Port Pirie - Ships Nostalgia
12:50

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Port Pirie

Old 1st May 2009, 16:12

My location
Port Pirie

Was any of our S.N. friends on the Port Pirie when in fog homeward bound the ship hit the wall at Dover Harbour? I was galley boy, and was cooking porrage when we hit, I think that I was the fastest person to get out of the galley and onto the deck, there were rivets flying everywhere. Good old days.Take care...Terry
Old 2nd June 2009, 07:19

Dover Harbour Hit

Hi Terry,
I am the grand-daughter of Dave Ellis who was an engineer onboard the Pirie when it hit Dover Harbour wall, also with him was Bill Lacey refridgeration engineer. Dave and Bill are still in contact and live in Rotorua, New Zealand. My grand-father told me about the rivits only today when we were looking at some old photos of the shaft tunnel of the Port Pirie the "haunted ship". 11 engine room staff died on that ship in 18 years, my grand-father remembers you, I believe you came from Faversham, Kent. Please reply.

Kayla Ellis
Old 3rd June 2009, 20:26

My location
Hi Kayla. Thanks for getting back to me, and at last someone remembers me ( I look in the mirror to make sure that I am still here ) Your grandfathers name rings a bell, also Bill name, If he is the same person, then he was a good laugh. Yes I came from Faversham, also I lived In Auckland N.Z. now I am back in the U.K. and working as a Chef in Folkestone. I would love to get in touch. Take care.......Terry.
Old 5th June 2009, 09:39

Hey Terry,
No worries, my grand-father said that he remembers you, said you were quite short (as he laughs). Well ever since I was a kid he's been working anywhere and everywhere, at the moment he's working in Queensland, Australia as a Construction Engineer. He's also from Faversham. He would love to get in contact with you, send me a PM for his email address.
I'm sure you both will have alot to talk about.
Take care, thanks for the thread. It brought back alot of memories for him, and its good to see a smile on his face.

Last edited by K urgess : 5th June 2009 at 11:40. Reason: Email address removed as per site policy
Old 26th February 2010, 05:43

Port Pirie

Yes,

If my memory serves, we arrived alongside the seawall around 7.30 in the morning (or close to it) and that was around the middle on November 1964. Some wag fishing off the sea wall nochalantly asked for "2 pints of gold top please" - milk.

I was on watch down below in the E/R - one of two Engineering Cadets.

Something to talk aboout now I am retired and live in Canada.

cheers

workforfun