Bank and Savill Line - Ships Nostalgia
07:50

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Bank and Savill Line

Old 2nd June 2009, 16:59
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 1981

Bank and Savill Line

Bank and Savill R.I.P.
Not too many tears shed from the Bank side. I had hoped to hear from anybody in SSA who knew something about Bank and Savill. Or is it just one of the efforts at the fag end of liner shipping soonest forgotten?
[Message copied on Shaw Savill site]
What happened to the "Dunedin"?
Old 5th June 2009, 16:04

I served with Shaw Savill as a Deck Cadet, including the maiden voyage of the Dunedin. It shows how Savills had changed that it was the only time I ever got to New Zealand! Joined Dunedin in South Shields in July 1980, having spent a few days previously on day work while she was still in the builders yard. Seem to remember passing the Willowbank on the way down the North Sea, then out via Suez to Fremantle, Melbourne, Sydney, Lyttleton and then to New Plymouth where the official naming ceremony took place. Then across to Panama before a Caribbean cruise (?) round the islands, ending up in New Orleans and Houston before returning to Australia and NZ again. It was a great trip, though not without its problems, moreso on the Engineering side as a guy from Harland & Wolff had 2 join us to look after the engines. I have always tried to keep tabs on the Dunedin, lost track for a while as she has had various guises but she was still sailing up to last year as the MSC Jessica. She seems to have lost a couple of cranes but still looks well for a ship that is coming towards the big 3-0. If you have any other information you require, let me know and I'll try to help.
Old 5th June 2009, 20:40
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 1981

Jeremy....

Thanks you very much for your contribution. I am putting together a review of last minute efforts by British cargo liner companies to keep relevant with the onslaught of the new container consortia at the time. Whatever they tried, it was not enough but then neither was a container consortium as it turned out!
Old 19th December 2009, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Macnab View Post
Bank and Savill R.I.P.
Not too many tears shed from the Bank side. I had hoped to hear from anybody in SSA who knew something about Bank and Savill. Or is it just one of the efforts at the fag end of liner shipping soonest forgotten?
[Message copied on Shaw Savill site]
What happened to the "Dunedin"?
Alistair
Just seen your notes about B&S - ah, what happy days swanning around the WI/USG I had! Hope you are keeping well.
Graham Pepper
Old 21st December 2009, 10:20

I am not sure which SSA ship ( I think Illyric in 1960 ) I was on in Bluff when 13 lads from our ship joined 2 from a Bank Liberty ship to form a rugger team. We were soundly beaten by a school boy side who had the benefit of having played before. Still lets me say , last time I played rugby was in New Zealand, it always impesses. I did not visit the Bank ship but it was said that the wiring was so poor you could tell a persons status by the number of hurricane lamps in their cabin.
Old 21st December 2009, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.H.Clark View Post
I am not sure which SSA ship ( I think Illyric in 1960 ) I was on in Bluff when 13 lads from our ship joined 2 from a Bank Liberty ship to form a rugger team. We were soundly beaten by a school boy side who had the benefit of having played before. Still lets me say , last time I played rugby was in New Zealand, it always impesses. I did not visit the Bank ship but it was said that the wiring was so poor you could tell a persons status by the number of hurricane lamps in their cabin.
No, no. That would have been one of Chapmans where there were two grades of status. Those with oil lamps and those who had oil to put in them.