memories - Ships Nostalgia
23:52

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

memories

Old 28th August 2005, 17:12

memories

Can some of you old hands remember the Market diner opposite pier 90 in New York, Or Joe Beefs in Montreal, I had many a falling down sestion in both of them, I was wondering if they were still on the go, Or are they like me Beached
Old 28th August 2005, 17:31
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
I heard or read somewhere that the owner of Joe beefs died,know nothing about the Market Diner.
John
Old 28th August 2005, 17:52
Active: 1966 - 1971

My location
Spent many a late night in the Market Diner. They had the best hamburgers I ever tasted. I am pretty sure it is long gone now but will check it out next time I go up to New York.

Ray
Old 28th August 2005, 18:00

My location
Just took a look at the location of the Market Diner on Google Earth and it looks like it is now a park of some sort.

Ray
Old 29th September 2005, 00:42

My location
market diner remember it well cold beer long tall glass ps right hand side sally anns tell x crinthia
Old 29th September 2005, 00:54

My location
market diner remember it well cold beer long tall glass ps right hand side sally anns tell x crinthia
Old 29th September 2005, 13:35
Super Moderator
Active: 1952 - 1965

Sally annes,crew would buy up fridges/washing m/cs and store them in working alleyway, looked like a warehouse, until British customs told the company to start charging freight rates to stop them coming into the country. Alley way soon became empty.
Old 29th September 2005, 15:04
Super Moderator
Active: 1952 - 1965

QM2 going to Blohm & Voss Hamburg on November 8th for maintenance.
BC Ferries (Canada) to buy MV John Atlantic Burr from State of Utah for $200,000.
She will be cut longitudally to broaden her from 42 feet to 50 ft to increase car capacity and speed will increase from 8.5 to 10 knots.
Old 22nd January 2006, 23:35

Got snowed in the market diner, never seen snow like it in my life, and I live in the north of Scotland, the thing that got the green hands in Joe Beafs was the locals puting salt in the beer ,
Old 23rd January 2006, 00:12

Have you tried the Watering Holes thread ?

fred.

" and that goes for your little dog too ! "
Old 23rd January 2006, 10:05

Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredkinghorn
Have you tried the Watering Holes thread ?

fred.

" and that goes for your little dog too ! "
Who could ever forget Joe Beefs? Especially the look of disgust on the face of the waiter when someone asked for some chips?...sorry french fries? Sometimes they wouldn't bring them until you asked the right way? What a bar! What a city! Vix
Old 23rd January 2006, 19:09

My location
I remember Joe Beefs well while with CP in the 1960s, including the salt.
Old 24th January 2006, 21:26

Market Diner

There is a Market Diner at 572 11th Ave on the corner of 43rd st. I wonder if this is the one you are referring to. "Port Authority-area diner ranks among the most authentic in Manhattan.

Editorial Rating: Average
The Scene
Rounding the corner and catching site of the Market Diner is like entering another dimension. Not only is it a vision in crenellated aluminum, but the Hell's Kitchen classic actually has a parking lot. "Jetsons"-inspired décor includes gold-flecked formica tables, faux-snakeskin booths, turquoise-and-chrome striped lunch counter, and orange plastic lamps.

The Food
Market Diner goes a step above the standard diner formula with an enormous, varied menu. The Greek specialties, in particular, are delicious. They also happen to make a damned fine milkshake. "

Port Authority-area diner ranks among the most authentic in Manhattan.

The Scene
Rounding the corner and catching site of the Market Diner is like entering another dimension. Not only is it a vision in crenellated aluminum, but the Hell's Kitchen classic actually has a parking lot. "Jetsons"-inspired décor includes gold-flecked formica tables, faux-snakeskin booths, turquoise-and-chrome striped lunch counter, and orange plastic lamps.

The Food
Market Diner goes a step above the standard diner formula with an enormous, varied menu. The Greek specialties, in particular, are delicious. They also happen to make a damned fine milkshake.

