VARIOUS DIGITAL CARDs ;members experiences - Ships Nostalgia
08:41

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

VARIOUS DIGITAL CARDs ;members experiences

Old 26th June 2009, 16:27

VARIOUS DIGITAL CARDs ;members experiences

I do not wish to duplicate other posts but I cannot find one that compares types?
To moderators;
If I have missed it then please delete my post.

I realise that once we have chosen a specific camera we are restricted
to the memory those cameras use.I do wonder how other members find
memory cards which I have no knowledge of?
My first digital camera was a FUJI 2800 with 6xzoom. This used SMART MEDIA which was reliable although is now low spec.
My second camera is a FUJI5000 with 10xzoom using xD cards .
The camera has performed well.
My third camera is a FUJI 9500 with 10xzoom which uses both
xD cards plus COMPACT FLASH. I always use a Pro Delkin 2gig card
which is excellent for my needs, fast enough to capture flying aircraft.
HOWEVER I have had TWO I gig Fuji xD cards fail with "bad sectors".
I would only use the xD card in my 9500 as back-up in emergency.
These were both bought new and returned to Fuji who replaced them.
I would like to know members experiences with their own cards.
ie...SECURE DIGITAL
Other COMPACT FLASH makes (other than Delkin)
Multimedia (MMC)
and memory sticks.

Scorcher
Scorcher
Old 26th June 2009, 16:32
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
I have been using SanDisk for years in my Canon camera,In my Sony Video Cam for stills and in my thumb drive,never had a problem.

John.
Old 26th June 2009, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
I have been using SanDisk for years in my Canon camera,In my Sony Video Cam for stills and in my thumb drive,never had a problem.

John.
Thanks John....they are cheaper than Delkin so next time I will save
a few quid by buying one.
Scorcher
Old 26th June 2009, 17:09

My location
Have Fuji Finepix S9500 and Fuji S8100sd both use Fujifilm XD cards; have 6 M1Gb and 6 H1Gb, I have not noticed any specific difference; the S8100 also uses Kodak SD card 1GB, as does my smaller Kodak V550 (for those pocket moments); I would say there is a marked difference in the speed of storage and upload to PC from the SD card - much slower on both cameras.
Old 26th June 2009, 17:23
Retired, not expired

I use a Samsung Digimax U-CA5 camera with a basic Boots 128mb SD card.

Bought it in 2005, done 7 cruises to various parts of the world with it and had no problems apart from the camera software managing to screw itself up into a ball and delete itself off my laptop a few weeks ago.

I also have a Canon EOS 35mm camera that I develop the films to CD for uploading to the laptop that I bought in 2004, works fine, I have about equal quality with both camera types. I've about a dozen CD's full of shots from a couple of cruise ships and from South America that I have yet to upload to the laptop
Old 26th June 2009, 17:40

Tesco have San Disc SD Cards slim pack of 2 x 2GB for £9.69p. Thats what I have.

Chris.
Old 26th June 2009, 18:15

I have a Panasonic FZ28 with 6Gb MM card, Panasonic D-snap 500Mb SD card, Nikon D40 1Gb MM Card, Nikon 7900 1Gb SD Card, & a Sanyo Xacti 500Mb SD Card. All cards are from San Disc which I am pleased with. I also have 2 mobile phones from Sony Ericsson, each having a 2Gb San disc. My memory stick is from Play.com & is 16Gb, so it holds a whole load of stuff. I guess I like the digital age?

Uploads to PC is very quick on all counts.

Last edited by Pat McCardle : 26th June 2009 at 18:17.
Old 26th June 2009, 18:51

I bought a 2Gb olympus xD card for a special holiday in Singapore - after taking about 700 pics with 2 days left - the band new card failed completely all our pics lost - totally irate !!!!
Old 26th June 2009, 19:02
Retired, not expired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Jones View Post
I bought a 2Gb olympus xD card for a special holiday in Singapore - after taking about 700 pics with 2 days left - the band new card failed completely all our pics lost - totally irate !!!!
That is my one big fear when I use my camera, so I take my laptop with me and download my photo's after each use onto the pooter - generally after a couple of hours or at least daily when on holiday .....something I can't do now thanks to the pooter chucking a wobbly.
Old 26th June 2009, 19:30

Gareth you must be very annoyed about your experience with your xD card. That confirms my distrust of them.
Santos..I am off to my local Tesco hoping they have Compact Flash on offer.
Thanks for all comments !.
Scorcher
Old 26th June 2009, 19:34
Super Moderator
Active: 1952 - 1965

