History and information about Lodestone - Ships Nostalgia
01:02

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

History and information about Lodestone

Old 8th June 2009, 18:43

History and information about Lodestone

I am producing a website for the yacht "Bleu de Nimes", which is the ex-RMAS Lodestone, a Royal British Navy degaussing vessel for submarines built by Clelands in 1980. She has recently been converted into a private yacht and is now temporarily stationed in Phuket, Thailand.

I am looking for information and pictures of "MS Lodestone". The reason is that I would like to include an "history section" about the Lodestone on the website. I have no knowledge of navy degaussing ships and I am trying to find the following:

1) General information and schematic drawings of how the degaussing of submarines worked in the 1980's especially with the assistance of a degaussing vessel. What was RMAS Lodestone's role and how did it work?

2) Good photo's of the Lodestone at work or at sea in her glory times

3) Stories or interesting facts concerning the Lodestone, tales of captains or crew who worked on her, voyages she made ....

If there would be any ex-captains or ex-crew that would be interested in exchanging information with me, I would be really happy to talk or email with them.

I have read an earlier thread from 2005 - 2007, and hope that some of you are still active in this forum.

-> Could anyone help me with this, or would you know anyone who could?

thank you so much,

sincerely,

Mrs. Marieke Derks

attached a photo of RMAS Lodestone and one of MY Bleu de Nimes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lodestone.jpg (73.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg bleu de nimes pic missing.jpg (80.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 16th June 2009, 08:40

Hi Marieke, have emailed this link and the Bleu de Nimes home link to several guys who served onboard and are now retired.

ATB

Stewart
Old 18th July 2009, 06:12

Hi Stewart,
Thank you so much, I have received an email from a CE who served on board of Lodestone and he has been really helpful. Soon (when the website is ready), I will post a link for comments on the history section.
Thanks again, really appreciate it,
Marieke