duffle coats - Ships Nostalgia
18:05

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

duffle coats

Old 21st April 2009, 17:17

Unhappy duffle coats

if this has been mentioned before in another b.p thread ,i apoligise.any crew member,s remember the famous black duffle coats we were issued with.in the 70s.also you could purchase the famous T.U.F work boots from the bond.tan colour.one time arriving in lagos ,the customs helped themselves to some stuff from the bond.next time in lagos customs came aboard with their newly aquired tan boots.very smart they looked.
Old 21st April 2009, 17:36
James_C James_C is offline   SN Supporter
Malim Sahib Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation

My location
Black duffel coats could still be seen until recently!
Certainly they were still onboard 'British Skill' as late as 2002, although that was the last time I saw them.

Jim
Old 21st April 2009, 21:53
Department: Engineering

Ah the famous black duffel coat - my favourite memory of them was with Indian crew, who lets be honest were not the biggest lads, in sodden duffel coats on deck in Grangemouth, they were anchored to the deck - seriously they had the dynamics of weebols - they couldn't move and if you pushed them they just rocked backwards and forwards
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:10

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Mechanic View Post
they were anchored to the deck - seriously they had the dynamics of weebols -
Please excuse the ignorance,- but what is a weebol ?

Art
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:29
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

AS refrigeration engineers the NZSCo issued us with first class creamy fawn coloured duffle coats for wearing in a cold hold or working in the brine room. I left mine on board when I paid off in NZ during summer time and regretted it ever since.

Bob
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfabuck View Post
Please excuse the ignorance,- but what is a weebol ?

Art
Same as a weeble

Wee toy people with spherical bodies - "they wobble but don't fall over"
Old 22nd April 2009, 20:31

I remember on one steamship that the 2nd made emergency oil seals for the T/A bearings by cutting them from crew-issue duffel coats, he used the thick bit round the edge of the hood. Each set only lasted a few days before they had to be replaced, but they got us into port. Poor old Indian crew were getting nervous that their duffelcoat was going to be next ....
Old 22nd April 2009, 21:10
Department: Deck
Active: 1980 - 1985

On the "Shoush" in the gulf in 83 I was on evening 8 - 12 watch with only a T shirt and shorts on - it was a bit nippy so i went for a duffel coat. They were all locked away due to our location - I went into the fridges and found the ones the cooks used when storing. I returned to deck warm as toast. The PO said where did you get that ( he had locked the deck crews ones away) - from the fridges I replied - it will be full of cockies he said - he wasnt wrong - ever tried undoing half a dozon duffel toggles in a blind panic?

as soon as it hit the deck several cockies made a run for it - i shivered for the rest of the watch. At 12 I took it back aft and hung it over the stair guarding - there was a lot of swearing in the morning as most of the cockies had "jumped ship" and where cabin sharing with the crew - i was not popular!
Old 23rd April 2009, 09:43
Super Moderator
Active: 1952 - 1965

On a cargo boat going down the Red sea one of the deck apprentices wore his duffle coat while chipping the deck, I asked him why and he said if it keeps the cold out then it keeps the heat out. Say no more.
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:16

Red face reason

the reason i brought up duffle coats is B.P.must have been one of the first companies to issue heavy weather gear.?i remember on g.p.ships lads working in the E/R with only tee shirts and shorts.then B.P.issued all crew with white boiler suites.then the cheap yellow oil skins.didn,t complain though.owt for nowt.but a bit iffy every one wearing white boiler suites.no one could tell the crew from engineers, and officer,s from crew.OUCH.couldn,t even dare think what the r/o,s thought.

Last edited by trucker : 23rd April 2009 at 12:49. Reason: ouch and r/o,s
Old 8th May 2009, 13:10

My location
Ha ....some lovely tales about the Duffel coats .... but, trucker were the cheap oilskins you mention those which were quite a soft, almost suede feel to them? I thought they were pretty good ... lightweight, flexible and pretty warm .... bought some for yachting use ...
Old 8th May 2009, 17:26

Not exactly a duffle coat but a naval greatcoat was heavy and down to your ankles and had 2 rows of brass buttons from neck to bekow the knees.
I sailed with a great chap - Pat Palin -Pangbourne trained. He died a couple of years ago when he was fleet manager for NZ Shipping Corpn.
In 1944 we were apprentices on the Fort Camosun and Pat used to wear his greatcoat on watch. He told me that he had found a great way of resting on watch. As was common then the apprentice kept watch on the windward side of the bridge whilst the mate would be on the leeward side. The windward door of the wheelhouse would be shut to keep out the wind.
Pat had found that if he unbuttoned his coat and stood against a stanchion holding up the monkey isand, and fastend the buttons around it, he could lean back and almost have a snooze.
Anyway one night there was a panic on the bridge - the door flew open and the 2nd Mate shouted Pat to get down below immediatley to get something( forget what). Of course he could not extricate himself without undoing all the buttons so he was in the mire as you can imagine.
Old 9th May 2009, 01:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker View Post
...........in the 70s.also you could purchase the famous T.U.F work boots from the bond.tan colour....... ,

For some weird reason I can remember TUF shoes advertised as having PU88 soles. They were fantastically light and comfortable.

For a little bit of info click on this link http://www.fightingcobbler.co.uk/fc5.htm

and if you want to buy some click this one http://www.selftrading.co.uk/tuf_safety_boots_271006

vasco

Last edited by vasco : 9th May 2009 at 11:24. Reason: the usual, typos
Old 11th May 2009, 15:05

oil skins

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsey View Post
Ha ....some lovely tales about the Duffel coats .... but, trucker were the cheap oilskins you mention those which were quite a soft, almost suede feel to them? I thought they were pretty good ... lightweight, flexible and pretty warm .... bought some for yachting use ...
no these were real plasticy.fell to bits after a couple of tank cleans.still appreciated them,though.
Old 11th May 2009, 15:08

boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasco View Post
For some weird reason I can remember TUF shoes advertised as having PU88 soles. They were fantastically light and comfortable.

For a little bit of info click on this link http://www.fightingcobbler.co.uk/fc5.htm

and if you want to buy some click this one http://www.selftrading.co.uk/tuf_safety_boots_271006

vasco
really good work boots.a couple of lads actually paid off in them,looked good with their wranglar ,tuxedo,s.