Never had any problems with Sony "memory stick duo" and MS pro duo, duo of course needs an adaptor. The Lexar equivilant to the above is nearly half the price of the Sony.
Old 27th June 2009, 20:33
Active: 1969 - 1981

I have had two Fuji Cameras. The F40fd and the F100fd. Both cameras have given me great service as a handy snapper and they both take the xd cards and the sandisk. I have had problems with the xd cards, they have not failed to take photos but the quality of the pictures has failed me. Now I only trust the sandisk.
Old 28th June 2009, 03:41

My location
Myself, I have found that picture quality depends on basically a few factors; low light and therefore high noise ratio; poor focus depending on limited contrast or brightness of subject; poor light collection etc due to dirty lens and or focusing lenses. Keep all optics clean on a daily basis. Focus on objects other than the difficult subject and keep the button half depressed to take the picture of the equidistant subject; low light and noise can be adjusted either by altering the sensitivity or by altering gamma levels etc in the computer (make sure you only work on the copy file, not the original).
I use the same xd cards in both fuji cameras (9.5 Mp and 11 Mp) with no appreciable difference (except the pixels, of course), have used same XD cards for last three years, taking many many pictures; key thing is to not use the entire memory available and not to constantly erase files just to create space; wait until there are twenty frames left, transfer to PC, etc, then erase clear and start again.
I also do not believe in enormous memory storage; problem with a 7Gb card, all lost; problem with a 1Gb card, a fraction lost. That is why I carry 12 x 1Gb cards.

Last edited by treeve : 28th June 2009 at 03:44.
Old 28th June 2009, 11:01

"have used same XD cards for last three years, taking many many pictures; key thing is to not use the entire memory available and not to constantly erase files just to create space; wait until there are twenty frames left..."

I have not heard that advice before treeve. Interesting comments.
Fuji recommended always to format the card after downloading the images
rather than delete the images.I do this now.They suggested my Fuji9500 was at fault in reading the (Fuji)1gig xD card but the card was faulty in my Fuji5000 plus my Olympus pocket camera.They tested (both) faulty cards and found bad sectors.One thing I NEVER do is to remove the card
from the camera (unless I have to) because touching the surface can affect the performance over time.I agree with you about limiting the memory size of cards.The thought of losing 7gig of shots does not bear thinking about.I use a Delkin Pro 2 Gig Compact flash card in my 9500
with no problems (so far!). I will purchase a 4 gig card as the Fuji9500
can take video clips at 60fps .But I will not take the card out but rather
connect it directly to the PC.
I am wary of card readers because taking cards out and replacing them
too often does not seem like a good idea. Have any members used card readers ?
Are my fears irrational that the constant movements of cards can cause friction to the surfaces over time ???
Scorcher
Old 28th June 2009, 11:28
Retired, not expired

I have a card reader on my Lexmark printer, it also has a PictBridge USB port too, so fortunately although I cannot use the laptop directly for uploading from the camera, I can use the printer as the go-between. I have used both the reader and PictBridge and so far, so good..(touches wood)

I have only ever used the same card in my camera, having said that though I will probably get a larger capacity one (or two) for the 6 weeks I am away next year since I will be leaving the laptop at home.

My printer is a Lexmark X5650...

Digital Media Memory Card Compatibility :

CompactFlash I & II
Sony Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO
Secure Digital (SD) Card
MultiMediaCard (MMC)
Microdrive
Sony Memory Stick Duo (with adapter)
Mini Secure Digital (Mini SD) Card (with adapter)
Sony Memory Stick PRO Duo (with adapter)
SanDisk TransFlash Memory Module (with adapter)
RS-MMC (with adapter)
xD Card Type M, Type H
MultiMediaCard (MMC) Mobile (with adapter)
Micro Secure Digital (Micro SD) Card (with adapter)
Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) Card (with adapter)
PictBridge Certified Port

Last edited by shamrock : 28th June 2009 at 11:32.
Old 28th June 2009, 11:40

My location
As a memory from guitar playing days, I am in the habit of ensuring proper contact by pushing the card in, engaging, and then doing it again, as I did discover one card that offered 'card error' - all I did was to push it in again, and it was ok. The signals received is minute, all it takes is a the equally minute break in contact and there is nothing; remember the amount of data to compile one picture is one fifteenth of the old 64k computers entire memory for progs and manipulation. I use only camera/pc connection, as the contacts are designed by Fuji specifically for picture taking and transfer (or any other manufacturer of cameras) rather than a card reader. I have no doubt that anything involving the numbers of manufacture, by the very fact of percentages, will end up with data handling errors at some stage. There is always a rogue element. To my mind small is beautiful. XD cards are designed to be inserted and removed constantly. I did a calculation - over the last three years, I have taken 70,000 images, I do not generally go above 200 images per card, for hi-res, and 350 for low res. They are generally ship images or historical document (of shipping registers etc) images. I thought that a Fuji camera full-erase was in fact a re-format, by the way? Is it not?
Old 28th June 2009, 12:55