Similar Diner Feel with Good Food!
Posted by nicadomi on 10/03/2005
I had the Mexican Benedict and it was delicious. The service overall was pretty good. We went on a Saturday afternoon, and there was enough room in the place. The chef had made a mistake on my friend's order, but they quick took it away and replaced it just as fast.

Pros: Quick Service, Tasty Food, Resonable Prices
Cons: Plain Diner Look
Overall user rating: Recommended
Have not been there myself, but now I'm getting hungry...................
Old 24th January 2006, 21:51

My location
Market Diner...A feed of burger, then down into the bar, Joe Parr and Danny the Porto Rican (Barmen)...do a bit of wheeling and dealing with the Longshore men...the best Bicardi and Coke I every tasted, the mix and taste was just right..Happy days.
Regards
Frank
Old 24th January 2006, 23:27

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by teetime
There is a Market Diner at 572 11th Ave on the corner of 43rd st. I wonder if this is the one you are referring to. "Port Authority-area diner ranks among the most authentic in Manhattan.

The Scene

The Food
Market Diner goes a step above the standard diner formula with an enormous, varied menu. The Greek specialties, in particular, are delicious. They also happen to make a damned fine milkshake. "

Port Authority-area diner ranks among the most authentic in Manhattan.

The Scene

The Food
Market Diner goes a step above the standard diner formula with an enormous, varied menu. The Greek specialties, in particular, are delicious. They also happen to make a damned fine milkshake.

Similar Diner Feel with Good Food!
Posted by nicadomi on 10/03/2005
I had the Mexican Benedict and it was delicious. The service overall was pretty good. We went on a Saturday afternoon, and there was enough room in the place. The chef had made a mistake on my friend's order, but they quick took it away and replaced it just as fast.

Pros: Quick Service, Tasty Food, Resonable Prices
Cons: Plain Diner Look
Overall user rating: Recommended
Have not been there myself, but now I'm getting hungry...................
There were several Market Diners in New York at one time. I'm not sure if they were a chain or just independents with the same name. I think the one everyone here is referring to is the one right across from the Cunard Piers underneath the Henry Hudson Parkway at the foot of W52 Street. Sadly the Diner is gone now although the one you describe sounds very similar to it so maybe at least one of them still survives.
Regards,
Ray
Old 24th January 2006, 23:53

was it every forth drink for free in the diner and the barmen didnt like you putting your change into you pocket every time you bought you just left it on the counter
Old 25th January 2006, 19:07

Yes there were several Market Diners in NYC (at one time as many as 8) owned by the same family that ran the Munson Diners.This one at the cor of 43rd has a lease until 2007 I think. After that.. who knows! It may be the end of an era. (Unlike most ships though, Diners do have an afterlife....The Munson Diner at the cor of 49th St and 11th Ave was moved to its new home at Liberty N.Y. that's waaaaay upstate from Manhattan! Yup, the whole thing was flatbedded right over the G.W. Bridge just about a year ago)
Old 25th January 2006, 21:26

Market Diner

I remember the DIner well, or at least sometimes. Fell off the bar stool once and the others said leave him there as he can't fall any further. Also remember using an ID card belonging to someone else. Him 6ft and blond me 5ft 6 in and brown hair, I had quite a bit in those days. Still got served. Also rember that the diner was home to some of the well known Cunard "ladies". Good memories

Ian Jackson
Old 2nd February 2006, 18:04

do you know of anyone who has photos of the market diner. edcasey
Old 7th February 2006, 02:36

Market Diner

Ed, Here is a picture. You can find some more on Google Images!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 140-mkt3032.jpg (51.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 7th February 2006, 09:30
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - Present

My location
Joe Beef's, not only a great tavern but in my day, the biggest department store in Canada. No display items, but place your order at lunchtime and pick it up in the evening. Don't ask where it came from but when I was a Dock Super there in the sisties, we always knew where the cargo shortages ended up. I remember once that there was a brand new Jag XJS on offer. Don't ask.

Long gone but the history can be found at:
http://endlessbanquet.blogspot.com/2.../joe-beef.html

Cheers
Bob