J & C Harrison of London - Ships Nostalgia
05:16

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

J & C Harrison of London

Old 14th March 2009, 22:53

Post J & C Harrison of London

I am in the process of completing a history of this prominent London tramp company, which was in business between 1888 and 1979, when it sold its last two vessels, the bulkers HARFLEET and HARFLEUR. I would very much like to hear from anybody who served with the Harrison fleet, particularly those who might have records and photos from their time with the company.

Please note, this is not the Harrison Line of Liverpool. J & C Harrison operated tramps, all with names starting HAR-.

Hope to hear from lots of you soon

Malcolm Cooper
Old 15th March 2009, 18:41

Can't give much info, but for a start there's Bharatkhand and Fort La Monte.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...mpire_Gulliver
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Fort_La_Monte
Old 15th March 2009, 18:56
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Malcolm, I sailed on the Hartismere in 1949,there should be a picture in the gallery of this ship.

John.
Old 23rd May 2009, 15:14

Malcolm

Just in case you happen to get a picture of the Bharatkhand, my Dad sailed on it and has been trying to get a picture of it for years but with no luck. I understand it started life at the Empire Gulliver.

If you don't mind, if you ever come across a picture, would love to give him a copy.

Jeremy Mackinlay
Old 19th February 2012, 21:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinlay View Post
Malcolm

Just in case you happen to get a picture of the Bharatkhand, my Dad sailed on it and has been trying to get a picture of it for years but with no luck. I understand it started life at the Empire Gulliver.

If you don't mind, if you ever come across a picture, would love to give him a copy.

Jeremy Mackinlay
Hi Jeremy,
I hope you re still around! Have just stumbled across this thread. My dad was on the Bharatkhand too, and has proudly hung a watercolour of her above his front door for the past 50 odd years. I would be happy to make a copy if you re still interested.

Sue
Old 2nd November 2012, 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriss49 View Post
Hi Jeremy,
I hope you re still around! Have just stumbled across this thread. My dad was on the Bharatkhand too, and has proudly hung a watercolour of her above his front door for the past 50 odd years. I would be happy to make a copy if you re still interested.

Sue
Hi Sue

Gosh. Just seen your message which you posted so long ago. I would love to have a copy if that is OK. My email address is jeremy.mackinlay@igate.com

What was your Dad's name?

Thanks so much for replying

Jeremy
Old 2nd November 2012, 16:23

Strangly BHARATKHAND(ex.EMPIRE GULLIVER)is missing from M.Coopers book of the history of J&C Harrison.She tookon the charters ships name soon after being bought by Harrisons as the EMPIRE GULLIER and was sold to the charterer.
Old 21st March 2013, 13:35
Department: Engineering
Active: 1973 - 1985

4th engineer on harflure last trip to pusan for hand over to greeks loved the ship great company i actauly repaired standby compressor that had been broken down for years it was a rare roterry engine plenty of parts but nobody knew how to repair it my wife saild with me on this ship great time had in canada and japan
Old 14th February 2014, 07:44

Harrison's of london

Hello Malcolm, I am looking into my family tree and my great grand father was frederick angier harrison, one of the brothers who set up the shipping business. John and Charles were the main partners but frederick was very part of the firm. I found references to the Harcalo. Any information about the company would be very gratefully received. Regards Poppy
Old 14th February 2014, 10:29
Super Moderator
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
Poppy,

there is a book called - Travels of the Tramps - Twenty tramp fleets Vol1 that has a lot of information about J & C Harrison with a full list of the fleet. The author Norman L Middlemiss. I do not think the book is still in print so you would have to either buy it or maybe search it out in a Library.
The vessel you named Harcalo:
Built 1895
Owned 1896-1898
2401 Gross tons.

Sold to Spain and renamed Canecogorta.

There were a further two vessels by this name in the fleet Harcalo 2 built 1904,
and 3 -1933 which became a war loss on 6.6.1940.

Hawkey01
Old 15th February 2014, 12:26

Frederick Angier Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyjazz View Post
Hello Malcolm, I am looking into my family tree and my great grand father was frederick angier harrison, one of the brothers who set up the shipping business. John and Charles were the main partners but frederick was very part of the firm. I found references to the Harcalo. Any information about the company would be very gratefully received. Regards Poppy
Hello Poppy

I published a new history of J & C Harrison in 1912 in which I covered the involvement of your great grandfather in some detail. If you are interested in acquiring a copy, you can get one direct from the publishers, Ships in Focus.

Regards Malcolm
Old 15th February 2014, 15:35

Malcolm,
Congratulations on your book,bought it last month.Enjoyable read.
Old 18th February 2014, 21:11

J&C Harrison's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopermalcolm View Post
Hello Poppy

I published a new history of J & C Harrison in 1912 in which I covered the involvement of your great grandfather in some detail. If you are interested in acquiring a copy, you can get one direct from the publishers, Ships in Focus.

Regards Malcolm
Hello Malcolm, just ordered my copy, looking forward to having a good read this weekend. regards
Poppy