" I thought that a Fuji camera full-erase was in fact a re-format, by the way? Is it not? "

I must state here and now I am no expert ! just someone who learns from his mistakes. For the first four years of taking digital shots I only ever did the "full erase" however after chatting on the phone to a Fuji engineer (very patient and helpful) he explained that the erase function does not erase all data! This had me scratching my head in bemusement until he went on to say ..." only using the format function eliminates all data"
I know other members are expert in this field and have posted this info before .I am sure they will excuse me for repeating it here.
I suppose it is the same situation where deleting data from a computer hard drive does not , in fact, delete it completely. Only re-formatting it does !.
As I say I learn from my mistakes so stand to be corrected if I am wrong.

ps treeve...what was/is your "axe" ???
Scorcher
Old 28th June 2009, 12:58

Thanks shamrock for your comprehensive reply. I am certain it wil help those at the beginning of the digital conversion from film photography.
Scorcher
Old 28th June 2009, 13:07

My location
All deleting does is to add a character in place of the first letter of the filename indicating that the file is dead and the space is available for re-use.
Unfortunately this means that if the next file to be saved is bigger it will be split into any available space. That's the theory as applied to disk drives and I think it operates the same with cards but could be wrong.
A full format may or may not erase all data depending on the system. If it writes all 0s or 1s to the card then it will show any bad sectors etc. If it just re-writes the sector headers then the data blocks can still be there.
I format my Fuji camera's card every so often but mainly as a check that it still works properly.
Didn't know there were any other cards than San Disk.
I've not had any noticeable problems and mine get chucked about all over the place.
But.... I'm an ex field service engineer for computers and I only ever handle electronic components or boards by the edges and the only after touch the closest earthed metal object.
Old 28th June 2009, 14:07

My location
Thanks for that clarification on formatting; I will go away and ponder upon these things .... makes a lot of sense.
First card I got was £70, next batch was £35 a piece; last lot was £7 each.
I do not have the trust in mega memory to keep the same card in the camera.
I often shoot away on a document session, near 1500 at a time. Having spent all day pouring over records, I have no desire to get back home and find I have wasted the whole day (local CRO charges for digital use).
Going away anywhere for any length of time usually results in 2000 images, of which I treat maybe 5 images as useless.
But, in view of the age of the cards, I will now fit formatting into the schedule.
Old 28th June 2009, 14:10

My location
@scorcher ... ps treeve...what was/is your "axe" ???

Sorry - just twigged.
I had a Höfner Congress 1965; home made pick ups, home made pre-amp; home made modulator network (sine and square with noise gen); real reverb (used a long spring to delay the signal) also a tape echo unit (much more active than the electronic versions) and a Marshall Amp; home made 20 inch speaker set up.
The action was brilliant ... life took over; gained arthritis in later years; could not even hold a pencil; recently bought myself a Stagg Gibson Style SA300, less semi-acoustic than the Höfner, but same look, sunburst and action.

Trying to get the fingers working again - it has been 40 years since I played last.

Last edited by treeve : 28th June 2009 at 16:26.
Old 28th June 2009, 19:31

"Didn't know there were any other cards than San Disk."

Sounds like a sound recommendation.Cheaper than Delkin and if as good why pay more?

I will sneak a comment in although off topic treeve.
You had a very individual set up and a distinctive sound as well no doubt.
I knew a great guitarist once who suffered from arthritis, he moved to bass until he could no longer play that.I salute your spirit and determination and wish you well in your endeavour.
I have an American Telecaster and a Yamaha acoustic.Scotty Moore was
my first hero.
Scorcher
Old 30th June 2009, 21:22
Andy Andy is offline   SN Supporter
Chief Officer

My location
Lexar and Sandisk for last 10yrs, never had a card fail with 300,000+ images.
I remember paying £70 for a 16Mb (not Gb) card
Old 30th June 2009, 21:56

"...Lexar and Sandisk for last 10yrs, never had a card fail with 300,000+ images."

two good recommendations ..so good enough for me .Cheers!,
Scorcher
Old 30th June 2009, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorcher View Post
"...Lexar and Sandisk for last 10yrs, never had a card fail with 300,000+ images."

two good recommendations ..so good enough for me .Cheers!,
I paid 35 pounds sterling for a SMART MEDIA CARD READER!
Anyone want it for 25 pounds????
Scorcher