaders than sharks, tarpon and rays. The trucks and heavy equipment we took back to the UK kept the geiger counters happily clicking away 24/7 on the return trip.

I am one of the fortunate ones, apparently there are less than 1,000 army, navy, airforce and MN personnel still alive from the Christmas Island dog and pony show.

The plight of some of the veterans is evidenced at:
http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2009/01/21-5

If it wasn't for the Australians admitting they were there with the Brit's, the whole event would still be denied by those bastar*s in Whitehall whose only contrition was to award us the British Nuclear War Test Medal for service in Radioactive Areas.
Old 11th March 2009, 16:48

Smile keltic star

we faired better than you as I was first officer with a chinese crew running as far as Hong Kong for the said period..at least we saw the good days of shipping
Old 11th March 2009, 17:27
Active: 1959 - 1979

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by airman View Post
I sailed on her from April 62 to January 63. Left her on the trip where she had a problem with cracked cranshaft coupling bolts on the way in to Hamburg.
Old 16th June 2009, 20:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by airman View Post
Iwas 4eng fromdec 63 to april 64 Pryde was captain and cigar murchie was chief eng